Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Same-Day Travel Change (SDC) Fees/Questions (with Wiki) {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 4, 2015, 2:01 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This wiki was created to distill SDC (and related standby) down to a set of rules in the hopes of benefiting others.

The official "rules" can be found here. In practice, some of the rules almost always apply, and some are more flexible.

Note there have been reports of SDC to one segment removing confirmed CPU upgrades on downline segments. If maintaining the confirmed upgrade is important then these changes should be handled with care.

Most Frequently Asked Question: When do I call/go online to make the change?
Follow this flowchart:
Question 1: Are you within 24 hours of your currently scheduled UA(*) operated flight that you're trying to change off of? If yes, continue to Question 2. If no, continue to answer 1.
Question 2: Are you within 24 hours of the first UA operated flight you're trying to change on to? If yes, continue to to Answer 2. If no, continue to Answer 1.
Answer 1: No, you cannot call/go online yet to make an SDC.
Answer 2: Yes, then you can call/go online to make an SDC.

General Baseline Rules

These are the general rules that usually apply to SDC's; falling outside these rules usually requires payment of a full change fee and the fare difference:
  • The departure time of the first segment of the old itinerary and the departure time of the first segment of the new itinerary must both be within 24 hours of the moment that the change is made.
  • Only applies to UA/UX operated flights, domestic or international. Changing from a non-UA operated to UA operated may be possible.
  • The ultimate origin and destination airports must remain the same.
  • Routing can be changed (addition, deletion, or change of connection points) but the routing rules of the original fare usually apply.
  • All remaining unflown segments in single fared itinerary are considered together (i.e., if you're flying WWW-XXX-YYY-ZZZ, you can go to a kiosk at XXX and potentially fly XXX-AAA-ZZZ or XXX-ZZZ direct).
  • SDC can be done an unlimited number of times, and can therefore be used to extend a trip indefinitely (pending availability).
  • SDC costs $75 for Members and Silvers - the fee is waived for Golds and up (plus any applicable fare difference, see below). *G's may also get free SDC, although there is no mention of this in the official rules. Once in-route, fees for an earlier connecting flight may be waived per GG SDC Line 118.
  • Non-elites on the same PNR benefit from any waived fees for SDC.
  • No fare difference is charged so long as there is availability on all of the new segments in the originally ticketed fare class. Fare class availability in all classes often opens up after T-24 and almost always opens up at T-3 unless the plane is very full.
  • SDC on bulk tickets, including United Specials, is not permitted.
  • SDC is permitted on both domestic and international itineraries.

How to SDC

SDC can be accomplished in a few different places (in rough order of likelihood of being able to get the rules bent):
  • United mobile app
  • Kiosk
  • Phone
  • On united.com, right now only the "Search Other Flight Options" button during On-Line Check-In (OLCI) works. This has spotty availability, particularly if the change would involve paying an additional fare due to fare bucket non-availability.
  • Counter/Gate (although reports are that most airport agents are not familiar with the SDC policy and may not allow you to SDC to a valid itinerary--you can try to direct them to look up GG SDC, but they often won't understand that what you're trying to do is permitted by those rules)
Please note that the United.com “change flight” link before checking in within T-24, is broken. The website may not show all available options and will often attempt to collect the change fee rather than the SDC fee (if any).

NB: An SDC where the original itinerary (in one direction) has three or more segments cannot be done online.

Nuances and Loose Rules

Now for the hard part: figuring out where the flexibility is in the rules. This list is compiled from the responses to people saying "Can I do X?" where X is something that is not clearly permitted by the rules. One's likelihood of success here depends a bit on the method used for the SDC.

