Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "United Club Access Questions" Thread [ARCHIVE]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 7, 2014, 12:30 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive of older posts, the active thread is Consolidated "United Club Access Questions" Thread

United operates United Clubs in the USA and many international locations -- see United Club and Other United Lounges for a detailed list.

UA's partners and the Star Alliance operates lounges in some of the same airports and many others. See the *A Lounge Finder and *A Lounge Access Policies . Additionally, some airports have "contract" lounges, admission is airport dependent.

United also operates International Global First Lounges and Arrival Lounges. These lounges have different access policy, see the linked threads for more.

To have access to the UCs, you will need to fit into one of the following
  • Be a UC member -- either directly purchased or combined with a credit card (such as Chase MP Club card)
    * UC members can have 2 guests or guest their spouse and dependent children under 21 years - Note at non-UA *A lounges UC members are allowed only 1 guest.
    * The actual UC membership card @ UCs is generally not required if you have a UA BP -- since the UC membership is tied to the MP account
    * Same day BP on ANY airline (arriving or departing)
    * Spousal memberships are available as an extra cost option
  • Be traveling as *G member (see UA *G on domestic-only itinerary limitation) with departing *A BP showing your status while in any cabin
    * Can guest 1 traveler with a departing *A BP.
    * UA *G cannot access domestic UCs unless traveling on a *A international itin (within 24 hours - can be different PNR)
    * If non-UA *G but crediting to UA MP, you will need to present your non-UA *G card. There have been some reports of refused entry -- agents claiming you have to be crediting to the same program as you are requesting entry
  • Be departing that airport in *A International Business or International First (with BP)
    * International First passengers can guest 1 traveler with a departing *A BP. No guests for International Business.
    * UA has an expanded access policy that those traveling same day International Business or International First on UA operated flights can access UCs at any same day connecting airport
  • Premium transcontinental non-stop (EWR-SFO/LAX & BOS-SFO) business class traveler
    * Limited to origin and destination airports of the premium transcontinental flight -- does not include connecting cities
    * No guests
  • Have or purchase a UC one-time access pass
    * No guests
  • Have Amtrak Select Plus or Select Executive status.
    * 1 guest
    * Same day BP on ANY airline (arriving or departing)

When BP/ticket is required, it can be either a paid or award ticket.

United Club T&Cs

Common questions
Children -- Are they counted as a guest?
Anyone with an individual ticket is counted as a guest. Lap children (below 2 years of age) are not counted as a guest. UC members can guest their dependent family at UCs (but this will not work at other *A lounges).

Is Canada, Mexico, Caribbean, Puerto Rico (San Juan), .... international for UC access?
Yes
Travel to or from Canada, the Caribbean, Central America, Guam and Mexico are considered international itineraries for the purposes of United Club access.
What about Domestic First Class?
Domestic First Class is not provided with UC access. Unless you qualify based on some other reason, there is no access for paid or award domestic FC.

Can my guest stay if I leave the lounge?
Strictly speaking, no. Guests only have access when the sponsor is in the lounge. You have "responsibility" for the guest when they are in the lounge. Realistically, however, there is usually no problem with leaving a guest behind.

Can access to the UC be further restricted?
UA reserves the right to limit access including the number of guests at times of crowding.

Can I bring food into the UC?
Strictly speaking no. There may be local health & safety codes against this.

Can I guest 3 co-workers by using multiple access methods? Such as 2 via UC membership and 1 as *G international?
No -- you cannot stack access methods.

Can I access the UC on arrival and no forward *A travel or if departing on a non-*A carrier?
Maybe if UC member or UA *G on international itinerary or arriving on UC operated Polaris cabin itinarary (Alsoyou qill need to able to access to the UC location)
Starting 18 Aug 2016: United Club Access (including members) Only w/ Same-Day BP

Partner lounges
Access / reviews for TK's IAD *A lounge
Consolidated "Access to Lufthansa Lounge at IAD" Thread [2014 forward]
Best IAD Lounge
Lufthansa Lounge Access in DTW/Detroit
Accessing the *A Lounge at LAX/TBIT as a UA flyer
Print Wikipost

Consolidated "United Club Access Questions" Thread [ARCHIVE]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4, 2018, 12:03 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by mr8
I do not have UC membership and have access through *A from UA.

