Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Same-Day Travel Change (SDC) Fees/Questions (with Wiki) {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 4, 2015, 2:01 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This wiki was created to distill SDC (and related standby) down to a set of rules in the hopes of benefiting others.

The official "rules" can be found here. In practice, some of the rules almost always apply, and some are more flexible.

Note there have been reports of SDC to one segment removing confirmed CPU upgrades on downline segments. If maintaining the confirmed upgrade is important then these changes should be handled with care.

Most Frequently Asked Question: When do I call/go online to make the change?
Follow this flowchart:
Question 1: Are you within 24 hours of your currently scheduled UA(*) operated flight that you're trying to change off of? If yes, continue to Question 2. If no, continue to answer 1.
Question 2: Are you within 24 hours of the first UA operated flight you're trying to change on to? If yes, continue to to Answer 2. If no, continue to Answer 1.
Answer 1: No, you cannot call/go online yet to make an SDC.
Answer 2: Yes, then you can call/go online to make an SDC.

General Baseline Rules

These are the general rules that usually apply to SDC's; falling outside these rules usually requires payment of a full change fee and the fare difference:
  • The departure time of the first segment of the old itinerary and the departure time of the first segment of the new itinerary must both be within 24 hours of the moment that the change is made.
  • Only applies to UA/UX operated flights, domestic or international. Changing from a non-UA operated to UA operated may be possible.
  • The ultimate origin and destination airports must remain the same.
  • Routing can be changed (addition, deletion, or change of connection points) but the routing rules of the original fare usually apply.
  • All remaining unflown segments in single fared itinerary are considered together (i.e., if you're flying WWW-XXX-YYY-ZZZ, you can go to a kiosk at XXX and potentially fly XXX-AAA-ZZZ or XXX-ZZZ direct).
  • SDC can be done an unlimited number of times, and can therefore be used to extend a trip indefinitely (pending availability).
  • SDC costs $75 for Members and Silvers - the fee is waived for Golds and up (plus any applicable fare difference, see below). *G's may also get free SDC, although there is no mention of this in the official rules. Once in-route, fees for an earlier connecting flight may be waived per GG SDC Line 118.
  • Non-elites on the same PNR benefit from any waived fees for SDC.
  • No fare difference is charged so long as there is availability on all of the new segments in the originally ticketed fare class. Fare class availability in all classes often opens up after T-24 and almost always opens up at T-3 unless the plane is very full.
  • SDC on bulk tickets, including United Specials, is not permitted.
  • SDC is permitted on both domestic and international itineraries.

How to SDC

SDC can be accomplished in a few different places (in rough order of likelihood of being able to get the rules bent):
  • United mobile app
  • Kiosk
  • Phone
  • On united.com, right now only the "Search Other Flight Options" button during On-Line Check-In (OLCI) works. This has spotty availability, particularly if the change would involve paying an additional fare due to fare bucket non-availability.
  • Counter/Gate (although reports are that most airport agents are not familiar with the SDC policy and may not allow you to SDC to a valid itinerary--you can try to direct them to look up GG SDC, but they often won't understand that what you're trying to do is permitted by those rules)
Please note that the United.com “change flight” link before checking in within T-24, is broken. The website may not show all available options and will often attempt to collect the change fee rather than the SDC fee (if any).

NB: An SDC where the original itinerary (in one direction) has three or more segments cannot be done online.

Nuances and Loose Rules

Now for the hard part: figuring out where the flexibility is in the rules. This list is compiled from the responses to people saying "Can I do X?" where X is something that is not clearly permitted by the rules. One's likelihood of success here depends a bit on the method used for the SDC.

For each item, the following codes apply:
Y = officially permitted and possible using any method
A = not permitted but perhaps possible using an agent (phone/counter), perhaps having to HUACA
A* = mixed reports of success with an agent (phone/counter),
N* = possible only if you find a very accommodating agent
N = little or no reported success.
  • Violating various non-routing fare rules (day/time, minimum stay, etc.): Y
  • Change destination to ultra-close airport (see the old S*FAR/STANDBY): A
  • Change destination to a co-terminal: N*
  • Change destination to an entirely different place: N
  • Change itinerary at the beginning to include illegal layovers (> 4 hours): N*
  • Change itinerary at the layover point (using kiosk, app, or agent) to create an otherwise illegal layover: Y
  • Change itinerary at the beginning to add a layover point not permitted by the routing rules: N*
  • Change itinerary at a layover point to add another layover not permitted (either in terms of number of segments or routing rules) by the routing rules: Y
  • Change to a flight exactly 24 hours before or after the original flight: N*
  • Change to a flight exactly 24 hours before the original flight, if the previous day's flight has been delayed: Y (based on one report)
  • Combining separately-fared segments to do SDC (e.g. XXX-YYY+YYY-ZZZ -> XXX-ZZZ): A
  • Change UA-codeshare, non-UA-metal segment to UA metal: A
  • Change from UA metal to UA-codeshare, non-UA-metal segment: N (see post 1813 for one exception)
  • Change from UA-codeshare, non-UA-metal segment to a different UA-codeshare, non-UA-metal segment: ??
  • Change on a non-UA ticketed segment: N* (with potential dire consequences)
  • Change from an upgraded flight into Y on the new flight: Y
  • Change from a GPU-upgraded flight into J/F on the new flight: A
  • Change from a CPU-upgraded flight and get confirmed into available R space on the new flight: N*
  • Change from an instrument-upgraded flight and get confirmed into available R space on the new flight: A*
  • Non-elite on different PNR benefiting from Elite's waived-fee SDC: A
  • Change at origin airport after tendering a checked bag: N
  • Change at layover airport when a bag has been checked: N

