Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Same-Day Travel Change (SDC) Fees/Questions (with Wiki) {Archive}

Old Jan 4, 2015, 2:01 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This wiki was created to distill SDC (and related standby) down to a set of rules in the hopes of benefiting others.

The official "rules" can be found here. In practice, some of the rules almost always apply, and some are more flexible.

Note there have been reports of SDC to one segment removing confirmed CPU upgrades on downline segments. If maintaining the confirmed upgrade is important then these changes should be handled with care.

Most Frequently Asked Question: When do I call/go online to make the change?
Follow this flowchart:
Question 1: Are you within 24 hours of your currently scheduled UA(*) operated flight that you're trying to change off of? If yes, continue to Question 2. If no, continue to answer 1.
Question 2: Are you within 24 hours of the first UA operated flight you're trying to change on to? If yes, continue to to Answer 2. If no, continue to Answer 1.
Answer 1: No, you cannot call/go online yet to make an SDC.
Answer 2: Yes, then you can call/go online to make an SDC.

General Baseline Rules

These are the general rules that usually apply to SDC's; falling outside these rules usually requires payment of a full change fee and the fare difference:
  • The departure time of the first segment of the old itinerary and the departure time of the first segment of the new itinerary must both be within 24 hours of the moment that the change is made.
  • Only applies to UA/UX operated flights, domestic or international. Changing from a non-UA operated to UA operated may be possible.
  • The ultimate origin and destination airports must remain the same.
  • Routing can be changed (addition, deletion, or change of connection points) but the routing rules of the original fare usually apply.
  • All remaining unflown segments in single fared itinerary are considered together (i.e., if you're flying WWW-XXX-YYY-ZZZ, you can go to a kiosk at XXX and potentially fly XXX-AAA-ZZZ or XXX-ZZZ direct).
  • SDC can be done an unlimited number of times, and can therefore be used to extend a trip indefinitely (pending availability).
  • SDC costs $75 for Members and Silvers - the fee is waived for Golds and up (plus any applicable fare difference, see below). *G's may also get free SDC, although there is no mention of this in the official rules. Once in-route, fees for an earlier connecting flight may be waived per GG SDC Line 118.
  • Non-elites on the same PNR benefit from any waived fees for SDC.
  • No fare difference is charged so long as there is availability on all of the new segments in the originally ticketed fare class. Fare class availability in all classes often opens up after T-24 and almost always opens up at T-3 unless the plane is very full.
  • SDC on bulk tickets, including United Specials, is not permitted.
  • SDC is permitted on both domestic and international itineraries.

How to SDC

SDC can be accomplished in a few different places (in rough order of likelihood of being able to get the rules bent):
  • United mobile app
  • Kiosk
  • Phone
  • On united.com, right now only the "Search Other Flight Options" button during On-Line Check-In (OLCI) works. This has spotty availability, particularly if the change would involve paying an additional fare due to fare bucket non-availability.
  • Counter/Gate (although reports are that most airport agents are not familiar with the SDC policy and may not allow you to SDC to a valid itinerary--you can try to direct them to look up GG SDC, but they often won't understand that what you're trying to do is permitted by those rules)
Please note that the United.com change flight link before checking in within T-24, is broken. The website may not show all available options and will often attempt to collect the change fee rather than the SDC fee (if any).

NB: An SDC where the original itinerary (in one direction) has three or more segments cannot be done online.

Nuances and Loose Rules

Now for the hard part: figuring out where the flexibility is in the rules. This list is compiled from the responses to people saying "Can I do X?" where X is something that is not clearly permitted by the rules. One's likelihood of success here depends a bit on the method used for the SDC.

