Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

PresidentialPlus credit card - Benefits, Q&A, ....

Old Jan 5, 2015, 11:45 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Previous thread -- Presidential Plus Card Changes

Related thread - General Questions re: MileagePlus Flex PQM

This legacy Chase credit card is not taking new applications. Compiled below is a comparison of current card-derived vs. status-derived benefits.

Overall, the current benefits of the PP and the replacement Club card are nearly identical. The key trade-off is increased redeemable mile (RDM) earnings with the Club card vs. FPQM with the PP card. Basically, the Club card earns an incremental 0.5 RDM / $1 vs. the PP cardís 0.2 PQM / $1. This sets a 2.5 RDM : $1 PQM ratio, which puts a price on PQMs earned this way at $0.025 to $0.050. Given that PQMs cost atleast $0.08 or more each if purchased early in the year via award accelerator, this is a pretty good deal for those who anticipate falling short of the upcoming yearís desired Silver / Gold / Platinum threshold.

Benefits unique to the PP card:
- 1000 FPQM per $5,000 spend (or 0.2 / $1)
- FPQMs are only valid for Premier Silver / Gold / Platinum status, expire 3 years after earning
- 1 RDM / $1 card spend (x2 hotel & rental cars for personal card, x2 restaurants, gas, office supplies for business card)
- Premier Qualifying Dollar (PQD) waiver (no minimum card spend, doesnít apply to 1K)

Benefits unique to the Club card:
- 1.5 RDM / $1 card spend
- PQD waiver (with $25,000 minimum card spend, doesnít apply to 1K)

Benefits shared between PP and Club cards:
- $395 annual fee
- United club membership (vs. $450 1K/GS, $500 Platinum, $550 Gold, $550 Silver, $550 GM, +$550 with spouse)
- Waiver of 4 segment on United flights for Premier qualification (removed in 2020)
- Premier Access (group 2 boarding)
- 2 free checked bags (vs. 1 Silver, 2 Gold, 3 Platinum)
- Hyatt Gold Passport Platinum
- Hertz Hertz President's Circle status (vs. Five Star for Premier Silver / Gold) (expiring 31 January 2023)
- CPU on award tickets
- No <21 day award booking fees (vs. $50 Silver, $25 Gold, $0 Platinum)
- No foreign transaction fees
- Concierge service

Benefits compared to Explorer card:
- only $95 annual fee
- only 1 free bag for cardholder and 1 companion
- 1 RDM / $1 card spend, +10,000 bonus after $25,000 card spend)
- 2 single-use club passes
- Premier Access (group 2 boarding)
- Premier Qualifying Dollar waiver (with $25,000 minimum card spend)

Sources (accessed Jan 1, 2015):

Chase United Card Benefits
https://www.chase.com/online/Credit-...ewards-new.htm

United Premier Status Benefits
http://www.united.com/web/en-US/cont...r/default.aspx

United Premier Status Qualification Requirements
Premier status qualification requirements

Prior FlyerTalk thread on Presidential Plus card changes
Presidential Plus Card Changes

Based on post by pstrasma
Print Wikipost

PresidentialPlus credit card - Benefits, Q&A, ....

Old Jan 5, 2014, 12:34 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by MLM JET
The CLUB card doesn't waive?
If you are referring to the PQD requirement. The Club cardholders get a waiver if the spend $25K with Chase MP cards in 2014. All the Chase MP cards have this option.

The PresPlus cardholders get the waiver without any spend requirement. (although given the nature of the card and likely customers, suspect many would meet the $25K spend value)
Old Jan 5, 2014, 12:35 pm

Originally Posted by MLM JET
The CLUB card doesn't waive?
Only if you meet the spending requirement.
Old Jan 5, 2014, 9:10 pm

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Avis Pres, Marriott Plat
Other benefits you would lose by switching to the Club card are the Avis Presidents' Club (which has actually worked very very well for me.) as well as the trip cancellation, of course the FEQM and the PQD waiver.

