Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "United Club Access Questions" Thread [ARCHIVE]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 7, 2014, 12:30 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive of older posts, the active thread is Consolidated "United Club Access Questions" Thread

United operates United Clubs in the USA and many international locations -- see United Club and Other United Lounges for a detailed list.

UA's partners and the Star Alliance operates lounges in some of the same airports and many others. See the *A Lounge Finder and *A Lounge Access Policies . Additionally, some airports have "contract" lounges, admission is airport dependent.

United also operates International Global First Lounges and Arrival Lounges. These lounges have different access policy, see the linked threads for more.

To have access to the UCs, you will need to fit into one of the following
  • Be a UC member -- either directly purchased or combined with a credit card (such as Chase MP Club card)
    * UC members can have 2 guests or guest their spouse and dependent children under 21 years - Note at non-UA *A lounges UC members are allowed only 1 guest.
    * The actual UC membership card @ UCs is generally not required if you have a UA BP -- since the UC membership is tied to the MP account
    * Same day BP on ANY airline (arriving or departing)
    * Spousal memberships are available as an extra cost option
  • Be traveling as *G member (see UA *G on domestic-only itinerary limitation) with departing *A BP showing your status while in any cabin
    * Can guest 1 traveler with a departing *A BP.
    * UA *G cannot access domestic UCs unless traveling on a *A international itin (within 24 hours - can be different PNR)
    * If non-UA *G but crediting to UA MP, you will need to present your non-UA *G card. There have been some reports of refused entry -- agents claiming you have to be crediting to the same program as you are requesting entry
  • Be departing that airport in *A International Business or International First (with BP)
    * International First passengers can guest 1 traveler with a departing *A BP. No guests for International Business.
    * UA has an expanded access policy that those traveling same day International Business or International First on UA operated flights can access UCs at any same day connecting airport
  • Premium transcontinental non-stop (EWR-SFO/LAX & BOS-SFO) business class traveler
    * Limited to origin and destination airports of the premium transcontinental flight -- does not include connecting cities
    * No guests
  • Have or purchase a UC one-time access pass
    * No guests
  • Have Amtrak Select Plus or Select Executive status.
    * 1 guest
    * Same day BP on ANY airline (arriving or departing)

When BP/ticket is required, it can be either a paid or award ticket.

United Club T&Cs

Common questions
Children -- Are they counted as a guest?
Anyone with an individual ticket is counted as a guest. Lap children (below 2 years of age) are not counted as a guest. UC members can guest their dependent family at UCs (but this will not work at other *A lounges).

Is Canada, Mexico, Caribbean, Puerto Rico (San Juan), .... international for UC access?
Yes
Travel to or from Canada, the Caribbean, Central America, Guam and Mexico are considered international itineraries for the purposes of United Club access.
What about Domestic First Class?
Domestic First Class is not provided with UC access. Unless you qualify based on some other reason, there is no access for paid or award domestic FC.

Can my guest stay if I leave the lounge?
Strictly speaking, no. Guests only have access when the sponsor is in the lounge. You have "responsibility" for the guest when they are in the lounge. Realistically, however, there is usually no problem with leaving a guest behind.

Can access to the UC be further restricted?
UA reserves the right to limit access including the number of guests at times of crowding.

Can I bring food into the UC?
Strictly speaking no. There may be local health & safety codes against this.

Can I guest 3 co-workers by using multiple access methods? Such as 2 via UC membership and 1 as *G international?
No -- you cannot stack access methods.

Can I access the UC on arrival and no forward *A travel or if departing on a non-*A carrier?
Maybe if UC member or UA *G on international itinerary or arriving on UC operated Polaris cabin itinarary (Alsoyou qill need to able to access to the UC location)
Starting 18 Aug 2016: United Club Access (including members) Only w/ Same-Day BP

Partner lounges
Access / reviews for TK's IAD *A lounge
Consolidated "Access to Lufthansa Lounge at IAD" Thread [2014 forward]
Best IAD Lounge
Lufthansa Lounge Access in DTW/Detroit
Accessing the *A Lounge at LAX/TBIT as a UA flyer
Print Wikipost

Consolidated "United Club Access Questions" Thread [ARCHIVE]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28, 2018, 9:10 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by BangkokTraveler
Wife is *G (UA Platinum). Today, she flew SJU-IAH-ORD, On the long-ish layover connecting at IAH, she was denied access to the United Club in IAH, they told her "San Juan is not International". ....
Did the agents scan the BP?
Did the BP have INTL label?

So, has the policy changed? ...
This would be the first report
If not, what do you think she should do as far as a letter to UA (or what would YOU do?) Or should she let it go?
Report, even if just to get a more informed clarification.
Old Apr 28, 2018, 9:18 pm
mr8

Programs: UA1K | *A Gold
Wife is *G (UA Platinum). Today, she flew SJU-IAH-ORD, On the long-ish layover connecting at IAH, she was denied access to the United Club in IAH, they told her "....
From my experience, it’s best to just scan your boarding pass and keep questions/answers to a minimum as they’ll usually find some excuse to deny access.
Old Apr 28, 2018, 10:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
So, has the policy changed? If not, what do you think she should do as far as a letter to UA (or what would YOU do?) Or should she let it go?
No policy change. This seems to be a particular problem at IAH . . . it happened to me right around the time of the merger (inbound from PTY) and there was a similar report just last week.

I would definitely send a complaint to customer care. Briefly describe the facts, including that the lounge agents were shown the published rules, and the time of the incident (so UA can see who was staffing the desk). If I did not get a satisfactory response, I would follow up with the corporate office.
Old Apr 29, 2018, 2:58 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Thanks all.

Originally Posted by Kacee
I would definitely send a complaint to customer care. Briefly describe the facts, including that the lounge agents were shown the published rules, and the time of the incident (so UA can see who was staffing the desk). If I did not get a satisfactory response, I would follow up with the corporate office.
I will recommend that to her.

Originally Posted by mr8
From my experience, it’s best to just scan your boarding pass and keep questions/answers to a minimum as they’ll usually find some excuse to deny access.

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Did the agents scan the BP?
Did the BP have INTL label?
Yes, they scanned the BP and yes, both the SJU-IAH BP and the IAH-ORD BP had the INTL label.

Last edited by BangkokTraveler; Apr 29, 2018 at 3:27 pm
Old Apr 29, 2018, 3:01 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Yes, they scanned the BP and yes, the SJU-IAH BP said INTL. Of course, the IAH-ORD BP did not say INTL.
I'd also attach a scan of the BP if she still has it.
Old Apr 29, 2018, 3:29 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
I'd also attach a scan of the BP if she still has it.
Thanks .... actually, both the SJU-IAH and IAH-ORD BPs have the INTL label. I corrected my post above.
Old Apr 29, 2018, 3:40 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Thanks .... actually, both the SJU-IAH and IAH-ORD BPs have the INTL label. ...
Meaning the lounge agents overrode the scanner
Definitely, a follow up is needed
Old Apr 30, 2018, 6:14 pm

Wife is *G (UA Platinum). Today, she flew SJU-IAH-ORD, On the long-ish layover connecting at IAH, she was denied access to the United Club in IAH, they told her "San Juan is not International". When she showed them the website link (https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...ge/access.aspx) they then said "well, you are flying to Chicago so that is not International". When she tried to point out the phrase "departure airport can be different from that of the United Club location being entered", they said "well, the policy has changed." Lounge entry staff also refused to divulge their names when she asked. (I'm not 100% sure it is one or both of the attendants that denied entry.)

So, has the policy changed? If not, what do you think she should do as far as a letter to UA (or what would YOU do?) Or should she let it go?
Well, she submitted the complaint, got a reply within a few hours. It didn't fully address her issue, so she emailed back. Then, a big surprise, she got a personal phone call this morning from the UA rep handling the matter. Kudos to UA for calling her. Here is what the UA rep said in the phone call and then reiterated subsequent follow-up email:

UA Customer Service rep says: NO ACCESS TO UNITED CLUB ALLOWED for star-gold passengers when travelling to/from SJU (San Juan)

Here is the exact quote from the follow-up email from the UA rep:

UA Customer Service rep wrote:
"The United Club (C-1) in Houston did tell you correctly regarding access on your day of travel. San Juan, Puerto Rico is in International waters, however, is not an International destination as it is a United States Territory that does not require a passport for Citizens of the United States, just a government-issued ID, such as a Drivers License. The INTL is on your boarding pass as an indicator for our gate agents to take a second look at the boarding pass. You also were not
traveling in First Class from San Juan to Houston as your boarding pass showed your seat assignment was <snip>. For additional information on United Club access please use the link to the page. https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...ge/access.aspx"

I'm not sure why the UA rep references sitting in First Class vs. Economy, or the fact that a passport is not required for Puerto Rico, as there is no distinction in the link she cited.

Anyway, so there you have it ... A lounge agent denying access AND a United Customer Service rep confirming it ... Star-gold passengers to/from SJU are not entitled to United Club access.

Of course, that is still not how I think the Access Rules read but there is really nothing more to do on the matter.