For each item, the following codes apply:
Y = officially permitted and possible using any method
A = not permitted but perhaps possible using an agent (phone/counter), perhaps having to HUACA
A* = mixed reports of success with an agent (phone/counter),
N* = possible only if you find a very accommodating agent
N = little or no reported success.
  • Violating various non-routing fare rules (day/time, minimum stay, etc.): Y
  • Change destination to ultra-close airport (see the old S*FAR/STANDBY): A
  • Change destination to a co-terminal: N*
  • Change destination to an entirely different place: N
  • Change itinerary at the beginning to include illegal layovers (> 4 hours): N*
  • Change itinerary at the layover point (using kiosk, app, or agent) to create an otherwise illegal layover: Y
  • Change itinerary at the beginning to add a layover point not permitted by the routing rules: N*
  • Change itinerary at a layover point to add another layover not permitted (either in terms of number of segments or routing rules) by the routing rules: Y
  • Change to a flight exactly 24 hours before or after the original flight: N*
  • Change to a flight exactly 24 hours before the original flight, if the previous day's flight has been delayed: Y (based on one report)
  • Combining separately-fared segments to do SDC (e.g. XXX-YYY+YYY-ZZZ -> XXX-ZZZ): A
  • Change UA-codeshare, non-UA-metal segment to UA metal: A
  • Change from UA metal to UA-codeshare, non-UA-metal segment: N (see post 1813 for one exception)
  • Change from UA-codeshare, non-UA-metal segment to a different UA-codeshare, non-UA-metal segment: ??
  • Change on a non-UA ticketed segment: N* (with potential dire consequences)
  • Change from an upgraded flight into Y on the new flight: Y
  • Change from a GPU-upgraded flight into J/F on the new flight: A
  • Change from a CPU-upgraded flight and get confirmed into available R space on the new flight: N*
  • Change from an instrument-upgraded flight and get confirmed into available R space on the new flight: A*
  • Non-elite on different PNR benefiting from Elite's waived-fee SDC: A
  • Change at origin airport after tendering a checked bag: N
  • Change at layover airport when a bag has been checked: N

If you encounter issues with an agent (phone or counter/gate), you can ask the agent to reference GG SDC. Additionally, GG SDC line 61 specifically references that fare classes are supposed to level out 3.5 hours before departure, so you might be able to use that to your advantage if fare classes have not leveled out and you're trying to ask an agent to open up the correct inventory or force you onto the flight.

Note -- as of 11/27/2017: A datapoint indicates that UA may have updated its GG rule regarding leveling out to state the following:

Code:
EVERYDAY AWARD AND REVENUE BUCKETS ARE TO LEVEL OUT WITHIN 2H OF DEPARTURE
Standby
You may stand by if seats are not available in the purchased fare class. In these cases, the same-day change fee will apply, but will not be charged unless you are assigned a seat on your alternate flight. Changes in routing are not allowed when standing by. Standby may be requested on the day of departure at an airport kiosk or with a United representative at the airport. Once you are added to the flight standby list, you can check your real-time standby status at united.com/flightstatus or on your mobile device at mobile.united.com/info.

Instead of paying a same-day change discounted fee, can I stand by for my desired flight for free?
No. The only time you may standby for free is when the fare does not have any penalties for making changes, or when standing by involuntarily due to a flight irregularity.

Can I pay the same-day change discount fee with cash?
Cash will only be accepted by a United airport representative when the change is available to be confirmed, not for standby travel.

original posting by mgcsinc, initiated by jackal

Previous threads:
UA Same-Day Travel Change (SDC) Fees/Questions *now with WikiPost* {pre-2015 Archive}
Print Wikipost

UA Same-Day Travel Change (SDC) Fees/Questions (with Wiki) {Archive}

Old Jun 23, 2018, 4:51 am

Programs: United Plat 2MM, Hilton Gold
I was recently offered ORD-LAX-BWI.

