Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "United Club Access Questions" Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Jan 4, 2015, 2:25 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
United operates its own United Clubs worldwide; for a detailed list, see this FT thread: United Club and Other United Lounges.
Official lounge access policy on UA's website: Club access policy
Older archived FT thread: Consolidated "United Club Access Questions" Thread [ARCHIVE]
For UA partner and Star Alliance lounges, reference the *A website: *A Lounge Finder and *A Lounge Access Policies. Note that some airports have "contract" lounges with varying access rules. Also see Non-UA Lounge Access Rules for United Club members?
United also operates Polaris Lounges and Arrival Lounges and previously operated International Global First Lounges (respective FT threads linked).
GS2021 newsresent GS status extended to Jan2022, domestic UC access, additional PP

To have access to the UCs, you will need to fit into one of the following:
  • UC member with same-day UA, *A, or contracted partner BP* UC members can have 2 guests or guest their spouse and dependent children under 21 years (note at non-UA *A lounges, UC members are allowed only 1 guest)
    * Since 1 Nov 2019, a same-day BP on a UA, *A, or contracted partner flight is required for entry
    * Actual UC membership card is generally not required at UCs if presenting a UA BP with member's UA FF# as the UC membership is tied to the MP account
  • UA *G member with international *A BP, for any class of travel, showing status
    * Can guest 1 traveler with a departing *A BP.
    * UA *G cannot access domestic UCs unless traveling on a *A international itin (within 24 hours - some agents use same calendar day) - can be different PNR
  • non-UA *G member with same-day *A BP for a flight departing from the same airport, showing status
    * Can guest 1 traveler with a departing *A BP from same airport.
    * If non-UA *G but crediting to UA MP, you will need to present your non-UA *G card. There have been some reports of refused entry -- agents claiming you have to be crediting to the same program as you are requesting entry
  • passenger with same-day *A BP for international travel in business or first class, departing same airport
    * International First passengers can guest 1 traveler with a departing *A BP
    * No guests for International Business.
  • Premium transcontinental non-stop (EWR-SFO/LAX & BOS-SFO) business class traveler
    * Limited to origin and destination airports of the premium transcontinental flight -- does not include connecting cities
    * No guests
  • Have GS status with a same day BP (UA/partner carrier)
    • No guests
  • Have or purchase a UC one-time access pass with same day BP
    * No guests
  • Have Amtrak Select Plus or Select Executive status.
    * 1 guest and/or dependent childern under 21
    * Same day BP on ANY airline (arriving or departing)
  • Active U.S. military personnelActive duty military members with a valid military ID, boarding pass for travel within 24 hours on a United- or United Express-operated flight and one of the following:
    Dressed in uniform
    Leave orders
    Rest and recuperation papers
    Access is subject to United Club seating availability.
    Allowed Guest -- Family members with gate passes or traveling on the same flight as the military member
  • Air Canada Maple Leaf™ Club membership with a departing *A BP from that airportMaple Leaf Club North America members can access United Club locations in the U.S. only. no Guest.
    Maple Leaf Club Worldwide members can access all United Club locations. 1 guest.

When BP/ticket is required, it can be either a paid or award ticket.

United Club T&Cs

Common questions
Children -- Are they counted as a guest?
Anyone with an individual ticket is counted as a guest. Lap children (below 2 years of age) are not counted as a guest. UC members can guest their dependent family at UCs (but this will not work at other *A lounges).

Is Canada, Mexico, Caribbean, Puerto Rico (San Juan), .... international for UC access?
Yes
Travel to or from Canada, the Caribbean, Central America, Guam and Mexico are considered international itineraries for the purposes of United Club access.
What about Domestic First Class?
Domestic First Class is not provided with UC access. Unless you qualify based on some other reason, there is no access for paid or award domestic FC.
Why no United Lounge access with UA domestic first class tickets?

Can my guest stay if I leave the lounge?
Strictly speaking, no. Guests only have access when the sponsor is in the lounge. You have "responsibility" for the guest when they are in the lounge. Realistically, however, there is usually no problem with leaving a guest behind.

