Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

PresidentialPlus credit card - Benefits, Q&A, .... (impact of 2019 & 2020 MP changes)

Old Jan 5, 2015, 11:45 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Previous thread -- Presidential Plus Card Changes

Related thread - General Questions re: MileagePlus Flex PQM

This legacy Chase credit card is not taking new applications. Compiled below is a comparison of current card-derived vs. status-derived benefits.

Overall, the current benefits of the PP and the replacement Club card are nearly identical. The key trade-off is increased redeemable mile (RDM) earnings with the Club card vs. FPQM with the PP card. Basically, the Club card earns an incremental 0.5 RDM / $1 vs. the PP card’s 0.2 PQM / $1. This sets a 2.5 RDM : $1 PQM ratio, which puts a price on PQMs earned this way at $0.025 to $0.050. Given that PQMs cost atleast $0.08 or more each if purchased early in the year via award accelerator, this is a pretty good deal for those who anticipate falling short of the upcoming year’s desired Silver / Gold / Platinum threshold.

Benefits unique to the PP card:
- 1000 FPQM per $5,000 spend (or 0.2 / $1)
- FPQMs are only valid for Premier Silver / Gold / Platinum status, expire 3 years after earning
- 1 RDM / $1 card spend (x2 hotel & rental cars for personal card, x2 restaurants, gas, office supplies for business card)
- Premier Qualifying Dollar (PQD) waiver (no minimum card spend, doesn’t apply to 1K)

Benefits unique to the Club card:
- 1.5 RDM / $1 card spend
- PQD waiver (with $25,000 minimum card spend, doesn’t apply to 1K)

Benefits shared between PP and Club cards:
- $395 annual fee
- United club membership (vs. $450 1K/GS, $500 Platinum, $550 Gold, $550 Silver, $550 GM, +$550 with spouse)
- Waiver of 4 segment on United flights for Premier qualification (removed in 2020)
- Premier Access (group 2 boarding)
- 2 free checked bags (vs. 1 Silver, 2 Gold, 3 Platinum)
- Hyatt Gold Passport Platinum
- Hertz Hertz President's Circle status (vs. Five Star for Premier Silver / Gold) (expiring 31 January 2023)
- CPU on award tickets
- No <21 day award booking fees (vs. $50 Silver, $25 Gold, $0 Platinum)
- No foreign transaction fees
- Concierge service

Benefits compared to Explorer card:
- only $95 annual fee
- only 1 free bag for cardholder and 1 companion
- 1 RDM / $1 card spend, +10,000 bonus after $25,000 card spend)
- 2 single-use club passes
- Premier Access (group 2 boarding)
- Premier Qualifying Dollar waiver (with $25,000 minimum card spend)

Sources (accessed Jan 1, 2015):

Chase United Card Benefits
https://www.chase.com/online/Credit-...ewards-new.htm

United Premier Status Benefits
http://www.united.com/web/en-US/cont...r/default.aspx

United Premier Status Qualification Requirements
Premier status qualification requirements

Prior FlyerTalk thread on Presidential Plus card changes
Presidential Plus Card Changes

Based on post by pstrasma
Print Wikipost

PresidentialPlus credit card - Benefits, Q&A, .... (impact of 2019 & 2020 MP changes)

Old Jul 10, 2017, 9:20 am

Programs: Ikon Pass Full + AS Gold + Marriott Titanium + Hilton Gold. Recovering UA Plat. LT lounge AA+DL+UA
Originally Posted by SS255
Great news! I just received my notification, but hadn't yet gotten around to calling Chase to complain. Now I'll just sit back and wait for my new letter.
I received notification of the fee increase, in my case hitting the account next month. Have yet to receive a letter informing that they will honor the grandfathered fee. Anyone else in the same boat?
Old Jul 10, 2017, 9:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by worldwidedreamer
I received notification of the fee increase, in my case hitting the account next month. Have yet to receive a letter informing that they will honor the grandfathered fee. Anyone else in the same boat?
Same here - but my renewal is nt until March I think.
Old Jul 11, 2017, 6:58 am

