Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

PresidentialPlus credit card - Benefits, Q&A, .... (impact of 2019 & 2020 MP changes)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 5, 2015, 11:45 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Previous thread -- Presidential Plus Card Changes

Related thread - General Questions re: MileagePlus Flex PQM

This legacy Chase credit card is not taking new applications. Compiled below is a comparison of current card-derived vs. status-derived benefits.

Overall, the current benefits of the PP and the replacement Club card are nearly identical. The key trade-off is increased redeemable mile (RDM) earnings with the Club card vs. FPQM with the PP card. Basically, the Club card earns an incremental 0.5 RDM / $1 vs. the PP card’s 0.2 PQM / $1. This sets a 2.5 RDM : $1 PQM ratio, which puts a price on PQMs earned this way at $0.025 to $0.050. Given that PQMs cost atleast $0.08 or more each if purchased early in the year via award accelerator, this is a pretty good deal for those who anticipate falling short of the upcoming year’s desired Silver / Gold / Platinum threshold.

Benefits unique to the PP card:
- 1000 FPQM per $5,000 spend (or 0.2 / $1)
- FPQMs are only valid for Premier Silver / Gold / Platinum status, expire 3 years after earning
- 1 RDM / $1 card spend (x2 hotel & rental cars for personal card, x2 restaurants, gas, office supplies for business card)
- Premier Qualifying Dollar (PQD) waiver (no minimum card spend, doesn’t apply to 1K)

Benefits unique to the Club card:
- 1.5 RDM / $1 card spend
- PQD waiver (with $25,000 minimum card spend, doesn’t apply to 1K)

Benefits shared between PP and Club cards:
- $395 annual fee
- United club membership (vs. $450 1K/GS, $500 Platinum, $550 Gold, $550 Silver, $550 GM, +$550 with spouse)
- Waiver of 4 segment on United flights for Premier qualification (removed in 2020)
- Premier Access (group 2 boarding)
- 2 free checked bags (vs. 1 Silver, 2 Gold, 3 Platinum)
- Hyatt Gold Passport Platinum
- Hertz Hertz President's Circle status (vs. Five Star for Premier Silver / Gold) (expiring 31 January 2023)
- CPU on award tickets
- No <21 day award booking fees (vs. $50 Silver, $25 Gold, $0 Platinum)
- No foreign transaction fees
- Concierge service

Benefits compared to Explorer card:
- only $95 annual fee
- only 1 free bag for cardholder and 1 companion
- 1 RDM / $1 card spend, +10,000 bonus after $25,000 card spend)
- 2 single-use club passes
- Premier Access (group 2 boarding)
- Premier Qualifying Dollar waiver (with $25,000 minimum card spend)

Sources (accessed Jan 1, 2015):

Chase United Card Benefits
https://www.chase.com/online/Credit-...ewards-new.htm

United Premier Status Benefits
http://www.united.com/web/en-US/cont...r/default.aspx

United Premier Status Qualification Requirements
Premier status qualification requirements

Prior FlyerTalk thread on Presidential Plus card changes
Presidential Plus Card Changes

Based on post by pstrasma
Print Wikipost

PresidentialPlus credit card - Benefits, Q&A, .... (impact of 2019 & 2020 MP changes)

Search this Thread

Old May 22, 2017, 12:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by Bill Brasky
I do however want to use my MP miles in the future. From the perspective of being able to use my MP going forward, do you see any downside from downgrading to the MP Explorer card?
No. Both cards grant the same expanded inventory access (XN, YN, JN) for awards, and both cards will prevent your miles from expiring.
Old May 22, 2017, 2:52 pm

Programs: Ikon Pass Full + AS Gold + Marriott Titanium + Hilton Gold. Recovering UA Plat. LT lounge AA+DL+UA
Two thoughts:
a) Might Chase want to increase the annual fee so they can offer $x in airline spending credits like Amex Plat, or indeed Chase Sapphire?