For each item, the following codes apply:
Y = officially permitted and possible using any method
A = not permitted but perhaps possible using an agent (phone/counter), perhaps having to HUACA
A* = mixed reports of success with an agent (phone/counter),
N* = possible only if you find a very accommodating agent
N = little or no reported success.
  • Violating various non-routing fare rules (day/time, minimum stay, etc.): Y
  • Change destination to ultra-close airport (see the old S*FAR/STANDBY): A
  • Change destination to a co-terminal: N*
  • Change destination to an entirely different place: N
  • Change itinerary at the beginning to include illegal layovers (> 4 hours): N*
  • Change itinerary at the layover point (using kiosk, app, or agent) to create an otherwise illegal layover: Y
  • Change itinerary at the beginning to add a layover point not permitted by the routing rules: N*
  • Change itinerary at a layover point to add another layover not permitted (either in terms of number of segments or routing rules) by the routing rules: Y
  • Change to a flight exactly 24 hours before or after the original flight: N*
  • Change to a flight exactly 24 hours before the original flight, if the previous day's flight has been delayed: Y (based on one report)
  • Combining separately-fared segments to do SDC (e.g. XXX-YYY+YYY-ZZZ -> XXX-ZZZ): A
  • Change UA-codeshare, non-UA-metal segment to UA metal: A
  • Change from UA metal to UA-codeshare, non-UA-metal segment: N (see post 1813 for one exception)
  • Change from UA-codeshare, non-UA-metal segment to a different UA-codeshare, non-UA-metal segment: ??
  • Change on a non-UA ticketed segment: N* (with potential dire consequences)
  • Change from an upgraded flight into Y on the new flight: Y
  • Change from a GPU-upgraded flight into J/F on the new flight: A
  • Change from a CPU-upgraded flight and get confirmed into available R space on the new flight: N*
  • Change from an instrument-upgraded flight and get confirmed into available R space on the new flight: A*
  • Non-elite on different PNR benefiting from Elite's waived-fee SDC: A
  • Change at origin airport after tendering a checked bag: N
  • Change at layover airport when a bag has been checked: N

If you encounter issues with an agent (phone or counter/gate), you can ask the agent to reference GG SDC. Additionally, GG SDC line 61 specifically references that fare classes are supposed to level out 3.5 hours before departure, so you might be able to use that to your advantage if fare classes have not leveled out and you're trying to ask an agent to open up the correct inventory or force you onto the flight.

Note -- as of 11/27/2017: A datapoint indicates that UA may have updated its GG rule regarding leveling out to state the following:

Code:
EVERYDAY AWARD AND REVENUE BUCKETS ARE TO LEVEL OUT WITHIN 2H OF DEPARTURE
Standby
You may stand by if seats are not available in the purchased fare class. In these cases, the same-day change fee will apply, but will not be charged unless you are assigned a seat on your alternate flight. Changes in routing are not allowed when standing by. Standby may be requested on the day of departure at an airport kiosk or with a United representative at the airport. Once you are added to the flight standby list, you can check your real-time standby status at united.com/flightstatus or on your mobile device at mobile.united.com/info.

Instead of paying a same-day change discounted fee, can I stand by for my desired flight for free?
No. The only time you may standby for free is when the fare does not have any penalties for making changes, or when standing by involuntarily due to a flight irregularity.

Can I pay the same-day change discount fee with cash?
Cash will only be accepted by a United airport representative when the change is available to be confirmed, not for standby travel.

original posting by mgcsinc, initiated by jackal

Previous threads:
UA Same-Day Travel Change (SDC) Fees/Questions *now with WikiPost* {pre-2015 Archive}
Print Wikipost

UA Same-Day Travel Change (SDC) Fees/Questions (with Wiki) {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8, 2018, 7:31 pm

Programs: CO-plat, SPG-plat
Originally Posted by emcampbe

you cannot SDC anything (non-UA issued ticket ignored, at the moment), unless it is UA/UAX only.

In practice - it can happen on a multi-carrier itin, only once all partner segments have been reported as ‘used’. There’s no point in doing anything at TPE - it won’t work, and even if the IA desk could do it (they won’t be in control of the ticket anyway, at that point, I don’t think), I wouldn’t want to risk anything going wrong with the existing BR segment.

You could theoretically try on the UA app after boarding your BR flight - not sure how fast BR reports, but you’ll know as your checked in UA segments will show electronic BPs on the app. However, it sounds like you have checked bags, which will disable the ability to SDC there.

