Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "United Club Access Questions" Thread [ARCHIVE]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 7, 2014, 12:30 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive of older posts, the active thread is Consolidated "United Club Access Questions" Thread

United operates United Clubs in the USA and many international locations -- see United Club and Other United Lounges for a detailed list.

UA's partners and the Star Alliance operates lounges in some of the same airports and many others. See the *A Lounge Finder and *A Lounge Access Policies . Additionally, some airports have "contract" lounges, admission is airport dependent.

United also operates International Global First Lounges and Arrival Lounges. These lounges have different access policy, see the linked threads for more.

To have access to the UCs, you will need to fit into one of the following
  • Be a UC member -- either directly purchased or combined with a credit card (such as Chase MP Club card)
    * UC members can have 2 guests or guest their spouse and dependent children under 21 years - Note at non-UA *A lounges UC members are allowed only 1 guest.
    * The actual UC membership card @ UCs is generally not required if you have a UA BP -- since the UC membership is tied to the MP account
    * Same day BP on ANY airline (arriving or departing)
    * Spousal memberships are available as an extra cost option
  • Be traveling as *G member (see UA *G on domestic-only itinerary limitation) with departing *A BP showing your status while in any cabin
    * Can guest 1 traveler with a departing *A BP.
    * UA *G cannot access domestic UCs unless traveling on a *A international itin (within 24 hours - can be different PNR)
    * If non-UA *G but crediting to UA MP, you will need to present your non-UA *G card. There have been some reports of refused entry -- agents claiming you have to be crediting to the same program as you are requesting entry
  • Be departing that airport in *A International Business or International First (with BP)
    * International First passengers can guest 1 traveler with a departing *A BP. No guests for International Business.
    * UA has an expanded access policy that those traveling same day International Business or International First on UA operated flights can access UCs at any same day connecting airport
  • Premium transcontinental non-stop (EWR-SFO/LAX & BOS-SFO) business class traveler
    * Limited to origin and destination airports of the premium transcontinental flight -- does not include connecting cities
    * No guests
  • Have or purchase a UC one-time access pass
    * No guests
  • Have Amtrak Select Plus or Select Executive status.
    * 1 guest
    * Same day BP on ANY airline (arriving or departing)

When BP/ticket is required, it can be either a paid or award ticket.

United Club T&Cs

Common questions
Children -- Are they counted as a guest?
Anyone with an individual ticket is counted as a guest. Lap children (below 2 years of age) are not counted as a guest. UC members can guest their dependent family at UCs (but this will not work at other *A lounges).

Is Canada, Mexico, Caribbean, Puerto Rico (San Juan), .... international for UC access?
Yes
Travel to or from Canada, the Caribbean, Central America, Guam and Mexico are considered international itineraries for the purposes of United Club access.
What about Domestic First Class?
Domestic First Class is not provided with UC access. Unless you qualify based on some other reason, there is no access for paid or award domestic FC.

Can my guest stay if I leave the lounge?
Strictly speaking, no. Guests only have access when the sponsor is in the lounge. You have "responsibility" for the guest when they are in the lounge. Realistically, however, there is usually no problem with leaving a guest behind.

Can access to the UC be further restricted?
UA reserves the right to limit access including the number of guests at times of crowding.

Can I bring food into the UC?
Strictly speaking no. There may be local health & safety codes against this.

Can I guest 3 co-workers by using multiple access methods? Such as 2 via UC membership and 1 as *G international?
No -- you cannot stack access methods.

Can I access the UC on arrival and no forward *A travel or if departing on a non-*A carrier?
Maybe if UC member or UA *G on international itinerary or arriving on UC operated Polaris cabin itinarary (Alsoyou qill need to able to access to the UC location)
Starting 18 Aug 2016: United Club Access (including members) Only w/ Same-Day BP

Partner lounges
Access / reviews for TK's IAD *A lounge
Consolidated "Access to Lufthansa Lounge at IAD" Thread [2014 forward]
Best IAD Lounge
Lufthansa Lounge Access in DTW/Detroit
Accessing the *A Lounge at LAX/TBIT as a UA flyer
Print Wikipost

Consolidated "United Club Access Questions" Thread [ARCHIVE]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 15, 2017, 10:34 am

Programs: UA 1K & 1MM, HH Diamond, Marriott/SPG Gold (UA comp)
Originally Posted by Kacee
Must be UA operated.
If UA-operated and connector out of LAX is in only in Y, they won't get access either, correct?
Old Oct 15, 2017, 10:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by weezl
If UA-operated and connector out of LAX is in only in Y, they won't get access either, correct?
United provides UC access to customers arriving on UA-operated int'l Business or Polaris. Onward flight doesn't matter - could be Frontier in cargo hold.
Old Oct 16, 2017, 2:33 am

Programs: LH-SEN, DL-Platinum
*G Access

I am *G (on LH) and am flying FRA-ORD-MSP-LSE (FRA-ORD on LH, ORD-MSP on UA, MSP-LSE on AA).

