Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

PresidentialPlus credit card - Benefits, Q&A, .... (impact of 2019 & 2020 MP changes)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 5, 2015, 11:45 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Previous thread -- Presidential Plus Card Changes

Related thread - General Questions re: MileagePlus Flex PQM

This legacy Chase credit card is not taking new applications. Compiled below is a comparison of current card-derived vs. status-derived benefits.

Overall, the current benefits of the PP and the replacement Club card are nearly identical. The key trade-off is increased redeemable mile (RDM) earnings with the Club card vs. FPQM with the PP card. Basically, the Club card earns an incremental 0.5 RDM / $1 vs. the PP card’s 0.2 PQM / $1. This sets a 2.5 RDM : $1 PQM ratio, which puts a price on PQMs earned this way at $0.025 to $0.050. Given that PQMs cost atleast $0.08 or more each if purchased early in the year via award accelerator, this is a pretty good deal for those who anticipate falling short of the upcoming year’s desired Silver / Gold / Platinum threshold.

Benefits unique to the PP card:
- 1000 FPQM per $5,000 spend (or 0.2 / $1)
- FPQMs are only valid for Premier Silver / Gold / Platinum status, expire 3 years after earning
- 1 RDM / $1 card spend (x2 hotel & rental cars for personal card, x2 restaurants, gas, office supplies for business card)
- Premier Qualifying Dollar (PQD) waiver (no minimum card spend, doesn’t apply to 1K)

Benefits unique to the Club card:
- 1.5 RDM / $1 card spend
- PQD waiver (with $25,000 minimum card spend, doesn’t apply to 1K)

Benefits shared between PP and Club cards:
- $395 annual fee
- United club membership (vs. $450 1K/GS, $500 Platinum, $550 Gold, $550 Silver, $550 GM, +$550 with spouse)
- Waiver of 4 segment on United flights for Premier qualification (removed in 2020)
- Premier Access (group 2 boarding)
- 2 free checked bags (vs. 1 Silver, 2 Gold, 3 Platinum)
- Hyatt Gold Passport Platinum
- Hertz Hertz President's Circle status (vs. Five Star for Premier Silver / Gold) (expiring 31 January 2023)
- CPU on award tickets
- No <21 day award booking fees (vs. $50 Silver, $25 Gold, $0 Platinum)
- No foreign transaction fees
- Concierge service

Benefits compared to Explorer card:
- only $95 annual fee
- only 1 free bag for cardholder and 1 companion
- 1 RDM / $1 card spend, +10,000 bonus after $25,000 card spend)
- 2 single-use club passes
- Premier Access (group 2 boarding)
- Premier Qualifying Dollar waiver (with $25,000 minimum card spend)

Sources (accessed Jan 1, 2015):

Chase United Card Benefits
https://www.chase.com/online/Credit-...ewards-new.htm

United Premier Status Benefits
http://www.united.com/web/en-US/cont...r/default.aspx

United Premier Status Qualification Requirements
Premier status qualification requirements

Prior FlyerTalk thread on Presidential Plus card changes
Presidential Plus Card Changes

Based on post by pstrasma
Print Wikipost

PresidentialPlus credit card - Benefits, Q&A, .... (impact of 2019 & 2020 MP changes)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28, 2014, 3:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
I was going to cancel as well, but I spent last year with no status - and that means overseas call centers, fewer reward opportunities, and no E+ at 24 hours. The upgrades disappeared 2 years ago (I'm always 20 on the list)

Those items alone make it worth $395 for me to keep it. The FEQM to top off my account, if necessary, are just a bonus.
Old Mar 1, 2014, 7:34 pm

Programs: United Platinum, Chase Presidential Plus
Stupid question--I have this card, and understood that the spending requirement to maintain elite status is waived. Yet, when I log into my account, while "4 flight segment minimum" shows "Waived", the spending requirement doesn't (it just shows how much I've spent on tickets, which isn't much). Given I know I won't be spending $2500 this year on flights, and will transfer FEQMs over, do I need to worry about this?

My apologies if this has already been discussed upthread.
Old Mar 1, 2014, 7:46 pm

Originally Posted by pinks
Given I know I won't be spending $2500 this year on flights, and will transfer FEQMs over, do I need to worry about this?
If you click on View Premier Progress -> just under Lifetime Flight Miles it brings you to a new screen that should say Eligible for the Presidential Plus PQD Waiver.

Old Mar 1, 2014, 8:13 pm

Programs: United Platinum, Chase Presidential Plus
Originally Posted by SAPriorityTag
If you click on View Premier Progress -> just under Lifetime Flight Miles it brings you to a new screen that should say Eligible for the Presidential Plus PQD Waiver.

^Indeed, thank you!
Old Mar 24, 2014, 7:59 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, IHG Silver, Hilton Silver, Hertz PC, National Exec Elite, Avis PC
I had a very positive experience with Chase when using the extended warranty feature of this card, which extends manufacturer's warranty by a year, to repair an iPhone 5 six months out of its warranty. Within 2 weeks of making the claim I had a check for the original purchase amount (the maximum they cover) as repairing the camera costs more than I paid for the 16gb phone with a contract. ^
Old Mar 24, 2014, 12:01 pm

Chase blew me away recently, I was overseas at a restaurant, used the PPlus card and it declined (even though I called them and specifically and told them I was traveling) resulting in the server asking for another card and I used my AMEX which cleared without issue.

