Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Random seat changes to UA itineraries after having an assigned seat [Consolidated]

Old Jan 4, 2015, 2:37 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: sexykitten7
Archive thread - Random seat changes to UA itineraries after they are booked & purchased [ARCHIVE]

Potential causes {draft list -- needs work}
  • Aircraft equipment changes (appears can be an issue even if the new aircraft is the same type)
  • Computer "glitch" -- common explanation, real source unknown
  • Weight & Balance issues
  • Federal Air Marshal {FAM}
  • Seats needed for passenger with medical / disability / .... issues {particularly a bulkhead issue}
  • Pet in cabin {no bulkhead}
  • Accommodating an high elite or VIP {somewhat unlikely, not standard company policy, and more likely to occur in a premium cabin}
  • Accommodating a family group {not very likely and not standard company policy}
Print Wikipost

Random seat changes to UA itineraries after having an assigned seat [Consolidated]

Old Nov 23, 2023, 8:53 am
Moderator, Trip Reports

Programs: UA GS-2MM, Marriott Ambassador
Do you have the UA app? Go in and reassign the seats (if still available). A "note" for the flight attendants is probably not going to help and was simply an agent trying to be helpful. Once you have confirmed seats via the app or website, take a screen shot. I've never experienced the system just randomly unassigning you. Good luck...
Old Nov 23, 2023, 8:56 am

Originally Posted by eightblack
Do you have the UA app? Go in and reassign the seats (if still available). A "note" for the flight attendants is probably not going to help and was simply an agent trying to be helpful. Once you have confirmed seats via the app or website, take a screen shot. I've never experienced the system just randomly unassigning you. Good luck...
unfortunately they were gone as soon as I caught the issue. I selected the next best but theyre not great:/
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Nov 23, 2023, 11:20 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by quoo
I had 9A and 9L on my upcoming EWR-LHR flight on Saturday and sometime between yesterday and today I lost my seat assignments. I selected the best available seats, but of course no odd number window seats are available. The support line made a note for the flight attendants. Is there anything else I can do to get a better seat back? Im pretty frustrated this happened as I booked early to ensure I got a good seat. Support is telling be the system will just randomly unassign you?
Given the seat location, this could be a FAM, which UA is not allowed to tell you. Less likely is a disability re-assignement or a aircraft swap, other reasons. The wiki for the thread has more potential reasons.
SPN Lifer and quoo like this.
Old Dec 4, 2023, 8:00 pm

Programs: UA GS 2MM
The UA Seat Randomizer Strikes Again

Just had a 772 upgauge to a 773 after check in. Lost a good odd-row Polaris window seat and was moved to an even one. Why reshuffle like this on an upgauge? Original seat still existed. This is seriously annoying.
AirbusFan2B likes this.
Old Dec 4, 2023, 8:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
SHARES has been doing this since pre-merger times. Never seen a good explanation why.
Old Dec 4, 2023, 10:27 pm

Programs: UA GS 2MM
And to add to the annoyance, someone on an upgrade is in my original seat (and quite a few other prime seats have upgrades in them. They were all occupied before the upgauge).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.