Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "United Club Access Questions" Thread [ARCHIVE]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 7, 2014, 12:30 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive of older posts, the active thread is Consolidated "United Club Access Questions" Thread

United operates United Clubs in the USA and many international locations -- see United Club and Other United Lounges for a detailed list.

UA's partners and the Star Alliance operates lounges in some of the same airports and many others. See the *A Lounge Finder and *A Lounge Access Policies . Additionally, some airports have "contract" lounges, admission is airport dependent.

United also operates International Global First Lounges and Arrival Lounges. These lounges have different access policy, see the linked threads for more.

To have access to the UCs, you will need to fit into one of the following
  • Be a UC member -- either directly purchased or combined with a credit card (such as Chase MP Club card)
    * UC members can have 2 guests or guest their spouse and dependent children under 21 years - Note at non-UA *A lounges UC members are allowed only 1 guest.
    * The actual UC membership card @ UCs is generally not required if you have a UA BP -- since the UC membership is tied to the MP account
    * Same day BP on ANY airline (arriving or departing)
    * Spousal memberships are available as an extra cost option
  • Be traveling as *G member (see UA *G on domestic-only itinerary limitation) with departing *A BP showing your status while in any cabin
    * Can guest 1 traveler with a departing *A BP.
    * UA *G cannot access domestic UCs unless traveling on a *A international itin (within 24 hours - can be different PNR)
    * If non-UA *G but crediting to UA MP, you will need to present your non-UA *G card. There have been some reports of refused entry -- agents claiming you have to be crediting to the same program as you are requesting entry
  • Be departing that airport in *A International Business or International First (with BP)
    * International First passengers can guest 1 traveler with a departing *A BP. No guests for International Business.
    * UA has an expanded access policy that those traveling same day International Business or International First on UA operated flights can access UCs at any same day connecting airport
  • Premium transcontinental non-stop (EWR-SFO/LAX & BOS-SFO) business class traveler
    * Limited to origin and destination airports of the premium transcontinental flight -- does not include connecting cities
    * No guests
  • Have or purchase a UC one-time access pass
    * No guests
  • Have Amtrak Select Plus or Select Executive status.
    * 1 guest
    * Same day BP on ANY airline (arriving or departing)

When BP/ticket is required, it can be either a paid or award ticket.

United Club T&Cs

Common questions
Children -- Are they counted as a guest?
Anyone with an individual ticket is counted as a guest. Lap children (below 2 years of age) are not counted as a guest. UC members can guest their dependent family at UCs (but this will not work at other *A lounges).

Is Canada, Mexico, Caribbean, Puerto Rico (San Juan), .... international for UC access?
Yes
Travel to or from Canada, the Caribbean, Central America, Guam and Mexico are considered international itineraries for the purposes of United Club access.
What about Domestic First Class?
Domestic First Class is not provided with UC access. Unless you qualify based on some other reason, there is no access for paid or award domestic FC.

Can my guest stay if I leave the lounge?
Strictly speaking, no. Guests only have access when the sponsor is in the lounge. You have "responsibility" for the guest when they are in the lounge. Realistically, however, there is usually no problem with leaving a guest behind.

Can access to the UC be further restricted?
UA reserves the right to limit access including the number of guests at times of crowding.

Can I bring food into the UC?
Strictly speaking no. There may be local health & safety codes against this.

Can I guest 3 co-workers by using multiple access methods? Such as 2 via UC membership and 1 as *G international?
No -- you cannot stack access methods.

Can I access the UC on arrival and no forward *A travel or if departing on a non-*A carrier?
Maybe if UC member or UA *G on international itinerary or arriving on UC operated Polaris cabin itinarary (Alsoyou qill need to able to access to the UC location)
Starting 18 Aug 2016: United Club Access (including members) Only w/ Same-Day BP

Partner lounges
Access / reviews for TK's IAD *A lounge
Consolidated "Access to Lufthansa Lounge at IAD" Thread [2014 forward]
Best IAD Lounge
Lufthansa Lounge Access in DTW/Detroit
Accessing the *A Lounge at LAX/TBIT as a UA flyer
Print Wikipost

Consolidated "United Club Access Questions" Thread [ARCHIVE]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10, 2018, 2:29 am

Flying PVG-SFO-IAH on a single ticket. PVG-SFO in China Eastern business class, SFO-IAH in United First. Do I have access to the United Club at SFO?
Old Sep 10, 2018, 6:01 am

Programs: OZ Diamond (*G), KQ Asante Gold (ST+), Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by sniles
Flying PVG-SFO-IAH on a single ticket. PVG-SFO in China Eastern business class, SFO-IAH in United First. Do I have access to the United Club at SFO?
No, only if you arrived in UA J. Domestic F by itself isn't enough.

