Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "United Club Access Questions" Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Jan 4, 2015, 2:25 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
United operates its own United Clubs worldwide; for a detailed list, see this FT thread: United Club and Other United Lounges.
Official lounge access policy on UA's website: Club access policy
Older archived FT thread: Consolidated "United Club Access Questions" Thread [ARCHIVE]
For UA partner and Star Alliance lounges, reference the *A website: *A Lounge Finder and *A Lounge Access Policies. Note that some airports have "contract" lounges with varying access rules. Also see Non-UA Lounge Access Rules for United Club members?
United also operates Polaris Lounges and Arrival Lounges and previously operated International Global First Lounges (respective FT threads linked).
GS2021 newsresent GS status extended to Jan2022, domestic UC access, additional PP

To have access to the UCs, you will need to fit into one of the following:
  • UC member with same-day UA, *A, or contracted partner BP* UC members can have 2 guests or guest their spouse and dependent children under 21 years (note at non-UA *A lounges, UC members are allowed only 1 guest)
    * Since 1 Nov 2019, a same-day BP on a UA, *A, or contracted partner flight is required for entry
    * Actual UC membership card is generally not required at UCs if presenting a UA BP with member's UA FF# as the UC membership is tied to the MP account
  • UA *G member with international *A BP, for any class of travel, showing status
    * Can guest 1 traveler with a departing *A BP.
    * UA *G cannot access domestic UCs unless traveling on a *A international itin (within 24 hours - some agents use same calendar day) - can be different PNR
  • non-UA *G member with same-day *A BP for a flight departing from the same airport, showing status
    * Can guest 1 traveler with a departing *A BP from same airport.
    * If non-UA *G but crediting to UA MP, you will need to present your non-UA *G card. There have been some reports of refused entry -- agents claiming you have to be crediting to the same program as you are requesting entry
  • passenger with same-day *A BP for international travel in business or first class, departing same airport
    * International First passengers can guest 1 traveler with a departing *A BP
    * No guests for International Business.
  • Premium transcontinental non-stop (EWR-SFO/LAX & BOS-SFO) business class traveler
    * Limited to origin and destination airports of the premium transcontinental flight -- does not include connecting cities
    * No guests
  • Have GS status with a same day BP (UA/partner carrier)
    • No guests
  • Have or purchase a UC one-time access pass with same day BP
    * No guests
  • Have Amtrak Select Plus or Select Executive status.
    * 1 guest and/or dependent childern under 21
    * Same day BP on ANY airline (arriving or departing)
  • Active U.S. military personnelActive duty military members with a valid military ID, boarding pass for travel within 24 hours on a United- or United Express-operated flight and one of the following:
    Dressed in uniform
    Leave orders
    Rest and recuperation papers
    Access is subject to United Club seating availability.
    Allowed Guest -- Family members with gate passes or traveling on the same flight as the military member
  • Air Canada Maple Leaf™ Club membership with a departing *A BP from that airportMaple Leaf Club North America members can access United Club locations in the U.S. only. no Guest.
    Maple Leaf Club Worldwide members can access all United Club locations. 1 guest.

When BP/ticket is required, it can be either a paid or award ticket.

United Club T&Cs

Common questions
Children -- Are they counted as a guest?
Anyone with an individual ticket is counted as a guest. Lap children (below 2 years of age) are not counted as a guest. UC members can guest their dependent family at UCs (but this will not work at other *A lounges).

Is Canada, Mexico, Caribbean, Puerto Rico (San Juan), .... international for UC access?
Yes
Travel to or from Canada, the Caribbean, Central America, Guam and Mexico are considered international itineraries for the purposes of United Club access.
What about Domestic First Class?
Domestic First Class is not provided with UC access. Unless you qualify based on some other reason, there is no access for paid or award domestic FC.
Why no United Lounge access with UA domestic first class tickets?

Can my guest stay if I leave the lounge?
Strictly speaking, no. Guests only have access when the sponsor is in the lounge. You have "responsibility" for the guest when they are in the lounge. Realistically, however, there is usually no problem with leaving a guest behind.

