Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

PresidentialPlus credit card - Benefits, Q&A, .... (impact of 2019 & 2020 MP changes)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 5, 2015, 11:45 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Previous thread -- Presidential Plus Card Changes

Related thread - General Questions re: MileagePlus Flex PQM

This legacy Chase credit card is not taking new applications. Compiled below is a comparison of current card-derived vs. status-derived benefits.

Overall, the current benefits of the PP and the replacement Club card are nearly identical. The key trade-off is increased redeemable mile (RDM) earnings with the Club card vs. FPQM with the PP card. Basically, the Club card earns an incremental 0.5 RDM / $1 vs. the PP card’s 0.2 PQM / $1. This sets a 2.5 RDM : $1 PQM ratio, which puts a price on PQMs earned this way at $0.025 to $0.050. Given that PQMs cost atleast $0.08 or more each if purchased early in the year via award accelerator, this is a pretty good deal for those who anticipate falling short of the upcoming year’s desired Silver / Gold / Platinum threshold.

Benefits unique to the PP card:
- 1000 FPQM per $5,000 spend (or 0.2 / $1)
- FPQMs are only valid for Premier Silver / Gold / Platinum status, expire 3 years after earning
- 1 RDM / $1 card spend (x2 hotel & rental cars for personal card, x2 restaurants, gas, office supplies for business card)
- Premier Qualifying Dollar (PQD) waiver (no minimum card spend, doesn’t apply to 1K)

Benefits unique to the Club card:
- 1.5 RDM / $1 card spend
- PQD waiver (with $25,000 minimum card spend, doesn’t apply to 1K)

Benefits shared between PP and Club cards:
- $395 annual fee
- United club membership (vs. $450 1K/GS, $500 Platinum, $550 Gold, $550 Silver, $550 GM, +$550 with spouse)
- Waiver of 4 segment on United flights for Premier qualification (removed in 2020)
- Premier Access (group 2 boarding)
- 2 free checked bags (vs. 1 Silver, 2 Gold, 3 Platinum)
- Hyatt Gold Passport Platinum
- Hertz Hertz President's Circle status (vs. Five Star for Premier Silver / Gold) (expiring 31 January 2023)
- CPU on award tickets
- No <21 day award booking fees (vs. $50 Silver, $25 Gold, $0 Platinum)
- No foreign transaction fees
- Concierge service

Benefits compared to Explorer card:
- only $95 annual fee
- only 1 free bag for cardholder and 1 companion
- 1 RDM / $1 card spend, +10,000 bonus after $25,000 card spend)
- 2 single-use club passes
- Premier Access (group 2 boarding)
- Premier Qualifying Dollar waiver (with $25,000 minimum card spend)

Sources (accessed Jan 1, 2015):

Chase United Card Benefits
https://www.chase.com/online/Credit-...ewards-new.htm

United Premier Status Benefits
http://www.united.com/web/en-US/cont...r/default.aspx

United Premier Status Qualification Requirements
Premier status qualification requirements

Prior FlyerTalk thread on Presidential Plus card changes
Presidential Plus Card Changes

Based on post by pstrasma
Print Wikipost

PresidentialPlus credit card - Benefits, Q&A, .... (impact of 2019 & 2020 MP changes)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3, 2020, 3:03 pm

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, HH Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Plat, Bonvoy Gold
My $450 annual fee is due on my current statement, so I called the customer service number on the card and was offered a $200 statement credit right off the bat.
Old Nov 5, 2020, 8:58 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, IHG Silver, Hilton Silver, Hertz PC, National Exec Elite, Avis PC
Originally Posted by JonIND
My $450 annual fee is due on my current statement, so I called the customer service number on the card and was offered a $200 statement credit right off the bat.
I called today and got $100, but my fee is normally $395, so maybe that is why I was offered less? It didn't seem to matter that I already used miles to pay the annual fee.
Old Nov 5, 2020, 4:18 pm

Just called in today. Instantly got the $200 statement credit offer without pushback after bringing up the concerns (no travel + clubs closure).
Old Nov 14, 2020, 3:16 pm

