Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

PresidentialPlus credit card - Benefits, Q&A, .... (impact of 2019 & 2020 MP changes)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 5, 2015, 11:45 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Previous thread -- Presidential Plus Card Changes

Related thread - General Questions re: MileagePlus Flex PQM

This legacy Chase credit card is not taking new applications. Compiled below is a comparison of current card-derived vs. status-derived benefits.

Overall, the current benefits of the PP and the replacement Club card are nearly identical. The key trade-off is increased redeemable mile (RDM) earnings with the Club card vs. FPQM with the PP card. Basically, the Club card earns an incremental 0.5 RDM / $1 vs. the PP card’s 0.2 PQM / $1. This sets a 2.5 RDM : $1 PQM ratio, which puts a price on PQMs earned this way at $0.025 to $0.050. Given that PQMs cost atleast $0.08 or more each if purchased early in the year via award accelerator, this is a pretty good deal for those who anticipate falling short of the upcoming year’s desired Silver / Gold / Platinum threshold.

Benefits unique to the PP card:
- 1000 FPQM per $5,000 spend (or 0.2 / $1)
- FPQMs are only valid for Premier Silver / Gold / Platinum status, expire 3 years after earning
- 1 RDM / $1 card spend (x2 hotel & rental cars for personal card, x2 restaurants, gas, office supplies for business card)
- Premier Qualifying Dollar (PQD) waiver (no minimum card spend, doesn’t apply to 1K)

Benefits unique to the Club card:
- 1.5 RDM / $1 card spend
- PQD waiver (with $25,000 minimum card spend, doesn’t apply to 1K)

Benefits shared between PP and Club cards:
- $395 annual fee
- United club membership (vs. $450 1K/GS, $500 Platinum, $550 Gold, $550 Silver, $550 GM, +$550 with spouse)
- Waiver of 4 segment on United flights for Premier qualification (removed in 2020)
- Premier Access (group 2 boarding)
- 2 free checked bags (vs. 1 Silver, 2 Gold, 3 Platinum)
- Hyatt Gold Passport Platinum
- Hertz Hertz President's Circle status (vs. Five Star for Premier Silver / Gold) (expiring 31 January 2023)
- CPU on award tickets
- No <21 day award booking fees (vs. $50 Silver, $25 Gold, $0 Platinum)
- No foreign transaction fees
- Concierge service

Benefits compared to Explorer card:
- only $95 annual fee
- only 1 free bag for cardholder and 1 companion
- 1 RDM / $1 card spend, +10,000 bonus after $25,000 card spend)
- 2 single-use club passes
- Premier Access (group 2 boarding)
- Premier Qualifying Dollar waiver (with $25,000 minimum card spend)

Sources (accessed Jan 1, 2015):

Chase United Card Benefits
https://www.chase.com/online/Credit-...ewards-new.htm

United Premier Status Benefits
http://www.united.com/web/en-US/cont...r/default.aspx

United Premier Status Qualification Requirements
Premier status qualification requirements

Prior FlyerTalk thread on Presidential Plus card changes
Presidential Plus Card Changes

Based on post by pstrasma
Print Wikipost

PresidentialPlus credit card - Benefits, Q&A, .... (impact of 2019 & 2020 MP changes)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17, 2014, 8:57 pm

Chase will still issue the PP card under the right conditions/circumstances. I received mine earlier in October
Old Dec 17, 2014, 9:21 pm

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA EXP+LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, Marriott PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt Glob, Avis CHM
Originally Posted by WIRunner
I think with the zombie link it was all automated. If the offer wasn't expired, I could see it going through without any human interaction. Chase has the ability to issue new account numbers, as evidenced by getting two new PPMCs over the past year due the Home Depot and Target breeches.

The short of it: someone could have forgotten to shut off the offer for new customers
Actually it took a Recon call.
But the agent didn't bat an eye at the card type.

I wouldn't be surprised if other zombie links still existed.
Old Dec 18, 2014, 1:57 am

so currently there is no card that offers PQMs?

It's like the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card too. They are pulling those benefits as well. No longer will you get 2 points for dining/hotel purchases or the 7% dividend. Chase just pulling benefits left and right.