Can access to the UC be further restricted?
UA reserves the right to limit access including the number of guests at times of crowding.

Can I bring food into the UC?
Strictly speaking no. There may be local health & safety codes against this.

Can I guest 3 co-workers by using multiple access methods? Such as 2 via UC membership and 1 as *G international?
No -- you cannot stack access methods.

Can I access the UC on arrival and no forward *A travel or if departing on a non-*A carrier?
Maybe if UC member or UA *G on international itinerary or arriving on UC operated Polaris cabin itinerary (Also you will need to able to access to the UC location)
As of 1 Nov 2019 - all will be required to will need to provide a same-day boarding pass for travel on United, Star Alliance™ or a contracted partner for entry into all United Club location. Other airline BPs will not qualify
Club member/one-time pass access changes Nov 1, 2019 (same day BP on UA or partner)

Partner lounges
USA Lounges with UA *G / UC membership Access When Flying Domestic
Access / reviews for TK's IAD *A lounge
Consolidated "Access to Lufthansa Lounge at IAD" Thread [2014 forward]
Best IAD Lounge
Lufthansa Lounge Access in DTW/Detroit
Accessing the *A Lounge at LAX/TBIT as a UA flyer

Consolidated "Polaris Lounge Access Questions" Thread
Non-UA Lounge Access Rules for United Club members?
The United Club Meet-Up Thread
Print Wikipost

Consolidated "United Club Access Questions" Thread

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27, 2023, 10:17 am

Is this a good summary for lounge access?

Is this a good summary?

1. There is no access to UC - even for 1K - on a domestic coast to coast flight within the US...
2. One has to be a *G on a partner airline (for domestic US flights)... or
3. has to buy access to UC (or produce one of those coupons from being an MP Explorer card)
4. For access to United PL, one HAS to be on a long haul international Business Class ticket...

Is that it?
Old Sep 27, 2023, 10:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Skytizen
Is this a good summary?

1. There is no access to UC - even for 1K - on a domestic coast to coast flight within the US...
3. has to buy access to UC (or produce one of those coupons from being an MP Explorer card)
4. For access to United PL, one HAS to be on a long haul international Business Class ticket...

Is that it?
The only exception is that passengers get UC access on business class travel on EWR-SFO/LAX.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Sep 27, 2023, 10:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Is this a good summary?

Is that it?
Well, those in Premium Transcontinental get domestic access. And those connecting to a Polaris flight have access to UCs or PLs on a domestic leg. And UA Gold and better have access to UCs on domestic legs when connecting to a UA int’l flight.
jsloan, SPN Lifer and 8MiHi like this.
Old Sep 27, 2023, 1:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
"Walk of Shame Hall of Fame" candidate. LAX Monday morning. Someone didn't qualify almost got to escalator (maybe he thought it was the exit?). Desk agent (3rd position to north) yelled at him w/ about 10 others present in reception: "Sir! You need to use those doors" (while pointing at doors). About 20 customer eyeballs and 6 more desk agents' watched his exit.
Old Sep 27, 2023, 10:17 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Is this a good summary?

Is that it?
A number of addition common cases have been filled in by other members but for a more complete UC access list consult the wiki of this thread.
For Polaris Lounge, see the wiki of Consolidated "Polaris Lounge Access Questions" Thread
and lets have the PL access discussion in the existing thread.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Sep 29, 2023, 5:06 am

IAD-SJU - First Class
SJU-EWR-IAD First Class
UA Gold

Reading through the thread, I understand I can acccess the UCs both upon departure ( IAD) and connecting upon return ( EWR)? Correct?

I would just need to scan my SJU segments boarding passes ( since Puerto Rico is considered international for the purpose of UC access?)

Thanks
Old Sep 29, 2023, 6:42 am

Originally Posted by Eyefly123
IAD-SJU - First Class
SJU-EWR-IAD First Class
UA Gold

Reading through the thread, I understand I can acccess the UCs both upon departure ( IAD) and connecting upon return ( EWR)? Correct?

