Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

"Questions About Complimentary Premier Upgrades (CPU) on UA" Thread [ARCHIVE])

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 6, 2013, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Guide to CPUs

In order for you to receive a CPU, four conditions have to be met at the same moment in time:

(NB: The following does not apply to GS members, whose CPUs process at least somewhat differently, out of the PN bucket.)

1. The flight must be within the relevant CPU window:
  • GS: 120 hours
  • 1K: 96 hours
  • Plat: 72 hours
  • Gold: 48 hours
  • Silver: 24 hours

If the flight is scheduled to depart after midnight central time, all of these windows open 24 hours early, due to a system glitch.

2. There must be CPU availability. CPUs for non-GS members draw from an invisible bucket that is often (but not always) pegged to roughly one or two less than the R bucket. At the gate, all remaining seats are released.

3. You must be high enough on the relevant upgrade list.

There are two separate upgrade lists, used during the two different upgrade processes described in (4) below. Understand how these lists work is one of the things people struggle with the most.

The Pre-Gate List (a/k/a the "sweeps list" or "EUA list")

This list is used in the pre-gate process described in (4) below. Your presence on the list is indicated by the CPU Requested icon/language on your reservation, but you cannot find out what position you are on this list through any public method. The list is sorted in this manner:
- Displaced first-class passengers (Bought two-segment F ticket, F wasn't available on this segment at time of purchase)

- GS using any method (note GS clear out of PN)

- Uncleared instant upgrades, sorted by fare class* and status (e.g.: Silver in Y, Plat in B, Gold in B, 1K in M)

- Waitlisted instrument/mile upgrades, sorted by status of redeeming account, fare class, and then time of request (e.g.: person in N upgrading using 1K's miles, Plat in S using own RPU applied on Tuesday, person in S using a Plat's RPU applied on Friday)**

- CPUs, sorted by status, fare class, and time of purchase (e.g.: 1K in E, 1K in N, Plat in E, Plat in X***, Gold in G purchased in November, Gold in G purchased in December)

*The coach fare classes, in the order that is relevant to this whole discussion, are: Y, B, M, E, U, H, Q, V, W, S, T, L, K, G, N, YN/HN/XN/X

**Note: The upgrades above CPU can clear using R space, CPU appears to be a subset, so R space alone is not sufficent for CPU clearing.

***CPUs are only available for mileage tickets for certain credit card holders. It's a complicated issue that is generally beyond the scope of this thread. There is a separate thread for it.
The Gate List (a/k/a the "visible list")

This list controls upgrades at the gate. It is semi-visible to the public on the status page for a flight, but the status page only shows checked in passengers. Even if you appear first on the list, you might actually be fifteenth by the time everyone checks in.

This list is in the same order as the list above, except that the time-related tiebreakers (such as time of purchase) are replaced with sequence number (which is related to time of check-in). Additionally, certain non-revs (airline employees and family traveling for free or at low cost) are put on the gate list, at the end.

4. One of the two upgrade processes must run.

The Pre-Gate Process (a/k/a the "sweeps" or "EUA")

This process runs at certain times in the days leading up to the flight. It typically runs at 24 hour intervals leading up to T-24, at which point it begins to run more often. It is unclear exactly how often it runs, or when it stops running. There are reports of upgrades that seem to have been given by the pre-gate system even once boarding has begun.

The Gate Process

This process is manually accomplished by the GA, typically once if there are empty seats after check-in has closed, and again if there are no-shows in F. In the latter case, the GA may come onto the plane to give the new boarding pass to the passenger.

Sometimes the GA might not run the process, which makes them a Very Bad GA. On very rare occasions, they might fiddle with the process to upgrade their friends, which we call "shenanigans." That makes them a Mega Bad And Very In Trouble GA. Both of these situations should be reported in the relevant FT thread and directly to UA.

CPU FAQ

I'm number one on the upgrade list on the flight status page. Does that mean I'm first in line for the upgrade?

No, unless the check-in window has passed and the flight is under gate control.

There are seats available in F, why have I not been upgraded yet?

That's not how it works. See above.

There is R availability, why haven't I been upgraded yet?

