Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

[Consolidated] Chance of upgrade clearing on my flight {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 9, 2019, 8:39 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

[Consolidated] Chance of upgrade clearing on my flight {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1, 2018, 4:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by zagat2
if I wait list and they deduct my miles and co-pay is there a good chance I'll be quickly-ish given a seat/upgrade?
No, I would not call that a "good" chance. It's possible but it's probably more likely the upgrade never clears.
Old Mar 1, 2018, 4:59 pm

Programs: United
Any strategies? Do they sometimes offer you an upgrade when you do online check-in 24 hours in advance?
Old Mar 1, 2018, 5:02 pm
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Any strategies? Do they sometimes offer you an upgrade when you do online check-in 24 hours in advance?
Absolutely. Very common.
Old Mar 1, 2018, 5:16 pm

Programs: Bear Backers
Never had it happen out of sfo. I dont even try anymore.
Old Mar 1, 2018, 6:24 pm

Programs: *
Yes they do and reasonable probability you will clear the upgrade on this route. However, unlikely you will still have a solo middle seat. I personally would happily take any C seat but whether it is worth the copay depends on the situation and your willingness to pay.
Old Mar 1, 2018, 8:10 pm

Programs: UA 1K, UA .53 MM, Marriott Gold, Nexus, GE, TSA Pre, Hertz PC
United flight attendant mentioned that there are 21 GS on UA 2400, BOS-SFO. Granted it's a Thursday night PS flight, but that certainly explains why it's damn near impossible to clear an RPU or GPU on those routes.
Old Mar 1, 2018, 8:32 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by CIT85
3/3 IAD-CDG UA 915. H fare booked a month ago. Business class fares are crazy expensive.
It's now J7 JN7 C7 D5 Z2 ZN2 P0 PN0 R0 RN0
The seatmap (which is not an indication of actual open seats) has slowly dropped from 16 to 14 to 12 and then 11 seats unassigned in the past few days.
Originally Posted by CIT85
This flight is now showing J8 JN8 C8 D8, with 28/36 seats sold on Flight Status. I'm still holding out hope.
Wow this flight went to all economy fares zeroed out since this morning and all E- and E+ seats grey out. It's still J8 JN8 C7 D7.

I wonder what happened? Did tons of XXX-EWR-CDG passengers reroute XXX-IAD-CDG because of weather in Northeast?

It seems that most flight from East Coast to Europe are very full.

Last edited by CIT85; Mar 1, 2018 at 9:00 pm Reason: Checked flights from IAD, ORD, EWR to CDG, FRA ad MUC
Old Mar 1, 2018, 9:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by LRMErnst
United flight attendant mentioned that there are 21 GS on UA 2400, BOS-SFO. Granted it's a Thursday night PS flight, but that certainly explains why it's damn near impossible to clear an RPU or GPU on those routes.
I'm willing to bet many of the GS are in Y too - there is a bloodbath of a fare war on the route and premium cabin fares are dirt cheap right now.
Old Mar 1, 2018, 10:01 pm

Originally Posted by findark
I'm willing to bet many of the GS are in Y too - there is a bloodbath of a fare war on the route and premium cabin fares are dirt cheap right now.
Wow, no joke. One-way Z fares for $669, P fares for $569. Only a $250 difference from Economy to First in some cases.
Old Mar 1, 2018, 11:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Wow, no joke. One-way Z fares for $669, P fares for $569. Only a $250 difference from Economy to First in some cases.
And a $399 P fare if you travel on a Saturday. B6 shot first with $399 every day but only DL has matched so far. The base there is actually a $549 14-day P fare and a $649 3-day Z fare (if you see higher it's the Q schedule applicable to many days in summer).
Old Mar 1, 2018, 11:03 pm

Now might be the time to stock up on PQM's...PQD's are another beast.

Last edited by SFOrunner; Mar 1, 2018 at 11:04 pm Reason: typo - on phone.
Old Mar 2, 2018, 11:33 am
Suspended

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
Now might be the time to stock up on PQM's...PQD's are another beast.
Some of these P fares have been so good, my PQM is outpacing my PQD by more than 2 to 1. At my current pace, I'll hit Plat PQM before hitting Gold PQD. The CC waiver will likely be my only hope, unless I splurge on a long trip to Asia or Europe in F.
Old Mar 5, 2018, 7:54 am

Anyone care to speculate on the chances of my upgrade (miles + copay) clearing on my upcoming SFO to AKL flight (UA 917)? It's for 22 March, which happens to be the last day of this seasonal route for what it's worth. The current fare classes are:
  • J9
  • JN9
  • C9
  • D9
  • Z9
  • ZN9
  • P9
  • PN0
  • R0
  • RN0
  • IN0
  • I0
  • Y9
  • YN9
  • B9
  • M9
  • E9
  • U9
  • H9
  • HN9
  • Q9
  • V9
  • W9
  • S9
  • T9
  • L9
  • K0
  • G0
  • N9
  • XN0
  • X0
Thanks.
Old Mar 5, 2018, 9:56 pm

Programs: UA 1K
1K flying SFO-PEK Sunday March 18, on V fare with GPU applied at purchase Jan 6.
Currently Business is 36/40 booked, so upgrade chances not looking good to me.
Fare classes are: F6, FN6, A6, ON6, O0, J9, JN9, C9, D9, Z7, ZN7, P0, PN0

With First at 2/8, is it likely that some Business passengers will upgrade, opening up some Business seats?
Also have read that at T-24, place on upgrade list is determined by time of check-in. But on previous flight to China, was unable to check in online, had to do it at airport. Anything to do about that?
Old Mar 5, 2018, 10:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by optimom
1K flying SFO-PEK Sunday March 18, on V fare with GPU applied at purchase Jan 6.
Currently Business is 36/40 booked, so upgrade chances not looking good to me.
Fare classes are: F6, FN6, A6, ON6, O0, J9, JN9, C9, D9, Z7, ZN7, P0, PN0

With First at 2/8, is it likely that some Business passengers will upgrade, opening up some Business seats?
Also have read that at T-24, place on upgrade list is determined by time of check-in. But on previous flight to China, was unable to check in online, had to do it at airport. Anything to do about that?
Assuming those numbers are accurate, it looks like they're willing to oversell business by at least 5. In the recent past, UA has actually opened up R space in this scenario, allowing a passenger to upgrade into the full cabin with the knowledge that someone else will be bumped to First. However, there is no specific policy on this, and it's entirely possible that the flight will go out with you in Y and empty seats (or non-revs) in F.

Time of check-in is the last tiebreaker (after status and fare class), and is only relevant at the gate. If you'd care to visit the airport the day before travel, you should be able to do the document check there, although the agents may look at you sort of funny. I wouldn't say anything about the upgrade list -- they're unlikely to know how it works anyway. If you feel compelled to give an explanation, just say that you were in the area and wanted to stop by because you've got a tight schedule the next day and wanted to avoid any problems with documentation.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.