Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

PresidentialPlus credit card - Benefits, Q&A, .... (impact of 2019 & 2020 MP changes)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 5, 2015, 11:45 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Previous thread -- Presidential Plus Card Changes

Related thread - General Questions re: MileagePlus Flex PQM

This legacy Chase credit card is not taking new applications. Compiled below is a comparison of current card-derived vs. status-derived benefits.

Overall, the current benefits of the PP and the replacement Club card are nearly identical. The key trade-off is increased redeemable mile (RDM) earnings with the Club card vs. FPQM with the PP card. Basically, the Club card earns an incremental 0.5 RDM / $1 vs. the PP card’s 0.2 PQM / $1. This sets a 2.5 RDM : $1 PQM ratio, which puts a price on PQMs earned this way at $0.025 to $0.050. Given that PQMs cost atleast $0.08 or more each if purchased early in the year via award accelerator, this is a pretty good deal for those who anticipate falling short of the upcoming year’s desired Silver / Gold / Platinum threshold.

Benefits unique to the PP card:
- 1000 FPQM per $5,000 spend (or 0.2 / $1)
- FPQMs are only valid for Premier Silver / Gold / Platinum status, expire 3 years after earning
- 1 RDM / $1 card spend (x2 hotel & rental cars for personal card, x2 restaurants, gas, office supplies for business card)
- Premier Qualifying Dollar (PQD) waiver (no minimum card spend, doesn’t apply to 1K)

Benefits unique to the Club card:
- 1.5 RDM / $1 card spend
- PQD waiver (with $25,000 minimum card spend, doesn’t apply to 1K)

Benefits shared between PP and Club cards:
- $395 annual fee
- United club membership (vs. $450 1K/GS, $500 Platinum, $550 Gold, $550 Silver, $550 GM, +$550 with spouse)
- Waiver of 4 segment on United flights for Premier qualification (removed in 2020)
- Premier Access (group 2 boarding)
- 2 free checked bags (vs. 1 Silver, 2 Gold, 3 Platinum)
- Hyatt Gold Passport Platinum
- Hertz Hertz President's Circle status (vs. Five Star for Premier Silver / Gold) (expiring 31 January 2023)
- CPU on award tickets
- No <21 day award booking fees (vs. $50 Silver, $25 Gold, $0 Platinum)
- No foreign transaction fees
- Concierge service

Benefits compared to Explorer card:
- only $95 annual fee
- only 1 free bag for cardholder and 1 companion
- 1 RDM / $1 card spend, +10,000 bonus after $25,000 card spend)
- 2 single-use club passes
- Premier Access (group 2 boarding)
- Premier Qualifying Dollar waiver (with $25,000 minimum card spend)

Sources (accessed Jan 1, 2015):

Chase United Card Benefits
https://www.chase.com/online/Credit-...ewards-new.htm

United Premier Status Benefits
http://www.united.com/web/en-US/cont...r/default.aspx

United Premier Status Qualification Requirements
Premier status qualification requirements

Prior FlyerTalk thread on Presidential Plus card changes
Presidential Plus Card Changes

Based on post by pstrasma
Print Wikipost

PresidentialPlus credit card - Benefits, Q&A, .... (impact of 2019 & 2020 MP changes)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2014, 6:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by edcho
I got burned on this as I booked two one-ways (to get the united.com credit). My return home, I was rerouted to BOS (due to WX) and spent the night there before coming home to NYC. Tried to claim and they informed me of the coverage.

I just looked at my benefit guide that came with the card and it didn't mention it in there ... arg.
Call them back and file a claim under trip cancelation - this should cover extreme weather events that interrupt travel.
Old Jan 7, 2014, 6:48 pm
RNE

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
perhaps you could illuminate the rest of us on those "other benefit" limitations -- not terrible useful to state there are limitations without following up with what the limitations are (or at least the ones you are aware). FT is for information exchanges, not teases, as your closing suggests.
I'm not a reference librarian. I'm a seer and sage.

Seriously, last time I talked to a benefits administrator was a year ago. No telling what has changed since then but it's safe to assume benefits have not gotten more generous.

For misleading coverage information, see this page: https://www.chase.com/online/Credit-...ection-new.htm

For accurate coverage information, call this number: 1-888-795-0576
Old Jan 7, 2014, 6:59 pm
RNE

By the way, I made this same warning on September 13, 2012, to little fanfare.

