Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "United Club Access Questions" Thread

Consolidated "United Club Access Questions" Thread

Hide Wikipost
Old Jan 2, 19, 5:20 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Wiki Link
United operates United Clubs in the USA and many international locations -- see United Club and Other United Lounges for a detailed list (Club access policy).
Archive thread - Consolidated "United Club Access Questions" Thread [ARCHIVE]

UA's partners and the Star Alliance operates lounges in some of the same airports and many others. See the *A Lounge Finder and *A Lounge Access Policies . Additionally, some airports have "contract" lounges, admission is airport dependent.

United also operates Polaris Lounges , International Global First Lounges and Arrival Lounges. These lounges have different access policy, see the linked threads for more.

To have access to the UCs, you will need to fit into one of the following
  • Be a UC member -- either directly purchased or combined with a credit card (such as Chase MP Club card)
    * UC members can have 2 guests or guest their spouse and dependent children under 21 years - Note at non-UA *A lounges UC members are allowed only 1 guest.
    * The actual UC membership card @ UCs is generally not required if you have a UA BP -- since the UC membership is tied to the MP account
    * Same day BP on ANY airline (arriving or departing)
    * Spousal memberships are available as an extra cost option
  • Be traveling as *G member (see UA *G on domestic-only itinerary limitation) with international *A BP showing your status while in any cabin
    * Can guest 1 traveler with a departing *A BP.
    * UA *G cannot access domestic UCs unless traveling on a *A international itin (within 24 hours - some agent's use same calendar day, can be different PNR)
    * If non-UA *G but crediting to UA MP, you will need to present your non-UA *G card. There have been some reports of refused entry -- agents claiming you have to be crediting to the same program as you are requesting entry
  • Be departing that airport in *A International Business or International First (with BP)
    * International First passengers can guest 1 traveler with a departing *A BP. No guests for International Business.
    * UA has an expanded access policy for those traveling same day International Business or International First on UA operated flights, they can access UCs at any same day connecting airport (including origin and destination)
  • Premium transcontinental non-stop (EWR-SFO/LAX & BOS-SFO) business class traveler
    * Limited to origin and destination airports of the premium transcontinental flight -- does not include connecting cities
    * No guests
  • Have or purchase a UC one-time access pass with same day BP
    * No guests
  • Have Amtrak Select Plus or Select Executive status.
    * 1 guest and/or dependent childern under 21
    * Same day BP on ANY airline (arriving or departing)
  • Active U.S. military personnel
    Active duty military members with a valid military ID, boarding pass for travel within 24 hours on a United- or United Express-operated flight and one of the following:
    Dressed in uniform
    Leave orders
    Rest and recuperation papers
    Access is subject to United Club seating availability.
    Allowed Guest -- Family members with gate passes or traveling on the same flight as the military member
  • Air Canada Maple Leaf™ Club membership with a departing *A BP from that airport
    Maple Leaf Club North America members can access United Club locations in the U.S. only. no Guest.
    Maple Leaf Club Worldwide members can access all United Club locations. 1 guest.

When BP/ticket is required, it can be either a paid or award ticket.

United Club T&Cs

Common questions
Children -- Are they counted as a guest?
Anyone with an individual ticket is counted as a guest. Lap children (below 2 years of age) are not counted as a guest. UC members can guest their dependent family at UCs (but this will not work at other *A lounges).

Is Canada, Mexico, Caribbean, Puerto Rico (San Juan), .... international for UC access?
Yes
Travel to or from Canada, the Caribbean, Central America, Guam and Mexico are considered international itineraries for the purposes of United Club access.
What about Domestic First Class?
Domestic First Class is not provided with UC access. Unless you qualify based on some other reason, there is no access for paid or award domestic FC.

Can my guest stay if I leave the lounge?
Strictly speaking, no. Guests only have access when the sponsor is in the lounge. You have "responsibility" for the guest when they are in the lounge. Realistically, however, there is usually no problem with leaving a guest behind.

Can access to the UC be further restricted?
UA reserves the right to limit access including the number of guests at times of crowding.

Can I bring food into the UC?
Strictly speaking no. There may be local health & safety codes against this.

Can I guest 3 co-workers by using multiple access methods? Such as 2 via UC membership and 1 as *G international?
No -- you cannot stack access methods.

Can I access the UC on arrival and no forward *A travel or if departing on a non-*A carrier?
Maybe if UC member or UA *G on international itinerary or arriving on UC operated Polaris cabin itinerary (Also you will need to able to access to the UC location)
Starting 18 Aug 2016: United Club Access (including members) Only w/ Same-Day BP
This is be modified 1 Nov 2019 - all will be required to will need to provide a same-day boarding pass for travel on United, Star Alliance™ or a contracted partner for entry into all United Club location. Other airline BPs will not qualify
Club member/one-time pass access changes Nov 1, 2019 (same day BP on UA or partner)

Partner lounges
Access / reviews for TK's IAD *A lounge
Consolidated "Access to Lufthansa Lounge at IAD" Thread [2014 forward]
Best IAD Lounge
Lufthansa Lounge Access in DTW/Detroit
Accessing the *A Lounge at LAX/TBIT as a UA flyer

Consolidated "Polaris Lounge Access Questions" Thread
Non-UA Lounge Access Rules for United Club members?
Print Wikipost

Old Oct 21, 17, 11:43 am

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Silver (1MM), Marriott Plat Premier
I'm flying LGA-IAH-Central America with a forced overnight in IAH due to flight schedules for my destination. I have a 15+ hour layover in IAH (will be leaving the airport to see friends).

