Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Same-Day Travel Change (SDC) Fees/Questions (with Wiki) {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 4, 2015, 2:01 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This wiki was created to distill SDC (and related standby) down to a set of rules in the hopes of benefiting others.

The official "rules" can be found here. In practice, some of the rules almost always apply, and some are more flexible.

Note there have been reports of SDC to one segment removing confirmed CPU upgrades on downline segments. If maintaining the confirmed upgrade is important then these changes should be handled with care.

Most Frequently Asked Question: When do I call/go online to make the change?
Follow this flowchart:
Question 1: Are you within 24 hours of your currently scheduled UA(*) operated flight that you're trying to change off of? If yes, continue to Question 2. If no, continue to answer 1.
Question 2: Are you within 24 hours of the first UA operated flight you're trying to change on to? If yes, continue to to Answer 2. If no, continue to Answer 1.
Answer 1: No, you cannot call/go online yet to make an SDC.
Answer 2: Yes, then you can call/go online to make an SDC.

General Baseline Rules

These are the general rules that usually apply to SDC's; falling outside these rules usually requires payment of a full change fee and the fare difference:
  • The departure time of the first segment of the old itinerary and the departure time of the first segment of the new itinerary must both be within 24 hours of the moment that the change is made.
  • Only applies to UA/UX operated flights, domestic or international. Changing from a non-UA operated to UA operated may be possible.
  • The ultimate origin and destination airports must remain the same.
  • Routing can be changed (addition, deletion, or change of connection points) but the routing rules of the original fare usually apply.
  • All remaining unflown segments in single fared itinerary are considered together (i.e., if you're flying WWW-XXX-YYY-ZZZ, you can go to a kiosk at XXX and potentially fly XXX-AAA-ZZZ or XXX-ZZZ direct).
  • SDC can be done an unlimited number of times, and can therefore be used to extend a trip indefinitely (pending availability).
  • SDC costs $75 for Members and Silvers - the fee is waived for Golds and up (plus any applicable fare difference, see below). *G's may also get free SDC, although there is no mention of this in the official rules. Once in-route, fees for an earlier connecting flight may be waived per GG SDC Line 118.
  • Non-elites on the same PNR benefit from any waived fees for SDC.
  • No fare difference is charged so long as there is availability on all of the new segments in the originally ticketed fare class. Fare class availability in all classes often opens up after T-24 and almost always opens up at T-3 unless the plane is very full.
  • SDC on bulk tickets, including United Specials, is not permitted.
  • SDC is permitted on both domestic and international itineraries.

How to SDC

SDC can be accomplished in a few different places (in rough order of likelihood of being able to get the rules bent):
  • United mobile app
  • Kiosk
  • Phone
  • On united.com, right now only the "Search Other Flight Options" button during On-Line Check-In (OLCI) works. This has spotty availability, particularly if the change would involve paying an additional fare due to fare bucket non-availability.
  • Counter/Gate (although reports are that most airport agents are not familiar with the SDC policy and may not allow you to SDC to a valid itinerary--you can try to direct them to look up GG SDC, but they often won't understand that what you're trying to do is permitted by those rules)
Please note that the United.com “change flight” link before checking in within T-24, is broken. The website may not show all available options and will often attempt to collect the change fee rather than the SDC fee (if any).

NB: An SDC where the original itinerary (in one direction) has three or more segments cannot be done online.

Nuances and Loose Rules

Now for the hard part: figuring out where the flexibility is in the rules. This list is compiled from the responses to people saying "Can I do X?" where X is something that is not clearly permitted by the rules. One's likelihood of success here depends a bit on the method used for the SDC.