Youre only choice really is to do this on landing at SFO. You can try calling when you can turn your cell phone on at taxi, but an agent may or may not do it (based on checked bag). Best place to do it is probably at baggage re check - they’ll also be able to retag bags for you.
Thanks for the reply and education on the SDC process. I previously booked BR itinerary using UA miles and needed to cancel after check-in. UA could not cancel and refund my itinerary due to BR's taking control of the ticket as the operating carrier. From that experience, I assumed that once I begin travel, BR/UA would take over control of the ticket from AC. I didn't realize SDC had the restriction limited to 016-tickets only.

Due to phantom award availability, I transferred surplus MR points to AC to book an itinerary. To make a long story short, I finally found a way to burn those AC miles for this itinerary. I otherwise book *A awards using UA miles. I suppose I'm still being punished for this MR transfer to AC, but I'll know better going forward to avoid this if expecting to SDC. I'll try to SDC at SFO. Worst answer I can receive is "no"
Old Jul 8, 2018, 7:34 pm

Programs: CO-plat, SPG-plat
Originally Posted by jsloan
If it worked, the ticket would get hung up in need of a re-issue that UA wouldn’t be able to process. Trust me; I speak from experience. You do not want to SDC a non-016 ticket, but you really, really do not want to SDC a non-016 ticket to add or remove a segment.

On second thought, perhaps I'll just suck up the red-eye with unnecessary connection. If OW ex-SFO non-stops to IAH weren't so overpriced due to UA's monopoly, I'd have just booked a revenue ticket and terminated my award travel at SFO. Much easier to buy a reasonably priced OW LAX-IAH ticket with AA and WN (to HOU) competition.
Old Jul 8, 2018, 7:53 pm

Programs: 1MM UA Gold
Mostly, though, unless you’re a vegetarian, I’d just be planning to stop by the Salt Lick and pick up some Hill Country barbecue.
I strongly second that suggestion, their meat is awesomeness.
Old Jul 8, 2018, 8:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Totoro
From that experience, I assumed that once I begin travel, BR/UA would take over control of the ticket from AC.
You’re correct about that. On the day of travel, the operating carrier(s) take over the ticket, and they can force through a reissue in the case of IRROPS. If SFO-AUS gets cancelled, UA can void the AC coupon and issue a UA ticket to get you to IAH. However, this doesn’t apply to voluntary changes like SDC.

Originally Posted by Totoro
I'll try to SDC at SFO. Worst answer I can receive is "no"
The worst answer you can receive is an incorrect “yes.” If the agent agrees, make sure that the boarding pass has an eTicket number printed on it. That should be an indication that there’s a valid coupon attached to the ticket. Whether it will be a 016 ticket number or a 014 (AC) ticket number, I’m not 100% sure, but if neither appears, don’t leave the counter.
Old Jul 8, 2018, 8:52 pm

Programs: UA 1K, FB Silver, BA Bronze
Hi all,

I have a few questions for the SDC experts!

I'm considering doing a MR to SIN for the first time to try to retain my 1K for next year :-)
Q1: If I arrive in SIN on UA1 at 0615 on a Saturday and book a return for UA2 departing at 0845 on the Sunday, can I SDC on arrival to UA38 departing at 10:00 on Saturday? I realize it's a small window...
Q2: Would I increase or decrease my chances by booking a return via NRT departing Sunday around 1AM? It would mean I could try to SDC immediately after arrival so gives me a bigger window but with the big caveat that technically it should not be allowed since SIN-NRT would be on ANA...
Q3: What happens to GPU/RPUs when you SDC?
Q4: What is the maximum number of segments you can SDC? I see people talking about more than 3 segments (>3) being a problem but the wiki seems to suggest that three or more (>=3) is already an issue

Thanks in advance!
Old Jul 8, 2018, 9:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ADW86
Q1: If I arrive in SIN on UA1 at 0615 on a Saturday and book a return for UA2 departing at 0845 on the Sunday, can I SDC on arrival to UA38 departing at 10:00 on Saturday? I realize it's a small window...

