Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

PresidentialPlus credit card - Benefits, Q&A, ....[2014-forward] Large fee bump 2017

PresidentialPlus credit card - Benefits, Q&A, ....[2014-forward] Large fee bump 2017

Hide Wikipost
Old Mar 9, 17, 10:47 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: edcho
Wiki Link
Previous thread -- Presidential Plus Card Changes

Related thread - General Questions re: MileagePlus Flex PQM

This legacy Chase credit card is not taking new applications. Compiled below is a comparison of current card-derived vs. status-derived benefits.

Overall, the current benefits of the PP and the replacement Club card are nearly identical. The key trade-off is increased redeemable mile (RDM) earnings with the Club card vs. FPQM with the PP card. Basically, the Club card earns an incremental 0.5 RDM / $1 vs. the PP card’s 0.2 PQM / $1. This sets a 2.5 RDM : $1 PQM ratio, which puts a price on PQMs earned this way at $0.025 to $0.050. Given that PQMs cost atleast $0.08 or more each if purchased early in the year via award accelerator, this is a pretty good deal for those who anticipate falling short of the upcoming year’s desired Silver / Gold / Platinum threshold.

Benefits unique to the PP card:
- 1000 FPQM per $5,000 spend (or 0.2 / $1)
- FPQMs are only valid for Premier Silver / Gold / Platinum status, expire 3 years after earning
- 1 RDM / $1 card spend (x2 hotel & rental cars for personal card, x2 restaurants, gas, office supplies for business card)
- Premier Qualifying Dollar (PQD) waiver (no minimum card spend, doesn’t apply to 1K)

Benefits unique to the Club card:
- 1.5 RDM / $1 card spend
- PQD waiver (with $25,000 minimum card spend, doesn’t apply to 1K)

Benefits shared between PP and Club cards:
- $395 annual fee
- United club membership (vs. $450 1K/GS, $500 Platinum, $550 Gold, $550 Silver, $550 GM, +$550 with spouse)
- Waiver of 4 segment on United flights for Premier qualification
- Premier Access (group 2 boarding)
- 2 free checked bags (vs. 1 Silver, 2 Gold, 3 Platinum)
- Hyatt Gold Passport Platinum
- Hertz Hertz President's Circle status (vs. Five Star for Premier Silver / Gold)
- CPU on award tickets
- No <21 day award booking fees (vs. $50 Silver, $25 Gold, $0 Platinum)
- No foreign transaction fees
- Concierge service

Benefits compared to Explorer card:
- only $95 annual fee
- only 1 free bag for cardholder and 1 companion
- 1 RDM / $1 card spend, +10,000 bonus after $25,000 card spend)
- 2 single-use club passes
- Premier Access (group 2 boarding)
- Premier Qualifying Dollar waiver (with $25,000 minimum card spend)

Sources (accessed Jan 1, 2015):

Chase United Card Benefits
https://www.chase.com/online/Credit-...ewards-new.htm

United Premier Status Benefits
http://www.united.com/web/en-US/cont...r/default.aspx

United Premier Status Qualification Requirements
Premier status qualification requirements

Prior FlyerTalk thread on Presidential Plus card changes
Presidential Plus Card Changes

Based on post by pstrasma
Print Wikipost

Old Jul 19, 18, 10:13 am

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Avis Pres, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by Say Vandelay View Post
When mine was a Mastercard 5466 I had a case of fraud annually, all domestic (Target, Michael Kors, Kroger), from the year I opened the card until 2015, when, since I was getting a new card number anyways I switched it to Visa so I could use ApplyPay. Since it has been Visa, I have had no fraud (knock on wood). I did some analysis and the only unique place I had visited in the month before each fraudulent charge was the EWR Terminal C garage payment kiosk. Coincidence?
I don't use the kiosks ... EZPass Plus works way better for me. The kiosks tend to either run out of paper or jam when printing the receipt, which makes my expense reports a PITA...
Old Jul 20, 18, 7:02 pm

Changing to Visa

I just discovered that I have fraud again on my MasterCard for, I don't know, the eighth time at least? I have lost track.

When I went to report it, I asked about switching it to a Visa, but the original customer service agent said that they no longer offered the Presidential Plus and I could not do that. I pushed back a little, but I was soon transferred to Fraud/Security and they can't help with the switch to Visa.