That's not how it works. See above.

Will the time that I check in affect my ability to get an upgrade?

Probably not. It is the third tie-breaker on the gate list only. See above.

Do I need to check in to get an upgrade?

No. Except at the gate. But if you're not checked in by that time, you have bigger problems.

Who are all these people on the standby list and the upgrade list(s)?

Non-revs. See above.

But the website says that the Silver window opens the day of departure, not at T-24!

Ignore that.

But the website says that there is a "transfer" of the lists at T-24!

Ignore that.

But the agent said ____________________________!

Ignore them.

DidItClear

If the DidItClear website is going to be effective, it needs more members and trip upgrade data!

Please visit https://www.diditclear.com/ and include your trip experience with CPU's, RPU's, GPU's and any other means of upgrading available on United.

The better the data, the better the search results and experiential history.
Print Wikipost

"Questions About Complimentary Premier Upgrades (CPU) on UA" Thread [ARCHIVE])

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12, 2018, 4:23 am

Programs: Mileage Plus - Executive Club
Originally Posted by FNZFUND
But that’s a nice way to get to Dallas from Newark! Good to see people planning ahead and not asking for MR ideas in early December.
Haha thanks, and that's just the end of that leg, it all starts in Tel Aviv About to hit Platinum after this, and in October, gonna hit 1K with a mile run to China!
Old Dec 16, 2018, 7:01 pm

Programs: UA 1K, UA .53 MM, Marriott Gold, Nexus, GE, TSA Pre, Hertz PC
CPU Revoked after boarding pass was issued

Interesting series of events this evening. Flying LAX-SFO in seat 8C. In the middle of the boarding process, and after I'm in my seat, a United employee comes on board and hands me a boarding pass for seat 3F. I peaked in the app, and sure enough, my CPU had cleared.

I walked up to 3F but the seat was occupied. I asked the FA for assistance, she looked at both of our boarding passes (both of which said 3F) and then asked me to return to my seat for the time being.

I remained in 8C throughout the boarding process, until another pax boarded, with a boarding pass for 8C. I signaled for the FA, and handed her my boarding pass for 3F. She went up front to check on what was going on, and came back to tell me that my new seat was 8B, and that I had been upgraded on accident. Presumably when they moved me into 3F, 8C became available, which is how the gentleman boarded with a boarding pass for 8C. But when 3F wasn't available, nor was 8C, I'm guessing 8B was what was left?

Anyone experience something like this before? Thoughts on what happened?
Old Dec 16, 2018, 7:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Sounds like the GA probably messed up, although it's pretty confusing how it happened. Best guess is that the real 3F didn't scan his BP and got offloaded?

Either way, you should entitled to GG OVS DOWNGRADE compensation, especially as you lost your original seat in Y.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 7:32 pm

Programs: UA 1K, UA .53 MM, Marriott Gold, Nexus, GE, TSA Pre, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by findark
Sounds like the GA probably messed up, although it's pretty confusing how it happened. Best guess is that the real 3F didn't scan his BP and got offloaded?

Either way, you should entitled to GG OVS DOWNGRADE compensation, especially as you lost your original seat in Y.
Interesting, thanks for the insight. Part of me just assumes that the processes / computer should prevent that, but I really don't know that much about it.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 8:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by LRMErnst
Interesting, thanks for the insight. Part of me just assumes that the processes / computer should prevent that, but I really don't know that much about it.
If the real 3F failed to scan his BP upon boarding, the GA would have canceled his ticket (assuming a no-show) and then upgraded you to 3F, starting all of this. If the BP was paper, or an old digital copy, this would result in both of you having BPs saying 3F.
Old Dec 19, 2018, 3:20 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre ✓
Originally Posted by LRMErnst
Interesting series of events this evening. Flying LAX-SFO in seat 8C. In the middle of the boarding process, and after I'm in my seat, a United employee comes on board and hands me a boarding pass for seat 3F. I peaked in the app, and sure enough, my CPU had cleared.

I walked up to 3F but the seat was occupied. I asked the FA for assistance, she looked at both of our boarding passes (both of which said 3F) and then asked me to return to my seat for the time being.

