Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

PresidentialPlus credit card - Benefits, Q&A, .... (impact of 2019 & 2020 MP changes)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 5, 2015, 11:45 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Previous thread -- Presidential Plus Card Changes

Related thread - General Questions re: MileagePlus Flex PQM

This legacy Chase credit card is not taking new applications. Compiled below is a comparison of current card-derived vs. status-derived benefits.

Overall, the current benefits of the PP and the replacement Club card are nearly identical. The key trade-off is increased redeemable mile (RDM) earnings with the Club card vs. FPQM with the PP card. Basically, the Club card earns an incremental 0.5 RDM / $1 vs. the PP card’s 0.2 PQM / $1. This sets a 2.5 RDM : $1 PQM ratio, which puts a price on PQMs earned this way at $0.025 to $0.050. Given that PQMs cost atleast $0.08 or more each if purchased early in the year via award accelerator, this is a pretty good deal for those who anticipate falling short of the upcoming year’s desired Silver / Gold / Platinum threshold.

Benefits unique to the PP card:
- 1000 FPQM per $5,000 spend (or 0.2 / $1)
- FPQMs are only valid for Premier Silver / Gold / Platinum status, expire 3 years after earning
- 1 RDM / $1 card spend (x2 hotel & rental cars for personal card, x2 restaurants, gas, office supplies for business card)
- Premier Qualifying Dollar (PQD) waiver (no minimum card spend, doesn’t apply to 1K)

Benefits unique to the Club card:
- 1.5 RDM / $1 card spend
- PQD waiver (with $25,000 minimum card spend, doesn’t apply to 1K)

Benefits shared between PP and Club cards:
- $395 annual fee
- United club membership (vs. $450 1K/GS, $500 Platinum, $550 Gold, $550 Silver, $550 GM, +$550 with spouse)
- Waiver of 4 segment on United flights for Premier qualification (removed in 2020)
- Premier Access (group 2 boarding)
- 2 free checked bags (vs. 1 Silver, 2 Gold, 3 Platinum)
- Hyatt Gold Passport Platinum
- Hertz Hertz President's Circle status (vs. Five Star for Premier Silver / Gold) (expiring 31 January 2023)
- CPU on award tickets
- No <21 day award booking fees (vs. $50 Silver, $25 Gold, $0 Platinum)
- No foreign transaction fees
- Concierge service

Benefits compared to Explorer card:
- only $95 annual fee
- only 1 free bag for cardholder and 1 companion
- 1 RDM / $1 card spend, +10,000 bonus after $25,000 card spend)
- 2 single-use club passes
- Premier Access (group 2 boarding)
- Premier Qualifying Dollar waiver (with $25,000 minimum card spend)

Sources (accessed Jan 1, 2015):

Chase United Card Benefits
https://www.chase.com/online/Credit-...ewards-new.htm

United Premier Status Benefits
http://www.united.com/web/en-US/cont...r/default.aspx

United Premier Status Qualification Requirements
Premier status qualification requirements

Prior FlyerTalk thread on Presidential Plus card changes
Presidential Plus Card Changes

Based on post by pstrasma
Print Wikipost

PresidentialPlus credit card - Benefits, Q&A, .... (impact of 2019 & 2020 MP changes)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11, 2017, 2:26 pm

Programs: 1K
Have the annual fee statement credits ($95) for 1k members on the PP+ card been removed?
TIA
Old Apr 11, 2017, 3:53 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by BZRORG
Have the annual fee statement credits ($95) for 1k members ...
The $60 1K/GS statement credit when away a year ago.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...edit-card.html

Please note that this credit will be discontinued after the second quarter of 2016.
Old Apr 27, 2017, 6:17 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Starbucks Gold, PF Chang's Warrior, Wine Century 100
Just got a mailer from Chase that my Pres Plus annual fee is going from $375 to $450 effective July 2017.
Old Apr 27, 2017, 6:28 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by paule123
Just got a mailer from Chase that my Pres Plus annual fee is going from $375 to $450 effective July 2017.
So much for
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
-- Chase "grandfathers" cardholders at their initial annual fee.
Old Apr 27, 2017, 7:04 pm

are the benefits remain the same?
Old Apr 27, 2017, 7:11 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Starbucks Gold, PF Chang's Warrior, Wine Century 100
Originally Posted by TAHKUCT
are the benefits remain the same?
The annual fee was the only thing referenced in the change to account terms.
Old Apr 28, 2017, 2:30 pm

Programs: CO Plat
Tried to find out if the reduced Pres Plus annual fee for Lifetime Club members has been discontinued by calling Chase. They had no answer.
Old Apr 30, 2017, 6:47 am

Programs: UA 1K & 1MM/AA Gold & 1MM/HH Gold/Marriott Titanium
My annual membership fee is usually charged in early June so guess that's why I didn't receive this mailer.
Old Apr 30, 2017, 8:12 am

Did the mailer say any benefits were changing?

Mine renews in March so I have time but if it increases to $450, I might have to dump it.
Old Apr 30, 2017, 9:12 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
If I'm a 1K and my membership is the same $450, why do I need this card? I don't see any advantage, especially given Amex MR are more valuable, or Chase URs are easier to earn through MS and gaming the system.

I only kept it for the primary rental car insurance, but I can get the same with my Amex Platinum, along with duplicates of the other benefits - so if the cost goes up, then bye-bye.
Old Apr 30, 2017, 1:07 pm

Programs: UA Plat/AA,DL Dirt/HH Diamond,Hyatt Something-ist/Hz Prez,Avis Pres Club
Near CLE here and nothing in the mail yet, but my $375 fee hit on April 1--so maybe they will notify closer to 4/1/18. Hmm.
I wonder what it says if I use "send cardmember agreement" online to have them send a hard copy of it now?
In 10 or 11 months, I'll have to see if I've not gotten anything. Being only Gold and possibly using some Flex PQMs to get Platinum, the Pres Plus will still be worth having, but for a 1K, it won't make sense to have vs. the Club credit card or just a Club membership.
Old Apr 30, 2017, 1:56 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
I haven't seen anything in the mail...then again, I tend to throw away anything that looks like a standard CC notification without opening it. My fee is assessed towards the end of the year, so won't know for a while.
Old May 1, 2017, 5:04 pm

Programs: Ikon Pass Full + AS Gold + Marriott Titanium + Hilton Gold. Recovering UA Plat. LT lounge AA+DL+UA
Originally Posted by benjy
Tried to find out if the reduced Pres Plus annual fee for Lifetime Club members has been discontinued by calling Chase. They had no answer.
If it goes to $450, this LT PP member will bounce. FWIW I get more value from my $550 Amex Plat.
Old May 1, 2017, 5:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
A friend who is also a LT club member with the PP card tells me she received a notification of increase t $450.
Old May 1, 2017, 6:26 pm

Originally Posted by Xyzzy
A friend who is also a LT club member with the PP card tells me she received a notification of increase t $450.

This is (sadly) my longest open card (had it since college). Anyone know what I can convert it to or should I just cut my losses next yr and close the account?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.