Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Same-Day Travel Change (SDC) Fees/Questions (with Wiki) {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 4, 2015, 2:01 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This wiki was created to distill SDC (and related standby) down to a set of rules in the hopes of benefiting others.

The official "rules" can be found here. In practice, some of the rules almost always apply, and some are more flexible.

Note there have been reports of SDC to one segment removing confirmed CPU upgrades on downline segments. If maintaining the confirmed upgrade is important then these changes should be handled with care.

Most Frequently Asked Question: When do I call/go online to make the change?
Follow this flowchart:
Question 1: Are you within 24 hours of your currently scheduled UA(*) operated flight that you're trying to change off of? If yes, continue to Question 2. If no, continue to answer 1.
Question 2: Are you within 24 hours of the first UA operated flight you're trying to change on to? If yes, continue to to Answer 2. If no, continue to Answer 1.
Answer 1: No, you cannot call/go online yet to make an SDC.
Answer 2: Yes, then you can call/go online to make an SDC.

General Baseline Rules

These are the general rules that usually apply to SDC's; falling outside these rules usually requires payment of a full change fee and the fare difference:
  • The departure time of the first segment of the old itinerary and the departure time of the first segment of the new itinerary must both be within 24 hours of the moment that the change is made.
  • Only applies to UA/UX operated flights, domestic or international. Changing from a non-UA operated to UA operated may be possible.
  • The ultimate origin and destination airports must remain the same.
  • Routing can be changed (addition, deletion, or change of connection points) but the routing rules of the original fare usually apply.
  • All remaining unflown segments in single fared itinerary are considered together (i.e., if you're flying WWW-XXX-YYY-ZZZ, you can go to a kiosk at XXX and potentially fly XXX-AAA-ZZZ or XXX-ZZZ direct).
  • SDC can be done an unlimited number of times, and can therefore be used to extend a trip indefinitely (pending availability).
  • SDC costs $75 for Members and Silvers - the fee is waived for Golds and up (plus any applicable fare difference, see below). *G's may also get free SDC, although there is no mention of this in the official rules. Once in-route, fees for an earlier connecting flight may be waived per GG SDC Line 118.
  • Non-elites on the same PNR benefit from any waived fees for SDC.
  • No fare difference is charged so long as there is availability on all of the new segments in the originally ticketed fare class. Fare class availability in all classes often opens up after T-24 and almost always opens up at T-3 unless the plane is very full.
  • SDC on bulk tickets, including United Specials, is not permitted.
  • SDC is permitted on both domestic and international itineraries.

How to SDC

SDC can be accomplished in a few different places (in rough order of likelihood of being able to get the rules bent):
  • United mobile app
  • Kiosk
  • Phone
  • On united.com, right now only the "Search Other Flight Options" button during On-Line Check-In (OLCI) works. This has spotty availability, particularly if the change would involve paying an additional fare due to fare bucket non-availability.
  • Counter/Gate (although reports are that most airport agents are not familiar with the SDC policy and may not allow you to SDC to a valid itinerary--you can try to direct them to look up GG SDC, but they often won't understand that what you're trying to do is permitted by those rules)
Please note that the United.com “change flight” link before checking in within T-24, is broken. The website may not show all available options and will often attempt to collect the change fee rather than the SDC fee (if any).

NB: An SDC where the original itinerary (in one direction) has three or more segments cannot be done online.

Nuances and Loose Rules

Now for the hard part: figuring out where the flexibility is in the rules. This list is compiled from the responses to people saying "Can I do X?" where X is something that is not clearly permitted by the rules. One's likelihood of success here depends a bit on the method used for the SDC.

For each item, the following codes apply:
Y = officially permitted and possible using any method
A = not permitted but perhaps possible using an agent (phone/counter), perhaps having to HUACA
A* = mixed reports of success with an agent (phone/counter),
N* = possible only if you find a very accommodating agent
N = little or no reported success.
  • Violating various non-routing fare rules (day/time, minimum stay, etc.): Y
  • Change destination to ultra-close airport (see the old S*FAR/STANDBY): A
  • Change destination to a co-terminal: N*
  • Change destination to an entirely different place: N
  • Change itinerary at the beginning to include illegal layovers (> 4 hours): N*
  • Change itinerary at the layover point (using kiosk, app, or agent) to create an otherwise illegal layover: Y
  • Change itinerary at the beginning to add a layover point not permitted by the routing rules: N*
  • Change itinerary at a layover point to add another layover not permitted (either in terms of number of segments or routing rules) by the routing rules: Y
  • Change to a flight exactly 24 hours before or after the original flight: N*
  • Change to a flight exactly 24 hours before the original flight, if the previous day's flight has been delayed: Y (based on one report)
  • Combining separately-fared segments to do SDC (e.g. XXX-YYY+YYY-ZZZ -> XXX-ZZZ): A
  • Change UA-codeshare, non-UA-metal segment to UA metal: A
  • Change from UA metal to UA-codeshare, non-UA-metal segment: N (see post 1813 for one exception)
  • Change from UA-codeshare, non-UA-metal segment to a different UA-codeshare, non-UA-metal segment: ??
  • Change on a non-UA ticketed segment: N* (with potential dire consequences)
  • Change from an upgraded flight into Y on the new flight: Y
  • Change from a GPU-upgraded flight into J/F on the new flight: A
  • Change from a CPU-upgraded flight and get confirmed into available R space on the new flight: N*
  • Change from an instrument-upgraded flight and get confirmed into available R space on the new flight: A*
  • Non-elite on different PNR benefiting from Elite's waived-fee SDC: A
  • Change at origin airport after tendering a checked bag: N
  • Change at layover airport when a bag has been checked: N