I thought I should get lounge access in LGA because I'm on an international ticket but I wasn't sure so I called GS. She wasn't sure either so she called the lounge at LGA directly. The lady at the lounge said they would normally not let me in because I'm not flying the international leg until tomorrow but that they will make an exception for me today and let me in.

Is there an official policy about lounge access when you're on a forced long layover and the first leg is domestic but the second/international leg doesn't actually happen until the next calendar day?

Thanks,
RM
PS - thank you GS status for them making the exception.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Oct 22, 17 at 2:31 pm Reason: merge into this thread
Old Oct 21, 17, 1:17 pm

Programs: UA 1K, DL, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by RobOnLI View Post
Is there an official policy about lounge access when you're on a forced long layover and the first leg is domestic but the second/international leg doesn't actually happen until the next calendar day?
The official policy states you have access on a "eligible same-day routing" and does not offer any clarification. Taking a meaning of "same calendar-day" is clearly ridiculous in the case of e.g. a departure at 0015 and a connecting segment leaving at 2030 the day before - you will always get in before the first segment.

I think the most reasonable interpretation is something with no fare breaks nor stopovers before the segment granting access, but this is something you may have to argue with each individual agent.
Old Oct 21, 17, 1:23 pm

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Silver (1MM), Marriott Plat Premier
I just got to LGA. The check-in agent also was only able to print my LGA-IAH BP at first which is all I got when I checked in via the mobile app as well. After he typed a few more keys he was able to print a BP to my final destination for the flight departing tomorrow (which is under 24 hours from now).

The agent at the lounge scanned my LGA-IAH BP and let me in without any problems (even though she was expecting me, she said the computer gave her a "yes" for access). Note: my BP *does not* say INTL on it which is odd.

I'm on an award ticket so there are no fare breaks as I only paid the one-way US to C.A. award mileage.

Thanks,
RM
Old Oct 21, 17, 4:06 pm

If you have *G with United (Platinum), can you access the United Club if you arrived on a UA international flight the day before, but the next day you are leaving on a UA Domestic flight (which is part of the same international UA itinerary and within 24 hours of the international flight) ?

I ask because the wiki says "* UA *G can not access domestic UCs unless traveling on a *A international itin (within 24 hours - can be different PNR)" which would imply that the answer to the question is "yes", so I want to confirm
Old Oct 22, 17, 2:36 pm
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: UA Gold 1.8MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by bmw303 View Post
If you have *G with United (Platinum), can you access the United Club if you arrived on a UA international flight the day before, but the next day you are leaving on a UA Domestic flight (which is part of the same international UA itinerary and within 24 hours of the international flight) ?
If arriving on UA international premium cabin, you will have arrival access.

If *G, you will have access for your departing flight if within 24 hours of an international leg.

For *G, access is based on departure flight, so you will not have access on arrival only.
Old Oct 22, 17, 3:46 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA View Post
If arriving on UA international premium cabin, you will have arrival access.

If *G, you will have access for your departing flight if within 24 hours of an international leg.

For *G, access is based on departure flight, so you will not have access on arrival only.
Thanks WineCountryUA. Do you know if this is stated on united.com? I've looked and cant find it.
Old Oct 22, 17, 3:55 pm
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: UA Gold 1.8MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
Thanks WineCountryUA. Do you know if this is stated on united.com? I've looked and cant find it.
UCs are departure lounges, the UA premium cabin arrival is really the only exception which it specifically mentions arrival.

You may be successful if you try.
Old Oct 22, 17, 4:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; AS MVPG; Marriott Plat Premier; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Refugeeist
Do you know if this is stated on united.com? I've looked and cant find it.
Yes this is all set forth on the UC access page.

Club & Lounge Access
Old Oct 26, 17, 11:09 am

UA lounge access (Star Alliance Gold flying on United)

I am flying on United (domestic) as a star alliance gold status (from Asiana Airline membership). Can I access the UA lounge? Thank you.

Sorry, did a quick search; but couldn't find the answer.
Old Oct 26, 17, 11:13 am
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Originally Posted by miscsyl View Post
I am flying on United (domestic) as a star alliance gold status (from Asiana Airline membership). Can I access the UA lounge? ...
Yes, if departing that airport on an *A flight.
Old Oct 26, 17, 11:13 am

I am flying on United (domestic) as a star alliance gold status (from Asiana Airline membership). Can I access the UA lounge? Thank you.

Yes, you have access.
Old Oct 26, 17, 11:37 am

Programs: UA GS, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold

Not if you are continuing on with another UA domestic fllight. I know kind of a bummer.
Old Oct 26, 17, 11:47 am

Originally Posted by nomad420 View Post
Not if you are continuing on with another UA domestic fllight. I know kind of a bummer.
I don't believe this is correct.

From UA....
A same-day boarding pass showing Star Alliance Gold status, for travel on a flight operated by a Star Alliance member airline and departing from the same airport
Old Oct 26, 17, 11:50 am

Originally Posted by nomad420 View Post
Since their status is from non-UA, they do get access. It's only for United-awarded *Gs
that it's a bummer.
Old Oct 26, 17, 12:22 pm

Programs: UA GS, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH View Post
Since their status is from non-UA, they do get access. It's only for United-awarded *Gs
that it's a bummer.
Ahh, my bad, I was thinking about the *G since that is what I have. But correct me if I am wrong you have to be departing then on a UA flight (or *A) even if it is a domestic flight.

Search this Thread

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: