Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Same-Day Travel Change (SDC) Fees/Questions (with Wiki) {Archive}

Old Jan 4, 2015, 2:01 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This wiki was created to distill SDC (and related standby) down to a set of rules in the hopes of benefiting others.

The official "rules" can be found here. In practice, some of the rules almost always apply, and some are more flexible.

Note there have been reports of SDC to one segment removing confirmed CPU upgrades on downline segments. If maintaining the confirmed upgrade is important then these changes should be handled with care.

Most Frequently Asked Question: When do I call/go online to make the change?
Follow this flowchart:
Question 1: Are you within 24 hours of your currently scheduled UA(*) operated flight that you're trying to change off of? If yes, continue to Question 2. If no, continue to answer 1.
Question 2: Are you within 24 hours of the first UA operated flight you're trying to change on to? If yes, continue to to Answer 2. If no, continue to Answer 1.
Answer 1: No, you cannot call/go online yet to make an SDC.
Answer 2: Yes, then you can call/go online to make an SDC.

General Baseline Rules

These are the general rules that usually apply to SDC's; falling outside these rules usually requires payment of a full change fee and the fare difference:
  • The departure time of the first segment of the old itinerary and the departure time of the first segment of the new itinerary must both be within 24 hours of the moment that the change is made.
  • Only applies to UA/UX operated flights, domestic or international. Changing from a non-UA operated to UA operated may be possible.
  • The ultimate origin and destination airports must remain the same.
  • Routing can be changed (addition, deletion, or change of connection points) but the routing rules of the original fare usually apply.
  • All remaining unflown segments in single fared itinerary are considered together (i.e., if you're flying WWW-XXX-YYY-ZZZ, you can go to a kiosk at XXX and potentially fly XXX-AAA-ZZZ or XXX-ZZZ direct).
  • SDC can be done an unlimited number of times, and can therefore be used to extend a trip indefinitely (pending availability).
  • SDC costs $75 for Members and Silvers - the fee is waived for Golds and up (plus any applicable fare difference, see below). *G's may also get free SDC, although there is no mention of this in the official rules. Once in-route, fees for an earlier connecting flight may be waived per GG SDC Line 118.
  • Non-elites on the same PNR benefit from any waived fees for SDC.
  • No fare difference is charged so long as there is availability on all of the new segments in the originally ticketed fare class. Fare class availability in all classes often opens up after T-24 and almost always opens up at T-3 unless the plane is very full.
  • SDC on bulk tickets, including United Specials, is not permitted.
  • SDC is permitted on both domestic and international itineraries.

How to SDC

SDC can be accomplished in a few different places (in rough order of likelihood of being able to get the rules bent):
  • United mobile app
  • Kiosk
  • Phone
  • On united.com, right now only the "Search Other Flight Options" button during On-Line Check-In (OLCI) works. This has spotty availability, particularly if the change would involve paying an additional fare due to fare bucket non-availability.
  • Counter/Gate (although reports are that most airport agents are not familiar with the SDC policy and may not allow you to SDC to a valid itinerary--you can try to direct them to look up GG SDC, but they often won't understand that what you're trying to do is permitted by those rules)
Please note that the United.com “change flight” link before checking in within T-24, is broken. The website may not show all available options and will often attempt to collect the change fee rather than the SDC fee (if any).

NB: An SDC where the original itinerary (in one direction) has three or more segments cannot be done online.

Nuances and Loose Rules

Now for the hard part: figuring out where the flexibility is in the rules. This list is compiled from the responses to people saying "Can I do X?" where X is something that is not clearly permitted by the rules. One's likelihood of success here depends a bit on the method used for the SDC.