My inlaws are old Continental people and my family are old United people so its an interesting scenario. All my inlaws are Continental lunatics and all carry Pres Plus card. They like to show me the FLEX PQMs in their United app.
Old Dec 18, 2014, 6:05 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by TheHolyCobra
Chase will still issue the PP card under the right conditions/circumstances. I received mine earlier in October
Not nice to tease....

Please expand on what the right conditions/circumstances were.
Old Dec 18, 2014, 7:46 am

Originally Posted by controller1
Not nice to tease....

Please expand on what the right conditions/circumstances were.
Yea. I called Chase because I saw this post and they said absolutely not.
Old Dec 18, 2014, 10:48 am
RNE

Originally Posted by ctownflyer
Actually it took a Recon call.
But the agent didn't bat an eye at the card type.
Thank you.

Originally Posted by WIRunner
I think with the zombie link it was all automated. If the offer wasn't expired, I could see it going through without any human interaction.
I guess I'm right. Chase is willing (under some circumstances) to approve new Presidential Plus accounts.
Old Dec 18, 2014, 9:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLAT FPC PLAT
I got mine as well after by converting from a regular card to it.
Old Dec 18, 2014, 10:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by RNE
I guess I'm right. Chase is willing (under some circumstances) to approve new Presidential Plus accounts.
So the correct answer is: You need to know the right secret handshake.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Dec 19, 2014 at 11:33 am Reason: further correction of quote link
Old Dec 24, 2014, 11:47 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Starbucks Gold, PF Chang's Warrior, Wine Century 100
I thought PP card is supposed to waive close-in award booking fees? I just booked an award less than 21 days out, paid the taxes with the PP card, and was charged the $50 award fee. (I'm Silver)

ETA: This award was originally Farelock'd, which seems to be the issue. When I did a new award booking for the same itin, the $50 fee does not appear. Just another bug in UA's IT, I suppose.

Last edited by paule123; Dec 24, 2014 at 11:56 am
Old Jan 2, 2015, 11:38 am

Programs: AS MVPG 75k, UA zilch, IHG Spire, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Plat, Hertz Gold, Avis Presidents
With the card there's the waived close-in booking fee. Any knowledge if the same waiver works on close-in change fee? I'm on a TG flight where there's a SQ flight 15 min earlier and my friend is on it, and there's availability, but we're now <21 days away. Not worth it for $25 (well, 50, as there are two of us on the ticket) but if free, it's a 3 minute call.
Old Jan 2, 2015, 11:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by brarrr
With the card there's the waived close-in booking fee. Any knowledge if the same waiver works on close-in change fee? I'm on a TG flight where there's a SQ flight 15 min earlier and my friend is on it, and there's availability, but we're now <21 days away. Not worth it for $25 (well, 50, as there are two of us on the ticket) but if free, it's a 3 minute call.
Guess we all know how much you value this friend
Old Jan 2, 2015, 11:41 am

Programs: AS MVPG 75k, UA zilch, IHG Spire, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Plat, Hertz Gold, Avis Presidents
Originally Posted by Baze
Guess we all know how much you value this friend
meh... we're in SIN and BKK together for several days. the 15 min flight difference and 2.5 hours in the air is time we don't have to be together... it's more about 'what if there's a delay' and reducing complexity.
Old Jan 2, 2015, 11:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

meh... we're in SIN and BKK together for several days. the 15 min flight difference and 2.5 hours in the air is time we don't have to be together... it's more about 'what if there's a delay' and reducing complexity.
It was a joke, hence the big smiley face.
Old Jan 2, 2015, 11:46 am

Originally Posted by Baze
It was a joke, hence the big smiley face.
yep...

let's just say there are some folks around ft without a sense of humor who'd jump in and (use uber-nerd voice): there are many benefits of being on the same plane in case of irrops .... and so on and so on

though it being sin-bkk middle of the day i would be hard pressed to expect any anomalies so it's really not causing me much stress either. though the friend hooked us up with 200/night and half off f&b at raffles so i'm slightly more inclined to make sure we're low hassle for her
Old Jan 2, 2015, 11:56 am

With the card there's the waived close-in booking fee. Any knowledge if the same waiver works on close-in change fee?
It does not waive close-in changes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.