I know I'll gain access to the UA lounge in ORD. Can I access the UA lounge in MSP? In the past I've often used the UA lounge in EWR upon arrival (on UA domestic). Has UA/*A changed the rules for accessing upon arrivals?
Old Oct 16, 2017, 2:36 am

Programs: OZ Diamond (*G), KQ Asante Gold (ST+), Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by econprof
I am *G (on LH) and am flying FRA-ORD-MSP-LSE (FRA-ORD on LH, ORD-MSP on UA, MSP-LSE on AA).

I know I'll gain access to the UA lounge in ORD. Can I access the UA lounge in MSP? In the past I've often used the UA lounge in EWR upon arrival (on UA domestic). Has UA/*A changed the rules for accessing upon arrivals?
Only if in J on the FRA-ORD UA flight. Otherwise no, since you're departing on AA and only J arrivals on a UA long-haul get access.
Old Oct 16, 2017, 9:50 am
formerly 1984SW

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by 1984SW
I'm flying NRT-LAX on a UA code-share (NH metal) in J and connecting to a domestic UAX flight. I'm not *G nor do I have a MP Club card or membership. Will I have access to the UC in LAX, based on the inbound UA flight number, or does it need to be inbound UA metal?
Originally Posted by Kacee
Must be UA operated.
Originally Posted by weezl
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
United provides UC access to customers arriving on UA-operated int'l Business or Polaris. Onward flight doesn't matter - could be Frontier in cargo hold.
Thanks for confirming what I assumed would be the case. I had optimistically hoped that it was not the case. Thanks to an involuntary re-route, I now have a 4h50m LAX layover and no UC access to ease the pain.
Old Oct 16, 2017, 1:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by econprof

No, you do not have lounge access in MSP as you are not departing on *A. Arrival access is only granted if flying in int'l J or F on United metal, flying p.s. J on United metal (p.s. endpoint only), or if UA*G and flying internationally.

Originally Posted by zeer0
Only if in J on the FRA-ORD UA flight. Otherwise no, since you're departing on AA and only J arrivals on a UA long-haul get access.
Not even if FRA-ORD is in J, since it's on LH metal.
Old Oct 17, 2017, 12:57 am

Programs: OZ Diamond (*G), KQ Asante Gold (ST+), Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by findark
No, you do not have lounge access in MSP as you are not departing on *A. Arrival access is only granted if flying in int'l J or F on United metal, flying p.s. J on United metal (p.s. endpoint only), or if UA*G and flying internationally.

Not even if FRA-ORD is in J, since it's on LH metal.
Yes, that's why I said FRA-ORD UA flight
Old Oct 18, 2017, 6:30 pm

Programs: United Premier
Can I bring a guest? - DEN to EWR to CDG; CDG to IAD to DEN

Hey all

This is my first post. I've looked through previous responses and I'm unsure of the answer so I apologize for asking something if you feel it has been answered.

I'm United Platinum, traveling DEN to EWR to CDG; CDG to IAD to DEN. I'll be flying Domestic First and United Polaris Business International. I know I have access to the UC in US and Star Alliance in Paris. I've flown this many times.

My husband, who's a mere plebeian with no status (kidding), is on a different booking code and booked in economy. I used miles to try and upgrade his economy ticket we paid cash for, but he's on 'upgrade requested' status and still set to fly in the way back. We don't leave until early November, so fingers crossed.

Anyhow, my question is, what clubs can I bring him into with me if things stay like they are? If he's upgraded, is he allowed in on his own? (That sounded weird ,))

Also I do have a few club passes, worst case. I like to be prepared with all options.

Thanks!
Old Oct 18, 2017, 6:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by JFADawson
Hey all

This is my first post. I've looked through previous responses and I'm unsure of the answer so I apologize for asking something if you feel it has been answered.

I'm United Platinum, traveling DEN to EWR to CDG; CDG to IAD to DEN. I'll be flying Domestic First and United Polaris Business International. I know I have access to the UC in US and Star Alliance in Paris. I've flown this many times.

My husband, who's a mere plebeian with no status (kidding), is on a different booking code and booked in economy. I used miles to try and upgrade his economy ticket we paid cash for, but he's on 'upgrade requested' status and still set to fly in the way back. We don't leave until early November, so fingers crossed.