For each item, the following codes apply:
Y = officially permitted and possible using any method
A = not permitted but perhaps possible using an agent (phone/counter), perhaps having to HUACA
A* = mixed reports of success with an agent (phone/counter),
N* = possible only if you find a very accommodating agent
N = little or no reported success.
  • Violating various non-routing fare rules (day/time, minimum stay, etc.): Y
  • Change destination to ultra-close airport (see the old S*FAR/STANDBY): A
  • Change destination to a co-terminal: N*
  • Change destination to an entirely different place: N
  • Change itinerary at the beginning to include illegal layovers (> 4 hours): N*
  • Change itinerary at the layover point (using kiosk, app, or agent) to create an otherwise illegal layover: Y
  • Change itinerary at the beginning to add a layover point not permitted by the routing rules: N*
  • Change itinerary at a layover point to add another layover not permitted (either in terms of number of segments or routing rules) by the routing rules: Y
  • Change to a flight exactly 24 hours before or after the original flight: N*
  • Change to a flight exactly 24 hours before the original flight, if the previous day's flight has been delayed: Y (based on one report)
  • Combining separately-fared segments to do SDC (e.g. XXX-YYY+YYY-ZZZ -> XXX-ZZZ): A
  • Change UA-codeshare, non-UA-metal segment to UA metal: A
  • Change from UA metal to UA-codeshare, non-UA-metal segment: N (see post 1813 for one exception)
  • Change from UA-codeshare, non-UA-metal segment to a different UA-codeshare, non-UA-metal segment: ??
  • Change on a non-UA ticketed segment: N* (with potential dire consequences)
  • Change from an upgraded flight into Y on the new flight: Y
  • Change from a GPU-upgraded flight into J/F on the new flight: A
  • Change from a CPU-upgraded flight and get confirmed into available R space on the new flight: N*
  • Change from an instrument-upgraded flight and get confirmed into available R space on the new flight: A*
  • Non-elite on different PNR benefiting from Elite's waived-fee SDC: A
  • Change at origin airport after tendering a checked bag: N
  • Change at layover airport when a bag has been checked: N

If you encounter issues with an agent (phone or counter/gate), you can ask the agent to reference GG SDC. Additionally, GG SDC line 61 specifically references that fare classes are supposed to level out 3.5 hours before departure, so you might be able to use that to your advantage if fare classes have not leveled out and you're trying to ask an agent to open up the correct inventory or force you onto the flight.

Note -- as of 11/27/2017: A datapoint indicates that UA may have updated its GG rule regarding leveling out to state the following:

Code:
EVERYDAY AWARD AND REVENUE BUCKETS ARE TO LEVEL OUT WITHIN 2H OF DEPARTURE
Standby
You may stand by if seats are not available in the purchased fare class. In these cases, the same-day change fee will apply, but will not be charged unless you are assigned a seat on your alternate flight. Changes in routing are not allowed when standing by. Standby may be requested on the day of departure at an airport kiosk or with a United representative at the airport. Once you are added to the flight standby list, you can check your real-time standby status at united.com/flightstatus or on your mobile device at mobile.united.com/info.

Instead of paying a same-day change discounted fee, can I stand by for my desired flight for free?
No. The only time you may standby for free is when the fare does not have any penalties for making changes, or when standing by involuntarily due to a flight irregularity.

Can I pay the same-day change discount fee with cash?
Cash will only be accepted by a United airport representative when the change is available to be confirmed, not for standby travel.

original posting by mgcsinc, initiated by jackal

Previous threads:
UA Same-Day Travel Change (SDC) Fees/Questions *now with WikiPost* {pre-2015 Archive}
Print Wikipost

UA Same-Day Travel Change (SDC) Fees/Questions (with Wiki) {Archive}

Old Jul 2, 2018, 6:08 pm

Programs: UA platinum
Hope and prayer

Right now, lots of open seats, 740 and 1020 am direct flight, platinum membership should push me up the ladder on waitlist
Old Jul 2, 2018, 6:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by emcampbe

you can not, at least by the rules, do standby for what the OP wants. Standby is allowed for awards, but rules require same routing. Perhaps an agent at the airport will allow a one-stop to a nonstop, since you don’t incur the same risk as the other way around (clear one flight, then not the other with nothing else confirmed). Though still against the rules, and I’d guess still unlikely that an agent will oblige,IMO.
I have had absolutely zero issues doing SDC and SDS on award tickets, including changing routes.
Old Jul 2, 2018, 6:10 pm

Worth calling the premier line?

Will it mess up anything?
Old Jul 2, 2018, 6:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by shri11
Will it mess up anything?
to do what? SDS you'll want to do at the airport. SDC I would recommend the app.
Old Jul 2, 2018, 6:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by shri11
platinum membership should push me up the ladder on waitlist
What waitlist? Use SDC. (You should update your profile - it still says Gold.)
Old Jul 2, 2018, 6:38 pm

Programs: United 1MM GS, Marriott Platinum Elite, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by cfischer
I have had absolutely zero issues doing SDC and SDS on award tickets, including changing routes.
I think the only caveat is there may be difficulty to change from a non-PS routing to a PS routing? I know vice-versa works. Otherwise no problems on SDC/SDS on award tickets.
Old Jul 2, 2018, 6:52 pm

Thanks all!