I'm glad I never made the switch, and I'm not likely to anytime soon.
Old Jan 6, 2014, 1:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Two significant benefits of this card:

*primary* rental car collision/damage coverage

Trip interruption coverage - meaning, no more standing in line begging a disinterested UA CSA for a hotel or meal voucher. Just rebook your flights, then call the trip coverage line to initiate coverage and book your own hotel and food up to $300 per person.

correction: it's now $500 per ticket, not $300

Last edited by bocastephen; Jan 7, 2014 at 2:04 pm
Old Jan 6, 2014, 2:32 pm
RNE

Originally Posted by bocastephen
Two significant benefits of this card:

*primary* rental car collision/damage coverage

Trip interruption coverage - meaning, no more standing in line begging a disinterested UA CSA for a hotel or meal voucher. Just rebook your flights, then call the trip coverage line to initiate coverage and book your own hotel and food up to $300 per person.
Trips of less than 5 days do not get full coverage.
Old Jan 6, 2014, 3:02 pm

Originally Posted by RNE
O_o.....
Old Jan 7, 2014, 9:21 am

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by RNE
Can you point out the documentation where this restriction is noted?
Old Jan 7, 2014, 1:19 pm

Programs: Ikon Pass Full + AS Gold + Marriott Titanium + Hilton Gold. Recovering UA Plat. LT lounge AA+DL+UA
Originally Posted by RNE
"Extraordinary claims deserve extraordinary evidence" -Carl Sagan
Old Jan 7, 2014, 3:15 pm
RNE

Can you point out the documentation where this restriction is noted?
Call the phone number on the back of your Presidential Plus card and ask for yourself. If you don't have a Presidential Plus card then mind your own business.
Old Jan 7, 2014, 4:13 pm

Originally Posted by RNE
Call the phone number on the back of your Presidential Plus card and ask for yourself.
The correct number to call is the benefits administrator, not card services - and the benefits administrator confirmed there is no minimum trip length for the trip delay coverage - although this program is only for round-trip tickets, not one-way. This coverage is for any unseen delay that creates a 12hr or overnight delay.

One-way tickets are covered under the trip cancellation coverage, but limited to weather delays, illness, or tour operator insolvency - airline operation delays are not covered.
If you don't have a Presidential Plus card then mind your own business.
is that really necessary?
Old Jan 7, 2014, 5:19 pm
RNE

is that really necessary?
C'mon. You saw the wily face, my friend.

I didn't say nothing was covered for trips of less than five days; I said coverage is limited and I'm correct. In particular health coverage is limited. But there are other benefits lacking for short trips. All of you should thank me for making you aware that trip length affects coverage, not nitpicking or pillorying me.

RNE, you hurt my feelings. Not!
Old Jan 7, 2014, 5:42 pm

Originally Posted by RNE
C'mon. You saw the wily face, my friend.

I didn't say nothing was covered for trips of less than five days; I said coverage is limited and I'm correct. In particular health coverage is limited. But there are other benefits lacking for short trips. All of you should thank me for making you aware that trip length affects coverage, not nitpicking or pillorying me.

RNE, you hurt my feelings. Not!
I didn't go through every card benefit with them - just the trip delay, which along with the damage waiver for rental cars, is probably the most important card benefit that can't be found elsewhere. Trip delay is basically a get-out-of-jail free card for UA customers who misconnect on round trip tickets or suffer delays on the return - instead of hassling UA for hotel or meals, you have $500 per ticket (that's a lot of money for a family traveling together) to cover your personal hotel choice, restaurant choice and the ability to buy necessities.

I will point out the rental car coverage DOES cover cars when there is a coupon on the contract (most phone agents get this wrong) - it only does not cover a contract where a free day was used to pay the entire cost and only taxes or airport fees are charged to the card.
Old Jan 7, 2014, 5:48 pm
RNE

All well and good. Still, my caution about short trips stands. Chase doesn't make this limitation well known but it's there.

RNE, keeping everyone informed. You're welcome.
Old Jan 7, 2014, 6:01 pm

The correct number to call is the benefits administrator, not card services - and the benefits administrator confirmed there is no minimum trip length for the trip delay coverage - although this program is only for round-trip tickets, not one-way. This coverage is for any unseen delay that creates a 12hr or overnight delay.
I got burned on this as I booked two one-ways (to get the united.com credit). My return home, I was rerouted to BOS (due to WX) and spent the night there before coming home to NYC. Tried to claim and they informed me of the coverage.

I just looked at my benefit guide that came with the card and it didn't mention it in there ... arg.
Old Jan 7, 2014, 6:12 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by RNE
... I didn't say nothing was covered for trips of less than five days; I said coverage is limited and I'm correct. In particular health coverage is limited. But there are other benefits lacking for short trips. ....
Originally Posted by RNE
All well and good. Still, my caution about short trips stands. Chase doesn't make this limitation well known but it's there.

RNE, keeping everyone informed. You're welcome.
perhaps you could illuminate the rest of us on those "other benefit" limitations -- not terrible useful to state there are limitations without following up with what the limitations are (or at least the ones you are aware). FT is for information exchanges, not teases, as your closing suggests.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.