Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

PresidentialPlus credit card - Benefits, Q&A, .... (impact of 2019 & 2020 MP changes)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 5, 2015, 11:45 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Previous thread -- Presidential Plus Card Changes

Related thread - General Questions re: MileagePlus Flex PQM

This legacy Chase credit card is not taking new applications. Compiled below is a comparison of current card-derived vs. status-derived benefits.

Overall, the current benefits of the PP and the replacement Club card are nearly identical. The key trade-off is increased redeemable mile (RDM) earnings with the Club card vs. FPQM with the PP card. Basically, the Club card earns an incremental 0.5 RDM / $1 vs. the PP card’s 0.2 PQM / $1. This sets a 2.5 RDM : $1 PQM ratio, which puts a price on PQMs earned this way at $0.025 to $0.050. Given that PQMs cost atleast $0.08 or more each if purchased early in the year via award accelerator, this is a pretty good deal for those who anticipate falling short of the upcoming year’s desired Silver / Gold / Platinum threshold.

Benefits unique to the PP card:
- 1000 FPQM per $5,000 spend (or 0.2 / $1)
- FPQMs are only valid for Premier Silver / Gold / Platinum status, expire 3 years after earning
- 1 RDM / $1 card spend (x2 hotel & rental cars for personal card, x2 restaurants, gas, office supplies for business card)
- Premier Qualifying Dollar (PQD) waiver (no minimum card spend, doesn’t apply to 1K)

Benefits unique to the Club card:
- 1.5 RDM / $1 card spend
- PQD waiver (with $25,000 minimum card spend, doesn’t apply to 1K)

Benefits shared between PP and Club cards:
- $395 annual fee
- United club membership (vs. $450 1K/GS, $500 Platinum, $550 Gold, $550 Silver, $550 GM, +$550 with spouse)
- Waiver of 4 segment on United flights for Premier qualification (removed in 2020)
- Premier Access (group 2 boarding)
- 2 free checked bags (vs. 1 Silver, 2 Gold, 3 Platinum)
- Hyatt Gold Passport Platinum
- Hertz Hertz President's Circle status (vs. Five Star for Premier Silver / Gold) (expiring 31 January 2023)
- CPU on award tickets
- No <21 day award booking fees (vs. $50 Silver, $25 Gold, $0 Platinum)
- No foreign transaction fees
- Concierge service

Benefits compared to Explorer card:
- only $95 annual fee
- only 1 free bag for cardholder and 1 companion
- 1 RDM / $1 card spend, +10,000 bonus after $25,000 card spend)
- 2 single-use club passes
- Premier Access (group 2 boarding)
- Premier Qualifying Dollar waiver (with $25,000 minimum card spend)

Sources (accessed Jan 1, 2015):

Chase United Card Benefits
https://www.chase.com/online/Credit-...ewards-new.htm

United Premier Status Benefits
http://www.united.com/web/en-US/cont...r/default.aspx

United Premier Status Qualification Requirements
Premier status qualification requirements

Prior FlyerTalk thread on Presidential Plus card changes
Presidential Plus Card Changes

Based on post by pstrasma
Print Wikipost

PresidentialPlus credit card - Benefits, Q&A, .... (impact of 2019 & 2020 MP changes)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2017, 7:45 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by TennisNoob
Hyatt has 4 tiers now. I remember back in the day it only have Platinum before diamond when this card was bundled with Plat.

They may only give you the 2nd tier now because the 3rd tier requires 30 nights.
American Express Plat card give Hilton Gold (3rd Tier) so I thought the Chase PP card would give 3rd Tier on new Hyatt program.
Old Mar 9, 2017, 8:44 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by cova
Originally Posted by TennisNoob
Hyatt has 4 tiers now. I remember back in the day it only have Platinum before diamond when this card was bundled with Plat.

They may only give you the 2nd tier now because the 3rd tier requires 30 nights.
American Express Plat card give Hilton Gold (3rd Tier) so I thought the Chase PP card would give 3rd Tier on new Hyatt program.
The Chase MP Club Card which use to receive Hyatt Plat is now "Discoverist" (Tier 2).
Old Apr 5, 2017, 10:50 pm

Programs: UA Plat/AA,DL Dirt/HH Diamond,Hyatt Something-ist/Hz Prez,Avis Pres Club
Originally Posted by cova
The Hyatt visa card (also from Chase) indeed also gives Discoverist, one level above the base. Last year getting the Hyatt status to stick from the Presidential Plus card was quite troublesome; Hyatt's own card has no such problem getting the status to take.

In other news, my annual fee just posted; still $375 just as it has been since Continental. Not a bad deal compared to the $450 for the Club card or $500+ for Club membership on its own. I still wonder when the $375 will finally end and they increase the fee, or if they ever will.
Old Apr 6, 2017, 12:37 am

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by UAzip
... In other news, my annual fee just posted; still $375 just as it has been since Continental. Not a bad deal compared to the $450 for the Club card or $500+ for Club membership on its own. I still wonder when the $375 will finally end and they increase the fee, or if they ever will.
My Club card is still at $395 -- Chase "grandfathers" cardholders at their initial annual fee.
Old Apr 6, 2017, 5:16 pm

Programs: AA EXP, MVPG, DL Silver, United Silver, Accor Platinum, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
My Club card is still at $395 -- Chase "grandfathers" cardholders at their initial annual fee.
If this is true that is fantastic news, and I wouldn't ever give up my card.

How do you know that this is chase company policy?

Thanks - Jimmy
Old Apr 6, 2017, 5:20 pm

Originally Posted by jimmygottfredson
.... How do you know that this is chase company policy? ...
Observation and numerous reports of this on FT.
Old Apr 8, 2017, 11:41 pm

Programs: UA Plat/AA,DL Dirt/HH Diamond,Hyatt Something-ist/Hz Prez,Avis Pres Club
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Observation and numerous reports of this on FT.
Interesting to see is if the Presidential Plus card itself lives forever or at least for a long time. Do we know how many holders of it there may be? There must be enough for them to bother continuing to produce new cards as replacements, maintain the info online, etc. and deal with the Flex PQMs for it to be worth their while. If they are willing to keep the annual fee at $375 and keep the Presidential Plus benefits like Flex PQMs grandfathered for a long time, I'm in good shape.
Old Apr 9, 2017, 2:32 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
What I don't understand is why they find it worthwhile to maintain the PP card, but not to continue to offer it to new cardholders. I know of several people that would be very interested in getting one. And, the reason is not to prevent upsetting the most loyal BIS passengers, as PP flex miles can't be used to get above Platinum. And, for the very reason why those of us that keep it and want but don't have it, the allure of Flex PQMs is very effective at driving spend to the card.
Old Apr 9, 2017, 6:27 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus Premier Platinum
Originally Posted by Steve M
What I don't understand is why they find it worthwhile to maintain the PP card, but not to continue to offer it to new cardholders. I know of several people that would be very interested in getting one. And, the reason is not to prevent upsetting the most loyal BIS passengers, as PP flex miles can't be used to get above Platinum. And, for the very reason why those of us that keep it and want but don't have it, the allure of Flex PQMs is very effective at driving spend to the card.
Also, don't forget the PQD waiver
Old Apr 9, 2017, 8:41 am

Originally Posted by gusd
Also, don't forget the PQD waiver
THIS. The Flex PQMs are unique and big. The PQD waiver for just having the card is huge. If they made it only effective if you spent $25,000 a year, it would be manageable but less nice, but if they got rid of the waiver, it would probably kill the card.
Old Apr 9, 2017, 9:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by UAzip
THIS. The Flex PQMs are unique and big. The PQD waiver for just having the card is huge. If they made it only effective if you spent $25,000 a year, it would be manageable but less nice, but if they got rid of the waiver, it would probably kill the card.
For some of us the "Flex" PQD are pretty much worthless. I can't give them to friends in need and I can't even turn them into RDM. As a 1mm flyer who is a lifetime member of the club I get the card for $100/year. As the FPQM can only be used to get to Platinum, when I hit 2mm (relatively soon) they will be completely worthless. I've been using my Chase Sapphire Reserve since it was introduced and should likely drop this card -- can anyone thing f a reason I shouldn't -- particularly after I hit 2mm? Maybe I'm missing something.
Old Apr 9, 2017, 11:20 am