An I correct in understanding the latest pqp rules for 2021 for pres plus

1. I can earn 10,000 pqp through spend
2. Assuming I have plat status in 2020 I get 2500 pqps to start
3. I can apply 2500 fpqps and hit 1k but only after 4 eligible fights?
Old Nov 14, 2020, 3:37 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by be001
An I correct in understanding the latest pqp rules for 2021 for pres plus
3. I can apply 2500 fpqps and hit 1k but only after 4 eligible fights?
No. This last item is incorrect because they have still prohibited 1K status from being obtained through the use of the legacy FPQP formerly FPQM. You can fly and earn PQP in addition to the early 2021 deposit from United and then your credit card spend (10,000 PQP) maximum would make it eligible. Basically, the PQPs from the Presidential Plus need to be new spending PQPs.

I wish they would let us burn those FPQPs up to 1K.
Old Nov 14, 2020, 9:21 pm

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Avis Pres, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by Micp3208
I wish they would let us burn those FPQPs up to 1K.
Amen to that. Or let me use them for *anything*.... heck, I'd take trading them for wifi at this point.
Xyzzy, Say Vandelay and Mightyduk like this.
Old Nov 15, 2020, 7:57 am

Programs: UA 1K
With 2023 rapidly approaching, there is not a lot of time left for United and Chase to worry about these legacy FPQPs. After drastic changes, the first one being expiration dates and the second being elimination of the FLEX model, I am disappointed Chase could not negotiate a better way to handle these balances. Now that new PQP can go to 1K, I would be willing to accept a conversion of 2:1 or even 3 or 5 to 1 in an attempt to burn them up if they could allow reaching 1K. Maybe even something like the option to convert the FPQP to regular miles at an even better rate would be acceptable.

With flying being depressed for the near-term, it probably would not even impact any balance sheets in a meaningful way for the next year.

Thoughts?
Mightyduk likes this.
Old Nov 15, 2020, 8:46 pm

Programs: Ikon Pass Full + AS Gold + Marriott Titanium + Hilton Gold. Recovering UA Plat. LT lounge AA+DL+UA
Originally Posted by Micp3208
With 2023 rapidly approaching, there is not a lot of time left for United and Chase to worry about these legacy FPQPs. After drastic changes, the first one being expiration dates and the second being elimination of the FLEX model, I am disappointed Chase could not negotiate a better way to handle these balances. Now that new PQP can go to 1K, I would be willing to accept a conversion of 2:1 or even 3 or 5 to 1 in an attempt to burn them up if they could allow reaching 1K. Maybe even something like the option to convert the FPQP to regular miles at an even better rate would be acceptable.

With flying being depressed for the near-term, it probably would not even impact any balance sheets in a meaningful way for the next year.

Thoughts?
We're a shrinking group of legacy customers. This is literally the last Continental product on the market---and they did not adjust its benefits with the new United Club benefits. I'd be happy if they allowed us to switch to the United Club card and maintained whatever annual fee we still pay. In my case the $99 fee as a life club member is worth it. (Although in 2020 the big benefit is the MasterCard World Elite mobile phone insurance for what it is worth.)
elitefreak likes this.
Old Nov 15, 2020, 9:36 pm

Originally Posted by worldwidedreamer
We're a shrinking group of legacy customers. This is literally the last Continental product on the market---and they did not adjust its benefits with the new United Club benefits. I'd be happy if they allowed us to switch to the United Club card and maintained whatever annual fee we still pay. In my case the $99 fee as a life club member is worth it. (Although in 2020 the big benefit is the MasterCard World Elite mobile phone insurance for what it is worth.)
What's incredible is how this card is still even open at all! There must be some very heavy spenders among us (myself included for business purposes) that they keep diluting the benefits ever so slightly to keep us "hooked"
Old Nov 16, 2020, 10:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by dmurphynj
Amen to that. Or let me use them for *anything*.... heck, I'd take trading them for wifi at this point.
Sadly, they are anything BUT flexible. As a 2MM+ flyer, I can't use mine either.
Old Nov 19, 2020, 3:11 pm

Programs: Ikon Pass Full + AS Gold + Marriott Titanium + Hilton Gold. Recovering UA Plat. LT lounge AA+DL+UA
Received a pretty compelling targeted promotion for the PP card today. Anyone else receive this or something better/worse?

