Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Random seat changes to UA itineraries after having an assigned seat [Consolidated]

Random seat changes to UA itineraries after having an assigned seat [Consolidated]

Hide Wikipost
Old Jun 22, 22, 1:31 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: sexykitten7
Wiki Link
Archive thread - Random seat changes to UA itineraries after they are booked & purchased [ARCHIVE]

Potential causes {draft list -- needs work}
  • Aircraft equipment changes (appears can be an issue even if the new aircraft is the same type)
  • Computer "glitch" -- common explanation, real source unknown
  • Weight & Balance issues
  • Federal Air Marshal {FAM}
  • Seats needed for passenger with medical / disability / .... issues {particularly a bulkhead issue}
  • Pet in cabin {no bulkhead}
  • Accommodating an high elite or VIP {somewhat unlikely, not standard company policy, and more likely to occur in a premium cabin}
  • Accommodating a family group {not very likely and not standard company policy}
Print Wikipost

Old Jun 6, 22, 10:11 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA View Post
739 is notorious for this issue. There are 4 different E+ configurations varying from 39-42-45-48 E+ seats Depending on the initial and new config can lead to a load of shuffle and many times there may be multiple changes of configuration before things settle,
Thank you, nice to know it is not just ďme.Ē
Old Jun 22, 22, 8:50 pm

UA changed my seat without notification

I originally booked the ticket from ord to ogg and the four seats were together in row 42. When I accidently checked my itinerary today, UA has changed my seats in row 50 for 2 and row 55 for another 2. and the original seats become preferred seats right now. what should I do right now? Call them and ask to move back without extra charge? did anyone have similar experience? I really hate to be put on hold for an hour to talk with these phone rep.
Old Jun 22, 22, 8:57 pm

Originally Posted by ou5603 View Post
I originally booked the ticket from ord to ogg and the four seats were together in row 42. When I accidently checked my itinerary today, UA has changed my seats in row 50 for 2 and row 55 for another 2. and the original seats become preferred seats right now. what should I do right now? Call them and ask to move back without extra charge? did anyone have similar experience? I really hate to be put on hold for an hour to talk with these phone rep.
Itís been happening to me too. They claim they canít see why seats were changed or who did it (thatís new.) Call and plead your case, and see what they can do. Keep in mind United will act like they owe you nothing.
Old Jun 22, 22, 9:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Seat assignments are never guaranteed. This happens frequently when there is a change of equipment assigned to a particular route. If the original seats are still available, you may be able to convince an agent to give them to back to you at no charge, but there are no promises. All standard economy seats will be made available at no charge when check-in opens.
Old Jun 22, 22, 9:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
You have no recourse - UA has right to move you will as you paid for transportation, not specific seats. When you select seats, you are just indicating a preference, nothing else. Most of the time, UA honors the requested seats. I'm guessing there was an aircraft swap and the preferred seat rows are different, so they moved you to non-preferred seats. This is not unique to UA.

Originally Posted by AirbusFan2B View Post
...Keep in mind United will act like they owe you nothing.
Well, they don't, outside of a polite apology for the disappointment/inconvenience.
SPN Lifer likes this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jun 22, 22 at 9:33 pm Reason: merged consecutive posts by same member
Old Jun 23, 22, 9:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
the original seats become preferred seats right now.
This would strongly suggest that there was a change of aircraft type. You can assign new seats yourself using the website, as you desire.
Old Jun 23, 22, 10:41 am

Thanks everyone for the feedback.

here is an update for those who may have encountered similar situations:

it only took me less than 30 minutes to reach to an agent . She was really nice and helped us to move back together without additional charge even these seats were still designated as preferred seats.
Old Jun 23, 22, 1:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO Platinum 1K, United 1K, SPG LT Platinum, National Executive Elite, Platinum TSA Hater
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH View Post
You have no recourse - UA has right to move you will as you paid for transportation, not specific seats. When you select seats, you are just indicating a preference, nothing else. Most of the time, UA honors the requested seats. I'm guessing there was an aircraft swap and the preferred seat rows are different, so they moved you to non-preferred seats. This is not unique to UA.

Well, they don't, outside of a polite apology for the disappointment/inconvenience.
I strongly disagree. When you select seats, you are not indicating a preference, you are selecting specific seats, and absent an aircraft swap where those seats no longer exist on the new aircraft, or you need to be rebooked due to a cancelation or delay, there is absolutely no reason why someone should be removed from their selected seats - and moving people around without their consent in order to accommodate the demands of other customers, including global services, is completely unacceptable.

Incompetent IT is the root cause of why a simple tail number swap can throw seat assignments into chaos, that should never happen in the first place.
AirbusFan2B likes this.
Old Jun 23, 22, 2:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bocastephen View Post
When you select seats, you are not indicating a preference, you are selecting specific seats
United reserves the right to change your seat assignments for any reason.

and moving people around without their consent in order to accommodate the demands of other customers, including global services, is completely unacceptable.
In that case, I suggest you find an airline that will guarantee your seat assignment. I don't believe any such airlines exist, but I may be mistaken.

I'm not suggesting that it's good customer service to do this. I am suggesting that it is clearly acceptable, in that you have no recourse to refuse to accept being moved.
SPN Lifer and IndyHoosier like this.
Old Jun 23, 22, 9:19 pm
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Incompetent IT is the root cause of why a simple tail number swap can throw seat assignments into chaos, that should never happen in the first place.
This case was not a simple tail swap, it was a change in aircraft type.
And for this thread, it is typically more than just a simple tail swap (such as 4 different seat maps for 739s, four 738s, 2 737s, ... ) but rather a change in seat configuration or an intermediate change in aircraft type.
jsloan, SPN Lifer and IndyHoosier like this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jun 23, 22 at 9:25 pm Reason: more aircraft types

Search this Thread