If you encounter issues with an agent (phone or counter/gate), you can ask the agent to reference GG SDC. Additionally, GG SDC line 61 specifically references that fare classes are supposed to level out 3.5 hours before departure, so you might be able to use that to your advantage if fare classes have not leveled out and you're trying to ask an agent to open up the correct inventory or force you onto the flight.

Note -- as of 11/27/2017: A datapoint indicates that UA may have updated its GG rule regarding leveling out to state the following:

Code:
EVERYDAY AWARD AND REVENUE BUCKETS ARE TO LEVEL OUT WITHIN 2H OF DEPARTURE
Standby
You may stand by if seats are not available in the purchased fare class. In these cases, the same-day change fee will apply, but will not be charged unless you are assigned a seat on your alternate flight. Changes in routing are not allowed when standing by. Standby may be requested on the day of departure at an airport kiosk or with a United representative at the airport. Once you are added to the flight standby list, you can check your real-time standby status at united.com/flightstatus or on your mobile device at mobile.united.com/info.

Instead of paying a same-day change discounted fee, can I stand by for my desired flight for free?
No. The only time you may standby for free is when the fare does not have any penalties for making changes, or when standing by involuntarily due to a flight irregularity.

Can I pay the same-day change discount fee with cash?
Cash will only be accepted by a United airport representative when the change is available to be confirmed, not for standby travel.

original posting by mgcsinc, initiated by jackal

Previous threads:
UA Same-Day Travel Change (SDC) Fees/Questions *now with WikiPost* {pre-2015 Archive}
Print Wikipost

UA Same-Day Travel Change (SDC) Fees/Questions (with Wiki) {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3, 2017, 9:06 pm

Programs: UA MP Gold, 1MM, Global Entry
Originally Posted by gary_nj
I guess I confused my question by bringing up SDC. What I was intending was to try to just do old-fashioned standby for the EWR-XXX segment. Does that change any of the opinions? Thanks!
Yes, standby from EWR-XXX is allowed and will not affect XXX-IAH the next day (barring a mistake, which has happened but not common). You will be on the standby waitlist by your elite level and fare class, so naturally to achieve a successful standby there will need to be enough open seats to accommodate any above you on the list before they confirm you and that can change with high tier elites standing by, others doing SDC and MX needing to rebook an entire flight. If you ask They will likely put you on the list when you check your bag as they will check the bag on the earlier flight whether or not you get confirmed on standby at the gate. If you check your bag on your original flight and then ask to be put on standby list at the gate, they might say no as finding your bag and retagging it is not easy. Depends on staff at the airport. I don't expect much from EWR staff...

Best case you get to spend the day at XXX sightseeing. Worst case you sit at EWR for longer than you want waiting for rolling standby lists and pay for a short hotel stay or sleep at the airport, whichever you prefer.
Old Jul 4, 2017, 5:57 am

Programs: United 1K 2 Million Miles, BA Silver, Marriott Platinum Elite, Hyatt Globalist
LHR-IAD-TPA Tomorrow

I am now within 24 hours of original planned departure and need to move my booking in W class back by 24 hours, spoke to agent she said I cannot do this until within 24 hours of the connecting flight even thou W class is available? Is this right as does not seem so? Also as a 1k dont believe I have to pay but she says I will have to pay the difference in fare even thou same class is available?

Appreciate guidance before I call back
Old Jul 4, 2017, 8:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Trappy
I am now within 24 hours of original planned departure and need to move my booking in W class back by 24 hours, spoke to agent she said I cannot do this until within 24 hours of the connecting flight even thou W class is available? Is this right as does not seem so? Also as a 1k dont believe I have to pay but she says I will have to pay the difference in fare even thou same class is available?