If you encounter issues with an agent (phone or counter/gate), you can ask the agent to reference GG SDC. Additionally, GG SDC line 61 specifically references that fare classes are supposed to level out 3.5 hours before departure, so you might be able to use that to your advantage if fare classes have not leveled out and you're trying to ask an agent to open up the correct inventory or force you onto the flight.

Note -- as of 11/27/2017: A datapoint indicates that UA may have updated its GG rule regarding leveling out to state the following:

Code:
EVERYDAY AWARD AND REVENUE BUCKETS ARE TO LEVEL OUT WITHIN 2H OF DEPARTURE
Standby
You may stand by if seats are not available in the purchased fare class. In these cases, the same-day change fee will apply, but will not be charged unless you are assigned a seat on your alternate flight. Changes in routing are not allowed when standing by. Standby may be requested on the day of departure at an airport kiosk or with a United representative at the airport. Once you are added to the flight standby list, you can check your real-time standby status at united.com/flightstatus or on your mobile device at mobile.united.com/info.

Instead of paying a same-day change discounted fee, can I stand by for my desired flight for free?
No. The only time you may standby for free is when the fare does not have any penalties for making changes, or when standing by involuntarily due to a flight irregularity.

Can I pay the same-day change discount fee with cash?
Cash will only be accepted by a United airport representative when the change is available to be confirmed, not for standby travel.

original posting by mgcsinc, initiated by jackal

Previous threads:
UA Same-Day Travel Change (SDC) Fees/Questions *now with WikiPost* {pre-2015 Archive}
Print Wikipost

UA Same-Day Travel Change (SDC) Fees/Questions (with Wiki) {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13, 2015, 1:32 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Formerly Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by EmailKid
Checked in, and after that no chance to do SDC, even though fare classes were available on several flights, not even on App.

Called in changed flights, and still nothing on UAL.com, but on App was able to see other flight options when doing checkin
What did you have and what did you to change to? Was the phone convo straightforward?
Old Nov 13, 2015, 6:16 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by BThumme
What did you have and what did you to change to? Was the phone convo straightforward?
Not sure what convo is, but I was on a tablet with WiFi.

DFW-LAX-SAN to a later flight so I would not have to get to the airport at Zero Dark 30.

Tried it an hour later at work with work computer and work WiFi, then called agent.
Old Nov 13, 2015, 7:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Not sure what convo is
Lazy slang for the word "conversation." http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=convo

(I use it occasionally myself, so no intentional mudslinging by calling it lazy. )
Old Nov 13, 2015, 8:27 pm

Programs: UA LT Gold (BIS), AA LT Plat (CC SUBs & BD), Hilton Dia (CC), Hyatt Glob (BIB), et. al.
Data points from mileage run flights of a few of weeks ago. Original ticket: MIA-IAH-DFW, SDC requested by phone, asked about MIA-ORD-DFW which was available in the exact same booking fare, I was told the fare rules for my ticket ONLY allow connecting at IAH, SDCed to earlier MIA-IAH-DFW flights.

Next day original ticket: DFW-DEN-LGA, SDC requested by phone, offered DFW-IAH-DEN-LGA, accepted (expecting more PQMs), wasn’t told and didn’t realize for a while that DFW-IAH-DEN, although different airplanes with a 45 minute connection at IAH, shared the same flight number (bye bye extra PQMs). At IAH, tons of direct LGA seats available in all fares for 2 or 3 different flights, requested direct LGA (fatigue, PQMs less important at that moment), SDC or stand by, with a gate agent for the next IAH-LGA flight (15 seats available, 1 person on the standby list), she was very nice, spent 20 minutes on the phone with the “fare desk”, basically told me I couldn’t get on her flight stand-by because I was “still in flight” as far as UA was concerned. Since DFW-IAH-DEN had the same flight number, the computer saw me as being “on” the IAH-DEN flight which was departing in another 30 minutes. She was so nice I asked if I were to “miss” my IAH-DEN flight, would UA really NOT put me on a IAH-DEN flight, she said “after all this I think they might know what you’re doing, they just might make you buy a new ticket”.