For each item, the following codes apply:
Y = officially permitted and possible using any method
A = not permitted but perhaps possible using an agent (phone/counter), perhaps having to HUACA
A* = mixed reports of success with an agent (phone/counter),
N* = possible only if you find a very accommodating agent
N = little or no reported success.
  • Violating various non-routing fare rules (day/time, minimum stay, etc.): Y
  • Change destination to ultra-close airport (see the old S*FAR/STANDBY): A
  • Change destination to a co-terminal: N*
  • Change destination to an entirely different place: N
  • Change itinerary at the beginning to include illegal layovers (> 4 hours): N*
  • Change itinerary at the layover point (using kiosk, app, or agent) to create an otherwise illegal layover: Y
  • Change itinerary at the beginning to add a layover point not permitted by the routing rules: N*
  • Change itinerary at a layover point to add another layover not permitted (either in terms of number of segments or routing rules) by the routing rules: Y
  • Change to a flight exactly 24 hours before or after the original flight: N*
  • Change to a flight exactly 24 hours before the original flight, if the previous day's flight has been delayed: Y (based on one report)
  • Combining separately-fared segments to do SDC (e.g. XXX-YYY+YYY-ZZZ -> XXX-ZZZ): A
  • Change UA-codeshare, non-UA-metal segment to UA metal: A
  • Change from UA metal to UA-codeshare, non-UA-metal segment: N (see post 1813 for one exception)
  • Change from UA-codeshare, non-UA-metal segment to a different UA-codeshare, non-UA-metal segment: ??
  • Change on a non-UA ticketed segment: N* (with potential dire consequences)
  • Change from an upgraded flight into Y on the new flight: Y
  • Change from a GPU-upgraded flight into J/F on the new flight: A
  • Change from a CPU-upgraded flight and get confirmed into available R space on the new flight: N*
  • Change from an instrument-upgraded flight and get confirmed into available R space on the new flight: A*
  • Non-elite on different PNR benefiting from Elite's waived-fee SDC: A
  • Change at origin airport after tendering a checked bag: N
  • Change at layover airport when a bag has been checked: N

If you encounter issues with an agent (phone or counter/gate), you can ask the agent to reference GG SDC. Additionally, GG SDC line 61 specifically references that fare classes are supposed to level out 3.5 hours before departure, so you might be able to use that to your advantage if fare classes have not leveled out and you're trying to ask an agent to open up the correct inventory or force you onto the flight.

Note -- as of 11/27/2017: A datapoint indicates that UA may have updated its GG rule regarding leveling out to state the following:

Code:
EVERYDAY AWARD AND REVENUE BUCKETS ARE TO LEVEL OUT WITHIN 2H OF DEPARTURE
Standby
You may stand by if seats are not available in the purchased fare class. In these cases, the same-day change fee will apply, but will not be charged unless you are assigned a seat on your alternate flight. Changes in routing are not allowed when standing by. Standby may be requested on the day of departure at an airport kiosk or with a United representative at the airport. Once you are added to the flight standby list, you can check your real-time standby status at united.com/flightstatus or on your mobile device at mobile.united.com/info.

Instead of paying a same-day change discounted fee, can I stand by for my desired flight for free?
No. The only time you may standby for free is when the fare does not have any penalties for making changes, or when standing by involuntarily due to a flight irregularity.

Can I pay the same-day change discount fee with cash?
Cash will only be accepted by a United airport representative when the change is available to be confirmed, not for standby travel.

original posting by mgcsinc, initiated by jackal

Previous threads:
UA Same-Day Travel Change (SDC) Fees/Questions *now with WikiPost* {pre-2015 Archive}
Print Wikipost

UA Same-Day Travel Change (SDC) Fees/Questions (with Wiki) {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2018, 7:46 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Add my experience

If I read it correctly, one cannot change three segments to two segments on App. The 8 hr layover at SAN is not long enough for App to treat your entire itinerary as two independent trips.
For a trip to PVG from IAD, I was able to change SFO-PVG to SFO-EWR-PVG once I boarded the IAD-SFO flight. After I boarded the SFO-EWR flight, I was not able to change EWR-PVG to something like EWR-ORD-PVG because my PVG-SFO would depart in ten hours after the arrival of EWR-PVG flight. There were three segments, EWR-PVG-SFO-IAD remaining at that time. But CS agent at EWR had no trouble to change EWR-PVG to EWR-ORD-PVG once I arrived at EWR.