Last edited by BangkokTraveler; Apr 30, 2018 at 6:21 pm
Old Apr 30, 2018, 6:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K; National Executive Elite; Hertz PC & Hotels Galore
UA Customer Service rep says: NO ACCESS TO UNITED CLUB ALLOWED for star-gold passengers when travelling to/from SJU (San Juan)
The United Club lounge access site, under *A Gold, UA member (as your wife was), states:
Access requirements and eligibility information

A valid Star Alliance Gold membership card and a same-day boarding pass for travel on an internationalFootnote 1 flight operated by a Star Alliance member airline (departure airport can be different from that of the United Club location being entered)

OR

A same-day boarding pass showing Star Alliance Gold status, for travel on an internationalFootnote 1 flight operated by a Star Alliance member airline (departure airport can be different from that of the United Club location being entered)
Footnote 1 States:

1United Polaris is available on trans-Pacific or trans-Atlantic flights, and on flights from the U.S. to the southernmost South American destinations: Lima, Santiago de Chile, Buenos Aires, Sao Paulo, and Rio de Janeiro. All other international routes are United Business® and include use of the United Club: Guam, Canada, Mexico, Caribbean, Central America, Colombia and Ecuador.

https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...ge/access.aspx

FWIW I'm not seeing where it says travelers on PR flights get lounge access...
Old Apr 30, 2018, 6:28 pm

Originally Posted by onthesam
It is the interpretation that Puerto Rico is in the Caribbean, thus considered INTL as far as United Club access goes. And also, she and I (and many other people posting to this thread) have flown to and from Puerto Rico and US Virgin Islands many times, in economy (or business), and have been granted United Club access 100% of the time. Until now. Perhaps all of the lounge agents just let us all in, even though we were not officially entitled to access the United Club.

If this is the final word from UA, then the Wiki for this thread should be changed. It now reads:

---
From WIKI:
Is Canada, Mexico, Caribbean, Puerto Rico (San Juan), .... international for UC access?
Yes
Quote: Travel to or from Canada, the Caribbean, Central America, Guam and Mexico are considered international itineraries for the purposes of United Club access.
---

Last edited by BangkokTraveler; Apr 30, 2018 at 6:39 pm
Old Apr 30, 2018, 6:56 pm

The quote that you cite (in the Wiki) is outdated - it does not tie back to any current UA info. Current language on UA.com requires a "same day International flight." SJU is not international.

That being said there may be some nonpublic information out there that says San Juan travelers are still allowed UC access so I didn't change the Wiki. Someone who can answer more definitively probably should.
Old Apr 30, 2018, 7:01 pm

San Juan has always qualified as "Caribbean" and access has for years been allowed per this language (from the UA website):

All other international routes are United Business® and include use of the United Club: Guam, Canada, Mexico, Caribbean, Central America, Colombia and Ecuador.
That's why OP's wife's BPs said "International."

I'm not sure why the UA rep references sitting in First Class vs. Economy
Probably because access is technically granted to "Business" class passengers on these non-Polaris routes. It's been a few years since I flew to SJU, so I can't remember if it was previously sold as business.
Old Apr 30, 2018, 7:05 pm

Um... so SJU is domestic while GUM is international?
Old Apr 30, 2018, 7:06 pm

@Kacee:

The wiki/old language was:
Travel to or from Canada, the Caribbean, Central America, Guam and Mexico are considered international itineraries for the purposes of United Club access.
You quote the new language which is:
All other international routes are United Business® and include use of the United Club: Guam, Canada, Mexico, Caribbean, Central America, Colombia and Ecuador.
I notice that one of the differences between old and new is that that the old language spoke to Caribbean being considered international for the purposes of United Club access. The new language makes no reference to considering anything to be international that isn't actually international (except GUM).

Perhaps a rule change? The new language has a different meaning than the old...

EDIT:
It also looks like UA sells premium cabin on the SJU flights as "First" and not "Business." Even though OP's spouse was traveling in Y, the premium cabin distinction may be important. This flight was not a United Business nor a United Polaris flight. I suspect the new access policy requires the underlying flight to offer Business or Polaris service. Dom F service up front = no UC access for UA *G members in Y/F. UA Biz or UA Polaris up front = UC access for UA *G members in Y/F .

Last edited by onthesam; Apr 30, 2018 at 7:15 pm Reason: added "except GUM"; added "EDIT"
Old Apr 30, 2018, 7:12 pm

Perhaps a rule change? The new language has a different meaning than the old...
I don't find the difference in language material. They're both ambiguous in that neither specifically references Puerto Rico as included or excluded.

It's possible though they've changed the rules, perhaps to cut down on entries at EWR, where UC crowding is a particular problem.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.