Lessons: - some fare rules specify exact routing which may not be SDCable.
- connecting flights with the same flight number are almost SDC/stand-by impossible at the connection airport
Old Nov 15, 2015, 1:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Ruhr
I can understand getting past security using your original boarding pass if the flight was on the same day. However, you seemed to have gone the day before (17 hours before your original 9am flight). How did you get past the security checkpoint?

In fact, that was how I did my own at-gate SDC recently. The check-in agent encouraged me to use my original boarding pass to get through security, then get to the gate of the flight I wanted to change to. These were all flights occurring on the same day so security wasn't a problem.
Thanks, you just saved me a bunch of typing, as that was my impression as well
Originally Posted by hoopics
I've never heard of TSA limiting when you can enter the secure zone? as it was I had a valid boarding pass, as I was within 24 hours and had checked in. I scanned it at the PreCheck line. It beeped three times. My ID matched. The TSA lady waved me through. Maybe she thought I was too cheap to spring for a room and was going to sleep in the terminal? Might not have worked at a smaller station but this was a huge UA hub.
My limited experience is that TSA isn't too strict about boarding pass dates. During weather IRROPS this summer I wound up with only a boarding pass for travel 20+ hours in the future at a regional eight-gate airport, but I was able to exit and re-enter security several times. Of course they may have been consciously accommodating the funny business due to the 24-hrs of cancelled flights.
Old Nov 17, 2015, 9:22 pm

Programs: UA *S , MR LT Titanium, HH Diamond, Hertz PC
Any experience on SDC with checked luggage after that was checked in? I am booked IAH-EWR-FRA on the Sunday after Thanksgiving and would probably try for the VDB-game in case they are over on the IAH-EWR segment. Flight looks pretty full (only M and higher available at this point, F sold out), so chances do not look too bad.

However I actually would prefer to skip the connection and go with the non-stop IAH-FRA flight (which was more expensive when I originally booked the ticket, so that's why I went with the connection in the first place), and I certainly could SDC on that flight as my booking class is still available and probably will stay available until T-24, yet in case of a VDB-opportunity on EWR-IAH I could get that as reaccomodation as well plus get whatever the bounty is for staying behind on IAH-EWR.

So has anybody with checked luggage tried to wait until boarding starts to SDC and then SDC'd to a different flight? Is this possible at all, i.e. a SDC at the last minute before the departure of my flight, and what about the baggage issue, especially since it is touching an international flight?

I guess the answer is that this is not possible and I have to decide whether to hope for VDB or fly nonstop, but I thought it is worth to ask here first...:-)!

Greetings - Dirk
Old Nov 17, 2015, 10:12 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by djohannw
So has anybody with checked luggage tried to wait until boarding starts to SDC and then SDC'd to a different flight? ....
generally a no and a sure no for international flight due to PPBM.

At checkin on domestic you can ask about SDC/Standby and have your luggage set aside just in case but things need to clear in time to handle the luggage.
Old Nov 17, 2015, 10:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by djohannw
Any experience on SDC with checked luggage after that was checked in? I am booked IAH-EWR-FRA on the Sunday after Thanksgiving and would probably try for the VDB-game in case they are over on the IAH-EWR segment. Flight looks pretty full (only M and higher available at this point, F sold out), so chances do not look too bad.

However I actually would prefer to skip the connection and go with the non-stop IAH-FRA flight (which was more expensive when I originally booked the ticket, so that's why I went with the connection in the first place), and I certainly could SDC on that flight as my booking class is still available and probably will stay available until T-24, yet in case of a VDB-opportunity on EWR-IAH I could get that as reaccomodation as well plus get whatever the bounty is for staying behind on IAH-EWR.

So has anybody with checked luggage tried to wait until boarding starts to SDC and then SDC'd to a different flight? Is this possible at all, i.e. a SDC at the last minute before the departure of my flight, and what about the baggage issue, especially since it is touching an international flight?

I guess the answer is that this is not possible and I have to decide whether to hope for VDB or fly nonstop, but I thought it is worth to ask here first...:-)!

Greetings - Dirk
SDC will not be an option using any automated method once luggage is checked. Being that its international and subject to PPBM, it will be difficult to get an agent to do it either as an SDC.

I have even tested the SDC with a bag checked when I had a split record flying with my wife. Wanted to change the connection. Checked bag was in my name. Checked with wifi onboard the first flight - I did not have an SDC option, my wife had several. Eventually, got CS desk at ORD to make the change we wanted (this was domestic though, so much different situation in terms of bags).