20k miles with $5k/quarter in spend, or $200 inn $50 chunks every quarter use it or loose it.

Which one should I choose?

terms:
Our thanks — your choice of offers

Choose your offer — with our thanks.

Choose between two exclusive bonus options to add even more value to your UnitedSM Presidential PlusSM Card.1
1Terms and Conditions

Terms and Conditions

*This targeted promotional offer is non-transferable and applies only to the account ending in the last four digits referenced in this offer. To register for this bonus offer, you must click the button in the email or log on to united.com/thankyoubonus and complete your registration by December 15, 2020, 11:59 p.m. CT. All bonus selections are final after completing your registration. Promotion period: January 1, 2021 – December 31, 2021. To qualify for this bonus offer, your registered Card account must be open and not in default during the promotion period. If you close your registered Card account at any point during 2021, your reward will be removed from your MileagePlus® account. If you change your registered Card to another product during the promotional period, then you will no longer be eligible to qualify for the bonus. United has the right to terminate this promotion or to change the promotion’s terms and conditions, rules, regulations, policies and procedures, benefits, and/or conditions of participation, in whole or in part, at any time, with or without notice.

**Mileage bonus: If you select this bonus offer, you will earn 5,000 bonus miles after spending $5,000 on your registered card during each calendar quarter of the promotion period. The bonus miles will be posted to your MileagePlus account within 6-8 weeks from the end of each calendar quarter. If you close your registered card account during the promotion period, you are no longer eligible to earn bonus miles from this promotion.

†TravelBank cash bonus: If you select this bonus offer, you will receive four (4) $50 TravelBank cash bonuses during the promotion period. Each $50 TravelBank cash will be issued to your registered MileagePlus account during the first ten (10) business days of each calendar quarter starting in January 2021. Each TravelBank cash is valid for 90 days from the issuance. TravelBank cash is valid for air travel purchases on United- and United Express-operated flights, including ticket, taxes and surcharges and is redeemable on united.com and through the United Customer Contact Center. TravelBank cash is not valid in conjunction with any other programs (e.g., MileagePlus award redemption). If the full amount in the TravelBank account is not used for a transaction the balance can be used toward the purchase of another ticket within the original validity period. However, if you close your registered Card account during the promotion period, any unused portion of the TravelBank cash earned from this promotion will be removed from your MileagePlus account. This offer is subject to all of the TravelBank terms and conditions.

United TravelBank Terms and Conditions:
United TravelBank cash accrued, awards, and benefits issued are subject to change and are subject to the rules of the United TravelBank program and the rules of the United MileagePlus Program, which are expressly incorporated herein. Please allow 6-8 weeks after completed qualifying activity for TravelBank cash to post to your account. United may change the United TravelBank program including, but not limited to, rules, regulations, travel awards and special offers or terminate the United TravelBank program at any time and without notice. United and its subsidiaries, affiliates and agents are not responsible for any products or services of other participating companies and partners. Taxes and fees related to award travel are the responsibility of the member. Earning TravelBank cash does not count toward qualification for MileagePlus Premier status. The accumulation of TravelBank cash does not entitle members to any vested rights with respect to the TravelBank program or MileagePlus program. All calculations made in connection with the TravelBank program, including without limitation with respect to the accumulation of TravelBank cash, will be made by United Airlines and MileagePlus in their discretion and such calculations will be considered final. Information in this communication that relates to the TravelBank program does not purport to be complete or comprehensive and may not include all of the information that a member may believe is important, and is qualified in its entirety by reference to all of the information on the united.com website and the TravelBank program rules. United and MileagePlus are registered service marks. For complete details about the TravelBank program, go to united.com.

See additional TravelBank terms and conditions

United and MileagePlus are registered service marks.

Chase is not responsible for the provision of, or failure to provide, the stated benefits and services. Bonus miles will post directly to your MileagePlus® account and will not appear on your credit card statement.

The Contactless Symbol and Contactless Indicator are trademarks owned by and used with the permission of EMVCo, LLC.