Despite appearances, this is not "illogical". It's 3452 extra PQMs out of UA's pocket, which means I make 2MM 3452 miles sooner, costing United 3452 award miles (9x vs 8x multiplier). At 2 cents a mile, United is out $70 for the deal. The ORD-BWI flight was oversold by 1 and it took $800 in travel credits to fix that. (And yes, we can quibble that the $70 isn't really $70 and the $800 isn't really $800, but it makes no difference)
Old Jun 23, 2018, 9:42 am

Programs: UA 1K (Million Miler). AA Gold (lifetime 1 Million). TK Elite Gold
Originally Posted by jsloan

Yes; if there is K space available, you could SDC to the LAX flight. Id do it on the app, personally, but youll likely need to stop by the UA transfer desk anyway to pick up boarding passes.
Good news. Instead of going to lounge, I'll need to go to the transfer desk. If I attempt to do SDC to same day as arrival onto the SFO flight, must ALL segments of the itinerary be available in K basis, or only the TPAC flight. , Thanks again, jsloan.
Old Jun 23, 2018, 12:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cagcag
If I attempt to do SDC to same day as arrival onto the SFO flight, must ALL segments of the itinerary be available in K basis, or only the TPAC flight. , Thanks again, jsloan.
Happy to help.

All segments would need to be available in K.
Old Jun 23, 2018, 12:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Miles Ahead
It's 3452 extra PQMs out of UA's pocket, which means I make 2MM 3452 miles sooner, costing United 3452 award miles (9x vs 8x multiplier).
Not quite. It's 3452 extra PQMs. If you're averaging $0.12 PQD / PQM, which is the number they use for the status thresholds (25K PQM + $3K PQD = Silver, etc), you'd get about 415 additional PQDs while LT Plat vs. LT Gold, so it's an extra 415 miles UA may eventually have to give you.

I'm confused about the oversale, though. They let you SDC for free to avoid an oversale? Why would you do that, instead of taking the travel credit?
Old Jun 23, 2018, 2:44 pm

I'm sufficiently close to 2MM that the regular thresholds don't matter much. And that's one of the easiest things for UA to know. But even at 0.21 per PQD, which is what they are willing to sell them to me at, it's still marginally better for them to have me SDC to a circuitous routing.

I didn't take the travel credit because at the time I checked in I didn't know one would be offered.
Old Jun 23, 2018, 5:13 pm

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
What I've noticed of late is it seems there are SDC options being offered that didn't show up when I booked the trip initially [like SFO and DEN connections for YYZ-CLE, where the booking engine only offered EWR/ORD/IAD, or for my flight tomorrow CLE-IAH-GSP when only ORD and EWR were offered at initial booking.

My two main goals (beyond "getting where I need to go" are adding new lines to my Flight Memory map and collecting PQM [already at 1.5x the 1k PQD for this year, but only 60% of the PQM way there], so these are sorely tempting but each time there has been some external factor making actually taking the SDC not viable.

I'm wondering if there's a maximum permitted mileage rule that the revenue booking engine is enforcing but the SDC engine is ignoring.
Old Jun 24, 2018, 3:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lincolnjkc
I'm wondering if there's a maximum permitted mileage rule that the revenue booking engine is enforcing but the SDC engine is ignoring.
Its not likely MPM specifically, as thats rarely used on UA domestic fares, but rather the routing table for the fare. Its likely a distinction without a difference in this particular case though; the net result is that it seems to be willing to offer connections during SDC that it wouldnt have sold (at that price) originally.
Old Jun 24, 2018, 8:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by jsloan

Its not likely MPM specifically, as thats rarely used on UA domestic fares, but rather the routing table for the fare. Its likely a distinction without a difference in this particular case though; the net result is that it seems to be willing to offer connections during SDC that it wouldnt have sold (at that price) originally.
yup. I do CVG-YYZ a lot, and Im pretty sure the routing rules allow connections only through ORD/IAD/EWR on most (or all) revenue fares. Most city pairs offer a similar kind of thing. But even award is different - Ive done a couple of very last minute weekend awards over the last 2-3 years and snagged awards on connections through IAH - which were the only available flights with seats out of CVG those mornings. Ive also looked at booking multi-city revenue routings via DEN/IAH, and they are always 2-3x more than my regular connection points.
Old Jun 24, 2018, 10:46 am