Last edited by Kmxu; Aug 1, 2018 at 7:56 am
Old Aug 1, 2018, 8:33 am

Originally Posted by Kmxu
If I read it correctly, one cannot change three segments to two segments on App. The 8 hr layover at SAN is not long enough for App to treat your entire itinerary as two independent trips.
For a trip to PVG from IAD, I was able to change SFO-PVG to SFO-EWR-PVG once I boarded the IAD-SFO flight. After I boarded the SFO-EWR flight, I was not able to change EWR-PVG to something like EWR-ORD-PVG because my PVG-SFO would depart in ten hours after the arrival of EWR-PVG flight. There were three segments, EWR-PVG-SFO-IAD remaining at that time. But CS agent at EWR had no trouble to change EWR-PVG to EWR-ORD-PVG once I arrived at EWR.
All your changes are "legal" as they don't break the fare, even though might break MPM but maybe that's not enforced in SDC. The equivalent to my case would be like changing EWR-PVG-SFO-IAD to EWR-IAD. PVG is the destination in your fare, and I want to skip it.
Per all your responses, it seems unclear if I can SDC B-C-A to B-A, but I should certainly be able to SDC while keeping B-C-A.
Another quick question, are Reservations agents able to do SDC? When I arrive in B, I won't have time at airport to deal with SDC if app doesn't show any options.
Old Aug 1, 2018, 8:47 am

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Formerly Starbucks Gold
Yes, they are. But as always YMMV on agent knowledge/willingness to help.
Old Aug 1, 2018, 9:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by enigma_jq
All your changes are "legal" as they don't break the fare, even though might break MPM but maybe that's not enforced in SDC. The equivalent to my case would be like changing EWR-PVG-SFO-IAD to EWR-IAD. PVG is the destination in your fare, and I want to skip it.
Ex-USA, most UA fares are routed, not mileage-based. However, the app is well known for ignoring routing rules, so I have little doubt that it would ignore MPM restrictions too.

Originally Posted by enigma_jq
Per all your responses, it seems unclear if I can SDC B-C-A to B-A, but I should certainly be able to SDC while keeping B-C-A.
I agree with both points. The app may get confused and allow you to skip your destination, but I wouldn't count on it. However, if there is availability on a later B-C flight that is still a valid connection with your existing C-A flight, I agree that it's quite likely you'll be able to get onto it.

There's always risk, though, in booking flights that you can't take. One cancellation on an earlier B-C flight could make SDC to a later flight impossible, at which point you're stuck hoping a sympathetic agent will allow you to fly back to A without charging you the fare difference.

As for calling an agent: in theory, SDC isn't supposed to allow you to change your destination; I'd want to have a pretty good story about why I didn't need to go to C anymore before I tried to get an agent to change from B-C-A to B-A.
Old Aug 1, 2018, 4:11 pm

Programs: UA 1MM Premier Gold, DL Gold Medallion, HHonors Gold, Marriot Rewards Gold
SDC for the entire family

Greetings,
It'll be 5 of us, 2 premier gold, Adults, and 3 kids under 12 who do not have any status with UA.
When the time comes, will we able to change our flight to a later one without paying a fee (for all of us) if space will be available?

Thanks,
R
Old Aug 1, 2018, 4:17 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Those on a PNR with a Gold (or high) will have free SDC
Old Aug 1, 2018, 10:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by rebech34
Greetings,
It'll be 5 of us, 2 premier gold, Adults, and 3 kids under 12 who do not have any status with UA.
When the time comes, will we able to change our flight to a later one without paying a fee (for all of us) if space will be available?

Thanks,
R
ages don’t matter - what does matter is being on the same PNR (and it not being basic economy, which doesn’t allow SDC). If all pax are on the same PNR, then you’ll all have access to free SDC if fare class availability is there.

Biggest issue, I’d guess, on a PNR with 5 people is having 5 open seats in your fare class - particularly on lower fare classes. That will depend on route, timing, etc, but that might even be tough even on many non-peak routes.
Old Aug 3, 2018, 2:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Question...
I'm looking at a multi-city LGA-xxx-West Coast fare. I'd book it with the idea that I know I have to SDC it. I'm wondering if this is possible.