Appreciate very much!
Old Jul 2, 2018, 7:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by cfischer
to do what? SDS you'll want to do at the airport. SDC I would recommend the app.
Standby isn’t a matter of ‘wanting’ to do at the airport, but that’s the only way to actually do standby. Not even sure phone agents can put someone on standby, even if they want to.

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
What waitlist? Use SDC. (You should update your profile - it still says Gold.)
Assuming there is X space available of course. I didn’t see date, but OP is trying to get onto a non-stop hub-to-hub flight, which except for off days, like perhaps Sat. morning, for example, are going to be tough to find. Probably a big part of the reason they had to book via AUS to get a saver rate, because of all the routes, hub to hub are going to probably be the most difficult to find X space on. I wish the OP luck, but let’s be honest here, chance of X space opening up last minute on most hub to hub flights is going to be pretty small. These are flights that are typically full.

Perhaps OP could do SDC with a fare difference if Xspace doesn’t open up, but not sure how that works realistically.

Originally Posted by SFOdelayed
I think the only caveat is there may be difficulty to change from a non-PS routing to a PS routing? I know vice-versa works. Otherwise no problems on SDC/SDS on award tickets.
again, OP is trying to change routing, so standby may or may not work - certainly by the book, it’s not supposed to be an option. You’re at the mercy of the agent willing to break rules/policy for you. Someone above said they’ve had no problem doing that - which is great for them - but there is a decent if not greater chance that an agent won’t put OP on standby for what they want. Wouldn’t want the OP to get false hope, or worse, engage with an agent on a point of them not breaking the rules for them. I actually think it’s ok to ask, as long as the OP does so politely, and knows any positive answer is indeed a favor, and any negative answer shouldn’t result in engaging the agent on the point or trying to ‘HUCA’, so to speak.
Old Jul 2, 2018, 8:56 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Standby isn’t a matter of ‘wanting’ to do at the airport, but that’s the only way to actually do standby. Not even sure phone agents can put someone on standby, even if they want to. ...
That mabye changing
Originally Posted by davie355
I'm within 24 hours of my originally booked departure. I clicked "Change Flight" and was shown a list of results -- from $0 onward, as usual.

I clicked one of those options. On the next screen, I was given the option to change flights again. I did, and this time, I was shown an expanded list of results -- some of which said $0 / Standby. So I clicked one of those. ....

Perhaps OP could do SDC with a fare difference if Xspace doesn’t open up, but not sure how that works realistically. ...
to a standard award?
Old Jul 2, 2018, 9:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by davie355
I'm within 24 hours of my originally booked departure. I clicked "Change Flight" and was shown a list of results -- from $0 onward, as usual.

I clicked one of those options. On the next screen, I was given the option to change flights again. I did, and this time, I was shown an expanded list of results -- some of which said $0 / Standby. So I clicked one of those.

I'd never seen the standby option before, but I've also not flown United in a while, so I assumed this is relatively new functionality.
Actually I have occasionally seen this. I stopped checking recently, but I have had it offered at least a year ago. I never tried it, though.
Old Jul 2, 2018, 9:54 pm

Programs: UA 1K 0.7MM (trying to get to 1MM!)
I have a flight with a coworker (on my PNR) coming up tomorrow from AAA-BBB-CCC. When I checked us in, it split the reservation due to CPU chances, and now I have a different PNR from him. We attempted to SDC to an earlier flight from AAA-BBB, but after I successfully changed my flight, that flight was no longer an option for him. So, I changed back to the original flight so that we are booked/traveling together. I called UA to ask what happened, and the agent I spoke to said that there was only 1 seat available in our fare class (W). However, when I looked online, I didn't see any W fares available, and E was the lowest economy fare for purchase. She mentioned that it may be possible to standby for the earlier flight tomorrow if space opens up, because only one of us could have SDCd to the flight. Having never actually flown standby, how do I get put on the list? Do I have to speak to the gate agent for our flight? Or can I go to the check-in and bag drop area (we aren't checking bags, but the Premier line should be relatively short or non-existent, so I don't know if that will work). Or maybe a kiosk by the check-in counter?

