Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Random seat changes to UA itineraries after they are booked & purchased [ARCHIVE]

Random seat changes to UA itineraries after they are booked & purchased [ARCHIVE]

Old Oct 18, 2018, 1:09 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by yyz-kin
Hopefully no different than my reaction to being moved.
If I had nothing to do with your initial unplanned seat move, and you had my seat moved to accommodate your needs, I would be beyond furious if the GA moved me without asking - make no mistake, I would be seated in my original seat in this case, and your seat loss is not really my concern. While I sympathize with the situation, and I have been a victim a number of times over the years, I would not expect a cabin of people to be reshuffled for my personal needs. Unless it's a FAM, which is very easy to figure out once onboard, and some rather brazen FTers have actually booted the FAM out by telling them they are in their seat and need to move, there is no other customer who should have the right to move another customer from their assigned seat, and this most definitely includes Global Service members no matter how long or loudly they cry and whine to customer service demanding their favorite seat. The easiest answer here would be to move that or those passengers who took your seats to the new seats you were assigned, and then move you back to your original seats so no one else would be affected by whatever happened.

So, while the LAX agents handled the issue to your satisfaction, it does not sound like they did so for anyone else affected by this issue. YYZ agents are contractors and generally useless for anything that isn't black/white they can run from a script.
Old Oct 18, 2018, 10:31 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by yyz-kin
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Unilateral moves are wrong and would have gotten a strong reaction from me if so affected.
Hopefully no different than my reaction to being moved.
Two wrongs don't make a right.

The agents should have consulted the other passengers and requested a voluntary change -- perhaps sweetening the pot with some miles.

Not saying UA should not have addressed your issue, but doing it unilaterally was wrong.
Old Nov 16, 2018, 3:41 pm

Programs: UA/WN/Marriott/SPG/Avis/Hertz
Seat change due to aircraft swap of the same model

I'm going from ORD to HKG on the old UA 3-cabin 777. I was originally in 1C (read: bulkhead.) Just got a text saying that I had a new seat due to an aircraft swap. I logged into the website and noticed it was indeed the same old 3-cabin 777, however I was moved back a row from the bulkhead to the second row (2K.) Note that I upgraded using a GPU.

Has this happened to anyone else? Would UA put a paying GS in the bulkhead seat I had? Just curious...
Old Nov 16, 2018, 3:53 pm

This route gets Polarised regularly. When is the flight?
Old Nov 16, 2018, 3:58 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by upgNomad
I'm going from ORD to HKG on the old UA 3-cabin 777. I was originally in 1C (read: bulkhead.) Just got a text saying that I had a new seat due to an aircraft swap. I logged into the website and noticed it was indeed the same old 3-cabin 777, however I was moved back a row from the bulkhead to the second row (2K.) Note that I upgraded using a GPU.

Has this happened to anyone else?
Sometimes there is a swap and then very quickly a swap back --- you can look at the flight history in flightaware or flightstats to see this

Would UA put a paying GS in the bulkhead seat I had? Just curious...
very, very unlikely this was the original cause
FAM is far more likely -- especially a bulkhead
Old Nov 16, 2018, 4:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Has this happened to anyone else? Would UA put a paying GS in the bulkhead seat I had? Just curious...
Nothing nefarious. Just lack of attention to how the computer reassigns seats when swapping aircraft.

It's likely either something happened with your original 3-class 777 and they had to sub the same, or they may have double-swapped before you had a chance to look. (Usually the latter gets you two text messages.)
Old Nov 17, 2018, 7:21 am

Programs: UA/WN/Marriott/SPG/Avis/Hertz
Originally Posted by ual744777sta
This route gets Polarised regularly. When is the flight?
It's tomorrow, I don't think anything from ORD is getting Polarised in the near future (only coastal hubs I believe.)
Old Nov 17, 2018, 7:37 am

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
It's tomorrow, I don't think anything from ORD is getting Polarised in the near future (only coastal hubs I believe.)
I don't know about that. Polarized planes have gone from ORD to PVG, MUC and FRA at least. Those are the ones that I know about.
Old Nov 17, 2018, 3:59 pm

