Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "United Club Access Questions" Thread [ARCHIVE]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 7, 2014, 12:30 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive of older posts, the active thread is Consolidated "United Club Access Questions" Thread

United operates United Clubs in the USA and many international locations -- see United Club and Other United Lounges for a detailed list.

UA's partners and the Star Alliance operates lounges in some of the same airports and many others. See the *A Lounge Finder and *A Lounge Access Policies . Additionally, some airports have "contract" lounges, admission is airport dependent.

United also operates International Global First Lounges and Arrival Lounges. These lounges have different access policy, see the linked threads for more.

To have access to the UCs, you will need to fit into one of the following
  • Be a UC member -- either directly purchased or combined with a credit card (such as Chase MP Club card)
    * UC members can have 2 guests or guest their spouse and dependent children under 21 years - Note at non-UA *A lounges UC members are allowed only 1 guest.
    * The actual UC membership card @ UCs is generally not required if you have a UA BP -- since the UC membership is tied to the MP account
    * Same day BP on ANY airline (arriving or departing)
    * Spousal memberships are available as an extra cost option
  • Be traveling as *G member (see UA *G on domestic-only itinerary limitation) with departing *A BP showing your status while in any cabin
    * Can guest 1 traveler with a departing *A BP.
    * UA *G cannot access domestic UCs unless traveling on a *A international itin (within 24 hours - can be different PNR)
    * If non-UA *G but crediting to UA MP, you will need to present your non-UA *G card. There have been some reports of refused entry -- agents claiming you have to be crediting to the same program as you are requesting entry
  • Be departing that airport in *A International Business or International First (with BP)
    * International First passengers can guest 1 traveler with a departing *A BP. No guests for International Business.
    * UA has an expanded access policy that those traveling same day International Business or International First on UA operated flights can access UCs at any same day connecting airport
  • Premium transcontinental non-stop (EWR-SFO/LAX & BOS-SFO) business class traveler
    * Limited to origin and destination airports of the premium transcontinental flight -- does not include connecting cities
    * No guests
  • Have or purchase a UC one-time access pass
    * No guests
  • Have Amtrak Select Plus or Select Executive status.
    * 1 guest
    * Same day BP on ANY airline (arriving or departing)

When BP/ticket is required, it can be either a paid or award ticket.

United Club T&Cs

Common questions
Children -- Are they counted as a guest?
Anyone with an individual ticket is counted as a guest. Lap children (below 2 years of age) are not counted as a guest. UC members can guest their dependent family at UCs (but this will not work at other *A lounges).

Is Canada, Mexico, Caribbean, Puerto Rico (San Juan), .... international for UC access?
Yes
Travel to or from Canada, the Caribbean, Central America, Guam and Mexico are considered international itineraries for the purposes of United Club access.
What about Domestic First Class?
Domestic First Class is not provided with UC access. Unless you qualify based on some other reason, there is no access for paid or award domestic FC.

Can my guest stay if I leave the lounge?
Strictly speaking, no. Guests only have access when the sponsor is in the lounge. You have "responsibility" for the guest when they are in the lounge. Realistically, however, there is usually no problem with leaving a guest behind.

Can access to the UC be further restricted?
UA reserves the right to limit access including the number of guests at times of crowding.

Can I bring food into the UC?
Strictly speaking no. There may be local health & safety codes against this.

Can I guest 3 co-workers by using multiple access methods? Such as 2 via UC membership and 1 as *G international?
No -- you cannot stack access methods.

Can I access the UC on arrival and no forward *A travel or if departing on a non-*A carrier?
Maybe if UC member or UA *G on international itinerary or arriving on UC operated Polaris cabin itinarary (Alsoyou qill need to able to access to the UC location)
Starting 18 Aug 2016: United Club Access (including members) Only w/ Same-Day BP

Partner lounges
Access / reviews for TK's IAD *A lounge
Consolidated "Access to Lufthansa Lounge at IAD" Thread [2014 forward]
Best IAD Lounge
Lufthansa Lounge Access in DTW/Detroit
Accessing the *A Lounge at LAX/TBIT as a UA flyer
Print Wikipost

Consolidated "United Club Access Questions" Thread [ARCHIVE]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13, 2018, 3:04 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, DL Plat, UA Silver
Lounge guests

Flying in a family of 3 for about 5 years now so I wasn't aware you can no longer bring in 3 guests in addition to me.
I used to guest my Dad, Mom, and Brother when we flew 5 yrs ago. We flew a few times domestically every year.

Did UA change the lounge policy recently or the Presidential Plus card had more guests possible than the United Club Card?
Old Apr 13, 2018, 10:40 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by TennisNoob
Flying in a family of 3 for about 5 years now so I wasn't aware you can no longer bring in 3 guests in addition to me.
I used to guest my Dad, Mom, and Brother when we flew 5 yrs ago. We flew a few times domestically every year.

Did UA change the lounge policy recently or the Presidential Plus card had more guests possible than the United Club Card?
As a UC member, you can have 2 guests or dependent family members (including spouse/partner) BUT not both. Been that way (for UA) for decades and post-merger. pmCO may have had different rules.
Old Apr 14, 2018, 4:25 pm

Programs: AA EXP and 1MM, UA 1K, HH Lifetime Diamond
I have separate tickets, both booked through United.

First ticket is: Taipei (TPE)- Narita(NRT) on ANA metal in business, connecting to UA78 (United metal and flight number) in business from NRT to EWR which arrives at 4:45 PM

2ND ticket is EWR- RDU in First at 9:30 PM same day.

Will I have lounge access in EWR based on my UA78 in business and same day travel on UA meal to RDU (but on a separat PNR/ticket)?

Thanks for any insight - I read the Loung Access Rules on United site and Star Alliance site and the answer was not clear.
Old Apr 14, 2018, 4:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by DevilDawg1960
I have separate tickets, both booked through United.

First ticket is: Taipei (TPE)- Narita(NRT) on ANA metal in business, connecting to UA78 (United metal and flight number) in business from NRT to EWR which arrives at 4:45 PM

2ND ticket is EWR- RDU in First at 9:30 PM same day.

Will I have lounge access in EWR based on my UA78 in business and same day travel on UA meal to RDU (but on a separat PNR/ticket)?

Thanks for any insight - I read the Loung Access Rules on United site and Star Alliance site and the answer was not clear.

You have access at EWR based on NRT-EWR arrival on United. That's all that's needed. Don't even show RDU BP at Club - it has no bearing on access and it'll just provide opportunity for agent to screw up.
Old Apr 14, 2018, 6:16 pm

Programs: AA EXP and 1MM, UA 1K, HH Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
You have access at EWR based on NRT-EWR arrival on United. That's all that's needed. Don't even show RDU BP at Club - it has no bearing on access and it'll just provide opportunity for agent to screw up.
Thank you for the reply. When you arrive in EWR international connecting to domestic you exit the secure area of the airport and have to renter with boarding-pass and ID. I thought that access at EWR based on incoming flight would only be to an “arrivals” lounge not the lounges in the secure area. Can you point me to any UA documentation that supports this that I can show the agents at the UC?

I was actually denied entrance today on this set of flights. Not a horrible outcome as lounges here at EWR are not that great, but for future flights I want to make sure that understand what I am entitled to and can back it up with references to UA/Star Alliance policy.

Thanks again
Old Apr 14, 2018, 6:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thank you for the reply. When you arrive in EWR international connecting to domestic you exit the secure area of the airport and have to renter with boarding-pass and ID. I thought that access at EWR based on incoming flight would only be to an “arrivals” lounge not the lounges in the secure area. Can you point me to any UA documentation that supports this that I can show the agents at the UC?

I was actually denied entrance today on this set of flights. Not a horrible outcome as lounges here at EWR are not that great, but for future flights I want to make sure that understand what I am entitled to and can back it up with references to UA/Star Alliance policy.

Thanks again
From: https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...ge/access.aspx

"Customers in United Polaris business class may access United Club locations at departure, connecting and arrival airports along their eligible same-day routing".