Appreciate guidance before I call back
If you're booked in W, as a 1K you should be able to change to another flight in W at no charge, assuming that (a) all flights are UA operated and (b) both your original flight and your desired flight are within 24 hours. If you're connecting -- sounds like you are -- the 24 hour period only refers to the first flight.

However, you generally cannot move a flight by 24 hours, because by the time your target flight is eligible, your original flight would have departed. If there are flights in between, you can change to them with the hope of changing again once your target flight is within the 24 hour window -- but you should be prepared to take the intermediate flight, as your target flight inventory might disappear.

So, it sounds like the agent was telling you that you can't SDC, as your target flight is too far away, and therefore you'd have to pay the change fee plus fare difference. Based on the details you've provided, that appears to be correct.

Last edited by jsloan; Jul 4, 2017 at 8:10 am Reason: update regarding 24 hour move
Old Jul 5, 2017, 1:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
OK... so I ran into the "upgraded" from Y fare issue when trying to do an SDC.

I was booked P outbound in Z inbound, and the ticket noted such. I was able to SDC outbound without issue, and wasn't even charged the fee.

I was completely unsuccessful outbound on the Z fare. I was told that I was "upgraded" from an S fare and since Y was completely sold out, they would not be able to do an SDC unless I paid the fare difference of $2k.

This entire situation is ridiculous... As far as anyone knows, I booked and paid for an F seat. That's what it said on the reservation screens, even though the fare class was not F. How in the world is someone who doesn't know the difference supposed to be able to tell that they're on an upgrade or first class fare sale?

I basically knew it from reading here, but never expected Y to be sold out making it impossible to do the SDC. Earlier in the day, they had opened all fare classes but they sold out before the F seats became available.

Argh....
Old Jul 7, 2017, 8:29 pm

Originally Posted by sincx
I'm considering booking the following trip to get a mini-Hawaii/Japan vacation on the way to China:

SFO-KOA -(23 hour overnight layover)-> KOA-HNL -(14 hour overnight layover)-> HNL-NRT -(21 hour overnight layover)-> HND-SHA

Amazingly, united.com does correctly price this as SFO-SHA.

I would like to SDC the first segment, SFO-KOA, to the morning flight. From the discussion earlier in the thread, it seems that the rules technically would not allow this, since a. this creates a > 24 hr connection, and b. the itinerary includes flights on Hawaiian and ANA.

So two questions:
1. If I went ahead and showed up at the airport at 8 AM with the afternoon flight's boarding pass and ask the counter or gate agent to SDC me onto the morning flight, what would my chances be? Personally, I suspect the counter agent wouldn't do it, but if I go through security using the afternoon flight's boarding pass and talk to the gate agent for the morning flight, I'd have a better shot. But that brings me to question two:
2. If the counter/gate agent does change my SFO-KOA to the morning flight, thus creating a > 24 hr connection in KOA, would this mess up the rest of the ticket?

Any thoughts would be much appreciated!
Just an update on this:

I was able to change my afternoon flight to the morning flight using united.com during online check-in on the day before. $0 and the change went through smoothly. Not sure if it's this particular itinerary, or if having an overnight connection makes the system more flexible.
Old Jul 7, 2017, 8:40 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by sincx
Just an update on this:

I was able to change my afternoon flight to the morning flight using united.com during online check-in on the day before. $0 and the change went through smoothly. Not sure if it's this particular itinerary, or if having an overnight connection makes the system more flexible.
Thanks for the update ^

I find the datapoint very useful, though I will probably never run into that type of situation myself. More knowledge is good.
Old Jul 8, 2017, 4:44 pm

Programs: riding the lifetime status. DL MM / AA MM
I'm on a trip where I've taken the TOD (HOD) on the long leg, and still in W on the short leg. No shock, I am getting no SDC options. The short leg has a TOD available for $79. If I thought being in P the whole way might open up SDC options, I might try it. Anyone ever succeed in doing SDC directly into F after taking the paid upgrade on two connecting legs?
Old Jul 8, 2017, 4:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Seat1A
I'm on a trip where I've taken the TOD (HOD) on the long leg, and still in W on the short leg. No shock, I am getting no SDC options. The short leg has a TOD available for $79. If I thought being in P the whole way might open up SDC options, I might try it. Anyone ever succeed in doing SDC directly into F after taking the paid upgrade on two connecting legs?
I wouldn't recommend this. The fine print for the HOD upgrade states that it's nonrefundable and nontransferable -- if you were to switch to another flight, there's no guarantee that you'd be back in the front.

