Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

"Questions About Complimentary Premier Upgrades (CPU) on UA" Thread [ARCHIVE])

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 6, 2013, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Guide to CPUs

In order for you to receive a CPU, four conditions have to be met at the same moment in time:

(NB: The following does not apply to GS members, whose CPUs process at least somewhat differently, out of the PN bucket.)

1. The flight must be within the relevant CPU window:
  • GS: 120 hours
  • 1K: 96 hours
  • Plat: 72 hours
  • Gold: 48 hours
  • Silver: 24 hours

If the flight is scheduled to depart after midnight central time, all of these windows open 24 hours early, due to a system glitch.

2. There must be CPU availability. CPUs for non-GS members draw from an invisible bucket that is often (but not always) pegged to roughly one or two less than the R bucket. At the gate, all remaining seats are released.

3. You must be high enough on the relevant upgrade list.

There are two separate upgrade lists, used during the two different upgrade processes described in (4) below. Understand how these lists work is one of the things people struggle with the most.

The Pre-Gate List (a/k/a the "sweeps list" or "EUA list")

This list is used in the pre-gate process described in (4) below. Your presence on the list is indicated by the CPU Requested icon/language on your reservation, but you cannot find out what position you are on this list through any public method. The list is sorted in this manner:
- Displaced first-class passengers (Bought two-segment F ticket, F wasn't available on this segment at time of purchase)

- GS using any method (note GS clear out of PN)

- Uncleared instant upgrades, sorted by fare class* and status (e.g.: Silver in Y, Plat in B, Gold in B, 1K in M)

- Waitlisted instrument/mile upgrades, sorted by status of redeeming account, fare class, and then time of request (e.g.: person in N upgrading using 1K's miles, Plat in S using own RPU applied on Tuesday, person in S using a Plat's RPU applied on Friday)**

- CPUs, sorted by status, fare class, and time of purchase (e.g.: 1K in E, 1K in N, Plat in E, Plat in X***, Gold in G purchased in November, Gold in G purchased in December)

*The coach fare classes, in the order that is relevant to this whole discussion, are: Y, B, M, E, U, H, Q, V, W, S, T, L, K, G, N, YN/HN/XN/X

**Note: The upgrades above CPU can clear using R space, CPU appears to be a subset, so R space alone is not sufficent for CPU clearing.

***CPUs are only available for mileage tickets for certain credit card holders. It's a complicated issue that is generally beyond the scope of this thread. There is a separate thread for it.
The Gate List (a/k/a the "visible list")

This list controls upgrades at the gate. It is semi-visible to the public on the status page for a flight, but the status page only shows checked in passengers. Even if you appear first on the list, you might actually be fifteenth by the time everyone checks in.

This list is in the same order as the list above, except that the time-related tiebreakers (such as time of purchase) are replaced with sequence number (which is related to time of check-in). Additionally, certain non-revs (airline employees and family traveling for free or at low cost) are put on the gate list, at the end.

4. One of the two upgrade processes must run.

The Pre-Gate Process (a/k/a the "sweeps" or "EUA")

This process runs at certain times in the days leading up to the flight. It typically runs at 24 hour intervals leading up to T-24, at which point it begins to run more often. It is unclear exactly how often it runs, or when it stops running. There are reports of upgrades that seem to have been given by the pre-gate system even once boarding has begun.

The Gate Process

This process is manually accomplished by the GA, typically once if there are empty seats after check-in has closed, and again if there are no-shows in F. In the latter case, the GA may come onto the plane to give the new boarding pass to the passenger.

Sometimes the GA might not run the process, which makes them a Very Bad GA. On very rare occasions, they might fiddle with the process to upgrade their friends, which we call "shenanigans." That makes them a Mega Bad And Very In Trouble GA. Both of these situations should be reported in the relevant FT thread and directly to UA.

CPU FAQ

I'm number one on the upgrade list on the flight status page. Does that mean I'm first in line for the upgrade?

No, unless the check-in window has passed and the flight is under gate control.

There are seats available in F, why have I not been upgraded yet?

That's not how it works. See above.

There is R availability, why haven't I been upgraded yet?

That's not how it works. See above.

Will the time that I check in affect my ability to get an upgrade?

Probably not. It is the third tie-breaker on the gate list only. See above.

Do I need to check in to get an upgrade?

No. Except at the gate. But if you're not checked in by that time, you have bigger problems.

Who are all these people on the standby list and the upgrade list(s)?

Non-revs. See above.

But the website says that the Silver window opens the day of departure, not at T-24!

Ignore that.

But the website says that there is a "transfer" of the lists at T-24!

Ignore that.

But the agent said ____________________________!

Ignore them.

DidItClear

If the DidItClear website is going to be effective, it needs more members and trip upgrade data!

Please visit https://www.diditclear.com/ and include your trip experience with CPU's, RPU's, GPU's and any other means of upgrading available on United.