Programs: UA 1.65M , Platinum, 1K Emeritus, UC Lifetime , HHonors Gold, Presidential Plus card holder
Originally Posted by worldwidedreamer
I received the notice of increase a few weeks ago. I have heard nothing about grandfathering those of us who have lifetime UC membership other than what I have read here.
Old Jul 11, 2017, 9:33 am

Programs: Ikon Pass Full + AS Gold + Marriott Titanium + Hilton Gold. Recovering UA Plat. LT lounge AA+DL+UA
Originally Posted by 8MiHi
I received the notice of increase a few weeks ago. I have heard nothing about grandfathering those of us who have lifetime UC membership other than what I have read here.
I reached out to @ChaseSupport via Twitter DM. Another confirmation that the annual feel will remain the same. Best of luck for everyone else!

Old Jul 11, 2017, 10:11 am

Just received my renewal statement and fee remains same, $ 395.00.
Old Jul 11, 2017, 1:01 pm

Originally Posted by Exleftseat
Just received my renewal statement and fee remains same, $ 395.00.
For what it is worth, Mrs. Worldwide dreamer also contacted @chasesupport and received a different response. It looks like they may be handling us on a case-by-case basis.

Old Aug 1, 2017, 8:18 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Starbucks Gold, PF Chang's Warrior, Wine Century 100
A client booked my ticket through Amex corporate travel agency on their corporate card. When I check the rez in united.com it's showing the baggage fees. My UA FF number is on the rez and I can change seats, etc. Anyone had success in showing the PPMC at checkin counter and waiving the bag fees even if tix not purchased on PPMC?
Old Aug 1, 2017, 8:25 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by paule123
A client booked my ticket through Amex corporate travel agency on their corporate card. When I check the rez in united.com it's showing the baggage fees. My UA FF number is on the rez and I can change seats, etc. Anyone had success in showing the PPMC at checkin counter and waiving the bag fees even if tix not purchased on PPMC?
The rules are quite clear -- only if the card is used does the bag waive apply.

Also http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...gage-fees.html for examples

While an occasional agent might waive the fees, best be prepared to pay based on the above thread.
Old Aug 10, 2017, 7:43 pm

Programs: UA 1K
My fee has not increased, and for that, I am thankful! Higher fee would make the card less justifiable as a leisure traveler.
Old Aug 22, 2017, 9:15 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
I called Chase to object to the 350% increase in my annual fee. The agent put me on hold for a while, and then came back and said that Lifetime UC members should not have received the notice. She told me to ignore the notice, and she noted the $100 fee (which resets in November) in my record.
Old Aug 22, 2017, 4:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by SS255
I called Chase to object to the 350% increase in my annual fee. The agent put me on hold for a while, and then came back and said that Lifetime UC members should not have received the notice. She told me to ignore the notice, and she noted the $100 fee (which resets in November) in my record.
I am a lifetime member and I received the letter. My guess is that everyone received it. I'll have t give them another call.
Old Aug 22, 2017, 5:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
I got the notification a while ago, ended up changing to the Explorer card, and burned the Flex miles off. I can't justify spending that much on a CC each year that doesn't provide $450 in "value". At least Delta lets you spend $40 a month to get club access, too bad United doesn't. I had a club pass with them for about 15 years.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 7:14 am

Does the Presidential Plus card still offer the Hyatt Gold Passport Platinum ? Hyatt told me they no longer partner with that credit card. So I'm going to have to pay an extra $50 a year now and lose a benefit ?
Old Sep 19, 2017, 7:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
I no longer see it on the benefits list. However, lowest level Hyatt status is pretty much worthless, so I don't think it's that great of a loss.
Old Sep 27, 2017, 7:30 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, IHG Silver, Hilton Silver, Hertz PC, National Exec Elite, Avis PC
Is the front of anyone else's metal PPlus card peeling off? I don't think I have had this one more than 2 years.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.