What are you trying to SDC? If this is a long flight followed by a short flight, and you have no checked luggage, you should be able to SDC the shorter flight after your BP is scanned for the longer flight. If you do have a checked bag, you'd need an agent's intervention upon arriving at the connecting airport.
Old Jul 8, 2017, 5:04 pm

Other way around. Short leg is first. Wouldn't mind flying earlier. Not trying to do anything crazy. Three hours in Newark just doesn't excite me.

I wouldn't change if it wasn't confirmed in F most of the way.

if people had seen this work before, I might try the short leg and see what happens. Worst case I spend $79 on a BOS-EWR upgrade and (probably) 250 PQM.

if it's known not to work, 7F on the 739 is fine with me for 201 miles. (And my originally booked flights are not bad.)

Last edited by Seat1A; Jul 8, 2017 at 5:15 pm
Old Jul 8, 2017, 7:14 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
There is no guarantee the TOD will result a P -- Could be R / ZN / or others.

If it is a true upfare to P, then it is SDCable into another P segment -- assuming other SDC conditions are met.
Old Jul 8, 2017, 11:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
if people had seen this work before, I might try the short leg and see what happens. Worst case I spend $79 on a BOS-EWR upgrade and (probably) 250 PQM.

if it's known not to work, 7F on the 739 is fine with me for 201 miles. (And my originally booked flights are not bad.)
It's definitely not known not to work. It's a somewhat wild shot (as WineCountryUA notes, a P b/c is no guarantee at all). Generally speaking you're not supposed to be able to SDC a TODed ticket, but the computer treats it as a valid fare with a new b/c.

Note though - where in the purchase process are you? A little curious what the fare construction is. But if worst case you're mildly grumpy you spent $79 to upfare BOS-EWR, I'd give it a shot and see what happens. There has been success reported SDCing a single segment TOD buyup.
Old Jul 8, 2017, 11:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by findark
But if worst case you're mildly grumpy you spent $79 to upfare BOS-EWR, I'd give it a shot and see what happens.
I think he has to try it. TOFTT. It's the FT equivalent of hitting 7-7-7 if it works.
Old Jul 9, 2017, 3:27 pm

Originally Posted by findark
Note though - where in the purchase process are you? A little curious what the fare construction is. But if worst case you're mildly grumpy you spent $79 to upfare BOS-EWR, I'd give it a shot and see what happens. There has been success reported SDCing a single segment TOD buyup.
i ended up not doing it, because there was nothing available in P that i wanted today.. i bought a plain W fare BOS-EWR-SLC. i bought the EWR-SLC upgrade at booking, and it showed me in P. so i've been in W BOS-EWR and P EWR-SLC for some time.

as soon as i sat down in 7F on the BOS-EWR flight, i pulled up my reservation for checkin. BOS-EWR was gone, so it was just EWR-SLC in P. the app was allowing SDC on to an EWR-DEN-SLC connection tomorrow morning, keeping me in P. but nothing interesting today.. (would have gladly taken an earlier connection arriving about the same time, just to escape OTG hell..)

(what amazed me is that the flight was F2 and offering a $79 upgrade at T-24. at T-30 minutes, it was still F2, and they rolled the upgrade list. i figured a sunday afternoon flight would get takers at that price..)

Last edited by Seat1A; Jul 9, 2017 at 3:37 pm
Old Jul 13, 2017, 9:20 am

Programs: AC SE
Looking for some experiences on whether it's common to not have SDC options for later flights/following morning. Looking at flying NYC-YYC (routing options typically NYC-ORD-YYC or NYC-DEN-YYC) and may want to change from Saturday evening to Sunday morning/afternoon.

I haven't done SDC's very often, but the few times I've looked, there have always been SOME options offered. If I wanted to change from Saturday evening to a Sunday flight, is it common that there would be NO options for a flight the following day? I know it's certainly possible that there would be no options, but wondering if this would be typical. Fare class would likely be lower economy (but not basic economy). Appreciate any experience with the chances of a later flight on this type of routing.
Old Jul 13, 2017, 9:58 am
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by gcashin
Looking at flying NYC-YYC (routing options typically NYC-ORD-YYC or NYC-DEN-YYC) and may want to change from Saturday evening to Sunday morning/afternoon.
You can also route via IAH, though that is a little longer. Being based in CDN you may appreciate extra EQMs I for one would do YVR via IAH

Originally Posted by gcashin
I haven't done SDC's very often, but the few times I've looked, there have always been SOME options offered. If I wanted to change from Saturday evening to a Sunday flight, is it common that there would be NO options for a flight the following day?
It happens. You need your class in BOTH segments, and it's possible that EWR flights that Sunday are full. Unless something is happening in Calgary that day.

They may be holding back and release more buckets closer to departure, but with overnight / next day change it could be more challenging. But you are stil a couple of days out, so have to wait and see ....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.