Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "United Club Access Questions" Thread [ARCHIVE]

Old Dec 7, 2014, 12:30 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive of older posts, the active thread is Consolidated "United Club Access Questions" Thread

United operates United Clubs in the USA and many international locations -- see United Club and Other United Lounges for a detailed list.

UA's partners and the Star Alliance operates lounges in some of the same airports and many others. See the *A Lounge Finder and *A Lounge Access Policies . Additionally, some airports have "contract" lounges, admission is airport dependent.

United also operates International Global First Lounges and Arrival Lounges. These lounges have different access policy, see the linked threads for more.

To have access to the UCs, you will need to fit into one of the following
  • Be a UC member -- either directly purchased or combined with a credit card (such as Chase MP Club card)
    * UC members can have 2 guests or guest their spouse and dependent children under 21 years - Note at non-UA *A lounges UC members are allowed only 1 guest.
    * The actual UC membership card @ UCs is generally not required if you have a UA BP -- since the UC membership is tied to the MP account
    * Same day BP on ANY airline (arriving or departing)
    * Spousal memberships are available as an extra cost option
  • Be traveling as *G member (see UA *G on domestic-only itinerary limitation) with departing *A BP showing your status while in any cabin
    * Can guest 1 traveler with a departing *A BP.
    * UA *G cannot access domestic UCs unless traveling on a *A international itin (within 24 hours - can be different PNR)
    * If non-UA *G but crediting to UA MP, you will need to present your non-UA *G card. There have been some reports of refused entry -- agents claiming you have to be crediting to the same program as you are requesting entry
  • Be departing that airport in *A International Business or International First (with BP)
    * International First passengers can guest 1 traveler with a departing *A BP. No guests for International Business.
    * UA has an expanded access policy that those traveling same day International Business or International First on UA operated flights can access UCs at any same day connecting airport
  • Premium transcontinental non-stop (EWR-SFO/LAX & BOS-SFO) business class traveler
    * Limited to origin and destination airports of the premium transcontinental flight -- does not include connecting cities
    * No guests
  • Have or purchase a UC one-time access pass
    * No guests
  • Have Amtrak Select Plus or Select Executive status.
    * 1 guest
    * Same day BP on ANY airline (arriving or departing)

When BP/ticket is required, it can be either a paid or award ticket.

United Club T&Cs

Common questions
Children -- Are they counted as a guest?
Anyone with an individual ticket is counted as a guest. Lap children (below 2 years of age) are not counted as a guest. UC members can guest their dependent family at UCs (but this will not work at other *A lounges).

Is Canada, Mexico, Caribbean, Puerto Rico (San Juan), .... international for UC access?
Yes
Travel to or from Canada, the Caribbean, Central America, Guam and Mexico are considered international itineraries for the purposes of United Club access.
What about Domestic First Class?
Domestic First Class is not provided with UC access. Unless you qualify based on some other reason, there is no access for paid or award domestic FC.

Can my guest stay if I leave the lounge?
Strictly speaking, no. Guests only have access when the sponsor is in the lounge. You have "responsibility" for the guest when they are in the lounge. Realistically, however, there is usually no problem with leaving a guest behind.

Can access to the UC be further restricted?
UA reserves the right to limit access including the number of guests at times of crowding.

Can I bring food into the UC?
Strictly speaking no. There may be local health & safety codes against this.

Can I guest 3 co-workers by using multiple access methods? Such as 2 via UC membership and 1 as *G international?
No -- you cannot stack access methods.

Can I access the UC on arrival and no forward *A travel or if departing on a non-*A carrier?
Maybe if UC member or UA *G on international itinerary or arriving on UC operated Polaris cabin itinarary (Alsoyou qill need to able to access to the UC location)
Starting 18 Aug 2016: United Club Access (including members) Only w/ Same-Day BP

Partner lounges
Access / reviews for TK's IAD *A lounge
Consolidated "Access to Lufthansa Lounge at IAD" Thread [2014 forward]
Best IAD Lounge
Lufthansa Lounge Access in DTW/Detroit
Accessing the *A Lounge at LAX/TBIT as a UA flyer
Print Wikipost

Consolidated "United Club Access Questions" Thread [ARCHIVE]

Old May 17, 2018, 8:53 pm

Programs: United 1k aa exec plat
Originally Posted by emcampbe

IME, shouldn’t matter which BP you use - all should be marked INTL, and scanning either one at club entrance should show eligible. At least I’ve never had a problem with this.

Also, as a plat, or *G really, metal doesn’t matter for lounge access after the international leg - only thing that matters is you are flying *A on an international itinerary that day. Where Lounge access requires UA metal on the international segment is for non*G flying in business.
question on this-my flight from sfo via newark to sju san juan was marked INTL and i was able to access the lounges..
when i asked if puerto rico flights were always counted as INTL i was told i dont know its a difficult question(!)
i have the same flight coming up again-so are puerto rico flights considered as INTL ?(allowing lounge access as a 1k?)
thanks
Old May 17, 2018, 9:18 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by bryanwallace
... i have the same flight coming up again-so are puerto rico flights considered as INTL ?(allowing lounge access as a 1k?) ...
As was your previous experience, This had been true in the past but some recent experiences have created uncertainty -- so impossible to predict at this point for UCs.
Old May 17, 2018, 9:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
question on this-my flight from sfo via newark to sju san juan was marked INTL and i was able to access the lounges..
when i asked if puerto rico flights were always counted as INTL i was told i dont know its a difficult question(!)
i have the same flight coming up again-so are puerto rico flights considered as INTL ?(allowing lounge access as a 1k?)
thanks
cant speak to today, but when I was gold going to SJU, ~3 years ago, from ORD, we were let into the UA club just as if it was any international flight, scanned BP and we were good to go - no questions asked.
Old May 17, 2018, 10:22 pm

