Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

PresidentialPlus credit card - Benefits, Q&A, .... (impact of 2019 & 2020 MP changes)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 5, 2015, 11:45 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Previous thread -- Presidential Plus Card Changes

Related thread - General Questions re: MileagePlus Flex PQM

This legacy Chase credit card is not taking new applications. Compiled below is a comparison of current card-derived vs. status-derived benefits.

Overall, the current benefits of the PP and the replacement Club card are nearly identical. The key trade-off is increased redeemable mile (RDM) earnings with the Club card vs. FPQM with the PP card. Basically, the Club card earns an incremental 0.5 RDM / $1 vs. the PP card’s 0.2 PQM / $1. This sets a 2.5 RDM : $1 PQM ratio, which puts a price on PQMs earned this way at $0.025 to $0.050. Given that PQMs cost atleast $0.08 or more each if purchased early in the year via award accelerator, this is a pretty good deal for those who anticipate falling short of the upcoming year’s desired Silver / Gold / Platinum threshold.

Benefits unique to the PP card:
- 1000 FPQM per $5,000 spend (or 0.2 / $1)
- FPQMs are only valid for Premier Silver / Gold / Platinum status, expire 3 years after earning
- 1 RDM / $1 card spend (x2 hotel & rental cars for personal card, x2 restaurants, gas, office supplies for business card)
- Premier Qualifying Dollar (PQD) waiver (no minimum card spend, doesn’t apply to 1K)

Benefits unique to the Club card:
- 1.5 RDM / $1 card spend
- PQD waiver (with $25,000 minimum card spend, doesn’t apply to 1K)

Benefits shared between PP and Club cards:
- $395 annual fee
- United club membership (vs. $450 1K/GS, $500 Platinum, $550 Gold, $550 Silver, $550 GM, +$550 with spouse)
- Waiver of 4 segment on United flights for Premier qualification (removed in 2020)
- Premier Access (group 2 boarding)
- 2 free checked bags (vs. 1 Silver, 2 Gold, 3 Platinum)
- Hyatt Gold Passport Platinum
- Hertz Hertz President's Circle status (vs. Five Star for Premier Silver / Gold) (expiring 31 January 2023)
- CPU on award tickets
- No <21 day award booking fees (vs. $50 Silver, $25 Gold, $0 Platinum)
- No foreign transaction fees
- Concierge service

Benefits compared to Explorer card:
- only $95 annual fee
- only 1 free bag for cardholder and 1 companion
- 1 RDM / $1 card spend, +10,000 bonus after $25,000 card spend)
- 2 single-use club passes
- Premier Access (group 2 boarding)
- Premier Qualifying Dollar waiver (with $25,000 minimum card spend)

Sources (accessed Jan 1, 2015):

Chase United Card Benefits
https://www.chase.com/online/Credit-...ewards-new.htm

United Premier Status Benefits
http://www.united.com/web/en-US/cont...r/default.aspx

United Premier Status Qualification Requirements
Premier status qualification requirements

Prior FlyerTalk thread on Presidential Plus card changes
Presidential Plus Card Changes

Based on post by pstrasma
Print Wikipost

PresidentialPlus credit card - Benefits, Q&A, .... (impact of 2019 & 2020 MP changes)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19, 2015, 12:48 pm

Originally Posted by cece4
I have what most would consider a "Good problem" if there is such a thing! Lucky enough to have the legacy PP card and would not think of getting rid of it as we use it for our business and amass tons of miles. (and live in Houston so flight choices are great). Now my "problem" is that I am also amassing tons of flexible PQM's - currently over half a million of them! At 75K a year to keep plat status for myself...I am going to start losing at least some of them pretty soon as they only have a 3 year lifespan. I assume I have no other options but figured I'd ask you pros out there just in case!
Keep the PP card but don't use it... get a different card and use that for your business charges. There are plenty of other interesting options out there. If your vendors take Amex, there are a few interesting Amex cards especially the starwood card. If not, look at the Chase or Barclays cards. Also maybe worth having a look at the cashback cards. Consider a card that aligns with any hotel you have status with, or look at the Amex or Citi Hilton cards with which you can earn Diamond status with a high spend (which it looks like you must have...)
Old Apr 19, 2015, 1:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by lewinr
Keep the PP card but don't use it... get a different card and use that for your business charges. There are plenty of other interesting options out there. If your vendors take Amex, there are a few interesting Amex cards especially the starwood card. If not, look at the Chase or Barclays cards. Also maybe worth having a look at the cashback cards. Consider a card that aligns with any hotel you have status with, or look at the Amex or Citi Hilton cards with which you can earn Diamond status with a high spend (which it looks like you must have...)
$375-400 is a lot to just sit on to keep FEQMs alive. But I do agree about getting a secondary card, whatever the choice is just make sure that there's no reduced earning after a spend threshold.
Old Apr 19, 2015, 3:52 pm
RNE

