Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Random seat changes to UA itineraries after having an assigned seat [Consolidated]

Random seat changes to UA itineraries after having an assigned seat [Consolidated]

Hide Wikipost
Old Jun 22, 22, 1:31 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: sexykitten7
Wiki Link
Archive thread - Random seat changes to UA itineraries after they are booked & purchased [ARCHIVE]

Potential causes {draft list -- needs work}
  • Aircraft equipment changes (appears can be an issue even if the new aircraft is the same type)
  • Computer "glitch" -- common explanation, real source unknown
  • Weight & Balance issues
  • Federal Air Marshal {FAM}
  • Seats needed for passenger with medical / disability / .... issues {particularly a bulkhead issue}
  • Pet in cabin {no bulkhead}
  • Accommodating an high elite or VIP {somewhat unlikely, not standard company policy, and more likely to occur in a premium cabin}
  • Accommodating a family group {not very likely and not standard company policy}
Print Wikipost

Old May 27, 21, 7:36 pm

Programs: UA1K, AS Gold 75K, AC 50K, AA Plat, HH Diamond, MR Titanium LT Gold, IHG Platinum, HZ PC, CLEAR
Originally Posted by alim123 View Post
Folks, first world problem, but I am irked.

Booked on a B757 departing tomorrow and I secured 21C (second row exit) at booking. When I checked my reservation last night I still had 21C with 21B vacant. Then as I was ready to checked in this morning. I noticed my seat had been changed to 20C. There was no aircraft change. It was obvious that someone with a higher status than me who is traveling in two called up United and persuaded them to move me because they wanted to sit together in an exit row. I am fine if United had moved me to 21D which is still exit row aisle that can recline. While row 20 is exit row on this plane, it is NOT reclineable. Is there somewhere in the T&C that says they reserve the right to do this? I guess my 1K 2 Million Miler status means jack to them!

Sorry, venting here
Please call the 1K Reservations desk and tell us what they tell you.

If a UA employee did they, they owe you an explanation and, I believe, should fix this in your favor.
Old May 27, 21, 7:47 pm

Originally Posted by Guate87 View Post
Please call the 1K Reservations desk and tell us what they tell you.

If a UA employee did they, they owe you an explanation and, I believe, should fix this in your favor.
I did. They offered to find me a similar seat on another flight since my flight was full. Could not find anything.
Old May 27, 21, 8:02 pm
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
... Please call the 1K Reservations desk ....
Yes, report this. UA seems to handle the underlying causes worst than other carriers and this really needs to be fixed

But to avoid more frustration, kept expectations very low. Because
... they owe you an explanation and, I believe, should fix this in your favor.
neither will happen.
This thread makes that clear.
Old May 27, 21, 8:13 pm

Programs: UA1K, AS Gold 75K, AC 50K, AA Plat, HH Diamond, MR Titanium LT Gold, IHG Platinum, HZ PC, CLEAR
I did. They offered to find me a similar seat on another flight since my flight was full. Could not find anything.
What was their explanation? USMS transport? ICE removal? OIA extradition?
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old May 27, 21, 8:19 pm

What was their explanation? USMS transport? ICE removal? OIA extradition?
The agent said could be air marshall wanting that seat. So I asked if the air marshall was traveling with a friend since both the middle seat 21B and my original aisle seat 21C were taken. LOL
Old May 27, 21, 8:20 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA View Post
Yes, report this. UA seems to handle the underlying causes worst than other carriers and this really needs to be fixed

But to avoid more frustration, kept expectations very low. Because
neither will happen.
This thread makes that clear.
Yes thanks. Keeping my expectation extremely low. Initially was planning to give the passenger occupying 21C the stink eye tomorrow but after your explanation, maybe not LOL
Guate87 likes this.
Old May 27, 21, 8:25 pm

The agent said could be air marshall wanting that seat. So I asked if the air marshall was traveling with a friend since both the middle seat 21B and my original aisle seat 21C were taken. LOL
Ah, TSA...that explains a lot.
Old May 27, 21, 8:52 pm
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
The agent said could be air marshall wanting that seat....
-- UA personal are not suppose to comment on or speculative about FAMs - very strictly forbidden. Their presence is suppose to be anonymous. This sounds like the classic phone agent making sometime up to get you off the phone -- but was a poor choice of a fabricated excuse.