MileagePlus Program Terms and Conditions:

Miles accrued, awards, and benefits issued are subject to change and are subject to the rules of the United MileagePlus® program, including without limitation the Premier® program (the “MileagePlus Program”), which are expressly incorporated herein. Please allow 6–8 weeks after completed qualifying activity for miles to post to your account. United® may change the MileagePlus Program including, but not limited to, rules, regulations, travel awards and special offers or terminate the MileagePlus Program at any time and without notice. United and its subsidiaries, affiliates and agents are not responsible for any products or services of other participating companies and partners. Taxes and fees related to award travel are the responsibility of the member. Bonus award miles, award miles and any other miles earned through non-flight activity do not count toward qualification for Premier status unless expressly stated otherwise. The accumulation of mileage or Premier status or any other status does not entitle members to any vested rights with respect to the MileagePlus Program. All calculations made in connection with the MileagePlus Program, including without limitation with respect to the accumulation of mileage and the satisfaction of the qualification requirements for Premier status, will be made by United Airlines® and MileagePlus in their discretion and such calculations will be considered final. Information in this communication that relates to the MileagePlus Program does not purport to be complete or comprehensive and may not include all of the information that a member may believe is important, and is qualified in its entirety by reference to all of the information on the united.com website and the MileagePlus Program rules. United and MileagePlus are registered service marks. For complete details about the MileagePlus Program, go to united.com.

See additional MileagePlus terms and conditions

Please choose your option. Your selection cannot be changed after registration.

• Up to 20,000 bonus miles**Use your bonus miles for merchandise, award flights, upgrades and more. Earn 5,000 bonus miles each quarter in 2021 for a total of up to 20,000 bonus miles when you spend $5,000 per calendar quarter on your UnitedSM Presidential PlusSM Card.

• Up to $200 in TravelBank cash†Use toward your next flight on United® or United Express®. Receive $50 in TravelBank Cash each quarter in 2021, valid for 90 days from issue date.
Register now
Old Nov 19, 2020, 3:47 pm

Programs: UA Million Miler, Lifetime United Club member
Received a pretty compelling targeted promotion for the PP card today. Anyone else receive this or something better/worse?

20k miles with $5k/quarter in spend, or $200 inn $50 chunks every quarter use it or loose it.

terms:

Choose between two exclusive bonus options to add even more value to your UnitedSM Presidential PlusSM Card.1
1Terms and Conditions

Terms and Conditions

*This targeted promotional offer is non-transferable and applies only to the account ending in the last four digits referenced in this offer. To register for this bonus offer, you must click the button in the email or log on to united.com/thankyoubonus and complete your registration by December 15, 2020, 11:59 p.m. CT. All bonus selections are final after completing your registration. Promotion period: January 1, 2021 – December 31, 2021. To qualify for this bonus offer, your registered Card account must be open and not in default during the promotion period. If you close your registered Card account at any point during 2021, your reward will be removed from your MileagePlus® account. If you change your registered Card to another product during the promotional period, then you will no longer be eligible to qualify for the bonus. United has the right to terminate this promotion or to change the promotion’s terms and conditions, rules, regulations, policies and procedures, benefits, and/or conditions of participation, in whole or in part, at any time, with or without notice.

**Mileage bonus: If you select this bonus offer, you will earn 5,000 bonus miles after spending $5,000 on your registered card during each calendar quarter of the promotion period. The bonus miles will be posted to your MileagePlus account within 6-8 weeks from the end of each calendar quarter. If you close your registered card account during the promotion period, you are no longer eligible to earn bonus miles from this promotion.

†TravelBank cash bonus: If you select this bonus offer, you will receive four (4) $50 TravelBank cash bonuses during the promotion period. Each $50 TravelBank cash will be issued to your registered MileagePlus account during the first ten (10) business days of each calendar quarter starting in January 2021. Each TravelBank cash is valid for 90 days from the issuance. TravelBank cash is valid for air travel purchases on United- and United Express-operated flights, including ticket, taxes and surcharges and is redeemable on united.com and through the United Customer Contact Center. TravelBank cash is not valid in conjunction with any other programs (e.g., MileagePlus award redemption). If the full amount in the TravelBank account is not used for a transaction the balance can be used toward the purchase of another ticket within the original validity period. However, if you close your registered Card account during the promotion period, any unused portion of the TravelBank cash earned from this promotion will be removed from your MileagePlus account. This offer is subject to all of the TravelBank terms and conditions.