Taking off from Narita one day, arriving next day is considered "same day". Arrival on United metal in Polaris Business gets you access at any United Club downstream (provided you have means to access Club post-security, which RDU BP allows). EWR agents should be well-versed in this. Surprised you had trouble. If you had arrived on any other metal other than United's, you would not get access based solely on NRT-EWR fight.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Apr 14, 2018 at 7:20 pm Reason: repaired quote
Old Apr 14, 2018, 6:58 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
EWR has signs up saying they aren’t taking Chase passes because of the construction. I could imagine they are suspending the arrivals aspect as well?
I’m also going to assume the OP had a BP printed on NH paper, maybe they saw that and didn’t look closer?
Old Apr 14, 2018, 7:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks again

Just a note: there is no 'arrivals lounge' at EWR outside of the secure area (the only domestic one is at SFO). The link IAH-OIL-TRASH provided gives the full UA policy, which clearly states your UA-metal EWR-NRT boarding pass should give you access to the Club, presuming you can get airside (which you did).
Old Apr 14, 2018, 11:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I was actually denied entrance today on this set of flights.
Your inbound UA Polaris BP should have gotten you access. But the separate tix gave the EWR agents a bogus excuse for wrongful denial.

Originally Posted by JVPhoto
I could imagine they are suspending the arrivals aspect as well?
No it was just agent error.
Old Apr 15, 2018, 4:17 am

Programs: Ice Cream Club, AC SE MM, Bonvoy Life Plat
Just arrived in ORD concourse C UC on F itinerary going to Canada (International, not polaris). When checking in, there was another fellow being denied access, but I believe he was originating ORD and on a UA flight. As a Platinum Elite, do I not have the ability to guest him?

Agent said I am entitled to a, but the guest must be travelling "with me". However I see no such stipulation on https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...ge/access.aspx

Poor dude had a suiter and I think just wanted somewhere to sit and have a coffee...
Old Apr 15, 2018, 7:40 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by DrunkCargo
Agent said I am entitled to a, but the guest must be travelling "with me". However I see no such stipulation on https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...ge/access.aspx
Requirement is that the guest be departing on a *A flight. Agents have been known to make up rules to deny guest access when you try to guest in a pax right there at the counter.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 1:35 pm

Booked the following on the same ticket:

LH FRA - BOS 11 May
departure: 1:05 pm, 11 May
arrival: 3:00 pm, 11 May

UA 538 BOS - LAX, 12 May
departure: 10:45 am, 12 May
arrival: 2:05 pm, 12 May

Flying Economy, but UA Premier Gold status cardholder. Time from arrival to departure is less than 24 hours.

United itself states, that UA Club access would only be granted for "same day boarding pass for travel on an international flight [...]". Is it still correct, that same day is actually 24 hours so that I should still get access to the UA Club in BOS?

Hypothetical question:
FRA - BOS, 11 May
BOS - SFO, 12 May
SFO - LAX, 13 May
(all on the same ticket)

In this case, I should be able to access the club in BOS, but not in SFO?
Old Apr 16, 2018, 1:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by delpiero223
Booked the following on the same ticket:

LH FRA - BOS 11 May
departure: 1:05 pm, 11 May
arrival: 3:00 pm, 11 May

UA 538 BOS - LAX, 12 May
departure: 10:45 am, 12 May
arrival: 2:05 pm, 12 May

Flying Economy, but UA Premier Gold status cardholder.

United itself states, that UA Club access would only be granted for "same day boarding pass for travel on an international flight [...]". However I've read, that same day defines as 24 hours from current time. Is that still correct, so that I should still get access to the UA Club in BOS?
Should be OK to enter, especially if you can get your BOS-LAX boarding pass with INTL on the top or on LH cardstock.

edit: re: hypothetical: if those were all on the same ticket all points should have access
Old Apr 17, 2018, 11:53 am

UA definition of international flight?

Anybody know how UA defines an "international flight?" Do US overseas territory destinations count, but not states like Alaska/Hawaii?
I'm wondering if I'll have HKG lounge access as *G when doing SFO-HKG-GUM, complete with immigration controls. What about HNL-GUM?
I vaguely remember EWR-SJU boarding passes being labeled international with no immigration controls.
Thanks

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Apr 17, 2018 at 1:07 pm Reason: mergered into master thread
Old Apr 17, 2018, 12:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
SFO-HKG-GUM are both international flights, and qualify for lounge access.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.