Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Random seat changes to UA itineraries after having an assigned seat [Consolidated]

Random seat changes to UA itineraries after having an assigned seat [Consolidated]

Hide Wikipost
Old Mar 21, 19, 8:31 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: sexykitten7
Wiki Link
Archive thread - Random seat changes to UA itineraries after they are booked & purchased [ARCHIVE]

Potential causes {draft list -- needs work}
  • Aircraft equipment changes (appears can be an issue even if the new aircraft is the same type)
  • Computer "glitch" -- common explanation, real source unknown
  • Weight & Balance issues
  • Federal Air Marshal {FAM}
  • Seats needed for passenger with medical / disability / .... issues {particularly a bulkhead issue}
  • Pet in cabin {no bulkhead}
  • Accommodating an high elite or VIP {somewhat unlikely, not standard company policy, and more likely to occur in a premium cabin}
  • Accommodating a family group {not very likely and not standard company policy}
Print Wikipost

Old Oct 15, 18, 2:41 pm
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1.8MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
Was there an aircraft change?
Were you on separate PNRs?

Generally on seat assignment changes, there is little that can be done unless a free seat opens up.
You perhaps make a swap on-aircraft. Folks are more receptive if you are requesting to swap a like seat -- aisle, window, ...

While understanding you got displaced, is it right for UA to displace another customer to make it right for you?
Old Oct 15, 18, 2:41 pm

Originally Posted by yyz-kin View Post
flying Polaris and united changed our seating assignment. In YYZ they (United) say thereís nothing they can do and to see the gate agent at LAX.

Anyone know if there is a concierge or someone who can help us? I donít mind a few hours apart but not 17 hours with a stranger beside....
Was there an aircraft swap? Maybe an air marshall was accommodated?

In any case, moving you or your travelling companion means moving someone else who may be equally annoyed at a move. Gate agents have control over seating at some point, and if cabin is full, that point is here.
Old Oct 15, 18, 2:45 pm

Thanks - LAX to SIN...I reckon no swap as the 777 can’t likely make that run easily.

will see what the agent has to say then...
Old Oct 15, 18, 2:46 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AS MVPG 75K, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC
Is this for today? I'm assuming you're on UA37 LAX-SIN, since that's the only 17 hour flight UA has from LAX. If so, it looks like every seat is full, which really doesn't look good for getting the GA to swap anyone in advance. You may have better luck on board asking someone to swap like-for-like.

Were both of you moved? if just one of you got re-seated I'm assuming a FAM, and there's not much you can do about that...
Old Oct 15, 18, 2:51 pm

Programs: UA Gold 1.8MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by pushmyredbutton View Post
if just one of you got re-seated I'm assuming a FAM, and there's not much you can do about that...
especially if an aisle toward the front
Old Oct 15, 18, 10:20 pm

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, Amtrak Guest Rewards
Not to take this off topic, but my father was a CO 777 pilot and he told me that most international flights don’t have. FAMs because they can’t bring wepons into most other countries. I guess the FAM could be unarmed.

Other than what he told me, I have no other evidance on this.
Old Oct 15, 18, 10:35 pm

I know for a fact that you can see the history of a PNR but I have had gate agents saying that they can't look at history in these situations. They can, right?
Old Oct 15, 18, 10:53 pm

Programs: UA Plat, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by username View Post
I know for a fact that you can see the history of a PNR but I have had gate agents saying that they can't look at history in these situations. They can, right?
You already know for a fact they can
Old Oct 15, 18, 11:10 pm

Programs: UA MP 1K, TK Miles&Smiles Elite*G, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Rewards Gold
Was check in with UA or Air Canada? There’s a known issue that attempting to check in via aircanada.com and not completing the process within a single session will result in the removal of seat assignments. Think of it as a check-in and checked-out process. I had this on a previous YVR-LAX-SIN with first leg on AC.
Old Oct 15, 18, 11:42 pm

Originally Posted by username View Post
The history is available but it is not easily accessed
But more importantly, there is nothing going to happen even if the agent looked at the history. Agents are not going to start moving other passengers about to re-accommodate the situation. And some of the reasons for a shuffle an agent is not allowed to disclose -- FAM, medical accommodation, ...
So basically the request is a waste of time.
Old Oct 16, 18, 4:38 am

Programs: UA Plat, 2MM
Swapping seats is not unusual on UA. Over 30 years of flying them and it has happened. Sorry, it is not always a FAM in the seat, no matter what people say. It could be a high elite flyer, non rev, or someone's friend.
IndyHoosier likes this.
Old Oct 16, 18, 6:59 pm

Well, the gate agents went above and beyond and made things right for us. They were fantastic. They got us seated together and all’s well that ends well.

wineCountry - they actually did move people around for us and worked hard at finding the right balance. I was purely skeptical but these ladies were great.

yes, this was AC on the first leg.

Old Oct 16, 18, 7:06 pm

.... .they actually did move people around for us and worked hard at finding the right balance. I was purely skeptical but these ladies were great.
Unilateraly or after consulting with the passenger?
Old Oct 16, 18, 7:21 pm

Programs: UA MP 1K, TK Miles&Smiles Elite*G, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Rewards Gold
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA View Post
The history is available but it is not easily accessed
But more importantly, there is nothing going to happen even if the agent looked at the history. Agents are not going to start moving other passengers about to re-accommodate the situation. And some of the reasons for a shuffle an agent is not allowed to disclose -- FAM, medical accommodation, ...
So basically the request is a waste of time.
Well, the gate agents went above and beyond and made things right for us. They were fantastic. They got us seated together and allís well that ends well.

wineCountry - they actually did move people around for us and worked hard at finding the right balance. I was purely skeptical but these j were great.

yes, this was AC on the first leg.
Glad it worked out for you. Did you attempt AC online check-in? And if yes, do you recall not completing your first session- i.e. keyed in Last Name and PNR into online check-in but did not click through to check-in (maybe didn't have passport info on hand etc.)

I reported the issue in Nov 2017, interested to know if it's still an issue since I've a few ex-YVR trips coming up. Have been actively booking away from AC for first leg, but the SEA connection offers better upgrades.
Old Oct 16, 18, 8:19 pm

Programs: 1K, *G, 1MM
So it has been a while since my (self selected) assigned seat has been changed, but on a three cabin 777-200 my usual choice is 6A as 6B is usually used by the pilot so most of the time 6B is empty. I have a flight in next month where I had selected 6A and it is on my original receipt and I logged back in recently to see my seat had been changed to 6D ( a dreaded middle in the 2-4-2 configuration). Fortunately 6K was available so moved my self there. I was thinking that perhaps they had removed 6A as an option as a seat to select but have a couple of other flights where I was able to select the seat.

6A is unlikely to be for a FAM since it is not an aisle seat and I am coming home from LHR.

I realize I am only a lowly 1K but it is annoying that you select a seat and then they move you to a far worse seat without even telling you they have moved you from your self-selected assigned seat. I appreciate seat selection is not guaranteed and UA can move you but when they do reassign your seat I think it would be fair for them to send you an email/notification that they have done this rather than have a nasty surprise at check-in.

I do babysit my reservation for myself and family and friends for reasons such as these - random seat changes
narvik and findark like this.

Search this Thread