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by emcampbe

yup. I do CVG-YYZ a lot, and Im pretty sure the routing rules allow connections only through ORD/IAD/EWR on most (or all) revenue fares. Most city pairs offer a similar kind of thing. But even award is different - Ive done a couple of very last minute weekend awards over the last 2-3 years and snagged awards on connections through IAH - which were the only available flights with seats out of CVG those mornings. Ive also looked at booking multi-city revenue routings via DEN/IAH, and they are always 2-3x more than my regular connection points.
I'm pretty sure this (and what @jsloan said) is exactly what's going on. I'm usually buting full fare tickets and the fact that the booking engine has never offered the more "exotic" connections -- at any price -- implies stongly to me that it's not a "fare" issue but a "routing" issue. Of course, you can force it to construct fares by manually specifying the city, but if theres not a valid through fare you're going to wind up with two distinct fares end-on-end which drives the cost way up.

FWIW, my last CLE-ORD-YYZ was something like $2.57/BISM, so it's not like I'm a drain on revenue :-)
Old Jun 24, 2018, 10:48 am

Programs: UA 1K, TK E+, AS MVPG, SPG&Marriott Plat, HHD, Hertz PC
I got offered SFO-EWR-PDX in p.s. while flying on a F SFO-PDX last month. To bad my travel companions didnt want to take the generous offer.
Old Jun 24, 2018, 2:37 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Formerly Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by mdbe
I got offered SFO-EWR-PDX in p.s. while flying on a F SFO-PDX last month. To bad my travel companions didnt want to take the generous offer.
Time to find some new travel companions
Old Jun 24, 2018, 2:53 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Miles Ahead
I was recently offered ORD-LAX-BWI.

Despite appearances, this is not "illogical". It's 3452 extra PQMs out of UA's pocket, which means I make 2MM 3452 miles sooner, costing United 3452 award miles (9x vs 8x multiplier). At 2 cents a mile, United is out $70 for the deal. The ORD-BWI flight was oversold by 1 and it took $800 in travel credits to fix that. (And yes, we can quibble that the $70 isn't really $70 and the $800 isn't really $800, but it makes no difference)
seems to me United got you off the flight for cheap, preventing an oversale by 2 and thereby saving $730.

Old Jun 24, 2018, 5:05 pm

I didn't actually bite, because I needed to be at work the next day, and the $800 offer would have landed me at IAD with a car parked at BWI, so it had its own expenses. But yes, that's my point - an offer that looks illogical might actually be logical.
Old Jun 25, 2018, 5:15 am

Programs: UA MM 1K, AA MM Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
Continuing the list of strange alternatives....

Flying EWR-IAD on a 739. Offered connections (some with layovers as long a 5 hours) in BTV, SAV, and TYS, all on UAX planes.

Also a better MR option EWR-SAN-IAD. The SAN-IAD leg is the redeye, so not a practical alternative for me.
Old Jun 26, 2018, 3:53 pm

Programs: UA GS
I am not sure if I should post this here or in the Global Services Benefits thread. Tomorrow, leaving SMF to ATL, leaving at 6:07 am with a 3.5 hour connection in SFO, fare class K. I was looking to take a later flight but there are no other flights with K class available. There was a later SMF/SFO flgiht flight leaving at 8:44 am that would makes the same connection. If you looked at SMF/SFO only, it showed K class available. However, if you priced out SMF/SFO/ATL, the lowest fare class was S. So, in theory, I shouldn't be able to do a SDC to the later SMF/SFO flight.

I called in anyway and asked the GS agent if I can take the later SMF/SFO flight. She said it was OK and proceeded to make the change. After ticketing the change, I asked if there was anything later than 8:44 am. The agent said there was a 1:29 pm connection via Denver. A few minutes earlier, when checking for SDC options, I saw the lowest fare class for that connection was "W". The agent went ahead with the change and I thanked her for her help.

After checking in, I went online to check my reservation's fare class. It is now "Q"! The only plausible explanation is the agent upgraded my fare class to make this change since I a GS. I will be testing this theory on my return trip (which I will also try to make a SDC).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.