Originally Posted by Xyzzy
For some of us the "Flex" PQD are pretty much worthless. I can't give them to friends in need and I can't even turn them into RDM. As a 1mm flyer who is a lifetime member of the club I get the card for $100/year. As the FPQM can only be used to get to Platinum, when I hit 2mm (relatively soon) they will be completely worthless. I've been using my Chase Sapphire Reserve since it was introduced and should likely drop this card -- can anyone thing f a reason I shouldn't -- particularly after I hit 2mm? Maybe I'm missing something.
Indeed you aren't in the sweet spot for the card. The sweet spot seems to be the Gold who can use Flex PQMs to go to Platinum, or the Silver to Gold, and especially with the PQD waiver. Those who make 1K every year can't use the Flex PQMs (and are meeting the PQD requirement) and are probably better with a different card. The Presidential Plus doesn't make sense for every single person but does for a good segment that UA probably likes to keep--the mid-tier elites who want perks and are willing to be loyal, not the Kayakers or the 1Ks they have locked up because they are already at the top. (Not that UA should be taking any customer for granted, but the reality is not always perfect.)
Old Apr 9, 2017, 11:32 am

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), Hyatt Discoverist(?), Marriott/SPG Gold
What I don't understand is why they find it worthwhile to maintain the PP card, but not to continue to offer it to new cardholders.
Grandfathering in people with PP cards keeps people in the Chase family. If you force PP cardholders to change, it opens up consideration for cards from all issuers, not just Chase. Why risk losing someone who's willing to pay a not-insignificant annual fee and generates swipe fees?

As for not offering new accounts - Chase (and United) have settled into their mix of credit cards. Adding another to the mix increases marketing costs and product portfolio confusion, especially if they already have something at the higher price point (i.e. United Club Card).
Old Apr 9, 2017, 1:51 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by bigboy
Grandfathering in people with PP cards keeps people in the Chase family. If you force PP cardholders to change, it opens up consideration for cards from all issuers, not just Chase. Why risk losing someone who's willing to pay a not-insignificant annual fee and generates swipe fees?

As for not offering new accounts - Chase (and United) have settled into their mix of credit cards. Adding another to the mix increases marketing costs and product portfolio confusion, especially if they already have something at the higher price point (i.e. United Club Card).
Those are both good points. Comparing PP with the current United Club Card, it appears that the main difference is PP gets FEQM and PQD waiver, whereas UCC gets 1.5x RDM on non-UA purchases. I'm sure they have market research and/or actual data to support the current UCC features as being more popular, but I still would have to think that FEQM have a very high perceived value to at least some passengers. Perhaps a card that let you choose between FEQM or 1.5x RDM?

Another thing that seemed odd to me is how they suddenly removed the ability to open new PP memberships, in mid-March a few years ago IIRC, and with no advance notice. It certainly smacked of someone having made a decision that they really didn't want any new cardmembers for this account type. I know several people that would have jumped on the bandwagon if given even 30 days notice that the card was closing to new accountholders.

One theory I have is how it interferes with the concept of PQDs. You can't really have an effective FEQM program without a PQD waiver, so they added the waiver to the PP program when they added PQDs. Maybe they felt that having an advertised card with a PQD waiver was too strong a negative to the PQD program as a whole to justify the benefits of having new PP accounts.
Old Apr 9, 2017, 3:03 pm

Those are both good points. Comparing PP with the current United Club Card, it appears that the main difference is PP gets FEQM and PQD waiver, whereas UCC gets 1.5x RDM on non-UA purchases. ...
The Club Card also provides a PQD waiver but with a $25K spend, which is probably not a issue for the high value / high spend players they are likely targeting.

Another thing that seemed odd to me is how they suddenly removed the ability to open new PP memberships, in mid-March a few years ago IIRC, and with no advance notice. It certainly smacked of someone having made a decision that they really didn't want any new cardmembers for this account type. ...
Closing with out notice is not really unusual -- clear there was decision to move folks to the Club card instead and once you make that decision why take on more outside of your strategy?

One theory I have is how it interferes with the concept of PQDs. You can't really have an effective FEQM program without a PQD waiver, so they added the waiver to the PP program when they added PQDs. Maybe they felt that having an advertised card with a PQD waiver was too strong a negative to the PQD program as a whole to justify the benefits of having new PP accounts.
UA & Chase have no issue with the PQD waiver so long as you provide sufficient revenue in other ways.

Note at the same time UA/Chase discontinued the purchase PQM earning pmUA cards (which does work for 1Kstatus). So there was a general move from providing EQM/PQMs to other benefits probably of wider interest -- Higher RDM earning, no forex, Club access (which the PP has), ....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.