Thread: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/conti...nefits-49.html

My post: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/19310058-post735.html
Old Jan 9, 2014, 2:37 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 75k, UA zilch, IHG Spire, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Plat, Hertz Gold, Avis Presidents
Originally Posted by manneca
I decided I would read the credit card benefits for all my cards (having almost been burned by assuming car rental benefits on one card which turned out not to be available). The Pres. Plus Card has $10k in trip cancellation coverage per person ticketed on the card. I don't buy trip cancellation insurance, and I rarely book travel that is non cancelable, but occasionally I do. I've decided this feature is worth the fee (I have a lifetime membership to the United Club, bought back when it was worth something, so my fee is only $100)

The PDQ waiver will also be worth something to me as I doubt that I will be 1K again.
If one doesn't have the lifetime membership, and is ok dropping the united club access from the card, is it possible to do so but keep the PP card? Get the PQD waiver and the other benefits, but not spend the extra 295 on what's turned into a relatively disappointing "feature"
Old Jan 9, 2014, 2:44 pm

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by brarrr
If one doesn't have the lifetime membership, and is ok dropping the united club access from the card, is it possible to do so but keep the PP card? Get the PQD waiver and the other benefits, but not spend the extra 295 on what's turned into a relatively disappointing "feature"
There is no such option...it comes as a package.
Old Jan 12, 2014, 9:40 am

Programs: UA *G; Marriott, Hyatt, Hertz gold
Do Presidential Plus FLEX PQMs Waive PQDs?

If you use the flex PQMs to get to gold/plat, it is likely (esp. in my case) that you would not have the required spend. Do the flex miles reduce the spend or no effect? Can't find any info to this effect.

Thanks,

H
Old Jan 12, 2014, 9:53 am

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Using FPQM does not change the PQD requirement.
Old Jan 12, 2014, 9:55 am

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Using FPQM does not change the PQD requirement.
Correct, though FPQMs come from holding a CC which does waive the PQDs requirement up to Platinum Premier IIRC.

Originally Posted by united.com
In 2014, the PQD requirement is waived for Premier Silver, Premier Gold and Premier Platinum qualification if you meet one of the following criteria:
You spend at least $25,000 in Net Purchases in 2014 on a MileagePlus co-branded credit card issued by Chase Bank USA, N.A.
OR
You hold a United MileagePlus Presidential Plus℠ Card.1
http://www.united.com/web/en-US/cont...r/qualify.aspx
Old Jan 12, 2014, 9:56 am

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by sbm12
Correct, though FPQMs come from holding a CC which does waive the PQDs requirement up to Platinum Premier IIRC.
Doesn't that require a minimum CC spend?

Last edited by mahasamatman; Jan 12, 2014 at 10:23 am Reason: typo
Old Jan 12, 2014, 10:00 am
formerly known as felinaar

Programs: UA Plat, AA Gold, AS MVPG, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold
No, if you have the Presidential Plus credit card, you receive an automatic PQD waiver up to and including Premier Platinum. There is no minimum spend requirement.
Old Jan 12, 2014, 10:13 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat, UA 1K, SPG Plat, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Plat
The waiver (and PQD) only applies up to the Platinum level. There is no waiver of spend to reach 1K, and you still have to fork over $10,000 to get it. Likewise the FPQM don't count towards 1K. I tested this earlier in the year and used my FPQM to get Platinum early. Then I hit 100K miles and did not get 1K status. Once I hit 121,600 PQM, the 1K status was achieved, as I had used 21,600 FPQM earlier in the year.
Old Jan 12, 2014, 11:34 am

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Doesn't that require a minimum CC spend?
No. Read the text I quoted above. It is quite clear that holding the PresidentialPlus card (the only way to earn FPQMs) is an outright exemption up to Platinum status.
Old Jan 12, 2014, 11:39 am

Originally Posted by sbm12
Read the text I quoted above.
You added that after I posted...
Old Jan 12, 2014, 3:31 pm

Programs: UA *G; Marriott, Hyatt, Hertz gold
Thanks - this is very helpful! Puzzling that on my mileage plus statement it says that the 4 required United segments are waived, but nothing about the PQD condition being waived.

H
Old Jan 12, 2014, 9:56 pm

Programs: UA Plat/AA,DL Dirt/HH Diamond,Hyatt Something-ist/Hz Prez,Avis Pres Club
On the My Account page click on the "View Premier Progress" link and if you have the Pres Plus card it should note "Presidential Plus PQD waiver: Eligible" below the 4-segment minimum waiver. It doesn't show the PQD waiver on the My Account page but does show up on the popup.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.