Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "United Club Access Questions" Thread [ARCHIVE]

Old Dec 7, 2014, 12:30 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive of older posts, the active thread is Consolidated "United Club Access Questions" Thread

United operates United Clubs in the USA and many international locations -- see United Club and Other United Lounges for a detailed list.

UA's partners and the Star Alliance operates lounges in some of the same airports and many others. See the *A Lounge Finder and *A Lounge Access Policies . Additionally, some airports have "contract" lounges, admission is airport dependent.

United also operates International Global First Lounges and Arrival Lounges. These lounges have different access policy, see the linked threads for more.

To have access to the UCs, you will need to fit into one of the following
  • Be a UC member -- either directly purchased or combined with a credit card (such as Chase MP Club card)
    * UC members can have 2 guests or guest their spouse and dependent children under 21 years - Note at non-UA *A lounges UC members are allowed only 1 guest.
    * The actual UC membership card @ UCs is generally not required if you have a UA BP -- since the UC membership is tied to the MP account
    * Same day BP on ANY airline (arriving or departing)
    * Spousal memberships are available as an extra cost option
  • Be traveling as *G member (see UA *G on domestic-only itinerary limitation) with departing *A BP showing your status while in any cabin
    * Can guest 1 traveler with a departing *A BP.
    * UA *G cannot access domestic UCs unless traveling on a *A international itin (within 24 hours - can be different PNR)
    * If non-UA *G but crediting to UA MP, you will need to present your non-UA *G card. There have been some reports of refused entry -- agents claiming you have to be crediting to the same program as you are requesting entry
  • Be departing that airport in *A International Business or International First (with BP)
    * International First passengers can guest 1 traveler with a departing *A BP. No guests for International Business.
    * UA has an expanded access policy that those traveling same day International Business or International First on UA operated flights can access UCs at any same day connecting airport
  • Premium transcontinental non-stop (EWR-SFO/LAX & BOS-SFO) business class traveler
    * Limited to origin and destination airports of the premium transcontinental flight -- does not include connecting cities
    * No guests
  • Have or purchase a UC one-time access pass
    * No guests
  • Have Amtrak Select Plus or Select Executive status.
    * 1 guest
    * Same day BP on ANY airline (arriving or departing)

When BP/ticket is required, it can be either a paid or award ticket.

United Club T&Cs

Common questions
Children -- Are they counted as a guest?
Anyone with an individual ticket is counted as a guest. Lap children (below 2 years of age) are not counted as a guest. UC members can guest their dependent family at UCs (but this will not work at other *A lounges).

Is Canada, Mexico, Caribbean, Puerto Rico (San Juan), .... international for UC access?
Yes
Travel to or from Canada, the Caribbean, Central America, Guam and Mexico are considered international itineraries for the purposes of United Club access.
What about Domestic First Class?
Domestic First Class is not provided with UC access. Unless you qualify based on some other reason, there is no access for paid or award domestic FC.

Can my guest stay if I leave the lounge?
Strictly speaking, no. Guests only have access when the sponsor is in the lounge. You have "responsibility" for the guest when they are in the lounge. Realistically, however, there is usually no problem with leaving a guest behind.

Can access to the UC be further restricted?
UA reserves the right to limit access including the number of guests at times of crowding.

Can I bring food into the UC?
Strictly speaking no. There may be local health & safety codes against this.

Can I guest 3 co-workers by using multiple access methods? Such as 2 via UC membership and 1 as *G international?
No -- you cannot stack access methods.

Can I access the UC on arrival and no forward *A travel or if departing on a non-*A carrier?
Maybe if UC member or UA *G on international itinerary or arriving on UC operated Polaris cabin itinarary (Alsoyou qill need to able to access to the UC location)
Starting 18 Aug 2016: United Club Access (including members) Only w/ Same-Day BP

Partner lounges
Access / reviews for TK's IAD *A lounge
Consolidated "Access to Lufthansa Lounge at IAD" Thread [2014 forward]
Best IAD Lounge
Lufthansa Lounge Access in DTW/Detroit
Accessing the *A Lounge at LAX/TBIT as a UA flyer
Print Wikipost

Consolidated "United Club Access Questions" Thread [ARCHIVE]

Old May 12, 2019, 6:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by CruiserCLE
Flying US-Mexico and back in a few weeks and I know I have access headed to Mexico as it's an international itinerary and I am *G, but can anyone confirm I still have access on the way back home at IAH? I'll have a few hours before my connecting flight so obviously will want to use the lounge assuming I'm not restricted on an arriving intl' itinerary.
Yes, as a UA*G you have access to UCs at the arrival point of an international itinerary (and connecting points, if that's what IAH is).
Old May 12, 2019, 6:33 pm