The LGA-xxx and xxx-West Coast winds up getting booked as a through fare from what I can see in the fare rules. And, there's only one flight out of LGA at 545am that connects to the west coast flight, which I do not want to take.

Can I SDC the first flight and then create a connecting flight IAH-West Coast? There's only one non-stop a day from IAH-West Coast destination which leaves early in the morning. I'd rather do LGA-IAH in the afternoon and then delay IAH-West Coast to either that evening or the following day. I don't mind routing IAH-West Coast through ORD or DEN (plenty of connections through there).

Thanks,
RM
Old Aug 4, 2018, 1:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Can you be a little more specific? I'm not sure what you're trying to do here. Why is it "multi-city" -- are you stopping over along the way to the West Coast? If you book e.g. LGA-ORD-SFO and want to SDC to a later LGA-IAH-SFO, that is definitely possible. If it's more like LGA-IAH-SFO to LGA-IAH-ORD-SFO (doesn't make schedule sense but I think that might be what you are saying?), you can't SDC onto an itinerary that has more than two segments remaining to the next ticketed point (except by agent).
Old Aug 4, 2018, 9:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by findark
Can you be a little more specific? I'm not sure what you're trying to do here. Why is it "multi-city" -- are you stopping over along the way to the West Coast? If you book e.g. LGA-ORD-SFO and want to SDC to a later LGA-IAH-SFO, that is definitely possible. If it's more like LGA-IAH-SFO to LGA-IAH-ORD-SFO (doesn't make schedule sense but I think that might be what you are saying?), you can't SDC onto an itinerary that has more than two segments remaining to the next ticketed point (except by agent).
Sorry for not being clear. I re-read my post a few times and at least I knew what I was asking :-D

I searched a multi-city fare on United.com for LGA-IAH and IAH-West Coast. It seems to be priced as a through fare, not a multi-city with a stopover. This may be irrelevant to my question but I threw that in there just in case.

The LGA-IAH flight departs at 545am. The IAH-West Coast flight departs at 10am CT. I do not want to take the 545am flight. In fact, I want to get to IAH and either stay there overnight or at least have a long layover. Can I call United and SDC the entire ticket at the same time and create a double connection? I want to go LGA-IAH at say 12n. I can then take the IAH-DEN-West Coast flight that departs at 7pm.

I'm hoping/assuming that as long as my fare class is available that this is a legal/valid use of SDC and the agent won't balk at it. Of course, once I board my LGA-IAH flight I can SDC the IAH-West Coast to my hearts content.

PS - I booked it this way because searching LGA-West Coast came up with a $1400 fare. Searching it multi-city the fare was $700 (for the same fare class!)

-RM
Old Aug 4, 2018, 10:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RobOnLI
Can I call United and SDC the entire ticket at the same time and create a double connection? I want to go LGA-IAH at say 12n. I can then take the IAH-DEN-West Coast flight that departs at 7pm.
Fewer and fewer UA fares allow multiple transfers. That doesn't mean that an agent won't override the fare and allow it, but I'd be prepared with a sensible reason, which may include "it's the only way to get there where I don't have to get up at 3 AM." Note that you're extremely unlikely to get an agent to create a stopover (> 4 hour transfer).

Of course, once I board my LGA-IAH flight I can SDC the IAH-West Coast to my hearts content.
Agreed. If you can't get an agent to add a second transfer, just try to get the outbound flight that you want and then hope to be able to do another SDC once you board. You're going to need to do that anyway if you want to create an overnight stop.
Old Aug 5, 2018, 3:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
The LGA-IAH flight departs at 545am. The IAH-West Coast flight departs at 10am CT. I do not want to take the 545am flight. In fact, I want to get to IAH and either stay there overnight or at least have a long layover. Can I call United and SDC the entire ticket at the same time and create a double connection? I want to go LGA-IAH at say 12n. I can then take the IAH-DEN-West Coast flight that departs at 7pm.
Hard to say without specific flights/dates, but this situation is usually because of inventory, which would also restrict your ability to SDC.

