Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Random seat changes to UA itineraries after they are booked & purchased [ARCHIVE]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Random seat changes to UA itineraries after they are booked & purchased [ARCHIVE]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25, 2016, 9:22 am

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by laxmillenial
I haven't heard of this happening to anyone else.

Also, I believe (i could be wrong, other Flyertalk members could confirm or correct this) that seat assignments are assigned, but not guaranteed or 'confirmed' in the sense that you believe they are.
I think the timing is coincidental -- I certainly haven't seen it happen (but I've also never seen indication of TSA Pre any time other than checkin/on the BP even though my KTN is in every PNR, so I'm not sure where the OP was looking or if that could have anything to do with it.

But you are correct, United (and virtually every other airline's contact of carriage makes this clear:

For UA it's Rule 4(D)

D.Seat assignments, regardless of class of service, are not guaranteed and are subject to change without notice. UA reserves the right to reseat a Passenger for any reason, including from an Economy Plus seat for which the applicable fee has been paid (fees range from 9 USD/CAD to 299 USD/CAD per flight segment per person), and if a Passenger is improperly or erroneously upgraded to a different class of service. If a Passenger is removed from an Economy Plus seat for which a fee has been paid, and the Passenger is not re-accommodated in an Economy Plus seat or a seat of equal or greater value, or if a Passenger is downgraded from a class of service and is not re-accommodated in a seat in an equal or greater class of service for which a fee has been paid, the Passenger will be eligible for a refund in accordance with Rule 27. UA also prohibits Passengers from selling their seat assignments at any time and/or exchanging them at the time of boarding without first advising a member of the crew.
Old Nov 1, 2016, 11:27 am

Programs: Free Agent
Unbelievable United Computer Error

Went to check in and United's computer decided to split my wife from me 5 days ago. Moved her 2 rows away. Get this. We are on the same ticket. Even worse, called reservations and a human is not allowed to fix the problem until at the gate. If the gate does not correct United's error it will be the last paid ticket United sees from me. Can not trust the company to fix its errors.
Old Nov 1, 2016, 11:32 am

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
Sadly, it's quite believable, as these 20 pages will attest to:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...15-2016-a.html
Old Nov 1, 2016, 11:49 am
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
Let me integrate this thread with the consolidated one, linked by NoLaGent, in order to keep related discussion together. Ocn Vw 1K, Moderator.
Old Nov 1, 2016, 1:27 pm

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
Originally Posted by Jim055
Get this. We are on the same ticket.
I hope not, only way that is possible is if your wife is a lap child on a domestic itinerary. I'm guessing you're on the same reservation.
Old Nov 11, 2016, 1:07 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HH Diamond, SPG/Marriott Gold, Hyatt Plat, National Exec, GE/Nexus
On my flight tomorrow on a 739 - I had booked seat 7F (high seasonal flight, I didn't have much of a choice despite booking 3 months out). I just noticed after checking in that my seat is now 8A. Row 7 blocked so I was bumped? Currently shows 8B unoccupied; if it leaves like that I'm fine with it. I'm more annoyed that there was no communication that I got moved.

ps. Also I had a good chance at #1 spot for CPU with 1 seat left. Someone just snagged it at TOD - I was offered $739, no thanks, my RT ticket didn't cost that much.
Old Nov 11, 2016, 2:22 pm

Programs: 1 thousand
Originally Posted by miasmal
On my flight tomorrow on a 739 - I had booked seat 7F (high seasonal flight, I didn't have much of a choice despite booking 3 months out). I just noticed after checking in that my seat is now 8A. Row 7 blocked so I was bumped? Currently shows 8B unoccupied; if it leaves like that I'm fine with it. I'm more annoyed that there was no communication that I got moved.

ps. Also I had a good chance at #1 spot for CPU with 1 seat left. Someone just snagged it at TOD - I was offered $739, no thanks, my RT ticket didn't cost that much.
Or someone bought the last F ticket. Or someone in F did a SDC. Or someone in F had irrops.