While FAMs are sometime the cause of strange seating changes, the folk lore is they sit more forward (or the very back) and not bulkhead or exit rows
Where do FAMs sit and where do they keep their weapons?
but they do sit in economy
https://onemileatatime.com/us-air-ma...ack-of-planes/
lincolnjkc likes this.
Old May 27, 21, 9:26 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA View Post
-- UA personal are not suppose to comment on or speculative about FAMs - very strictly forbidden. Their presence is suppose to be anonymous. This sounds like the classic phone agent making sometime up to get you off the phone -- but was a poor choice of a fabricated excuse.

While FAMs are sometime the cause of strange seating changes, the folk lore is they sit more forward (or the very back) and not bulkhead or exit rows
Where do FAMs sit and where do they keep their weapons?
but they do sit in economy
https://onemileatatime.com/us-air-ma...ack-of-planes/
True. I had a feeling she wanted to get me off the phone.
SPN Lifer, IndyHoosier and Guate87 like this.
Old May 28, 21, 7:30 am

Boarded my B757 flight. The passenger who took my original seat 21C turned out to be another 1K passenger who was thanking the person he was on the phone with for the seat claiming it had a lot of leg room and it could recline, perhaps evidence that someone did go into the system and deliberately moved me. Horrible .
SPN Lifer and Guate87 like this.
Old May 28, 21, 9:24 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Boarded my B757 flight. The passenger who took my original seat 21C turned out to be another 1K passenger who was thanking the person he was on the phone with for the seat claiming it had a lot of leg room and it could recline, perhaps evidence that someone did go into the system and deliberately moved me. Horrible .
My suspicion, when I first read your post, was "shenanigans", and what you are now reporting seems to confirm that. In my case above, where my wife got moved to the back of the cabin, the guy they put in her seat, wasn't a FAM and seemed like a VIP, although I didn't try to talk to him because I didn't want to cause a scene.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old May 28, 21, 10:28 am

Originally Posted by zombietooth View Post
My suspicion, when I first read your post, was "shenanigans", and what you are now reporting seems to confirm that. In my case above, where my wife got moved to the back of the cabin, the guy they put in her seat, wasn't a FAM and seemed like a VIP, although I didn't try to talk to him because I didn't want to cause a scene.
i hear you. I was tempted to ask him how he gor the seat but did not want to cause a scene either . It may not be his fault
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old May 28, 21, 11:22 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
i hear you. I was tempted to ask him how he gor the seat but did not want to cause a scene either . It may not be his fault
Another thing that I find incredibly suspicious about both of our situations is that the changes occurred so late. What normal GS or 1K is looking at his reservation every hour or so, hoping for an equipment swap, to exploit desirable seats becoming available?
Old May 28, 21, 11:24 am

Another thing that I find incredibly suspicious about both of our situations is that the changes occurred so late. What normal GS or 1K is looking at his reservation every hour or so, hoping for an equipment swap, so as to exploit desirable seats becoming available?
indeed. I escalated this matter via email to Scott Kirby. Not like he would care or respond but I just had to send
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old May 28, 21, 11:27 am

Another thing that I find incredibly suspicious about both of our situations is that the changes occurred so late. What normal GS or 1K is looking at his reservation every hour or so, hoping for an equipment swap, to exploit desirable seats becoming available?
On the other hand, the kind of tail swap that shuffles seats tends to happen late on.

Also expertflyer can send seat alerts.
SPN Lifer likes this.

Search this Thread