Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Random seat changes to UA itineraries after they are booked & purchased [ARCHIVE]

Random seat changes to UA itineraries after they are booked & purchased [ARCHIVE]

Old Mar 20, 2018, 7:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by anc-ord772
I ended up sitting next to a FAM.
In 1L? I'd think the FAM would go in 1B, not 1K.
Old Mar 20, 2018, 8:08 pm

Programs: UA MM | BA Silver
Originally Posted by Kacee
In 1L? I'd think the FAM would go in 1B, not 1K.
My original post was unclear. I ended up where I started. Possible FAM in 4B
Old Mar 22, 2018, 6:22 am

Programs: UA, 1K
Was I "FAM-ed"? Just lost my nice 1D seat (48h prior to departure) on a 2 class 763 (international leg). Got a text message from United stating that "you have a new seat due to aircraft swap", but the aircraft did not change (same # as the one that has been showing in flight status for the past 3 days). Is this likely a FAM or should I call and try to get my seat back (unlikely, since the cabin is completely full now)?

Safe travels
Old Mar 22, 2018, 8:35 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by uyflyer
Was I "FAM-ed"? Just lost my nice 1D seat (48h prior to departure) on a 2 class 763 (international leg). Got a text message from United stating that "you have a new seat due to aircraft swap", but the aircraft did not change (same # as the one that has been showing in flight status for the past 3 days). Is this likely a FAM or should I call and try to get my seat back (unlikely, since the cabin is completely full now)?

Safe travels
763 Single seat in the middle row + seat changed within 72/48 hours of departure + no aircraft swap = FAM to me
Old Mar 22, 2018, 12:49 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by uyflyer
.... Is this likely a FAM or should I call and try to get my seat back (unlikely, since the cabin is completely full now)? ....
While a decent chance it is FAM'ed,
FAM or not. it is very unlikely you will get your seat back if it is presently occupied.
Old Mar 22, 2018, 1:01 pm

Programs: UA MM 1K, AA MM Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
While a decent chance it is FAM'ed,
FAM or not. it is very unlikely you will get your seat back if it is presently occupied.
UA blocks a seat for crew rest. I wonder why they don't block the last middle seat on a 76x for a FAM, assuming their flights are selected last minute. Then if the FAM insists on 1D, at least the bumped passenger still gets a middle single seat.

If the goal of a FAM is not to call attention to him/herself, then bumping an existing (and possibly travel-savvy) passenger out of one of the most desirable seats on that flight seems counter-productive.
Old Mar 24, 2018, 9:27 pm

Seat swap with no notice

I went to check in for a flight a couple days ago, and saw that our seats for our flight got changed from when I'd made a reservation I'd made a couple weeks back. Instead of sitting in 30-something B & C, we were now in two B seats three rows apart. I called UA reservations, and could not get an explanation beyond that there might have been an equipment swap, and she noticed that I was a UA employee. Is this a normal thing, or does anyone think that maybe I was a sacrificial lamb because I've put in 31 years as a UA employee?

It was better than a cockpit jumpseat, but not by much.

FAB
Old Mar 24, 2018, 9:32 pm

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by freshairborne
Is this a normal thing
For many years: Random seat changes to UA itineraries after having an assigned seat [Consolidated]

Are you kidding? I used to love the jumpseat, back in the day when they allowed it.
Old Mar 24, 2018, 10:12 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Is this a normal thing, or does anyone think that maybe I was a sacrificial lamb because I've put in 31 years as a UA employee?
This can happen to anyone, up to and including GS.
Old Mar 25, 2018, 10:03 am

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
I went to check in for a flight a couple days ago, and saw that our seats for our flight got changed from when I'd made a reservation I'd made a couple weeks back. Instead of sitting in 30-something B & C, we were now in two B seats three rows apart. I called UA reservations, and could not get an explanation beyond that there might have been an equipment swap, and she noticed that I was a UA employee. Is this a normal thing, or does anyone think that maybe I was a sacrificial lamb because I've put in 31 years as a UA employee?

FAB
Congratulations and welcome to our club!
Old Mar 25, 2018, 6:53 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie

FAB
I'm wondering if where she noticed that you were a UA employee, that perhaps "the system" thought you were non-revving and that's why you got moved to middle seats? (and as evident by this thread, anything is possible [and not surprising ] )
Old Mar 25, 2018, 8:43 pm

Originally Posted by goalie
I'm wondering if where she noticed that you were a UA employee, that perhaps "the system" thought you were non-revving and that's why you got moved to middle seats? (and as evident by this thread, anything is possible [and not surprising ] )
I guess that’s possible, and if so, it kind of irks me that I would get screwed with more than usual because I’m an employee. I’m glad the software that runs the fly by wire stuff in the Airbus is more reliable than the stuff they do reservations with.

FAB
Old Mar 25, 2018, 9:15 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by goalie
I guess that’s possible, and if so, it kind of irks me that I would get screwed with more than usual because I’m an employee. I’m glad the software that runs the fly by wire stuff in the Airbus is more reliable than the stuff they do reservations with.

FAB
I would be very surprised you were picked out as an employee -- as this thread shows it regularity happens to all paying customers. The thread archove holds another 1,200+ posts. Multiple cases reported weekly and that is just a small portion of the actually cases.
Plane swaps, with many having multiple variations, such as 4 for 738, 3 for 739, ... can spread folks out, especially if on separate PNRs (but even common PNRs).
Old Mar 25, 2018, 10:10 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
I would be very surprised you were picked out as an employee -- as this thread shows it regularity happens to all paying customers. The thread archove holds another 1,200+ posts. Multiple cases reported weekly and that is just a small portion of the actually cases.
Plane swaps, with many having multiple variations, such as 4 for 738, 3 for 739, ... can spread folks out, especially if on separate PNRs (but even common PNRs).
I know I was at least identified as an employee by the res agent, so it’s not a stretch to say I’m easily identifiable as such throughout the system. The question I have is would that have any bearing on getting my seats moved. I think the answer is no, but I was a bit surprised that the res agent would even mention it.

Anyway, we got where we wanted to get, so I guess I should just shut up and color😜
Common PNR, BTW.

FAB
Old Mar 27, 2018, 8:59 am

Programs: Marriott Gold, Delta Silver, United Silver, National Executive
Have had this happen to be daily since I booked a ticket last Saturday. Called United and was given the canned answer of change of schedule or change of equipment (neither of which was true). I've decided this is their way to drive up traffic to their website...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.