As jsloan notes, routing rules permitting more than one stop are very uncommon these days, so it would be challenging to change to a two-stop itinerary ahead of time. Once the LGA-IAH coupon is lifted, you should have fewer problems SDCing by app, although rumor has it the app has tightened up a bit recently.
Old Aug 5, 2018, 5:23 pm

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM
Originally Posted by findark
Hard to say without specific flights/dates, but this situation is usually because of inventory, which would also restrict your ability to SDC.

As jsloan notes, routing rules permitting more than one stop are very uncommon these days, so it would be challenging to change to a two-stop itinerary ahead of time. Once the LGA-IAH coupon is lifted, you should have fewer problems SDCing by app, although rumor has it the app has tightened up a bit recently.
I have not seen the rumor discussed on this forum, but anecdotally I can confirm that my last 2 weeks of flights have not provided the same "robust" SDC options at my point of origin airport.
Old Aug 5, 2018, 8:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Three things to note with SDC. Given I'm traveling basically every single day I always try to check my options and optimize my flights either for miles, arrival time, etc.

1) I no longer need to worry about changing my 545am LGA-IAH flight. Given what happened (see #2 below), I asked the agent in PDX to change my ticket on Monday so that I had at least 12 hours in NY before flying again. He agreed to do so and he booked me the LGA-IAH-DEN-West Coast flight that I asked for. It wasn't ideal but it was good enough. I did look up my routing rules and two transfers are allowed on it so I technically could have SDC'd this ticket as I was asking about above. Not sure whether I would have found a phone agent willing to do it though. Thanks for the advice @jsloan and @findark.

2) I misconnected in Denver this weekend thanks to a "late inbound crew" to PDX. The DEN-LGA flight left 3 minutes before my PDX-DEN plane pulled up to the gate. Anyway, I got rebooked in "F" for the following day as I was already confirmed in first on the original DEN-LGA flight. Interestingly, I had zero SDC options appear all day yesterday on the app even though there were plenty of flights with "F" space open. This morning when I woke up in DEN and pulled up SDC options I suddenly had a whole slew of them, all booking straight into "F". No idea what changed overnight. Anyone have a clue? I also wonder if the flight will post as paid "F" or not. If it does, great. If not, I'm not asking for extra PQM.

3) Related to #1 above, I tried to change my LGA-IAH flight within the SDC window, leaving IAH-DEN-West Coast as-is. The flight opened up with my booking class and I called the 1K line to make the change since the app will not offer two connections via SDC. Two agents I called both said they couldn't see the class open even though EF and United's website confirmed it. In fact, trying to book a new ticket LGA-IAH booked right into the fare class I needed. I found my way to web support who also claimed she couldn't make the change. However, after I noted to her twice that the app was offering to sell me a ticket in the class I needed she put me on hold to talk to a supervisor. Ultimately they made the change but then she had to document the ticket about waiving the change fee. Huh? Maybe this is a result of web support not knowing SDC rules. I'm wondering why multiple agents saw my fare class 0 when the app and EF both said it was 1. (IAH-DEN-West Coast still had plenty of fare class availability for what I needed).

Trials & tribulations of SDC continue. Tomorrow will be real interesting once I board my LGA-IAH flight to see how far I can push the rest of the ticket. Given that it's a manually re-issued ticket I think I might be calling the 1K line again.

-RM
Old Aug 6, 2018, 7:24 am
formerly 1984SW

Programs: UA
Not sure if this is a one-time glitch or a "change you are going to like," but I couldn't SDC today's flight without a $200 change fee.

I was booked SAN-LAX-IAH-MID with 2.5 hours in LAX and 33 minutes in IAH, and that short layover in IAH made me nervous, so I looked last night and this morning and found some options for $0 (I'm booked in P, based on an S fare) but they all said there would be a $200 change fee right up until the point where I had to submit my credit card details. I tried last night (within 12 hours of departure) and again this morning (within 3 hours of departure) on both the app and the web site.

I called the Premier Desk and the agent there said she also said it was telling her to collect $200, but she put me on hold and when she came back she said she could SDC me for no fee (I'm MP Gold).

This is my first time a actually doing a SDC, but I've looked at it in the past and I *think* the format on the app is different than before. I was forced back on to the new united.com web site after several weeks of enjoying the old "classic" website.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.