Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

PresidentialPlus credit card - Benefits, Q&A, .... (impact of 2019 & 2020 MP changes)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 5, 2015, 11:45 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Previous thread -- Presidential Plus Card Changes

Related thread - General Questions re: MileagePlus Flex PQM

This legacy Chase credit card is not taking new applications. Compiled below is a comparison of current card-derived vs. status-derived benefits.

Overall, the current benefits of the PP and the replacement Club card are nearly identical. The key trade-off is increased redeemable mile (RDM) earnings with the Club card vs. FPQM with the PP card. Basically, the Club card earns an incremental 0.5 RDM / $1 vs. the PP card’s 0.2 PQM / $1. This sets a 2.5 RDM : $1 PQM ratio, which puts a price on PQMs earned this way at $0.025 to $0.050. Given that PQMs cost atleast $0.08 or more each if purchased early in the year via award accelerator, this is a pretty good deal for those who anticipate falling short of the upcoming year’s desired Silver / Gold / Platinum threshold.

Benefits unique to the PP card:
- 1000 FPQM per $5,000 spend (or 0.2 / $1)
- FPQMs are only valid for Premier Silver / Gold / Platinum status, expire 3 years after earning
- 1 RDM / $1 card spend (x2 hotel & rental cars for personal card, x2 restaurants, gas, office supplies for business card)
- Premier Qualifying Dollar (PQD) waiver (no minimum card spend, doesn’t apply to 1K)

Benefits unique to the Club card:
- 1.5 RDM / $1 card spend
- PQD waiver (with $25,000 minimum card spend, doesn’t apply to 1K)

Benefits shared between PP and Club cards:
- $395 annual fee
- United club membership (vs. $450 1K/GS, $500 Platinum, $550 Gold, $550 Silver, $550 GM, +$550 with spouse)
- Waiver of 4 segment on United flights for Premier qualification (removed in 2020)
- Premier Access (group 2 boarding)
- 2 free checked bags (vs. 1 Silver, 2 Gold, 3 Platinum)
- Hyatt Gold Passport Platinum
- Hertz Hertz President's Circle status (vs. Five Star for Premier Silver / Gold) (expiring 31 January 2023)
- CPU on award tickets
- No <21 day award booking fees (vs. $50 Silver, $25 Gold, $0 Platinum)
- No foreign transaction fees
- Concierge service

Benefits compared to Explorer card:
- only $95 annual fee
- only 1 free bag for cardholder and 1 companion
- 1 RDM / $1 card spend, +10,000 bonus after $25,000 card spend)
- 2 single-use club passes
- Premier Access (group 2 boarding)
- Premier Qualifying Dollar waiver (with $25,000 minimum card spend)

Sources (accessed Jan 1, 2015):

Chase United Card Benefits
https://www.chase.com/online/Credit-...ewards-new.htm

United Premier Status Benefits
http://www.united.com/web/en-US/cont...r/default.aspx

United Premier Status Qualification Requirements
Premier status qualification requirements

Prior FlyerTalk thread on Presidential Plus card changes
Presidential Plus Card Changes

Based on post by pstrasma
Print Wikipost

PresidentialPlus credit card - Benefits, Q&A, .... (impact of 2019 & 2020 MP changes)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2015, 7:31 am

Originally Posted by visorboy1974
Silver does qualify for comp F upgrades.
Sure they qualify, but would you ever get one? Probably not.
Old Jan 20, 2015, 7:35 am

Programs: United MileagePlus Premier Silver/Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by jstigall
Sure they qualify, but would you ever get one? Probably not.
Hub to hub, I'd say less than 1% chance, yeah, but I was about 40-50% getting to and returning from other destinations from ORD.
Old Jan 20, 2015, 7:36 am

They are showing Presidential on the website again so I called and confirmed.

I often do the paid upgrade at 24 hour check in which I thought might be indication of availability for comp if I was silver. Trying to weigh the pros and cons. A few times in first certainly spoils you from coach
Old Jan 20, 2015, 7:42 am

Originally Posted by distrips
They are showing Presidential on the website again so I called and confirmed.

I often do the paid upgrade at 24 hour check in which I thought might be indication of availability for comp if I was silver. Trying to weigh the pros and cons. A few times in first certainly spoils you from coach
I would check how long the upgrade list usually is, as Silver you'd be at the bottom. Paying obviously puts you at the top. When I was flying Silver for years I was usually number 25 on the upgrade list at all times. But I was flying out of IAH always.

