Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

[Consolidated] Chance of upgrade clearing on my flight {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 9, 2019, 8:39 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

[Consolidated] Chance of upgrade clearing on my flight {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2, 2018, 2:22 pm

Programs: 1K
Anyone have experience with the best days to upgrade DEN<->NRT? Looking at a mileage run and by picking random dates I haven't found any open R, but it looks like there are a smattering of upgrades on recent completed flights.
Old Oct 2, 2018, 3:43 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by zdog2x
Anyone have experience with the best days to upgrade DEN<->NRT? Looking at a mileage run and by picking random dates I haven't found any open R, but it looks like there are a smattering of upgrades on recent completed flights.
Mid week is usually the best bet on that one. I find it's more common to find available R at booking for NRT-DEN than DEN-NRT, but YMMV.
Old Oct 3, 2018, 7:01 am

Programs: United
EWR to ZRH on 10/14 via UA134

There's only 5 available business seats and I'm in the queue on a gifted GPU as a plat. Not really liking my chances - any thoughts? Maybe see if I can switch to the day after, which currently has something like 12 free?
Old Oct 3, 2018, 10:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AirborneCattleCar

There's only 5 available business seats and I'm in the queue on a gifted GPU as a plat. Not really liking my chances - any thoughts?
Your chances of clearing that flight are approximately zero.

Maybe see if I can switch to the day after, which currently has something like 12 free?
In general, a Monday departure is a better bet than a Sunday departure. However, it only has ten free (booked 29/39). I'd say your chances are still no better than 5%, given that it's still two weeks until departure and you're at Plat. There is no way I would consider paying a change fee just to waitlist on a different flight. The only flight worth changing onto would be one with upgrade space available for immediate confirmation.
Old Oct 3, 2018, 11:21 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by jsloan
There is no way I would consider paying a change fee just to waitlist on a different flight. The only flight worth changing onto would be one with upgrade space available for immediate confirmation.
This is a hard and fast rule for me. DO NOT pay a change fee unless you can confirm into premium cabin. The alternative approach is known in Vegas as doubling down on your loss.
Old Oct 3, 2018, 11:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There's only 5 available business seats and I'm in the queue on a gifted GPU as a plat. Not really liking my chances - any thoughts? Maybe see if I can switch to the day after, which currently has something like 12 free?
Depending on flexibility you could also SDC via IAD, LHR, FRA, MUC, AMS, BRU etc, given the many TATL flights out of EWR/IAD.
Good luck!
Old Oct 3, 2018, 12:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cesco.g
Depending on flexibility you could also SDC via IAD, LHR, FRA, MUC, AMS, BRU etc, given the many TATL flights out of EWR/IAD.
Good luck!
IAD is the only likely place you can SDC, and that would be a gigantic hassle for a plat using a gifted instrument -- the sponsor will need to call in and reapply the instrument, and there must be open R space (you can't waitlist an instrument within 24 hours of departure).

SDC via a European gateway is unlikely to work because SDC requires UA-operated flights by rule. You might be able to SDC as long as there's a UA codeshare on the connecting flight, but that's not a given.
Old Oct 3, 2018, 12:06 pm

Programs: United 100K, Etihad Gold, Marriot Platinum, Hilton Gold
I'm flying PEK-SFO tomorrow. Do they normally offer cash upgrades for this flight? I've been following it for a week and they have not given any options to do that. Pretty sure the flight is wide open in J since the seat map is open and J = 9.
Old Oct 3, 2018, 12:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks for outlining the details, jsloan.

Fyi, I did sponsor a RPU to a 1K friend, who was able to SDC past check-in at the UC on his own, without assistance from my side.
Old Oct 3, 2018, 12:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by cesco.g
Good luck!
Applying the instrument gets tricky w/i 24 hours.
Old Oct 3, 2018, 1:16 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by steveo
I'm flying PEK-SFO tomorrow. Do they normally offer cash upgrades for this flight? I've been following it for a week and they have not given any options to do that. Pretty sure the flight is wide open in J since the seat map is open and J = 9.
Seems it's only sold 22 out of 60. Have you checked-in yet? And you did not get an offer at check-in? Then your only option is to keep checking on the website or app by trying the change seat option or ask at the airport.
Old Oct 3, 2018, 1:22 pm

Originally Posted by StuckinITH
Seems it's only sold 22 out of 60. Have you checked-in yet? And you did not get an offer at check-in? Then your only option is to keep checking on the website or app by trying the change seat option or ask at the airport.
Interesting. Just checked in, and saw the following:

Currently 38 United Polaris℠ business seats available and 12 customers eligible for an upgrade. I wonder what this means? I''m on the upgrade list by the way, and quite high on it. hmmmmmmm
Old Oct 3, 2018, 1:34 pm

Interesting. Just checked in, and saw the following:

Currently 38 United Polaris℠ business seats available and 12 customers eligible for an upgrade. I wonder what this means? I''m on the upgrade list by the way, and quite high on it. hmmmmmmm
Are you flying Thursday on flight 889? Did you waitlist a GPU? And what was your fare class? If you are high on the upgrade list, your upgrade might clear without having to worry about TODs. But with that load, it's surprising that they have not opened any R space since you waitlisted the upgrade instrument. I have been upgraded 4 days before a flight to PVG when there were only 4 seats left.
Old Oct 3, 2018, 1:39 pm

Originally Posted by StuckinITH
Are you flying Thursday on flight 889? Did you waitlist a GPU? And what was your fare class? If you are high on the upgrade list, your upgrade might clear without having to worry about TODs. But with that load, it's surprising that they have not opened any R space since you waitlisted the upgrade instrument. I have been upgraded 4 days before a flight to PVG when there were only 4 seats left.
No upgrade instrument, I'm on a K fare. I've had really good luck on flights out of PEK getting random upgrades so hopefully I have some good luck on this.
Old Oct 3, 2018, 1:50 pm

No upgrade instrument, I'm on a K fare. I've had really good luck on flights out of PEK getting random upgrades so hopefully I have some good luck on this.
I see. That's why you are not upgraded yet. However, I never saw myself on the eligible upgrade list on an international long haul if I did not waitlist an instrument. So, this is out of my league. Hopefully, you'll get an upgrade but I would not count on it. And hopefully Economy + is empty and you get a hobo First Class if you don't get upgraded. Good Luck!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.