Even VDB may be tougher with a checked bag (especially if there is someone else who wants it without a checked bag).
Old Nov 18, 2015, 9:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Can you SDC from an "A" fare (domestic first) to an "A" fare (domestic BusinessFirst)? I have an "A" ticket on a 739. There's a 763 with First/Business/Economy and "A" on that plane would be first class. Is this allowed? I'm guessing no but not sure.

-RM
Old Nov 18, 2015, 9:57 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold
Any experience on changing a LH-UA flight to UA-UA flight via SDC. Is it allowed?
Old Nov 18, 2015, 1:59 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by IADFlyer123
Any experience on changing a LH-UA flight to UA-UA flight via SDC. Is it allowed?
See the wiki -- the strict rules say no. Unlikely to get a phone agent or app to do it, a chance an airport agent might.
Old Nov 18, 2015, 2:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by RobOnLI
Can you SDC from an "A" fare (domestic first) to an "A" fare (domestic BusinessFirst)? I have an "A" ticket on a 739. There's a 763 with First/Business/Economy and "A" on that plane would be first class. Is this allowed? I'm guessing no but not sure.

-RM
There is no such thing as domestic BusinessFirst service. There are internationally-configured aircraft that sometimes fly domestic routes (as well as P.S. flights) that happen to have BusinessFirst seats, and if you happen to book a first-class fare (or, on non-P.S. routes, get upgraded into first class) on one of these flights, you will get to sit in a much fancier lie-flat seat. Yes, this includes SDCing to an internationally-configured aircraft.
Old Nov 18, 2015, 3:37 pm

Programs: United 1K, American Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by jackal
There is no such thing as domestic BusinessFirst service. There are internationally-configured aircraft that sometimes fly domestic routes (as well as P.S. flights) that happen to have BusinessFirst seats, and if you happen to book a first-class fare (or, on non-P.S. routes, get upgraded into first class) on one of these flights, you will get to sit in a much fancier lie-flat seat. Yes, this includes SDCing to an internationally-configured aircraft.
This happened to me recently. I originally booked a First (P, A, or Z class, I can't remember) cabin ticket on boring (yawn) old skool recliner seats (PHL-SFO-HNL). To my delight, the night before a nice SDC option appeared, PHL-ORD-HNL where the ORD-HNL segment was an international style three cabin aircraft. It was nice enough that I had a great seat in BusinessFirst in ORD-HNL, though there were FIVE open seats in the GlobalFirst section. As a "lowly" Gold, I was number one on the CPU upgrade list and YAY, I got it!

SDC can be magical because you can change to a better flight on better aircraft, with better amenities. You just need to have availability in your fare class to SDC onto those better flights.
Old Nov 18, 2015, 4:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by RobOnLI

-RM
It really depends. Most discount domestic F fares (P/Z/A and some F) have flight rules (cat 4) which try to keep you off of int'l config aircraft or p.s. routes. But if the 763 was an unscheduled swap, it won't directly violate the fare rules and you might be able to pull it off. Or a benevolent agent might not check the rules. Notably, if it's that 763 which is scheduled to do a EWR-ORD-EWR run as UA1928/UA485, then less likely. If you succeed, an A fare should book as 3-cabin First so you should get to sit all the way up front

Sample /UPDI fare rules to keep you out of lie flats (apparently whoever writes these didn't get the memo about JFK):

Code:
  FOR TRAVEL ON/AFTER 25OCT 15 AND ON/BEFORE 01DEC 15
  IF THE FARE COMPONENT INCLUDES TRAVEL BETWEEN EWR AND CHI
      THEN THAT TRAVEL MUST NOT BE ON
      ONE OR MORE OF THE FOLLOWING
        UA FLIGHT 485
        UA FLIGHT 1928.
  AND
  THE FARE COMPONENT MUST NOT INCLUDE TRAVEL BETWEEN EWR AND
  LAX.
  AND
  SFO.
  AND
  SNA.
  AND
  THE FARE COMPONENT MUST NOT INCLUDE TRAVEL BETWEEN JFK
  AIRPORT AND LAX.
  AND
  THE FARE COMPONENT MUST NOT INCLUDE TRAVEL BETWEEN JFK
  AIRPORT AND SFO.
  AND
  THE FARE COMPONENT MUST NOT INCLUDE TRAVEL BETWEEN IAH
  AIRPORT AND SFO.
  AND
  HNL.
Old Nov 19, 2015, 2:57 am

Programs: 1 thousand
Can I SDC into a different cabin on a different routing? I'm flying sea-den-phl next week in W, there's a better scheduled routing via sea-iah-phl available, which I know I can SDC into, but can I also select First while doing that? (Currently the "change flights" option online lets me select sea-iah-phl in First, for the $200 fare difference + $200 change fee.)

(Doing this would be useful as it would get me an additional 2000PQM which I'll need to reach Gold for next year.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.