If space is available, and you’re traveling before that route is axed, yes, provided you do so right at 0845 so that you can check in.

Q2: Would I increase or decrease my chances by booking a return via NRT departing Sunday around 1AM? It would mean I could try to SDC immediately after arrival so gives me a bigger window but with the big caveat that technically it should not be allowed since SIN-NRT would be on ANA...
No, due to the caveat. It won’t work at all.

Q3: What happens to GPU/RPUs when you SDC?
You lose any confirmed upgrade. If there is open R space, you should be able to reconfirm it. Otherwise, per policy, you’re not even allowed to waitlist — no new waitlist requests within 24 hours. An accommodating agent may bend this policy for you, but understand that you’re requesting a favor.

Q4: What is the maximum number of segments you can SDC? I see people talking about more than 3 segments (>3) being a problem but the wiki seems to suggest that three or more (>=3) is already an issue
There’s no set maximum; however, the app typically won’t show SDC options that include more than one transfer. You need to call / see an agent for these, and you need availability in your fare class in all downline segments to be able to confirm the SDC.
Old Jul 8, 2018, 9:27 pm

Programs: UA 1K, FB Silver, BA Bronze
Thanks for the quick reply jsloan!
No, due to the caveat. It won’t work at all.

So this is not a policy that you could get an accommodating agent to bend?
There’s no set maximum; however, the app typically won’t show SDC options that include more than one transfer. You need to call / see an agent for these, and you need availability in your fare class in all downline segments to be able to confirm the SDC.
So if the return is SIN-SFO-IAH-LFT, does that mean the app won't offer any SDC options?
Old Jul 8, 2018, 9:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So if the return is SIN-SFO-IAH-LFT, does that mean the app won't offer any SDC options?
No problem.

Presuming you have UA codeshares, rather than native NH flight numbers, you may be able to get an agent to bend that policy. (It’s listed as “A” in the wiki).

That’s correct; the app is unlikely to offer any SDC options on SIN-SFO-IAH-LFT.
Old Jul 9, 2018, 7:26 am

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Formerly Starbucks Gold

Not until you board SIN-SFO. The issue is LFT. The app will only give you SDCs that are either one-stop or none from your current location. Meaning SIN-DEN-LFT would be possible if UA flew SIN-DEN and still flew DEN-LFT. But they donb't. Or a SIN-LFT nonstop.

Once you board SIN-SFO, you may see a couple other SFO-IAH-LFT options, and once you board SFO-IAH, you may see a couple IAH-LFT options.

Now, say your destination was IAH, not LFT. Once you board SIN-SFO, you would see many more possibilities as there would be a ton of nonstop and one-stop connections. SFO-xxx-IAH.
Old Jul 9, 2018, 10:08 am

Whats the best option in this scenario: RPU not cleared on 1 of the 2 segments, doesn't look like RPU will clear even at 24 hours before flight (P1), other option look much better for upgrade (P6), should I SDC and if I do, agent will apply RPU on the new flight? I assume that I have to pay for the upfare if I decide to SDC.
Old Jul 9, 2018, 12:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Some anecdotes about SDC'ing with the upgrade lists gone from the app/website.

Originally booked xxx-ORD-yyy with upgrades confirmed on both legs. Decided to try xxx-DEN-yyy with xxx-DEN looking not so great and DEN-yyy looking pretty darn good based on seat map. After getting the SDC processed I went to the website and during check in clicked on the link to pay for the upgrade just to see my place on the upgrade list. For xxx-DEN I was actually #1 for 1 seat. For DEN-yyy I was #4 of 13 with 5 seats open up front. Any number of people will pay for that upgrade as it's another 4 hour flight.

I wound up SDC'ing again to an itinerary through ORD but leaving a bit earlier than my original ORD flight. Both upgrades cleared about 1 hour after making the change. At the time I SDC'd neither flight had R open.

It's just a pity UA removed this data. I would have likely seen that DEN-yyy had almost no one listed on the "already upgraded" list and I would have avoided the flight, even as a 1K on a W fare.