Originally Posted by WIRunner
$375-400 is a lot to just sit on to keep FEQMs alive.
But it's not just for FPQMs; it's for United Club membership too. I think the OP is OK keeping the card but spending on another card.
Old Apr 20, 2015, 1:14 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by cece4
... have the legacy PP card ... my "problem" is that I am also amassing tons of flexible PQM's - currently over half a million of them! At 75K a year to keep plat status for myself...I am going to start losing at least some of them pretty soon as they only have a 3 year lifespan.
First of all, you need to redeem 75K FQM's only every other year in order to maintain continuous Platinum status (consider your status that expires on Jan 31 2016: move 75k FQM's on Jan 1 2016 for credit for the 2016 program year, and that alone will give you Platinum from Jan 1 2016 - Jan 31 2018).

As to what else to do, if you think you get sufficient value out of UA miles, then what I'd do in your situation is to get the other United card that comes with UC membership, but in your wife's name. That way, she'd have a full membership as well (possibly of no use if she never travels without you). But more importantly, you'd get 1.5 RDM's for each dollar spent. It sounds like to me based on your spend, you'd easily overcome the second annual fee in no time. I'd put your first $375k of spend every two years on the PP card, and the rest on the other. However, if, separate from the FQM issue, you already accumulate more UA miles than you know what to do with, I agree with others: consider another airline card, or perhaps a hotel card.

Last edited by Steve M; Apr 20, 2015 at 10:33 pm Reason: typos
Old Apr 20, 2015, 2:34 pm

Programs: UA Silver
Originally Posted by RNE
But it's not just for FPQMs; it's for United Club membership too. I think the OP is OK keeping the card but spending on another card.
The UC membership is worth about $50 / year.
Old Apr 20, 2015, 3:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by geo979
But good luck getting a year of access for $50. Unless you are a mooch and have friends with memberships or sit outside like a homeless person begging for money only you are begging for access to the club.
Old Apr 20, 2015, 5:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Baze
But good luck getting a year of access for $50. Unless you are a mooch and have friends with memberships or sit outside like a homeless person begging for money only you are begging for access to the club.
It was likely in reference to the quality of the clubs mean that it is really worth only about $50/year.
Old Apr 20, 2015, 7:09 pm

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Avis Pres, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by geo979
I wholeheartedly disagree.

More than once, having UC access meant I got home while others got stuck.

That, my friend, is worth its weight in gold.
Old Apr 20, 2015, 7:14 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, Avis Presidents
The real value of a UC Membership is not having to use the bathrooms with the revolving toilet seat cover at ORD...
Old Apr 20, 2015, 7:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by grahamfairbank
The real value of a UC Membership is not having to use the bathrooms with the revolving toilet seat cover at ORD...
The public bathrooms in ORD are often cleaner than the ones in the club. I was surprised how quickly things degraded in the new club in F after a few months.
Old Apr 24, 2015, 7:13 pm

Chase Presidential Plus Benefit Questions

So I am a long time CPP member that got grandfathered in.

I have two questions,

1) I thought I automatically got an upgrade to to Economy Plus without paying
The last time I looked at a booking they wanted $169 pp for intl flt

2) Does CPP still offer buy 1 biz class get one free and if so what booking class must that be made and how is the booking made? I see no provisions online.

TIA,
Tim
Old Apr 25, 2015, 9:17 am

Originally Posted by bohaiboy
No. If they did that, I probably wouldn't worry about keeping my Silver status.
Old Apr 25, 2015, 3:11 pm

Programs: United Platinum, Chase Presidential Plus
Originally Posted by bohaiboy
So I am a long time CPP member that got grandfathered in.

I have two questions,

2) Does CPP still offer buy 1 biz class get one free and if so what booking class must that be made and how is the booking made? I see no provisions online.

TIA,
Tim
1) No, you still need status for that.

2) If that is true, they have never advertised that feature to me because I certainly would have used it!

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Apr 25, 2015 at 3:38 pm Reason: removed section no longer needed after merge
Old Apr 25, 2015, 3:39 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Originally Posted by pinks
2) If that is true, they have never advertised that feature to me because I certainly would have used it!
They've had it forever, has to be a full J fare. I believe the code you enter is "BF2for1".
Old Apr 25, 2015, 4:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
1. No, as far as I know, this was never a benefit. Silvers get E+ at 24 hours prior to departure.

2. If they DID offer it, and I seem to recall they did numerous years ago, you had to book the 1st ticket at full fare to get the second one free. In many cases, it was less expensive to buy 2 discounted F seats. I don't believe I ever heard of anyone using that feature.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.