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by findark
Yes, as a UA*G you have access to UCs at the arrival point of an international itinerary (and connecting points, if that's what IAH is).
Perfect! Thanks for the quick confirmation. Yes, in this case IAH is the arrival point from Mexico. I also have a second connection in ORD (for some reason the fare was significantly cheaper with 2 stops) but it's same day and the same ticket so I assume I should also have no trouble accessing in ORD given it's all one intl' itinerary.
Old May 12, 2019, 7:19 pm

Originally Posted by CruiserCLE
Second question - due to some work travel changes, I may start accruing status with Copa or Avianca the second half of this year. While I read the wiki re: other airline *G but crediting to UA MP, does anyone know the access rules if it were the opposite and I were to be flying and crediting to AV/CM (would not yet have status with them) but presented my UA *G card? I would think I should still be allowed entry as they would be international itineraries (so not trying to access on a solely domestic run) but would appreciate any insight.
If you end up getting status with AV/CM then you would have access to UCs on any flight involving UA or *A partners. The no domestic access restriction is specifically only for UA Elites. Keep in mind that there are other better lounges available to UA Elites regardless of itinerary. For instance, I flew LAX > DTW on UA in Y a little over a month ago and was able to access the excellent *A Lounge at TBIT which had amongst other things a shower and rooftop terrace with bar. A complete listing of such lounges can be found here.

You should have no issue accessing your *Gold benefits whilst crediting to another FFP. There are many ways to skin this particular cat:
  1. Enter your UA FF number into the ticket initially then update the number after visiting the lounge. The benefit here is your boarding pass will then say UA*Gold making it easier to access the benefits. The downside is you have to remember to update it before you end up boarding your flight.
  2. Enter your AV/CM FF number into the ticket but carry your UA Premier membership card with you. Whenever you want to access a benefit, simply present the card to the lounge dragon or agent. If you're UA Gold or below, you'll need to use the UA Mobile App to pull up the card. Otherwise, you should have a physical card that is valid thru your journey which you can present.
If I were in your shoes, I would carefully consider my FFP carefully. Different programs have different benefits which may make sense for you. For instance, OZ hands out lifetime *Gold once you fly 500,000 miles across any *A airline (not just OZ). A3 reduces the number of miles required to re-qualify. UA has special arrangements with partners LH and NH to allow for GPUs to apply to flights operated by them (and to grant lounge access when flying discount airlines like GermanWings). I've done the mental arithmetic in my head and based on my travel needs at the moment, UA's program makes the most sense (i.e. 3 bags of checked baggage in Basic Economy across the Atlantic, free E+ seating even in Basic Economy when ticketed properly, CPUs, etc.)

Safe Travels,

James
Old May 12, 2019, 7:22 pm

Programs: NZ Elite
Originally Posted by j2simpso
That about sums up Customer Service on domestic US airlines

I've never been to any Polaris lounge but have spoken to colleagues who have. It's a very good lounge which offers restaurant style dining, good showers and other amenities. However, I have trekked from TBIT (to use the *A Lounge) to T7 to catch my UA flight and agree that it takes about 20-25 minutes. Basically there's a lot of walking and going up and down escalators and underground walkways. My recommendation would be to eat at the Polaris lounge, then head on over to the *A lounge after trekking there. You'll be a bit sweaty which is fine, you'll just use the shower facilities at the *A lounge to clean off. You can then enjoy a glass of DOM on the roof top terrace whilst watching the big birds take off! One final note, since the *A lounge is not a United Club lounge, you should have access to it flying J or flying any class of service with any *A airline like UA domestically.

Safe Travels,

James
James, thank you. I'm also exploring the option of taking the shuttle landside from the Arrivals area of TBIT, after I check in for my NZ flight.
Once I'm in T7, clear security there, head to the Polaris lounge, spend a couple of hours there and then make my way airside to TBIT.
Would this be a better option rather than walking airside from TBIT to T7 and back to TBIT ?
I always go to the *A lounge at TBIT which is nice if it is not too crowded. The outside patio with the fireplace is nice but every time I go it is a little bit chilly / windy for me due to PM NZ departures. Ever since United opened its brand new Polaris lounge, I've been wanting to give it a try and spend more time there.
Old May 12, 2019, 7:32 pm

Originally Posted by gambda
James, thank you. I'm also exploring the option of taking the shuttle landside from the Arrivals area of TBIT, after I check in for my NZ flight.
Once I'm in T7, clear security there, head to the Polaris lounge, spend a couple of hours there and then make my way airside to TBIT.
Would this be a better option rather than walking airside from TBIT to T7 and back to TBIT ?
I always go to the *A lounge at TBIT which is nice if it is not too crowded. The outside patio with the fireplace is nice but every time I go it is a little bit chilly / windy for me due to PM NZ departures. Ever since United opened its brand new Polaris lounge, I've been wanting to give it a try and spend more time there.
Out of curiosity, will you be checking in bags for your NZ flight? If you're not, I suspect you should be able to just check in online, head straight to T7, and just show the TSA agent your boarding pass. If that's not the case, then what you suggest seems reasonable. I have not taken the land-side shuttle before. However, I suspect it'll be easier than trudging between the two terminals.

My experience at US airports is that so long as you have a boarding pass for a flight departing out of that airport on that day, the TSA will be more than happy to let you clear security at any of the terminals. When I was at LAX I cleared security at TBIT initially to access the * lounge there (even though flight was taking off from T7) and when I was at EWR I cleared security at Terminal B to use the LH lounge (even though my flight was taking off from Terminal C and not connected in any way airside to Terminal C).

Safe Travels,

James
Old May 12, 2019, 7:36 pm

Programs: NZ Elite
Out of curiosity, will you be checking in bags for your NZ flight? If you're not, I suspect you should be able to just check in online, head straight to T7, and just show the TSA agent your boarding pass. If that's not the case, then what you suggest seems reasonable. I have not taken the land-side shuttle before. However, I suspect it'll be easier than trudging between the two terminals.

Safe Travels,

James
Yes, I will have bags to check - packing light is not my strength
Old May 12, 2019, 8:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

For instance, OZ hands out lifetime *Gold once you fly 500,000 miles across any *A airline (not just OZ). A3 reduces the number of miles required to re-qualify.
A3 also requires some yearly flights on A3 metal, which can be a problem for people who don't travel to Greece regularly.

I would not recommend OZ. For one thing, many people will never get to 500K lifetime miles. For another, there's no guarantee that they won't roll out an earnings chart tomorrow that restricts partner earnings. Most importantly, though, the company appears to be hemorrhaging money. The last thing that you want to do is to start collecting mileage in a program that may not exist when you go to use your benefits.

Originally Posted by gambda
Personally, I'd walk. The traffic at LAX is absolutely awful. The shuttle will be slightly faster, but not much.
Old May 12, 2019, 11:05 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Let's try to stay to UC access this thread. Choice of frequent flyer programs are cover in depth elsewhere
such as
Which Frequent Flyer Program to Join? Help Is Here!

Need advice on which *A FF scheme to join? - please post here

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator
Old May 13, 2019, 2:12 am

Originally Posted by findark
I'm in doubdt with what you said. I'm in a UA145 OPO-EWR next month, and I'm a Platinum member, so *G. Can I acess the UC at EWR on the arrival?
Old May 13, 2019, 2:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mittch
I'm in doubdt with what you said. I'm in a UA145 OPO-EWR next month, and I'm a Platinum member, so *G. Can I acess the UC at EWR on the arrival?
If you have a connecting flight, yes.

Otherwise, you will not be able to get through security to get to the United Club in the first place.

Access at the arrival point on international itineraries is limited to airports where you arrive airside -- for example, YYZ-EWR, because you'd go through customs in Toronto, or SIN-SFO-EWR, because SFO-EWR is domestic so you'd end up inside security.
Old May 13, 2019, 2:38 am

Originally Posted by jsloan
If you have a connecting flight, yes.

Otherwise, you will not be able to get through security to get to the United Club in the first place.

Access at the arrival point on international itineraries is limited to airports where you arrive airside -- for example, YYZ-EWR, because you'd go through customs in Toronto, or SIN-SFO-EWR, because SFO-EWR is domestic so you'd end up inside security.
Thank you for yor help
Old May 13, 2019, 10:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 2MM/GS; SPG Lifetime Plat; MHC Lifetime; Tar Heel forever; and I "Dig the Pig" at Piggly Wiggly
Polaris C, EWR-LAX

we are booked in C on 787-10, the real new Polaris, from Newark to LAX. Reservations told us we could access a lounge, but she was not sure if UC or Polaris Lounge. Any idea?
Old May 13, 2019, 10:29 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by kevinsac
we are booked in C on 787-10, the real new Polaris, from Newark to LAX. Reservations told us we could access a lounge, but she was not sure if UC or Polaris Lounge. Any idea?
United Club.

EWR-LAX is not Polaris service. It's just the Polaris seat. Not the same thing.
Old May 13, 2019, 10:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kevinsac
The United Club. The equipment on the plane doesn't matter; the Polaris Lounge is only available to customers flying longhaul business class.
Old May 13, 2019, 1:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 2MM/GS; SPG Lifetime Plat; MHC Lifetime; Tar Heel forever; and I "Dig the Pig" at Piggly Wiggly
Thanks

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.