The better the data, the better the search results and experiential history.
Print Wikipost

"Questions About Complimentary Premier Upgrades (CPU) on UA" Thread [ARCHIVE])

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11, 2015, 12:47 pm

Programs: UA Plat, 2MM
No clearance for me. One more change Jeff has given us.
Old Apr 11, 2015, 12:51 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
I think the last time I cleared a CPU was in 2013...as Silver...flying from ANC-SEA...I've pretty much come to accept that I need to learn to love E+. My most-traveled route (NYC to either LAX or SFO) never get CPUs cleared.
Old Apr 11, 2015, 1:41 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott P, SPG G
Originally Posted by transportprof
It also depends where you're flying, not just when
Is there a worse situation than being based in the SF Bay?
Old Apr 11, 2015, 1:48 pm

Programs: UA 1k, US Airways Silver, SPG PLT, Marriot Gold, Hertz PC
I'm about 25% on Thursday nights from LAX->IAH and SFO->IAH.

I'd think these would be generally elite heavy routes. It's always very close, though.
Old Apr 11, 2015, 1:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by teeceedee
I'm about 25% on Thursday nights from LAX->IAH and SFO->IAH.

I'd think these would be generally elite heavy routes. It's always very close, though.
If you posted the fares class (Y, B, V Etc.) it would be a much clearer picture of your success/failure.
Old Apr 11, 2015, 1:58 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by cyanchan15
Is there a worse situation than being based in the SF Bay?
Yes! Being SFO based and only taking non-stop flights would be worse than being SFO based and taking multi-leg itineraries. At least this would be worse from a CPU perspective. Perhaps not from an OT arrivals perspective.
Old Apr 11, 2015, 2:02 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Plat
I recently got a CPU on the redeye SFO-BWI, as UA Gold, W fare. I was utterly shocked.
Old Apr 11, 2015, 7:00 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium.;UA 1.5MM; UA Lifetime Gold (whoppee); DL Plat
Let's see....I'm 20/21 on AA this year. Glad I moved!
Old Apr 11, 2015, 9:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by cyanchan15
...This year to date, I have been either 1) stuck in Y+ aisle and drinking water or 2) shelling out cash for P or Z fares.

Am I missing something?
Perhaps you are missing that they serve other beverages besides water in Y? Just sayin...
Old Apr 11, 2015, 11:13 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott P, SPG G
Originally Posted by emcampbe
Perhaps you are missing that they serve other beverages besides water in Y? Just sayin...
Lol of course
Old Apr 12, 2015, 7:20 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Originally Posted by mduell
In a lot of CPU markets they're selling F for a tiny premium, and in even more markets they're selling TODs. My non-elite coworkers are quite enjoying buying F for less than E+.

Much of my UA travel this year has been on tiny premium UPDI fares or award tickets. I think I've only cleared 1 CPU YTD, a Tuesday afternoon.
Definitely true - I bought up to first class on my SEA-EWR flight in mid-June at time of purchase because it cost all of $140...was surprised to see a transcon F upgrade fare so low. Might as well get a guaranteed F seat instead of hoping for a CPU, and using miles to upgrade makes no sense given the price to purchase the upgrade outright.
Old Apr 12, 2015, 12:27 pm

Programs: UA 1K, 1.1MM
I flew IAH-MCO, Saturday Morning. I got CPUed 24 hours before. So it's really when and where you are flying.

There were 24 seats in biz class. Why so many on IAH-MCO?
Old Apr 16, 2015, 1:43 pm

Programs: UA Gold MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott Plat LT, HH Gold, IHG Plat, WoH Discvst, Hertz PC
After several years as Gold (or equivalent), ms. jmd001 made Platinum for this year. Year to date, her CPU success rate is almost negative. For example, on an ORD-SFO flight today on a 737-800 she is about #40 on the upgrade list.

Granted the flight is hub-to-hub and her fare bucket is "L", but is being that far down the upgrade list common for a Platinum in today's environment?
Old Apr 16, 2015, 2:23 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by jmd001
After several years as Gold (or equivalent), ms. jmd001 made Platinum for this year. Year to date, her CPU success rate is almost negative. For example, on an ORD-SFO flight today on a 737-800 she is about #40 on the upgrade list.

Granted the flight is hub-to-hub and her fare bucket is "L", but is being that far down the upgrade list common for a Platinum in today's environment?
As you pointed out - flight is hub-to-hub, plus possibility of a lot of 1k and GS's returning back to SFO. As her fare bucket is L, it would be OK to assume other are higher buckets over her - business travelers. It sucks, but is the sad reality today.
Old Apr 17, 2015, 6:29 pm

Programs: UA 1k,Marriott LT PLT, Hilton Diamond /HYATT Plat, Hertz Pres, National Exec
Sorry to see other 1k's also having not much luck.

I am also flying mostly

DEN-SFO rt's

Down to 34% CPU success. I am buying cheaper tickets so I get it but being offered FC on mobile app past two weeks for 1779 and 1759 is a joke. I even tried using an RPU for a flight 3 weeks out and 7 of 12 seats available and was only wait listed. This is getting beyond ridiculous.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.