but the boarding pass had INTL printed on it-I dont see why this can be open to uncertainty as it must be system controlled?
Old May 17, 2018, 10:40 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
but the boarding pass had INTL printed on it-I dont see why this can be open to uncertainty as it must be system controlled?
It is puzzling but read this experience.
There has been one other similar report a few months ago. It may be an IAH thing or ????
Old May 17, 2018, 11:17 pm

interesting indeed..
i will give it a whirl and report back
thanks
Old May 18, 2018, 4:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
United won't let facts and logic get in the way if they feel like it.
Old May 18, 2018, 10:43 am

Programs: UA 1K, QF Plat, VA Gold, IHG Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Coles FlyBuys
I've been following this thread off and on for years, so apologies if this has already been covered. I didn't see much on search.

Some background: I've been UA 1K for a LONG time (nearly ten years) but I've had a UC membership for much of it, so I haven't paid too much attention as to WHY I've been allowed into United Clubs (whether due to paid biz, UA club membership, or *G). I'm based outside the US so very little of my flying is domestic, and I often fly DL in the US anyway since I get lounge access with my Virgin Australia Gold status. I've recently downgraded my Chase United Club card to a normal Chase United Explorer card (I was seeing very little benefit) so I have a few lounge passes.

I've just completed a trip SYD-(UA Hub 1) on Day 1, followed by (UA Hub 1)-(UA Hub 2)-(Destination) on Day 2. I upgraded SYD-(UA Hub 1) with a GPU, which never cleared on the second two legs. After 15 years as a United MP member, this is the first time I've ever NOT found a way to travel up front. [First world problems!]

Anyway, on Day 2 my son (no status) and I checked in to the UA Club at (UA Hub #1 ) expecting to use a pass to get in, but the nice agent said we qualified to get in. I asked her if my UC membership was still valid but she said it had expired, but we had access since we'd connected internationally. I didn't mention to her that our Int'l flight was the previous day.

Thinking this was just a fluke/nice agent, we took our first flight and landed at (UA Hub #2 ) where the agent there let us in as well, no questions asked.

Another few data points:
  • I didn't get paper BPs on this trip, and I can't find the INT'L designation anywhere on the electronic BPs (but not sure if these usually show it anyway).
  • These int'l connections were on the next calendar day but my connection was ~22 hrs so this was technically a LAYOVER not a STOPOVER

I know I'm supposed get access as a *G on a same-day int'l itinerary, but these two domestic legs were on the next calendar day. So did I just get lucky or is this within policy?
Old May 18, 2018, 11:32 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by TrayflowInUK
I know I'm supposed get access as a *G on a same-day int'l itinerary, but these two domestic legs were on the next calendar day. So did I just get lucky or is this within policy?
The policy as applied is 24 hours, so admittance was per policy.

These int'l connections were on the next calendar day but my connection was ~22 hrs so this was technically a LAYOVER not a STOPOVER
I think it would technically be called a connection. The layover is literally the time in between flights.
Old May 18, 2018, 11:18 pm

Programs: UA 1K, QF Plat, VA Gold, IHG Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Coles FlyBuys
Thanks Kacee, that’s my assumption, that the <24-hr cxn kept the lounge access alive but if I would’ve had a >24-hr con we would not have been granted access.

i imagine if the second two flights (the domestic legs) had been on a separate PNR they wouldn’t have qualified?
Old May 19, 2018, 12:02 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
i imagine if the second two flights (the domestic legs) had been on a separate PNR they wouldn’t have qualified?
It would have qualified, but there would have been more room for agent error because you couldn't simply rely on a scan of your departing BP.
Old May 19, 2018, 8:36 am

Programs: AA Gold
which ORD lounge for a 5 hour layover from ET biz class arrival?

I have award tix from UA to fly business class on UA/ET to and from MCI to JRO in late August. There has been a schedule change on the return, having us sitting at ORD for 5 hours before the flight back to MCI. Since we will have arrived at ORD on ET in business class, what lounges will we have access to for the 5 hour wait? Is it only the United Club? I know we will need a shower and breakfast then li
lunch. We arrive ORD at 7:55 am and depart for Kansas City at 1:00pm. This segment is in economy as there are no F award seats available.
Old May 19, 2018, 9:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
I would see if you can extend to a longer connection and go into the city b
Old May 19, 2018, 9:13 am

Originally Posted by susiesan
Since we will have arrived at ORD on ET in business class, what lounges will we have access to for the 5 hour wait?
None unless you are *A Gold.
Old May 19, 2018, 10:25 am

Programs: UA 1K; National Executive Elite; Hertz PC & Hotels Galore
You can purchase passes to the UC. Free UC access for *A premium cabin customers is limited to the departure airport of their business class flight (so not the arrival/connecting airport(s)).

*A Gold status holders can access UC lounges while traveling on same-day international itineraries (regardless of class of travel).

You may be able to SDC to an earlier ORD-MCI flight. You'd want to do that prior to or at baggage re-check when you arrive at ORD if traveling with luggage.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.