I called CHASE's collect number from my Mobile phone while at the restaurant to make sure that the card would work for the remainder of the trip and I was impressed how things were handled from there.

The agent apologized profusely, checked her computer, ensuring that everything was okay there, called another department to ensure that things were good there and came back on the phone and said that again she was terribly sorry and that all is good now and the card will not decline again.

Great, except I have now incurred 20 minutes worth of roaming, the agent did not hesitate for a second, explaining to me that she was going to annotate my account and once I got home and received the cell phone bill and if I was charged for the roaming to call CHASE back and I would be given a FAX number to FAX in page with the charges and CHASE would credit my account in that amount.

I was charged roaming for the call and to their word CHASE credited my account in the amount of the roaming charges and the agent threw in an additional $100 credit for my troubles, that second part is what really impressed me, things happen and I was not too upset, but the additional $100 which was not required made me a very happy camper.

Dan
Old Apr 3, 2014, 5:07 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LifetimeTitanium, UA Plat 2MM, LHW LeadersClub, IHGPlat, HiltonDiamnd, ASMVPG100K, WyndDiamnd
Presidential Plus PQD Waiver Sometimes Not Working Automatically

I have a Presidential Plus Card and over 100,000 PQMs this year, but do not have $7,500 in PQDs yet. I have made numerous calls inquiring as to when I will get my 2 RPUs for meeting the 75,000 mile threshold.

Anyway, had a very helpful rep on the phone today who understood that the system did not automatically issue the two upgrades in spite of the waiver. In fact, the waiver is even noted in the "Your Premier status progress" section in the Account section of the United website.

I have multiple United credit cards so wonder if that might have caused the glitch.

Anyway, she is escalating it to get it resolved.
Old Apr 8, 2014, 6:08 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 75k, UA zilch, IHG Spire, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Plat, Hertz Gold, Avis Presidents
My decision to keep or kill the card was made easy: booked on about 23,000 miles of *A flights in the next 2 weeks, none of which will generate PQD. Whether or not I get pqd later in the year, it'd seem a worthy wager to spend 400 to get waivered silver status at a minimum... though i'll likely clear gold or plat but with unknown pqd at this point.... at least I won't feel like i'm wasting opportunity by booking on SQ
Old Jun 10, 2014, 9:09 am

Programs: AS MVPG 75k, UA zilch, IHG Spire, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Plat, Hertz Gold, Avis Presidents
Today's announcement of revenue based program - anything I missed that would make for having the PP card as a benefit over any others (specific to this change, not stuff we've already covered).
Old Jun 10, 2014, 9:47 am
RNE

Originally Posted by brarrr
Today's announcement of revenue based program - anything I missed that would make for having the PP card as a benefit over any others (specific to this change, not stuff we've already covered).
It's still unclear how revenue-based earning of RDMs from flying will affect MileagePlus members in toto. Some will come out ahead, others will not, but on the whole nobody knows. That said, in general this change may make credit cards (with miles from bonuses and spend) a proportionally larger means of generating RDMs than it is today. Indeed, Chase may up its offers to attract flyers who get the short end of the revenue-for-miles stick. I know I generate far more miles from credit cards than I do from flying. That already-large proportion will increase for me after March 1, 2015.

To answer your question: The PP card's 1.5 miles/dollar would be even more of a benefit over 1 mile/dollar cards, as credit card spending becomes a larger contributor to total RDMs.
Old Jun 10, 2014, 9:57 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by RNE
To answer your question: The PP card's 1.5 miles/dollar would be even more of a benefit over 1 mile/dollar cards, as credit card spending becomes a larger contributor to total RDMs.
The PP card earns 1.0 mile/dollar spend, except for UA charges, hotels, and car rentals, which are at 2 miles/dollar. But the PP card is not open to new customers. It's replacement, the MP Club Card, is the one that earns 1.5 miles/dollar on regular purchases, but does NOT have the 1K FEQM/ $5K spend feature.
Old Jun 10, 2014, 10:21 am

The one point where it seems like this is a distinct value for the PP card is if you live in the US, want a PQD waiver without credit card spend, and fly internationally on non-016 ticket stock, or in the case where you could fly UA vs a partner that the earn based on mileage vs earn based on ticket price is a benefit.

tickets in coach on partners are great there... high fare tickets in biz then make me think picking the UA option starts to make sense... though i'll still probably take the partner carrier due to better service.
Old Jun 10, 2014, 11:03 am

Programs: UA Silver
I wonder if the PQD waiver for the PP card remains in effect with these changes.
Old Jun 10, 2014, 11:49 am
RNE

Originally Posted by Steve M
The PP card earns 1.0 mile/dollar spend, except for UA charges, hotels, and car rentals, which are at 2 miles/dollar. But the PP card is not open to new customers. It's replacement, the MP Club Card, is the one that earns 1.5 miles/dollar on regular purchases, but does NOT have the 1K FEQM/ $5K spend feature.
Correct.

RNE, mortified.
Old Jun 10, 2014, 1:02 pm

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Avis Pres, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by RNE
Correct.

RNE, mortified.
Maybe it's a small thing, but the PP card also still has Avis Presidents' Club status while the UA Club card does not.

Bonus in the PP card's favor for me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.