Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Random seat changes to UA itineraries after they are booked & purchased [ARCHIVE]

Random seat changes to UA itineraries after they are booked & purchased [ARCHIVE]

Old Sep 16, 2017, 9:13 am

I called and they said it was a schedule change. One that only affected my seat apparently. They moved us to another plane that arrives an hour or so earlier in the day into ORD. I think I got bumped for someone with status or who didn't pay with points but who knows. We got another flight so crisis averted.
Old Sep 16, 2017, 9:49 am

Programs: UA Premier Gold
Originally Posted by AtlLhr
I called and they said it was a schedule change. One that only affected my seat apparently. They moved us to another plane that arrives an hour or so earlier in the day into ORD. I think I got bumped for someone with status or who didn't pay with points but who knows. We got another flight so crisis averted.
More time at the Polaris lounge?
Old Sep 16, 2017, 9:58 am
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by smxflyer
My first thought @:-)

OTOH, on my one and only visit I could not find a seat until a bank of flights took off and pax left the lounge
Old Sep 16, 2017, 9:59 am

Originally Posted by smxflyer
Yes! This is a good thing in my eyes because we will get there before the rush(hopefully) and get to really enjoy it. Flight gets in at 12:30 and we leave for LHR at 6:20.

Last edited by AtlLhr; Sep 16, 2017 at 10:00 am Reason: More info
Old Sep 16, 2017, 10:17 am

Do they schedule FAM's that early? That's what it sounds like to me
Old Sep 16, 2017, 12:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by LIH
In the instance of an aircraft swap (which it doesn't sound like, presuming your husband and you were sitting next to each other) you can be more out of luck/subject to generally paltry downgrade compensation.
IMO, compensation under GG OVS DOWNGRADE is pretty reasonable.

Originally Posted by flyerbaby19
Yes. Any time you lose a Row 2 aisle on a domestic narrowbody and an agent can't seem to form a reason, it's probably a FAM. Yet another reason why window seats are better
Old Sep 16, 2017, 12:56 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by findark
Originally Posted by flyerbaby19
IMO, compensation under GG OVS DOWNGRADE is pretty reasonable.

Yes. Any time you lose a Row 2 aisle on a domestic narrowbody and an agent can't seem to form a reason, it's probably a FAM. Yet another reason why window seats are better
Another yes (from personal experiences with one even being at T-24hrs) and I'll add Row 3 Aisle as well as they like to sit "kiddy/caddy corner" to each other
Old Oct 12, 2017, 7:17 am
prh

Programs: AA Platinum Plus; One World Emerald
Screwed up seat assignments

My wife and I booked IAD-HNL nonstop in first last winter, departing this Saturday. Two weeks ago, they changed equipment -- apparently to a 777 with Polaris seats, so we weren't upset that we were now in the back of first class in the middle instead of in the front with window seats. Today -- two days before departure -- I checked the flight again and they changed equipment again. Now my wife and I are on opposite sides of the plane. Worse yet, our travel companion who also booked last winter no longer has a seat assignment at all.

Also right now, flight status is showing a 777-400 with Polaris seats, but reservations is showing a 777-300.

Is this anyway to run an airline? You may treat the question as rhetorical.
Old Oct 12, 2017, 7:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
I’m not clear what the grievance is....

There were equipment changes that effect seat assignments. Please suggest the correct way United should handle.
Old Oct 12, 2017, 7:49 am

Programs: AA/UA/DL
Originally Posted by prh

Also right now, flight status is showing a 777-400 with Polaris seats, but reservations is showing a 777-300.

Is this anyway to run an airline? You may treat the question as rhetorical.

What is 777-400?
Old Oct 12, 2017, 7:53 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by zrs70
Im not clear what the grievance is....

There were equipment changes that effect seat assignments. Please suggest the correct way United should handle.
Well, the best way would not be to do a double swap of equipment that results in seat assignments for the original equipment getting shuffled.

Sounds like a CF, where United moved to a bigger plane, sold the additional J seats, and then shifted back to the smaller 767-400 that usually plies this route.
Old Oct 12, 2017, 8:01 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by drewguy
Well, the best way would not be to do a double swap of equipment that results in seat assignments for the original equipment getting shuffled.

Sounds like a CF, where United moved to a bigger plane, sold the additional J seats, and then shifted back to the smaller 767-400 that usually plies this route.
Doesn't answer the question. What is it you propose that UA do given the current aircraft assignment?

If you've got a specific reroute, e.g. LAX/SFO, in plain vanilla F why not call UA and propose that? I suspect that UA can sell your Polaris seats at a nice premium, so I wouldn't worry about getting the reroute approved.
Old Oct 12, 2017, 8:01 am
Used to be MBS PremExec

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Marriott Titanium w/Lifetime Plat, Hilton LIfetime ♢, National Exec, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by zrs70
Im not clear what the grievance is....

Here's a correct way...Maybe my assumption is wrong, but I'm guessing the OP and their companion are on the same reservation. How about United manually addresses MAJOR equipment changes or 10-hour flights? Wouldn't take TOO MUCH to see that the OP and their companion are traveling together, and with a plethora of seat pairs on the 764, stick them together instead of each with a random person in various rows.

I don't know the OP, but I'd assume that this is probably a big trip for them...Probably a not-so-often vacation for them, and guessing by them booking it 'last winter' that it is a big deal for them. And I too would have issues with not sitting with my wife/friend/family member on such a long flight.

Since seat assignments are never guaranteed, why not move someone else who isn't guaranteed a seat assignment and put this couple together?

Those are a few ways United can do better.

Originally Posted by pigx5
What is 777-400?
I'm sure a mis-type of a 767-400. Quick check (about as quick as it takes to post) on the UA app shows indeed that Saturday's IAD-HNL is operated by a 767-400.

Sorry...I just miss the old FT days of patience, understanding and much less pedantic posts.
Old Oct 12, 2017, 8:11 am
prh

Programs: AA Platinum Plus; One World Emerald
Posters are correct -- sort of. I messed up on the inbound flight, according to a flight status search, it is a 767-400, coming from Sao Paulo. However, when you go to check reservations, the seating chart where my wife and I are on opposite sides of the plane is listed as a 777-300. One or the other pieces of information is amiss. And, to be clear, we are indeed on the same reservation.

One other note: we are traveling with a friend, who also booked last winter. She just checked and discovered she no longer had ANY seat assignment. After being on hold, she suddenly was able to get a seat assignment -- even though the seating chart showed no available seats.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Oct 12, 2017 at 3:22 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Oct 12, 2017, 8:18 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
OP, there's not much you can do prior to the airport except keep watching for better seats to open up. Then raise the issue at the gate and see if the GA can help you. Failing that, once on board see if passengers are willing to swap seats so you and your wife can sit next to each other. You can ask yourself or enlist an FA to help you.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Oct 12, 2017 at 3:22 pm Reason: Discuss the issues, not the poster

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.