I would just say don't count on being upgraded as silver ever, you'll be disappointed!
Old Jan 20, 2015, 7:55 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
They are showing Presidential on the website again so I called and confirmed. ...
I would be careful about this assumption -- the old PP link is still there but others have reported it to be a zombie and on the United page if you go to the credit card page PP is not listed. So do you find the link by search or by following a link from the active pages?

Note there have been 2? reports of successfully get upgraded to PP card in the past 12 months, so not impossible but does not seem to be standard and many have been declined.

... I often do the paid upgrade at 24 hour check in which I thought might be indication of availability for comp if I was silver. ...
CPU for silvers are rare on hub-hub flights but may be better on some spoke routes.
Old Jan 20, 2015, 8:10 am

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
I would be careful about this assumption -- the old PP link is still there but others have reported it to be a zombie and on the United page if you go to the credit card page PP is not listed. So do you find the link by search or by following a link from the active pages?

Note there have been 2? reports of successfully get upgraded to PP card in the past 12 months, so not impossible but does not seem to be standard and many have been declined.

CPU for silvers are rare on hub-hub flights but may be better on some spoke routes.
Thanks. It was actually on the link on my rewards page. It is what got me started. I didn't go hunting it down it was delivered to me
Old Jan 20, 2015, 8:17 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
... my rewards page. ....
not sure what this is referring to .... if a UA page, there is a Home> ...... descriptor just below the header, what is the UA.com page name?
Old Jan 20, 2015, 8:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
For the record, I just went to UA.com and saw credit card partners. It listed Explorer, Explorer Biz, Club, etc. as well as a bunch of international options. Did not see PPlus mentioned
Old Jan 20, 2015, 8:57 am

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
not sure what this is referring to .... if a UA page, there is a Home> ...... descriptor just below the header, what is the UA.com page name?

Sorry, the my account page, not my rewards. Here's the link it sent me to
https://www.chase.com/online/Credit-...ate=2014-09-19
Old Jan 20, 2015, 9:08 am

Programs: UA Silver, DL GM, Hertz 5*, Marriott Plat
The credit care page above, IMO, serves to inform existing card members of the benefits offered by the card that they may be holding. The MileagePlus Select card is also listed - and I believe is not actively offered anymore, either. [I've used it to quickly reference the benefits of the Presidential Plus card that I have.]
Old Jan 20, 2015, 9:44 am

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Originally Posted by joshwex90
For the record, I just went to UA.com and saw credit card partners. It listed Explorer, Explorer Biz, Club, etc. as well as a bunch of international options. Did not see PPlus mentioned
Originally Posted by flash1129
The credit care page above, IMO, serves to inform existing card members of the benefits offered by the card that they may be holding. The MileagePlus Select card is also listed - and I believe is not actively offered anymore, either. [I've used it to quickly reference the benefits of the Presidential Plus card that I have.]
Exactly.
Old Jan 20, 2015, 10:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
That page has been around since they revamped the Chase cards. The only "legacy Continental" card is the Pres Plus, the Explorer card is basically a rebranded OnePass card. Legacy United had several different consumer credit cards to choose from, Legacy Continental did not (just the OnePass and the Pres Plus.)

I can only say good luck on getting it. There's apparently a secret handshake that you need to know to get the Pres Plus, which in all honesty none of us truly know if it works or not. There's only been two people that have been able to get the card here, since it was retired.
Old Mar 27, 2015, 2:52 pm

United milage plus presidential card losing the avis benefits

I am really upset at Chase chaninging from Avis to Hertz. I encourage everyone that has this card to wire a letter to the chase office of the president voicing the frustration of losing the presidential plus status I am pretty sure a lot of you are upset losing this benefit and the end of the year and downgrading all of benefits to Hertz . I wish there was something that could be done does anyone know of any way to get the benefit back next year at all because you can earn the status at all. Please i encourage everyone to write in if you need the email to the chase ceo i have it .
Old Mar 27, 2015, 3:23 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum/Lifetime Gold
really?
You're only five months late to this
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...nk-active.html
Old Mar 27, 2015, 3:42 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
There was a code to extend your top Avis status as well, despite the change, but had to be done by 12/31/14

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.