Unless you were actually watching someone buy a TOD?
Old Nov 18, 2016, 6:19 am

Programs: United, Turkish
Handicap Attendant seat disappears

My wife is handicapped. I am her attendant. We have different last names , BOTH of us are platinum. We had paid first class seats IAD-LAX-HNL for Monday after Thanksgiving. We bought the tickets 4 months ago and made sure United knew it was a handicapped person and an attendant.

I check my reservations daily in the week before a flight. Thursday afternoon all was fine. Checked for other reasons this morning at 3 am and my seat reservation was GONE on the IAD LAX leg. Called right away. Agent spent 15 minutes trying to explain to me that he had no idea why my seat reservation disappeared. called support. Waited on hold. Support had no idea. Said he would try to "work with me". Recall it is Thanksgiving Monday and seats are very hard to find. Finally found two seats together on another and much worse booking. As he is putting that together he gets a note that the seat had been "returned" .

“Eternal vigilance is not only the price of liberty; eternal vigilance is the price of human decency. Aldous Huxley
Old Nov 18, 2016, 6:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 2MM/GS; SPG Lifetime Plat; MHC Lifetime; Tar Heel forever; and I "Dig the Pig" at Piggly Wiggly
If seat has been returned .... all is well. Right?
Old Nov 18, 2016, 6:26 am

Originally Posted by kevinsac
If seat has been returned .... all is well. Right?
In the same sense that catching a car thief at 3 AM just before he drives the car away means all is well.

P.S I also told the agent they did this to me on the flight that takes me over a million miles.

Last edited by morelegroom; Nov 18, 2016 at 6:39 am Reason: ps
Old Nov 18, 2016, 6:38 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
That has all the makings of a FAM, which should have involved, if necessary, moving the two of you to other adjoining F seats and breaking up some other couple if necessary. Unfortunately, you never get the full story because the carrier isn't permitted to say that.

If it took that long to get your seats back, this is because it takes someone fairly senior to have moved you back and rearranged the FAM to another, presumably F aisle seat.

For what it is worth, using terms such as "thief" is not useful as seat assignments are never guaranteed.
Old Nov 18, 2016, 7:02 am

Originally Posted by Often1

For what it is worth, using terms such as "thief" is not useful as seat assignments are never guaranteed.
I was asked if all was "well", so I drew an analogy to disrupting a wrongful act in progress. I certainly did not call UNITED a Thief. If United had moved us both together your point is well taken. But they didn't, so it isn't.
Old Nov 18, 2016, 12:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by Often1
That has all the makings of a FAM, which should have involved, if necessary, moving the two of you to other adjoining F seats and breaking up some other couple if necessary. Unfortunately, you never get the full story because the carrier isn't permitted to say that.

If it took that long to get your seats back, this is because it takes someone fairly senior to have moved you back and rearranged the FAM to another, presumably F aisle seat.
+1. Definitely sounds like a FAM.
Old Nov 22, 2016, 9:35 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Gold (Current Platinum), United Mileage Plus, Avis Preferred
We had issues with our MCO-EWR flight on 11/15. We originally booked UA279 with an 8:30 PM departure (last of the day), but that was canceled, and we were moved UA1980 with a 5:50 departure. Naturally this meant seat issues, but after some aircraft swaps we were set with E- seats in front of the exit row on a 737-900.

Another aircraft swap a few weeks before departure to a 737-900 with a different configuration bumped us again into limbo with no seats. A patient phone call with UA explaining why we needed to sit near our children eventually netted 4 E+ seats free of charge. A happy ending overall, but stressful for a while.
Old Nov 23, 2016, 11:32 am

The did it AGAIN Same flight Same seat disappears.

I have taken to checking my paid first class seat assignment for Monday several times a day.
All was well at Midnight. but at 4AM BINGO my seat assignment vanished again. Again I called and this time UA was absolutely unable to tell me what had happened or do anything about it. They said it was as if the seat itself had disappeared from the record. Yes the record showed that it was stripping the attendant forma disabled person. But because the seat itself had gone from the record they could do nothing.

After much work they got us on an alternate booking Which requires us to stay overnight at the airport for a 6:59 departure.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.