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
I was on a retrofitted 772 HKG-ORD for UA896 last Monday. Since I'm flying that route again soon I've been watching -- and it was a Polarisized bird twice since. Today it's a three cabin.
Old Nov 17, 2018, 4:08 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by wxguy
I was on a retrofitted 772 HKG-ORD for UA896 last Monday. Since I'm flying that route again soon I've been watching -- and it was a Polarisized bird twice since. Today it's a three cabin.
Did you see any trend about day of the week? I'm flying UA896 HKG-ORD on a Monday in early December. I'm hoping for no Polarization as I managed to get a seat in the former First Class. My wife is hoping for Polarization as she also managed to get a seat in the former First Class due to the glitch on the first day that allowed Platinums to do it. And she knows she's going to get booted out now that there are no good seats left in the Business area. The sad part is that she paid 3 times more than I did for that segment as she's on a P fare and I'm on a W fare upgraded with miles and copay.
Old Nov 17, 2018, 6:47 pm

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
Originally Posted by StuckinITH
Did you see any trend about day of the week? I'm flying UA896 HKG-ORD on a Monday in early December. I'm hoping for no Polarization as I managed to get a seat in the former First Class. My wife is hoping for Polarization as she also managed to get a seat in the former First Class due to the glitch on the first day that allowed Platinums to do it. And she knows she's going to get booted out now that there are no good seats left in the Business area. The sad part is that she paid 3 times more than I did for that segment as she's on a P fare and I'm on a W fare upgraded with miles and copay.
I don't think there's any trend. The birds may have "fixed" rotations, but they change frequently due to IRROPS, maintenance, etc. My guess is the probability is the number of reconfigured birds divided by the total number of birds at that point in time. Keep checking the app for "where is this plane coming from" as far in advance as you can for the best indication.
Old Nov 18, 2018, 5:31 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Hyatt Platinum,Marriott Silver,Hilton Honors Gold
This thread is so long don't know if this has been mentioned before but is the "60 hour point" prior to a flight when United pulls most of its {changes with} seats ? As a travel agent who books more air travel than ever I have long noticed at this 60 hour point United opens up a number of "additional" seats for pre-assignment at that time but now this long standing issue of people's seats being taken away from them might very well occur at that time as well. Anyone who can shed light on my "hypothesis" their thoughts/comments would be appreciated.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Nov 18, 2018 at 1:22 pm Reason: Using symbols, spaces or other methods to mask vulgarities is not allowed.
Old Nov 18, 2018, 1:20 pm

Originally Posted by worldspan
.... the "60 hour point" ....
This is roughly when UA firms up the likely (specific) aircraft to be used for a flight. Of course there can be close in issues that cause the specific aircraft to be changed but prior to this point aircraft assignments are open.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 2:07 pm

How common are these chances weeks out before departure? On a trip at the end of the year, I’ve had one seat assignment change on both the outbound and return.

One of them was in the second row in J - from an aisle in the middle to an aisle on the starboard side. The other is in Y, from a bulkhead seat to one row back, aisle.

The latter may have been an FAM from what I’ve read, but do they get assigned weeks out? And not sure what to make of the change in J. In both cases, didn’t get any notification about an aircraft swap or anything like that. Aircraft type has been the same - pmUA 3-class 772.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 5:10 pm

Originally Posted by windhund
How common are these chances weeks out before departure?
The latter may have been an FAM from what I’ve read, but do they get assigned weeks out? ...
Generally FAM claused changes will be closer to departure.
Originally Posted by windhund
In both cases, didn’t get any notification about an aircraft swap or anything like that. Aircraft type has been the same - pmUA 3-class 772.
you need to watch this one closely -- the 3-class 772's are being phased out and day of travel you may have a 3-class 772 or a 2-class 772 with the new Polaris seat.

Interim 772 seat map with Polaris & potentially Premium Economy (2018)
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...le-1k-gss.html

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.