I would just need to scan my SJU segments boarding passes ( since Puerto Rico is considered international for the purpose of UC access?)

Thanks
Yes, you should have access to UC when departing at IAD and upon your return at EWR.
Eyefly123 likes this.
Old Oct 2, 2023, 2:35 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Plat; WoH Exp; AS Gold; AA Plat
UC access on domestic 1st segment preceding Biz class flight to MEX

Delete

Last edited by arfaczar; Oct 4, 2023 at 11:29 pm
Old Oct 4, 2023, 11:33 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Plat; WoH Exp; AS Gold; AA Plat
United Club Lounge Access

I had a question regarding UC access in SFO for the following 1-stop itinerary (same reservation):
  • SFO-IAH (First) departing 11pm on Wed
  • IAH-MEX (Business) departing 9am on Thu
Considering that the 1st segment is Domestic First (red-eye) which is technically not on the "same day" as the International Business segment, will a passenger with no elite status be able to access the United Club in SFO on the basis of their connecting flight to MEX on the following morning?
Old Oct 4, 2023, 11:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by arfaczar
I had a question regarding UC access in SFO for the following 1-stop itinerary (same reservation):
  • SFO-IAH (First) departing 11pm on Wed
  • IAH-MEX (Business) departing 9am on Thu
Considering that the 1st segment is Domestic First (red-eye) which is technically not on the "same day" as the International Business segment, will a passenger with no elite status be able to access the United Club in SFO on the basis of their connecting flight to MEX on the following morning?
You should get access at SFO.
Old Oct 5, 2023, 11:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by susiesan
I had a similar situation coming up in January. I return on an ET flight scheduled to arrive ORD at 7:25am to T5. My connection time to a ORD-MCI flight was 1H30 min. Having just done this connection in September coming in from Europe and it taking almost 2 hours to get through customs and get the bags, I changed my flight to the next one leaving at 12:50. Since we are on award tix in J we can have time to visit the Polaris lounge, take aa shower after a 14 hour flight, have breakfast, and not have to rush through O'Hare on a busy Monday morning.

When I did this connection in Sept. a plane had just landed from India. There were over 30 elderly Indians in wheelchairs in the immigration line which was moving at a snails pace. There were only 2 windows for US citizens open, more for foreign passports. It was so screwed up.
Off topic for this thread, but if you are arriving on an ET flight, you will not have access to the Polaris Lounge. To access on arrival, you have to be in United Polaris. Star Alliance J doesn't get access for arrivals, only departures.
Old Oct 5, 2023, 11:20 am

Programs: AA Gold
Originally Posted by goodeats21
Off topic for this thread, but if you are arriving on an ET flight, you will not have access to the Polaris Lounge. To access on arrival, you have to be in United Polaris. Star Alliance J doesn't get access for arrivals, only departures.
As these are award tickets in J from UA I do have access to the Polaris lounge. I have made this connection before, coming from ADD on ET 574 in business class.
Old Oct 5, 2023, 11:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

As these are award tickets in J from UA I do have access to the Polaris lounge.
No, you do not. The fact that they are award tickets in J from UA is irrelevant.
SPN Lifer and hoangtri1 like this.
Old Oct 5, 2023, 11:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
As these are award tickets in J from UA I do have access to the Polaris lounge. I have made this connection before, coming from ADD on ET 574 in business class.
https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...es/access.html

Long-haul international business class on a Star Alliance member airline

Customers may only access a United Polaris lounge at the departure airport for their international business class flight.
Arrival entry to Polaris lounge is for eligible UA operated flights only. Access is based on the operating carrier; how was it ticketed is not a consideration.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Oct 5, 2023, 8:25 pm

Programs: AA Gold
I swear I have accessed the Polaris lounge in ORD on arrival from a ET flight in J. Maybe I'm hallucinating. Will I be able to access a United Club arriving on ET in J? ET does not have a lounce in Chicago. I think I did this coming home from a safari in Namibia in 2021, flying on ET in J.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.