Let's say I’m flying A-B-C with C being international.

Would I be able to guest one person to a UC in airport A and a different person to a UC at airport B?
Yes

Originally Posted by mr8
What if there are multiple UCs in one airport, is my entire “day” or ticket locked to the first guest?
No, but to use you guesting privileges multiple times at the same airport for different people is certainly outside the spirit of the rules. And the rules do call for the guest to leave at the same time you leave an UC.
Originally Posted by mr8
What about *G lounges? I’m assuming the guest would reset at each different brand of lounge - e.g. I could guest one person to a *G lounge and another to a UC?..
There is no written limit on the number of times you can guest but this does feel to be outside the spirit of the privilege. and again the guest needs to leave when you do.
Old Nov 4, 2018, 8:37 am

Programs: OZ Diamond (*G), KQ Asante Gold (ST+), Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by mr8
Would like to help some fellow travelers without lounge access when I can, but had a couple of questions regarding guest access at UC and other *G lounges.
I do not have UC membership and have access through *A from UA.

Let's say I’m flying A-B-C with C being international.
  1. Would I be able to guest one person to a UC in airport A and a different person to a UC at airport B?
  2. What if there are multiple UCs in one airport, is my entire “day” or ticket locked to the first guest?
  3. What about *G lounges? I’m assuming the guest would reset at each different brand of lounge - e.g. I could guest one person to a *G lounge and another to a UC?
1. Yes
2. You can guest different people at different UCs in one airport. Don't worry about your guest staying back even if you leave. Just don't be stupid about it. Don't leave 5 minutes later without your guest. As long as you give it some time, you'll be fine.
3. Same as 2.
Old Nov 6, 2018, 10:41 am

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
No UC at FCO but you have lounge access as a business class customer (paid or award, no difference) on a *A flight. But as you will be Non-Schengen, it will be the Alitalia lounge.
Sorry if this is a newbie-ish question, but I'm just curious. UA (*A) and Alitalia (SkyTeam) are not partners, so is this just a special arrangement at FCO?
Old Nov 6, 2018, 11:36 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by cheaptom
Sorry if this is a newbie-ish question, but I'm just curious. UA (*A) and Alitalia (SkyTeam) are not partners, so is this just a special arrangement at FCO?
Contract lounge (have not tested as for *G access -- just business class)
Old Nov 10, 2018, 7:12 pm

Programs: UA 1K
United Club Access traveling to SJU

Hi! Does anyone know if SJU counts as an international destination as far as lounge access is concerned? Thanks for any input!
Old Nov 10, 2018, 7:22 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by sfnats
Hi! Does anyone know if SJU counts as an international destination as far as lounge access is concerned? Thanks for any input!
Yes, it does (Caribbean destination). As a 1K you have access to United Clubs.

Last edited by StuckinITH; Nov 10, 2018 at 7:30 pm
Old Nov 10, 2018, 7:28 pm

Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K
The one and only time I went to SJU, I was on an international connection on the inbound flight, so would have had UC access anyway. I was quite surprised though on the return that they told me that we could use the lounge in SJU. It turned out to be an Avianca lounge, so would have had access regardless, but check in explained that SJU is treated as international for that purpose.
Old Nov 10, 2018, 9:32 pm

Programs: AA, UA
I am flying LATAM out of LAX. I have United club passes from the MPE card. Can I use that to access the Star Alliance lounge?
Old Nov 10, 2018, 9:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by daKav
I am flying LATAM out of LAX. I have United club passes from the MPE card. Can I use that to access the Star Alliance lounge?
No. They are only good at United Clubs. The United Club in T7 can be accessed from TBIT via airside walkways and tunnels (20 minute walk each way).
Old Nov 11, 2018, 11:52 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
I was just denied access in DFW. 1K on a paid business class ticket connecting to NZ in IAH ticketed by UA. Agent said the club is only for United customers, and I can’t be on “some other random airline”.
For a minute she scared me into thinking I wouldn’t have Polaris Lounge access in IAH (I’m already regretting changing from my perfect Polaris seat on UA to avoid SFO). I rechecked the rules and of course she’s wrong. I almost went back in to argue with her some more but I just can’t deal with another idiot today.
Definitely writing in with this one! I want a refund on the glass of wine I just ordered from a bar. It’s not the ten bucks, it’s the principal.
Thanks for letting me vent — feel better already : )
Old Nov 11, 2018, 11:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by chavala
I was just denied access in DFW. 1K on a paid business class ticket connecting to NZ in IAH ticketed by UA. Agent said the club is only for United customers, and I can’t be on “some other random airline”.
I’m not knowledgeable about how the BP scanners work for admittance. I would think scanning of your BP (either one) should result in “Let this fine person in”. Does anyone know if the agent, in a case like this, is taking it on him/herself to override what the scanner is saying?
Old Nov 11, 2018, 12:09 pm

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH

I’m not knowledgeable about how the BP scanners work for admittance. I would think scanning of your BP (either one) should result in “Let this fine person in”. Does anyone know if the agent, in a case like this, is taking it on him/herself to override what the scanner is saying?
I’m curious about that too because my BP beeped when I scanned it.
But it wouldn’t work in the kiosk checking in bags and for some reason entering in my confirmation code didn’t work either. The agent shrugged said sometimes it happens.
I hate when trips start out with annoyances like this.
Old Nov 11, 2018, 12:13 pm

Programs: United Premier 1K
Originally Posted by chavala
For a minute she scared me into thinking I wouldn’t have Polaris Lounge access in IAH (I’m already regretting changing from my perfect Polaris seat on UA to avoid SFO). I rechecked the rules and of course she’s wrong. I almost went back in to argue with her some more but I just can’t deal with another idiot today.
Definitely writing in with this one! I want a refund on the glass of wine I just ordered from a bar. It’s not the ten bucks, it’s the principal.
Thanks for letting me vent — feel better already : )
You should definitely contact 1KVoice and complain. You should have been given entrance as a United *G member travelling on an international *A itinerary (the fact that it was a business class ticket didn't even need to enter into the equation).

Per https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...ge/access.aspx for United members:
A valid Star Alliance Gold membership card and a same-day boarding pass for travel on an international flight operated by a Star Alliance member airline (departure airport can be different from that of the United Club location being entered)

(Although just to confirm - was the flight out of IAH "same day"?)
Old Nov 11, 2018, 12:28 pm

Originally Posted by Toronto1970
You should definitely contact 1KVoice and complain. You should have been given entrance as a United *G member travelling on an international *A itinerary (the fact that it was a business class ticket didn't even need to enter into the equation).

Per https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...ge/access.aspx for United members:
A valid Star Alliance Gold membership card and a same-day boarding pass for travel on an international flight operated by a Star Alliance member airline (departure airport can be different from that of the United Club location being entered)

(Although just to confirm - was the flight out of IAH "same day"?)
Yes, 4 hour layover. I just walked by and see a second agent in there — one of the good ole CO President club agents.
I nearly went in again, but only 15/minutes til boarding now.
I think it will be more effective to complain to 1K voice since I have her name. I would like to cause her a bit of stress in her life ; )
Old Nov 12, 2018, 5:13 am

Programs: UA 1K, AC 35K, SPG GOLD
"Premium transcontinental non-stop (EWR-SFO/LAX & BOS-SFO) business class traveled
* Limited to origin and destination airports of the premium transcontinental flight -- does not include connecting cities"

so if I'm doing BOS-SFO-LAS I can access UC in Bos AND in SFO?
In SFO it's any regular UC and not the arrival lounge right?
I show my transcon BP to enter?
tks it's first time I do this transcon.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.