Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

PresidentialPlus credit card - Benefits, Q&A, .... (impact of 2019 & 2020 MP changes)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 5, 2015, 11:45 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Previous thread -- Presidential Plus Card Changes

Related thread - General Questions re: MileagePlus Flex PQM

This legacy Chase credit card is not taking new applications. Compiled below is a comparison of current card-derived vs. status-derived benefits.

Overall, the current benefits of the PP and the replacement Club card are nearly identical. The key trade-off is increased redeemable mile (RDM) earnings with the Club card vs. FPQM with the PP card. Basically, the Club card earns an incremental 0.5 RDM / $1 vs. the PP card’s 0.2 PQM / $1. This sets a 2.5 RDM : $1 PQM ratio, which puts a price on PQMs earned this way at $0.025 to $0.050. Given that PQMs cost atleast $0.08 or more each if purchased early in the year via award accelerator, this is a pretty good deal for those who anticipate falling short of the upcoming year’s desired Silver / Gold / Platinum threshold.

Benefits unique to the PP card:
- 1000 FPQM per $5,000 spend (or 0.2 / $1)
- FPQMs are only valid for Premier Silver / Gold / Platinum status, expire 3 years after earning
- 1 RDM / $1 card spend (x2 hotel & rental cars for personal card, x2 restaurants, gas, office supplies for business card)
- Premier Qualifying Dollar (PQD) waiver (no minimum card spend, doesn’t apply to 1K)

Benefits unique to the Club card:
- 1.5 RDM / $1 card spend
- PQD waiver (with $25,000 minimum card spend, doesn’t apply to 1K)

Benefits shared between PP and Club cards:
- $395 annual fee
- United club membership (vs. $450 1K/GS, $500 Platinum, $550 Gold, $550 Silver, $550 GM, +$550 with spouse)
- Waiver of 4 segment on United flights for Premier qualification (removed in 2020)
- Premier Access (group 2 boarding)
- 2 free checked bags (vs. 1 Silver, 2 Gold, 3 Platinum)
- Hyatt Gold Passport Platinum
- Hertz Hertz President's Circle status (vs. Five Star for Premier Silver / Gold) (expiring 31 January 2023)
- CPU on award tickets
- No <21 day award booking fees (vs. $50 Silver, $25 Gold, $0 Platinum)
- No foreign transaction fees
- Concierge service

Benefits compared to Explorer card:
- only $95 annual fee
- only 1 free bag for cardholder and 1 companion
- 1 RDM / $1 card spend, +10,000 bonus after $25,000 card spend)
- 2 single-use club passes
- Premier Access (group 2 boarding)
- Premier Qualifying Dollar waiver (with $25,000 minimum card spend)

Sources (accessed Jan 1, 2015):

Chase United Card Benefits
https://www.chase.com/online/Credit-...ewards-new.htm

United Premier Status Benefits
http://www.united.com/web/en-US/cont...r/default.aspx

United Premier Status Qualification Requirements
Premier status qualification requirements

Prior FlyerTalk thread on Presidential Plus card changes
Presidential Plus Card Changes

Based on post by pstrasma
Print Wikipost

PresidentialPlus credit card - Benefits, Q&A, .... (impact of 2019 & 2020 MP changes)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2019, 7:17 pm

When I login to mystatus.united.com, and click on Platinum it still says:

PQD requirement for this status is waived for 2019 because you are a United MileagePlus Presidential Plus Card holder.
Xyzzy and worldwidedreamer like this.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 7:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by stravels
Is there a working page? Just found out that the PQD waiver up to platinum was dropped for 2019. Was told notification was via a statement, but phone rep couldn't tell me which one. I don't get monthly statements as I don't use the card often. She is having marketing send me the statement via snail mail. Asked if any other changes, and she said "no" but... Waiver was the main reason for keeping the card as I don't want to put $25k on a United card.

$450 for lounge access is hard to justify with other options except for IRROPS. Anything else I should consider? TIA
Are you sure abut this? My account information would tell me that nothing has changed. It still says, "We've waived the minimum segment requirement because you are a United MileagePlus Presidential Plus Card holder. and Please note, the United MileagePlus Presidential Plus Card waiver doesn't count toward Premier 1K qualification..
gsalem94122 likes this.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 7:58 pm

Programs: UA 1K, CO Plat, NW Plat, Marriott Premiere Plat, SPG Plat, Priority Gold, Hilton Gold
I realize I may just have made a grave error... I just (today) swapped my PP card for a Club card as I probably don't have a need for FEQM for a while... but forgot about the spend waiver. After an unexpected expensive flight for a funeral at the end of the year I made 1k with a mileage run but no way I make the $15k next year... and while I'll almost certainly make 75k miles again, the $9k may be dicey...

But I also don't want to pay the annual fee twice either....

Last edited by raehl311; Jan 17, 2019 at 8:05 pm
Old Jan 17, 2019, 8:18 pm
Formerly known as mmihalik

Don't give up your Presidential Plus Card!

As no one is able to apply to get this card anymore, you may have made a grave mistake exchanging it for the United Club card.

You may try calling back to see if your acct could be reinstated.

In other words, never make a change until you have the time to research carefully. I think it was Been Franklin who stated, "haste makes waste".
worldwidedreamer likes this.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 1:17 am

Programs: UA platinum, HA platinum, Hyatt, Hilton, Marriott, Priority Club, SPG
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
This is the first report I have seen on FT and it does seem odd no one else has mentioned this. Was this a UA or Chase phone rep?

Statements and "statement enclosures" are also posted electronically in your online Chase account.
It was a Chase phone rep--United one (I called the Reserve number because I didn't have the United card on me and was transferred. The first agent put me on hold to check, but she dropped the call. The second one told me it was cancelled for 2019.

I'll check again, but I only saw statements for months that I had activity; didn't use the card much.

BUT, I clicked on the "Year to date" tab and do see the waiver statement mentioned above (mahalo!). I'm screen capturing this right now! I was looking at the opening screen that doesn't show the waiver (Previous year tab--doesn't make sense as I had the waiver last year).
Old Jan 23, 2019, 6:19 pm

Programs: UA 1K, CO Plat, NW Plat, Marriott Premiere Plat, SPG Plat, Priority Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by M2inOR
As no one is able to apply to get this card anymore, you may have made a grave mistake exchanging it for the United Club card.

You may try calling back to see if your acct could be reinstated.

In other words, never make a change until you have the time to research carefully. I think it was Been Franklin who stated, "haste makes waste".
I did call back within hours... they said they would send a letter to the department that handles it but didn't promise anything, and based on my online account view, I'm not sure they were able to reverse it.

Which is the stink, as I still have quite a few FEQM in my account...

That said, most of them will expire in a couple years and Plat vs. Gold isn't a very big difference so end of the day the 1.5 miles is probably worth it. I didn't use any FEQM this past year and probably won't next year either.
Old Feb 22, 2019, 7:59 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, IHG Silver, Hilton Silver, Hertz PC, National Exec Elite, Avis PC
Has anyone received a version of the PPlus card with contactless payment? My spouse just got a new Club card and it has that feature.
Old Feb 22, 2019, 11:43 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Say Vandelay
Has anyone received a version of the PPlus card with contactless payment? My spouse just got a new Club card and it has that feature.
Yes, I just got one early this week. I had to get a replacement card and it's the newer black style with contactless payment. I even tried it out this week too!
Old Feb 22, 2019, 12:37 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Starbucks Gold, PF Chang's Warrior, Wine Century 100
The PP Mastercard still does not work with Apple Pay. It looks like the card needs to be a Visa to be ApplePay eligible. Are there any downsides to converting this card to Visa?

https://www.chase.com/digital/digita...accepted-cards
Old Feb 22, 2019, 12:40 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by paule123
The PP Mastercard still does not work with Apple Pay. It looks like the card needs to be a Visa to be ApplePay eligible. Are there any downsides to converting this card to Visa?

https://www.chase.com/digital/digita...accepted-cards
I haven't found any. I converted mine over to a Visa last year and never looked back. I use Apple Pay all the time.
That being said, I haven't done any travel in Europe since then and I don't know if there is any difference between the two over there.
Old Feb 22, 2019, 1:01 pm

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Avis Pres, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by hindle
I haven't found any. I converted mine over to a Visa last year and never looked back. I use Apple Pay all the time.
That being said, I haven't done any travel in Europe since then and I don't know if there is any difference between the two over there.
Did you lose your Avis Presidential Plus? That's one reason I've been hesitant to touch it.
Xyzzy likes this.
Old Feb 22, 2019, 4:52 pm

Programs: Ikon Pass Full + AS Gold + Marriott Titanium + Hilton Gold. Recovering UA Plat. LT lounge AA+DL+UA
Originally Posted by hindle
It depends on what other cards you carry. The PP MC is a "World Elite" card which brings its own suite of benefits. Not sure what the status is of the PP Visa; the United Club card is a Visa Signature card. People who hold the CSR card get Visa Infinite status which would be worth more than Visa Signature.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 4:14 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA Plat
This may have been covered elsewhere, but has the waiver of close-in award fees been removed as a Presidential Plus benefit? I realize this is only relevant for a short period of time because (I think) the close-in award fees will go away altogether in November, but I am UA Gold and a PP Cardholder, and I just booked a domestic award ticket for travel <21 days out and was charged not just the standard $5.60 but also a $25 fee, which I had never seen before on my prior award bookings. And then googling led me to this page: https://www.chase.com/personal/credi...ravel-benefits where it seems the reference to the close-in fee waiver had been removed.

Has anyone else had experience with this?
Old Jul 8, 2019, 11:43 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Starbucks Gold, PF Chang's Warrior, Wine Century 100
Originally Posted by twoaisleplane
This may have been covered elsewhere, but has the waiver of close-in award fees been removed as a Presidential Plus benefit? I realize this is only relevant for a short period of time because (I think) the close-in award fees will go away altogether in November, but I am UA Gold and a PP Cardholder, and I just booked a domestic award ticket for travel <21 days out and was charged not just the standard $5.60 but also a $25 fee, which I had never seen before on my prior award bookings. And then googling led me to this page: https://www.chase.com/personal/credi...ravel-benefits where it seems the reference to the close-in fee waiver had been removed.

I'm a Silver and did a last minute award booking this past June 21 for a June 22 flight and my PPMC card bill is showing the usual $5.60 charge. Domestic flight and it's the old MasterCard version, if that matters.
Old Jul 9, 2019, 1:59 am

Originally Posted by twoaisleplane

I did just experience this recently myself. Were you possibly booking for multiple passengers? In my case I booked tickets for my wife and son two weeks ago. When I got to the payment screen, the website suddenly added in $50 (2x$25) for close-in fee that had not been in any of the subsequent screens. The chase link I found said that the close-in fee is waived for tickets purchased for the cardholder and for authorized users. This made me think that I was being charged for both, despite my wife being on the account, since my son is not on my card account.

To test this, I then tried booking just a ticket for my just my wife, thinking I would just buy a separate ticket for my son to at least save myself one $25 close-in fee. Sure enough, this time I got to the payment screen with no fee, but then I realized that since my son is a minor I could not book his ticket alone without calling in (and likely getting hit with an additional $25 phone booking fee).

So I ended up just booking both together and of course the $50 fee showed back up again at the end of the process. I paid it, then called in and explained that apparent web error (I noted that my wife is an authorized user, and that oddly enough my 4 year is not...). The agent very quickly refunded the fee.

Good luck

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.