Anyhow, my question is, what clubs can I bring him into with me if things stay like they are? If he's upgraded, is he allowed in on his own? (That sounded weird ,))

Also I do have a few club passes, worst case. I like to be prepared with all options.

Thanks!
Hello JFADawson, welcome to FlyerTalk!

As a United Premier Platinum (UA*G) traveling on an international itinerary, you and one guest may access United Clubs at any point during your trip.

As a Star Alliance Gold (*G) you and one guest may access any Star Alliance Gold lounge at any airport* in which you are both departing on a Star Alliance flight (any class of service, and you guest needn't even be on your flight).

If your husband is upgraded, then as a pax ticketed in Polaris on United, he would be entitled to access United Clubs at all points on the journey, and any Star Alliance Business Class lounge at the departure airport of the UA Polaris segment only.

Hope this helps!

*excepting UA*G into a UA lounge on a domestic UA ticket (not applicable to you)
Old Oct 18, 2017, 7:22 pm

Programs: United Premier
Originally Posted by findark
Hello JFADawson, welcome to FlyerTalk!

As a United Premier Platinum (UA*G) traveling on an international itinerary, you and one guest may access United Clubs at any point during your trip.

As a Star Alliance Gold (*G) you and one guest may access any Star Alliance Gold lounge at any airport* in which you are both departing on a Star Alliance flight (any class of service, and you guest needn't even be on your flight).

If your husband is upgraded, then as a pax ticketed in Polaris on United, he would be entitled to access United Clubs at all points on the journey, and any Star Alliance Business Class lounge at the departure airport of the UA Polaris segment only.

Hope this helps!

*excepting UA*G into a UA lounge on a domestic UA ticket (not applicable to you)

Very much! Thank you!
Old Oct 21, 2017, 10:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
I'm flying LGA-IAH-Central America with a forced overnight in IAH due to flight schedules for my destination. I have a 15+ hour layover in IAH (will be leaving the airport to see friends).

I thought I should get lounge access in LGA because I'm on an international ticket but I wasn't sure so I called GS. She wasn't sure either so she called the lounge at LGA directly. The lady at the lounge said they would normally not let me in because I'm not flying the international leg until tomorrow but that they will make an exception for me today and let me in.

Is there an official policy about lounge access when you're on a forced long layover and the first leg is domestic but the second/international leg doesn't actually happen until the next calendar day?

Thanks,
RM
PS - thank you GS status for them making the exception.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Oct 22, 2017 at 1:31 pm Reason: merge into this thread
Old Oct 21, 2017, 12:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RobOnLI
Is there an official policy about lounge access when you're on a forced long layover and the first leg is domestic but the second/international leg doesn't actually happen until the next calendar day?
The official policy states you have access on a "eligible same-day routing" and does not offer any clarification. Taking a meaning of "same calendar-day" is clearly ridiculous in the case of e.g. a departure at 0015 and a connecting segment leaving at 2030 the day before - you will always get in before the first segment.

I think the most reasonable interpretation is something with no fare breaks nor stopovers before the segment granting access, but this is something you may have to argue with each individual agent.
Old Oct 21, 2017, 12:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
I just got to LGA. The check-in agent also was only able to print my LGA-IAH BP at first which is all I got when I checked in via the mobile app as well. After he typed a few more keys he was able to print a BP to my final destination for the flight departing tomorrow (which is under 24 hours from now).

The agent at the lounge scanned my LGA-IAH BP and let me in without any problems (even though she was expecting me, she said the computer gave her a "yes" for access). Note: my BP *does not* say INTL on it which is odd.

I'm on an award ticket so there are no fare breaks as I only paid the one-way US to C.A. award mileage.

Thanks,
RM
Old Oct 21, 2017, 3:06 pm

If you have *G with United (Platinum), can you access the United Club if you arrived on a UA international flight the day before, but the next day you are leaving on a UA Domestic flight (which is part of the same international UA itinerary and within 24 hours of the international flight) ?

I ask because the wiki says "* UA *G can not access domestic UCs unless traveling on a *A international itin (within 24 hours - can be different PNR)" which would imply that the answer to the question is "yes", so I want to confirm
Old Oct 22, 2017, 1:36 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by bmw303
If you have *G with United (Platinum), can you access the United Club if you arrived on a UA international flight the day before, but the next day you are leaving on a UA Domestic flight (which is part of the same international UA itinerary and within 24 hours of the international flight) ?
If arriving on UA international premium cabin, you will have arrival access.

If *G, you will have access for your departing flight if within 24 hours of an international leg.

For *G, access is based on departure flight, so you will not have access on arrival only.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.