I remained in 8C throughout the boarding process, until another pax boarded, with a boarding pass for 8C. I signaled for the FA, and handed her my boarding pass for 3F. She went up front to check on what was going on, and came back to tell me that my new seat was 8B, and that I had been upgraded on accident. Presumably when they moved me into 3F, 8C became available, which is how the gentleman boarded with a boarding pass for 8C. But when 3F wasn't available, nor was 8C, I'm guessing 8B was what was left?

Anyone experience something like this before? Thoughts on what happened?
I would have stayed in 8C and told the sby to sit in 8B.. period.
Old Dec 30, 2018, 7:47 am

Programs: SAS Diamond, UA Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by AirMiles2001
.... You could also make a habit of buying more expensive fares to increase your chances.

Realize this is an older post but just wondered how this works? Received my first CPU today for a flight tomorrow and trying to understand it. I changed my flyer loyalty program to United this year (2018) and have earned platinum status which I now understand will be my premier level through 2019 based on my 2018 earnings and since tomorrow is my last flight this calendar year. I have been typically booking business class tickets but tomorrow’s flight, since relatively short and with my husband, we just booked the economy. Now because of reading above statement, I’m wondering if this too has impact on clearing upgrade(?) I certainly understand there are many other factors that are involved/contributing to whether or not a CPU will clear, but never read anything about previous ticket purchases being an impact factor as well(?) Thanks

Happy New Year to all 🎉🍾within this ever so supportive and helpful community!!!
Old Dec 30, 2018, 8:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Shoredreamer
...I certainly understand there are many other factors that are involved/contributing to whether or not a CPU will clear, but never read anything about previous ticket purchases being an impact factor as well(?) Thanks...
They don't. You are misinterpreting the post.

Buying a more expensive fare class may increase your chances for that flight - not others. If one makes a habit of buying more expensive fares on flights 1, 2, and, 3, one increases their chances of upgrades on flights 1, 2, and 3, individually - ie purchase prices of 1 & 2 do not chances on 3.
Old Mar 29, 2019, 10:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Can I remove myself from the CPU list

Is it possible to remove myself from the CPU list? I can't see a way to do it in the app.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Apr 1, 2019 at 12:31 am Reason: Split post
Old Mar 29, 2019, 10:40 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
... Is it possible to remove myself from the CPU list? I can't see a way to do it in the app.
Have to call

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Apr 1, 2019 at 12:27 am Reason: split post
Old Mar 29, 2019, 10:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Is it possible to remove myself from the CPU list? I can't see a way to do it in the app.
Not in the app. You can call to remove your MileagePlus number from the reservation, and then add it back on after check-in asking the agent not to put you on the list. That should work.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Apr 1, 2019 at 12:34 am Reason: split post
Old Mar 30, 2019, 1:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jsloan
Not in the app. You can call to remove your MileagePlus number from the reservation, and then add it back on after check-in asking the agent not to put you on the list. That should work.
Don't I need my MP number on the res to keep my E+ seat selection? I don't want to go to a regular economy seat; I just want to keep my exit row seat.

Is there no way to have my MP number on the reservation without being on the comp upgrade list?
Old Mar 30, 2019, 1:16 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
... Is there no way to have my MP number on the reservation without being on the comp upgrade list?
Yes, as mentioned earlier, just call and asked to be removed / blocked for CPU. The agent may not be familiar with how to do this, so they may need to get help. Also, it will probably block CPU on the other flights.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Apr 1, 2019 at 12:25 am Reason: split post
Old Apr 4, 2019, 12:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

For the purposes of point #2 in the FAQ (2. There must be CPU availability. CPUs for non-GS members draw from an invisible bucket that is often (but not always) pegged to roughly one or two less than the R bucket. At the gate, all remaining seats are released.) is PZ the new R?
Old Apr 4, 2019, 12:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

For the purposes of point #2 in the FAQ (2. There must be CPU availability. CPUs for non-GS members draw from an invisible bucket that is often (but not always) pegged to roughly one or two less than the R bucket. At the gate, all remaining seats are released.) is PZ the new R?
Yes. However, the CPU mechanism seems less and less pegged to anything.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.