-RM
Old Jul 9, 2018, 12:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Originally Posted by UAFAM
Whats the best option in this scenario: RPU not cleared on 1 of the 2 segments, doesn't look like RPU will clear even at 24 hours before flight (P1), other option look much better for upgrade (P6), should I SDC and if I do, agent will apply RPU on the new flight? I assume that I have to pay for the upfare if I decide to SDC.
We need a little more data to help you like your UA elite status (if any), what flights you're on, etc.. But to help you:
- P6 is a better option but doesn't guarantee upgrade space will open. Is this a long flight or a short flight?
- RPU can only be re-added to the itinerary if the flight is beyond 24 hours. What this means for SDC (if you play by the book) is that once you SDC to new flights the first one immediately is within 24 hours so you can't add an RPU to that. The connection may still be beyond 24 hours so the RPU could be moved to that one. However, you may find an agent who is willing to attach the RPU to the first flight. Note: this assumes that upgrade space isn't confirmable at time of booking for the first flight. If you are trying to move both flights to an earlier time then it's possible the second flight is already within 24 hours and the RPU is not supposed to be applied to the flight (again, by the book).
- You only have to upfare if your original fare class is not available on the new flights you're trying to get on.

My advice is to do this SDC over the phone. When upgrade certificates are involved the app/website can screw up the ticket and also not refund or re-apply your RPU. The agent can also help you identify flights where upgrades look more probable.

Good luck and let us know how you make out.

-RM
Old Jul 9, 2018, 1:07 pm

Bought tickets on UA site 90+ days in advance, RPU applied right after purchase.

UA 2051 TPA-SFO 5.5 hrs flight was 0/20 when I booked and 4/20 @ 60 days prior to the flight, but system NEVER cleared me, this morning was at 15/20.
UA 1589 SFO-HNL 5.5 hrs flight was cleared 60 days before flight.

I was thinking to SDC to TPA-ORD-HNL

Edit: UA 2051 is now 16/20 , this flight used to be on 320 with 12 first class seats until June, I thought changing it to 739 with 20 seats would increase my chance of clearing RPU on this route, but I was wrong, this route is one the toughest domestic route to clear RPU, forget the CPU here completely!

Originally Posted by RobOnLI
My advice is to do this SDC over the phone. When upgrade certificates are involved the app/website can screw up the ticket and also not refund or re-apply your RPU. The agent can also help you identify flights where upgrades look more probable.

Good luck and let us know how you make out.

-RM

Last edited by UAFAM; Jul 9, 2018 at 5:55 pm
Old Jul 10, 2018, 3:11 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus
Hi,
A question regarding SDC for the second leg of an itinerary. (Apologies in advance if this has been answered already... I searched the thread but couldn't find the answer.)

I am currently booked on an itinerary TPA-IAH (5 hour layover)-SFO. I am hoping to change the IAH-SFO leg to an earlier flight, so that I have a shorter layover.
My question: Can I request the SDC for IAH-SFO at T-24 for the departing TPA leg? (i.e. at earliest time of check-in, even though IAH-SFO leg is technically still outside the T-24 window? Or do I need to wait until T-24 for the currently booked IAH-SFO leg?

Thanks!
Old Jul 10, 2018, 3:13 pm

Programs: UA 1K 0.7MM (trying to get to 1MM!)
Originally Posted by cgo111
Hi,
A question regarding SDC for the second leg of an itinerary. (Apologies in advance if this has been answered already... I searched the thread but couldn't find the answer.)

I am currently booked on an itinerary TPA-IAH (5 hour layover)-SFO. I am hoping to change the IAH-SFO leg to an earlier flight, so that I have a shorter layover.
My question: Can I request the SDC for IAH-SFO at T-24 for the departing TPA leg? (i.e. at earliest time of check-in, even though IAH-SFO leg is technically still outside the T-24 window? Or do I need to wait until T-24 for the currently booked IAH-SFO leg?

Thanks!
If TPA-IAH-SFO is all booked as one reservation, you'll be given SDC options for the entire trip at T-24 for the TPA-IAH segment.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.