United TravelBank cash accrued, awards, and benefits issued are subject to change and are subject to the rules of the United TravelBank program and the rules of the United MileagePlus Program, which are expressly incorporated herein. Please allow 6-8 weeks after completed qualifying activity for TravelBank cash to post to your account. United may change the United TravelBank program including, but not limited to, rules, regulations, travel awards and special offers or terminate the United TravelBank program at any time and without notice. United and its subsidiaries, affiliates and agents are not responsible for any products or services of other participating companies and partners. Taxes and fees related to award travel are the responsibility of the member. Earning TravelBank cash does not count toward qualification for MileagePlus Premier status. The accumulation of TravelBank cash does not entitle members to any vested rights with respect to the TravelBank program or MileagePlus program. All calculations made in connection with the TravelBank program, including without limitation with respect to the accumulation of TravelBank cash, will be made by United Airlines and MileagePlus in their discretion and such calculations will be considered final. Information in this communication that relates to the TravelBank program does not purport to be complete or comprehensive and may not include all of the information that a member may believe is important, and is qualified in its entirety by reference to all of the information on the united.com website and the TravelBank program rules. United and MileagePlus are registered service marks. For complete details about the TravelBank program, go to united.com.

Chase is not responsible for the provision of, or failure to provide, the stated benefits and services. Bonus miles will post directly to your MileagePlus® account and will not appear on your credit card statement.

The Contactless Symbol and Contactless Indicator are trademarks owned by and used with the permission of EMVCo, LLC.

Miles accrued, awards, and benefits issued are subject to change and are subject to the rules of the United MileagePlus® program, including without limitation the Premier® program (the “MileagePlus Program”), which are expressly incorporated herein. Please allow 6–8 weeks after completed qualifying activity for miles to post to your account. United® may change the MileagePlus Program including, but not limited to, rules, regulations, travel awards and special offers or terminate the MileagePlus Program at any time and without notice. United and its subsidiaries, affiliates and agents are not responsible for any products or services of other participating companies and partners. Taxes and fees related to award travel are the responsibility of the member. Bonus award miles, award miles and any other miles earned through non-flight activity do not count toward qualification for Premier status unless expressly stated otherwise. The accumulation of mileage or Premier status or any other status does not entitle members to any vested rights with respect to the MileagePlus Program. All calculations made in connection with the MileagePlus Program, including without limitation with respect to the accumulation of mileage and the satisfaction of the qualification requirements for Premier status, will be made by United Airlines® and MileagePlus in their discretion and such calculations will be considered final. Information in this communication that relates to the MileagePlus Program does not purport to be complete or comprehensive and may not include all of the information that a member may believe is important, and is qualified in its entirety by reference to all of the information on the united.com website and the MileagePlus Program rules. United and MileagePlus are registered service marks. For complete details about the MileagePlus Program, go to united.com.

• Up to 20,000 bonus miles**Use your bonus miles for merchandise, award flights, upgrades and more. Earn 5,000 bonus miles each quarter in 2021 for a total of up to 20,000 bonus miles when you spend $5,000 per calendar quarter on your UnitedSM Presidential PlusSM Card.

• Up to $200 in TravelBank cash†Use toward your next flight on United® or United Express®. Receive $50 in TravelBank Cash each quarter in 2021, valid for 90 days from issue date.
Register now
I didn't get it but I only pay $100 as lifetime PC (now UC) member.
Old Nov 19, 2020, 4:06 pm

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA EXP+LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, Marriott PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt Glob, Avis CHM

terms:

1Terms and Conditions

Terms and Conditions

Register now
Any link?
Old Nov 19, 2020, 4:18 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
1% UA cash back or 1 mile per $, mediocre bonus IMO but if you were going to use the card anyways
Old Nov 19, 2020, 4:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
"Each TravelBank cash is valid for 90 days from the issuance."

So if taking the $50 instead of 5,000 miles, one had best be sure of plans to fly every quarter.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.