I am going to wait until my new MasterCard comes in the mail and then call again to try and switch it to Visa. Is there something specific I should say or was my original customer service agent an atypical example?
Old Jul 20, 18, 8:19 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
Originally Posted by wcj1 View Post
I just discovered that I have fraud again on my MasterCard
You are not alone. This is my second time since February! This is ultimately helping me switch spending to a card that provides cash back. Maybe this is Chase’s way of getting me to drop the Presidential Plus card.
Old Jul 22, 18, 3:29 pm

Programs: UA 1k MM, HHonors Diamond
"I just discovered that I have fraud again on my Mastercard"

Just happened for the 4th time this morning on this card. First three were all in Veracruz MX, at least this was closer to home in SoCal. I keep the card because of the flex miles
Old Jul 22, 18, 4:18 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G; Le Club Accor Platinum; Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Hertz PC
My card expires in September...no replacement sent yet. It's been a really long time since I had a replacement mailed to me because of expiration...any idea when I should expect the new cards to show up?
Old Jul 22, 18, 8:51 pm

Programs: UA GS 2MM, QFF Platinum, HH Diamond, HawaiianMiles
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37 View Post
My card expires in September...no replacement sent yet. It's been a really long time since I had a replacement mailed to me because of expiration...any idea when I should expect the new cards to show up?
Mine just renewed, came early the month before expiry.
Old Jul 23, 18, 7:37 pm

Programs: CO Plat, Hertz Gold, Hilton & Avis Gold, Starwood Gold
I have the old CO Presidential MasterCard and the UA VISA card. The MasterCard has benefits that are not available to Chase VISA, I think.
The card was hacked 10 times over recent years. Today it was at a CA USA gas station. Previously all were charges from Mexico.
I asked the agent in the Philippines, who said she is a Chase employee, if she would have their fraud department provide me a full explanation why they have failed to come up with a fix, possibly changing the beginning numbers. She noted the request. I am skeptical the call from higher-ups will ever come. The new card is expedited.
Old Jul 23, 18, 9:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike...
Programs: CO, NW & UA forum moderator emeritus
I've not had mine hacked in a while but like others here my PPMC was fraudulently used in MX just like those of a few of my friends. I'm cnvinced that someone had an inside line on a large number of card numbers.
Old Oct 1, 18, 3:37 pm

Programs: Giants Ballpark Pass. Lifetime Ambassador Club. WN A+/CP, AS MVP, UA Gold, Marriott Platinum.
Originally Posted by Xyzzy View Post
I've not had mine hacked in a while but like others here my PPMC was fraudulently used in MX just like those of a few of my friends. I'm cnvinced that someone had an inside line on a large number of card numbers.
Would not be surprised if there was a yet-to-be discovered data breach at Chase. Unfortunately these things are quite common.
Old Oct 11, 18, 1:50 pm

Programs: UA 1.5MM Platinum, UC Lifetime , HHonors Diamond
Was billed the hoped for $100 AF for my Presidential Plus card. Very happy I have it still.
Old Nov 13, 18, 8:17 am

Programs: UA Gold, low tier elite at several hotel programs named w/ made-up words
Hyatt Discoverist benefit, whatever that is worth, is going away in 2020 according to an email sent today:

We want to let you know about an upcoming change to your United Presidential Plus Card...

As a primary Cardmember, you will be able to enjoy Discoverist status in the World of Hyatt® loyalty program¹ until February 29, 2020, but you must register for this Hyatt benefit by December 31, 2018. You will no longer be able to register for this Hyatt benefit after December 31, 2018.

If you've already registered for Discoverist status in the World of Hyatt program, you don't need to register again. Your status will remain active through February 29, 2020, as long as you remain a Cardmember.

Thank you for being a Presidential Plus Cardmember.
Old Nov 13, 18, 2:55 pm

Programs: Giants Ballpark Pass. Lifetime Ambassador Club. WN A+/CP, AS MVP, UA Gold, Marriott Platinum.
Originally Posted by Say Vandelay View Post
Hyatt Discoverist benefit, whatever that is worth, is going away in 2020 according to an email sent today:
Not necessarily. This could well be a deal that they renew every year.
Old Nov 13, 18, 5:48 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Accor Plat, Htz PC, Natl ExEm, other random status
Originally Posted by worldwidedreamer View Post
Not necessarily. This could well be a deal that they renew every year.
It didn't seem like it - they made very clear that if you didn't sign up for it by December 31, 2018 you would not receive the benefit. That sounds like it's going away for good.
Old Nov 13, 18, 7:57 pm

Originally Posted by greg99 View Post
It didn't seem like it - they made very clear that if you didn't sign up for it by December 31, 2018 you would not receive the benefit. That sounds like it's going away for good.
Seemed pretty clear to me also that it is not coming back. hope they replace it with something better, but I'm not optimistic.
Old Nov 14, 18, 10:49 am

I received this similar message in October 2015, requiring registration for participation. As long as Chase offers both Hyatt and United credit cards, I don't see a reason the status quo will change.

To be honest it seems more reasonable to have an annual opt-in, as opposed to a periodic (probably whenever their mutual contracts renew) opt-in. After all someone is paying something for this, probably Chase to Hyatt.

Search this Thread