She also said that if we're able to get confirmed seats, that we'll be put on the CPU list along with other people waiting for CPUs. Is that the case, or wouldn't we be put on the list after all the CPUs for people who weren't flying standby? Or does that depend on the flight loading? For example, if they know there are 10 open seats, and we're number 1 and 2 on the standby list, they could clear us pretty much immediately after being put on the standby list (and therefore get on the CPU list along with other waiting for CPU), but if we are numbers 1 and 2 and there are only 2 seats available, then we might not have as good of a chance of the standby list clearing, so we'd have to wait for that, meaning they'd process/board everyone else, and then we'd get 2 seats (and no CPU, since the CPUs will have already been processed)?

Also, if standby can only be done at the airport, how are there already 13 people on the standby list, and it's still the day before the flight?

Last edited by mpiotrow; Jul 2, 2018 at 10:35 pm
Old Jul 2, 2018, 10:28 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
I've done SDC before, but don't normally use the App, Kind of like full UAL.com, but seems from reading that the App may be more generous.

I've got an AA-BB-CC with BB-CC being once a day, but would like to SDC to later AA-BB flight.

What say you, wait to see if "K" shows up to check in (I have the seat I want on AA-BB, so need to check in early)? Via App, via browser? My thinking is to wait to check in to see if "K" shows up, in which case I *should* be offered later flight. As 1K I believe I can also call in for free.

What say you, SDC experts? I like to think I know .bomb fairly well, but suspect I've cheated myself out of SDC before
Old Jul 2, 2018, 10:41 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by mpiotrow
Also, if standby can only be done at the airport, how are there already 13 people on the standby list, and it's still the day before the flight?
Passengers who misconnected, had flights canceled, etc., today (or yesterday, or even before that).
Old Jul 2, 2018, 10:48 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by EmailKid
I've got an AA-BB-CC with BB-CC being once a day, but would like to SDC to later AA-BB flight.

What say you, wait to see if "K" shows up to check in ...(
You will need K (original fare class) on both flights to make the change to AA-BB
Old Jul 2, 2018, 10:50 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by mpiotrow
I have a flight with a coworker (on my PNR) coming up tomorrow from AAA-BBB-CCC. When I checked us in, it split the reservation due to CPU chances, and now I have a different PNR from him. We attempted to SDC to an earlier flight from AAA-BBB, but after I successfully changed my flight, that flight was no longer an option for him. So, I changed back to the original flight so that we are booked/traveling together. I called UA to ask what happened, and the agent I spoke to said that there was only 1 seat available in our fare class (W). However, when I looked online, I didn't see any W fares available, and E was the lowest economy fare for purchase. She mentioned that it may be possible to standby for the earlier flight tomorrow if space opens up, because only one of us could have SDCd to the flight. Having never actually flown standby, how do I get put on the list? Do I have to speak to the gate agent for our flight? Or can I go to the check-in and bag drop area (we aren't checking bags, but the Premier line should be relatively short or non-existent, so I don't know if that will work). Or maybe a kiosk by the check-in counter?

She also said that if we're able to get confirmed seats, that we'll be put on the CPU list along with other people waiting for CPUs. Is that the case, or wouldn't we be put on the list after all the CPUs for people who weren't flying standby? Or does that depend on the flight loading? For example, if they know there are 10 open seats, and we're number 1 and 2 on the standby list, they could clear us pretty much immediately after being put on the standby list (and therefore get on the CPU list along with other waiting for CPU), but if we are numbers 1 and 2 and there are only 2 seats available, then we might not have as good of a chance of the standby list clearing, so we'd have to wait for that, meaning they'd process/board everyone else, and then we'd get 2 seats (and no CPU, since the CPUs will have already been processed)?

Originally Posted by joe_miami
Passengers who misconnected, had flights canceled, etc., today (or yesterday, or even before that).
Pax who purchase a ticket once all the "free" seat have been consumed are placed on standby list (visible at T-24). Additionally, non revs would be on the list, and I see a TON of them this week. And quite few of them will be making FC this week by the looks of it.

Guess that would make up for all those middle seats they get on full flights ....

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.