Can access to the UC be further restricted?
UA reserves the right to limit access including the number of guests at times of crowding.

Can I bring food into the UC?
Strictly speaking no. There may be local health & safety codes against this.

Can I guest 3 co-workers by using multiple access methods? Such as 2 via UC membership and 1 as *G international?
No -- you cannot stack access methods.

Can I access the UC on arrival and no forward *A travel or if departing on a non-*A carrier?
Maybe if UC member or UA *G on international itinerary or arriving on UC operated Polaris cabin itinerary (Also you will need to able to access to the UC location)
As of 1 Nov 2019 - all will be required to will need to provide a same-day boarding pass for travel on United, Star Alliance™ or a contracted partner for entry into all United Club location. Other airline BPs will not qualify
Club member/one-time pass access changes Nov 1, 2019 (same day BP on UA or partner)

Partner lounges
USA Lounges with UA *G / UC membership Access When Flying Domestic
Access / reviews for TK's IAD *A lounge
Consolidated "Access to Lufthansa Lounge at IAD" Thread [2014 forward]
Best IAD Lounge
Lufthansa Lounge Access in DTW/Detroit
Accessing the *A Lounge at LAX/TBIT as a UA flyer

Consolidated "Polaris Lounge Access Questions" Thread
Non-UA Lounge Access Rules for United Club members?
The United Club Meet-Up Thread
Print Wikipost

Consolidated "United Club Access Questions" Thread

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27, 2023, 5:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by nomad420
I assume the Rotunda UC issue is just a temporary thing, is it back open now? Flew out of Term 2 yesterday on AS and used the AS lounge but flying later this week on UA and normally use that UC.
Yes, it was closed only for about an hour.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Mar 2, 2023, 12:23 pm

Hello, I'm pretty sure I have it down correctly but just confirming with more experienced United flyers. Flying SAN-SFO-FRA on one ticket booked through LH in Business. SAN-SFO in UA First but I don't get UC access in SAN right? But I should get Polaris access in SFO based on Business ticket on LH to FRA? Thank you
Old Mar 2, 2023, 12:30 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by golfguy18
Hello, I'm pretty sure I have it down correctly but just confirming with more experienced United flyers. Flying SAN-SFO-FRA on one ticket booked through LH in Business. SAN-SFO in UA First but I don't get UC access in SAN right? But I should get Polaris access in SFO based on Business ticket on LH to FRA? Thank you
Yes (no UC access in SAN) and Yes (Yes, you have PL access in SFO)
Old Mar 2, 2023, 12:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by golfguy18
UC access at SAN if you are Gold status or better. Yes, you do get PL access at SFO due to LF business departure.
Old Mar 2, 2023, 12:32 pm

Great thank you both!
Old Mar 19, 2023, 9:43 am

BOS - Lounge Question

I booked two different tickets. I arrive in Boston at 10AM and won't fly out again till 8PM. I have no checked luggage and its a domestic flight.

If I upgrade my ticket to business class - will I be able to spend the whole day in the lounge? My flights got screwed up.

YYZ - BOS (Ticket 1 AC) // BOS - EWR - ZRH - MALE (Ticket 2 United/Swiss)
Old Mar 19, 2023, 9:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Pilotbg
I booked two different tickets. I arrive in Boston at 10AM and won't fly out again till 8PM. I have no checked luggage and its a domestic flight.

If I upgrade my ticket to business class - will I be able to spend the whole day in the lounge? My flights got screwed up.

Boston is a wonderful city with plenty of things to do. Get on the T and explore!

If you absolutely must stay at the airport, you’d need to upgrade EWR-ZRH in order to get lounge access at BOS. Upgrading BOS-EWR or YYZ-BOS wouldn’t do you any good. You could also buy a United Club pass — UA will sell them for $59, although I believe you can still find them on eBay for about $20.
lsquare likes this.
Old Mar 19, 2023, 9:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If you fly United EWR-ZRH in Polaris Business, you get Lounge access at BOS. Your AC flight is totally irrelevant.