b) Speaking of which the CSR card launch went extraordinarily well. Might Chase feel they no longer need United as a partner?
Old May 22, 2017, 4:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by worldwidedreamer
Two thoughts:
a) Might Chase want to increase the annual fee so they can offer $x in airline spending credits like Amex Plat, or indeed Chase Sapphire?
I doubt that - this is a legacy card and they are not issuing new ones and not promoting it.
b) Speaking of which the CSR card launch went extraordinarily well. Might Chase feel they no longer need United as a partner?
I've been led t believe that the relationship is quite strong. Chase processes a lot of transactions with its UA branded cards.
Old May 22, 2017, 5:28 pm

Programs: United
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
What do the disclosures on the backside cover? particularly #1 .
See image. No 1 is mostly APR and fees.

Old Jun 10, 2017, 10:08 am

Programs: UA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Got the dreaded AF increase notice today. I'm trying to decide what to do. I have lifetime club membership and 1MM. But I like the card for the PQD waiver (no minimum spend). But not so much as to spend $450 for it. I'm trying to decide if getting one of the other cards that comes with a PQD waiver for a $25k spend is worth it.
Old Jun 10, 2017, 11:09 am

Programs: CO Plat, Hertz Gold, Hilton & Avis Gold, Starwood Gold
I have a Presidential Chase card. And I have a Lifetime Club membership. I called Chase and they said renewal in Oct will be $100.
Old Jun 10, 2017, 1:09 pm

Programs: UA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by bartonhill
I have a Presidential Chase card. And I have a Lifetime Club membership. I called Chase and they said renewal in Oct will be $100.
Did you speak to any particular person or just whoever took the call? I'll try calling.
Old Jun 10, 2017, 5:47 pm

Programs: United
Well I finally got a reply to my letter which they basically ignored and just sent a form letter as a response blaming "the increased cost of providing the rewards and benefits."
Old Jun 19, 2017, 1:15 pm

Programs: Ikon Pass Full + AS Gold + Marriott Titanium + Hilton Gold. Recovering UA Plat. LT lounge AA+DL+UA
Originally Posted by bartonhill
I received this notice over the weekend, and called Chase this morning. The lady on the phone said that the fee increase was due to a change in fair lending rules and that she would not be able to help.

Has anyone else gotten lucky?

Old Jun 19, 2017, 1:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
I got mine this weekend as well
Old Jun 19, 2017, 1:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
I'd be curious what exactly that change is. It sunds fishy to me.
Old Jun 19, 2017, 2:17 pm

Programs: UA Platinum Lifetime Club Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by Xyzzy
I'd be curious what exactly that change is. It sunds fishy to me.
I received the same $100 to $450 notice. I called Chase and they said I had to talk with UA Mileageplus. I called MP and they said I had to talk with Chase. I called Chase again -- they said they had to treat everyone the same based on a 2009 law. I asked whether that meant that they had been violating the law for the past eight years. They were a little tongue-tied after that, but not so much that they couldn't tell that I could pay or cancel the card.

I have been a CO, then UA Lifetime Club member for over 20 years and a PP card holder for I think over 10 years. With all that is going on in air travel today, why is United treating its best customers this way?
Old Jun 19, 2017, 3:13 pm
Suspended

I got my notice too today. I called to see if I could be nice and they would work with me......NOPE!!!! It's either you accept their offer or you don't. There's no middle ground. I'm a Lifetime 1k and such....and even the Chase rep couldn't come up for a reason for me to keep the card.......The day passes are killing the clubs where you can't even find a seat most days etc.......and the top shelf drink prices aren't even competitive...... the food has gotten worse and worse..
Old Jun 19, 2017, 8:39 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
As there is also a discussion of a similiar fee change in http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ug-2017-a.html have moved recent Chase MP Club card fee change posts to that thread.

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator
Old Jun 20, 2017, 5:15 pm

Programs: AA EXP, MVPG, DL Silver, United Silver, Accor Platinum, Marriott Ambassador
Mine came today. $375.00 to $450.00 I find use for the UA Clubs and will keep the card. Got lucky as $375.00 charge just came in April, so I have a while.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.