Last edited by zeer0; Sep 10, 2018 at 2:14 pm
Old Sep 10, 2018, 6:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by sniles
Star Alliance (non-UA) Gold status gets you access based on departing UA flight in First. United Gold (or better) status gets you access based on arriving int’l flight. Otherwise, no.

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Sep 10, 2018 at 6:58 am
Old Sep 10, 2018, 7:01 am

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH

Star Alliance (non-UA) Gold status gets you access based on departing UA flight in First. United Gold (or better) status gets you access based on arriving int’l flight. Otherwise, no.
Thank you.
Old Sep 10, 2018, 7:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
United Gold (or better) status gets you access based on arriving int’l flight. Otherwise, no.
Not in this case; China Eastern isn't Star Alliance, so there's no United Club access for United Gold+ on this itinerary.
Old Sep 10, 2018, 7:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by jsloan
Not in this case; China Eastern isn't Star Alliance, so there's no United Club access for United Gold+ on this itinerary.
Ah...missed that. Thanks!
Old Sep 10, 2018, 2:22 pm

I have the regular annual UC membership. Last week, traveled with significant other as well as three kids. Expected to have to use one-time passes for two kids. Rules state: United Club members may bring one adult and dependent children under 21, or up to two guests, into any United Club location.

At two separate United Clubs, staff didn't ask for additional passes or cash. Was a nice outcome as I have been asked for one-time passes in the past.
Old Sep 10, 2018, 2:54 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by elbejt2
I have the regular annual UC membership. Last week, traveled with significant other as well as three kids. Expected to have to use one-time passes for two kids. Rules state: United Club members may bring one adult and dependent children under 21, or up to two guests, into any United Club location.

At two separate United Clubs, staff didn't ask for additional passes or cash. Was a nice outcome as I have been asked for one-time passes in the past.
That's normal since you can bring as many dependent kids below the age of 21 that you have. You would have 7 kids, the 7 of them could have entered for free.

I'm surprised that you were charged previously. How long ago was it? Was it at a United Club?
Old Sep 13, 2018, 11:40 pm

it was an ORD club and they took a one time pass. other times they have asked me to pay and I bailed. i guess i was reading the rule incorrectly and should have pushed back on the agent. this was in the last 12 months.
Old Sep 14, 2018, 4:55 am

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by elbejt2
it was an ORD club and they took a one time pass. other times they have asked me to pay and I bailed. i guess i was reading the rule incorrectly and should have pushed back on the agent. this was in the last 12 months.
That rule about bringing in all your kids under 21 years old for free have been in effect for way longer than 12 months. It happens again, ask to speak to the supervisor and then submit a formal complaint to the UC membership.
Old Sep 16, 2018, 12:35 am

Programs: United, Bonvoy, NEXUS/GE, Amex Plat
Question about UC access rules:

Ticket #1 : I’m flying EWR-LAX, departing Monday Oct. 10th and landing in LA on the 11th (1am).

Ticket #2 : LAX-NRT departing LAX on the 11th at 11am.

Any chance I can get into the UC at EWR if I show my second res? My boarding pass will not have the INTL designation since they’re separate tickets. Never encountered this situation before personally. Thanks in advance for the collective wisdom of FT!

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Sep 16, 2018 at 11:44 am Reason: moved to master thread
Old Sep 16, 2018, 1:50 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by MTan
Any chance I can get into the UC at EWR if I show my second res? My boarding pass will not have the INTL designation since they’re separate tickets. Never encountered this situation before personally. Thanks in advance for the collective wisdom of FT!
If you're flying business EWR-LAX, yes. Otherwise probably not, though you can certainly try.
Old Sep 16, 2018, 2:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kacee
If you're flying business EWR-LAX, yes. Otherwise probably not, though you can certainly try.
"Same day" increasingly seems to mean "same calendar day." I'd expect to be denied if flying in Y.
Old Sep 16, 2018, 2:06 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by jsloan
"Same day" increasingly seems to mean "same calendar day." I'd expect to be denied if flying in Y.
That was kind of my point.
Old Sep 16, 2018, 2:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kacee
That was kind of my point.
:-) Hey, it's late. I was agreeing with you, but thought the extra detail might be informational. Even if it were a single ticket, and INTL were printed on the boarding pass -- which, due to the overnight stop, wouldn't have been a given -- I don't know that it would have mattered.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.