10 hours in the BOS lounge will put you in a coma. Short Blue Line ride into the city to at least get a break.

If you’re talking AC Business, no - you do not get access at BOS solely based on that arrival.
jsloan and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Mar 19, 2023, 9:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
If you fly United EWR-ZRH in Polaris Business, you get Lounge access at BOS. Your AC flight is totally irrelevant.
This. You get UC access in BOS and Polaris Lounge access in EWR if you're in EWR-ZRH United Business. AC flight doesn't matter for UC access.

Haven't a clue if it matters for Maple Lounge access in YYZ if you upgrade that segment.

David
Old Mar 19, 2023, 9:53 am

Originally Posted by jsloan
Boston is a wonderful city with plenty of things to do. Get on the T and explore!

If you absolutely must stay at the airport, you’d need to upgrade EWR-ZRH in order to get lounge access at BOS. Upgrading BOS-EWR or YYZ-BOS wouldn’t do you any good. You could also buy a United Club pass — UA will sell them for $59, although I believe you can still find them on eBay for about $20.
Ahh did not know upgrading BOS - EWR wont allow me access the lounge in BOS. Good to know!

I wished my elderly parents can leave the airport but they would rather stay at a window and look out for 7hrs. Trying to make the wait a little better.
jsloan and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Mar 19, 2023, 9:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Ahh did not know upgrading BOS - EWR wont allow me access the lounge in BOS. Good to know!

I wished my elderly parents can leave the airport but they would rather stay at a window and look out for 7hrs. Trying to make the wait a little better.
Lounge passes at $59 each for 10 hours is a decent deal then. Maybe same cost or cheaper than upgrades anyway.

Maybe even a dayroom at the airport Hilton. 10 hours is a really long time at any United Club.
jsloan, SPN Lifer and Pilotbg like this.

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Mar 19, 2023 at 10:08 am
Old Mar 19, 2023, 1:00 pm

Programs: United, Southwest
There is actually a FREE bus into the city. It stops outside a big shopping mall called Copley Place and you can walk thought there and the Marriott to another mall called the Prudential Center that has a lot of restaurants. Once you get into the mall (very short walk - like 100 feet) everything is covered/inside. The bus is free from the Airport and the same bus is $3 to go back to Boston Logan.

Bus into Boston from Boston Logan - Free and #3
Old Mar 19, 2023, 6:27 pm

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
Originally Posted by WheelsUpGal
There is actually a FREE bus into the city. It stops outside a big shopping mall called Copley Place and you can walk thought there and the Marriott to another mall called the Prudential Center that has a lot of restaurants. Once you get into the mall (very short walk - like 100 feet) everything is covered/inside. The bus is free from the Airport and the same bus is $3 to go back to Boston Logan.

Bus into Boston from Boston Logan - Free and #3
The Silver Line bus leaving Logan to South Station is free as well, and gives free transfer to the subway where you can go just about anywhere in the city. Returning is standard MBTA fare of $2.40.
SPN Lifer and lsquare like this.
Old Mar 21, 2023, 7:23 pm

Programs: AC*SE MM, Accor Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Hello UA Gang! Greetings from AC land :-) I am flying YYC-IAH on UA, with AC *G status - my question pertains to United Club access. I have reviewed the terms on UA's website and am still a bit befuddled by whether I have access to the lounge in Houston on arrival, or only on arrival if I have an onward connection. Thanks for your patience with what I am sure is quite a basic question (and kudos to this particular forum for having a "simple question" thread!)
Old Mar 21, 2023, 8:00 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by politico_pk
whether I have access to the lounge in Houston on arrival, or only on arrival if I have an onward connection.
Tried and did not have access on arrival at DFW as Gold in Biz - nor did I expect it, but thought I'd try

Connection in YYZ was too tight due to late (very late) arrival from YVR, so missed out on MLL there (in fact, if DFW flight was not late as well would not have made it).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.