Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Same-Day Travel Change (SDC) Fees/Questions (with Wiki) {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 4, 2015, 2:01 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This wiki was created to distill SDC (and related standby) down to a set of rules in the hopes of benefiting others.

The official "rules" can be found here. In practice, some of the rules almost always apply, and some are more flexible.

Note there have been reports of SDC to one segment removing confirmed CPU upgrades on downline segments. If maintaining the confirmed upgrade is important then these changes should be handled with care.

Most Frequently Asked Question: When do I call/go online to make the change?
Follow this flowchart:
Question 1: Are you within 24 hours of your currently scheduled UA(*) operated flight that you're trying to change off of? If yes, continue to Question 2. If no, continue to answer 1.
Question 2: Are you within 24 hours of the first UA operated flight you're trying to change on to? If yes, continue to to Answer 2. If no, continue to Answer 1.
Answer 1: No, you cannot call/go online yet to make an SDC.
Answer 2: Yes, then you can call/go online to make an SDC.

General Baseline Rules

These are the general rules that usually apply to SDC's; falling outside these rules usually requires payment of a full change fee and the fare difference:
  • The departure time of the first segment of the old itinerary and the departure time of the first segment of the new itinerary must both be within 24 hours of the moment that the change is made.
  • Only applies to UA/UX operated flights, domestic or international. Changing from a non-UA operated to UA operated may be possible.
  • The ultimate origin and destination airports must remain the same.
  • Routing can be changed (addition, deletion, or change of connection points) but the routing rules of the original fare usually apply.
  • All remaining unflown segments in single fared itinerary are considered together (i.e., if you're flying WWW-XXX-YYY-ZZZ, you can go to a kiosk at XXX and potentially fly XXX-AAA-ZZZ or XXX-ZZZ direct).
  • SDC can be done an unlimited number of times, and can therefore be used to extend a trip indefinitely (pending availability).
  • SDC costs $75 for Members and Silvers - the fee is waived for Golds and up (plus any applicable fare difference, see below). *G's may also get free SDC, although there is no mention of this in the official rules. Once in-route, fees for an earlier connecting flight may be waived per GG SDC Line 118.
  • Non-elites on the same PNR benefit from any waived fees for SDC.
  • No fare difference is charged so long as there is availability on all of the new segments in the originally ticketed fare class. Fare class availability in all classes often opens up after T-24 and almost always opens up at T-3 unless the plane is very full.
  • SDC on bulk tickets, including United Specials, is not permitted.
  • SDC is permitted on both domestic and international itineraries.

How to SDC

SDC can be accomplished in a few different places (in rough order of likelihood of being able to get the rules bent):
  • United mobile app
  • Kiosk
  • Phone
  • On united.com, right now only the "Search Other Flight Options" button during On-Line Check-In (OLCI) works. This has spotty availability, particularly if the change would involve paying an additional fare due to fare bucket non-availability.
  • Counter/Gate (although reports are that most airport agents are not familiar with the SDC policy and may not allow you to SDC to a valid itinerary--you can try to direct them to look up GG SDC, but they often won't understand that what you're trying to do is permitted by those rules)
Please note that the United.com “change flight” link before checking in within T-24, is broken. The website may not show all available options and will often attempt to collect the change fee rather than the SDC fee (if any).

NB: An SDC where the original itinerary (in one direction) has three or more segments cannot be done online.

Nuances and Loose Rules

Now for the hard part: figuring out where the flexibility is in the rules. This list is compiled from the responses to people saying "Can I do X?" where X is something that is not clearly permitted by the rules. One's likelihood of success here depends a bit on the method used for the SDC.

For each item, the following codes apply:
Y = officially permitted and possible using any method
A = not permitted but perhaps possible using an agent (phone/counter), perhaps having to HUACA
A* = mixed reports of success with an agent (phone/counter),
N* = possible only if you find a very accommodating agent
N = little or no reported success.
  • Violating various non-routing fare rules (day/time, minimum stay, etc.): Y
  • Change destination to ultra-close airport (see the old S*FAR/STANDBY): A
  • Change destination to a co-terminal: N*
  • Change destination to an entirely different place: N
  • Change itinerary at the beginning to include illegal layovers (> 4 hours): N*
  • Change itinerary at the layover point (using kiosk, app, or agent) to create an otherwise illegal layover: Y
  • Change itinerary at the beginning to add a layover point not permitted by the routing rules: N*
  • Change itinerary at a layover point to add another layover not permitted (either in terms of number of segments or routing rules) by the routing rules: Y
  • Change to a flight exactly 24 hours before or after the original flight: N*
  • Change to a flight exactly 24 hours before the original flight, if the previous day's flight has been delayed: Y (based on one report)
  • Combining separately-fared segments to do SDC (e.g. XXX-YYY+YYY-ZZZ -> XXX-ZZZ): A
  • Change UA-codeshare, non-UA-metal segment to UA metal: A
  • Change from UA metal to UA-codeshare, non-UA-metal segment: N (see post 1813 for one exception)
  • Change from UA-codeshare, non-UA-metal segment to a different UA-codeshare, non-UA-metal segment: ??
  • Change on a non-UA ticketed segment: N* (with potential dire consequences)
  • Change from an upgraded flight into Y on the new flight: Y
  • Change from a GPU-upgraded flight into J/F on the new flight: A
  • Change from a CPU-upgraded flight and get confirmed into available R space on the new flight: N*
  • Change from an instrument-upgraded flight and get confirmed into available R space on the new flight: A*
  • Non-elite on different PNR benefiting from Elite's waived-fee SDC: A
  • Change at origin airport after tendering a checked bag: N
  • Change at layover airport when a bag has been checked: N

If you encounter issues with an agent (phone or counter/gate), you can ask the agent to reference GG SDC. Additionally, GG SDC line 61 specifically references that fare classes are supposed to level out 3.5 hours before departure, so you might be able to use that to your advantage if fare classes have not leveled out and you're trying to ask an agent to open up the correct inventory or force you onto the flight.

Note -- as of 11/27/2017: A datapoint indicates that UA may have updated its GG rule regarding leveling out to state the following:

Code:
EVERYDAY AWARD AND REVENUE BUCKETS ARE TO LEVEL OUT WITHIN 2H OF DEPARTURE
Standby
You may stand by if seats are not available in the purchased fare class. In these cases, the same-day change fee will apply, but will not be charged unless you are assigned a seat on your alternate flight. Changes in routing are not allowed when standing by. Standby may be requested on the day of departure at an airport kiosk or with a United representative at the airport. Once you are added to the flight standby list, you can check your real-time standby status at united.com/flightstatus or on your mobile device at mobile.united.com/info.

Instead of paying a same-day change discounted fee, can I stand by for my desired flight for free?
No. The only time you may standby for free is when the fare does not have any penalties for making changes, or when standing by involuntarily due to a flight irregularity.

Can I pay the same-day change discount fee with cash?
Cash will only be accepted by a United airport representative when the change is available to be confirmed, not for standby travel.

original posting by mgcsinc, initiated by jackal

Previous threads:
UA Same-Day Travel Change (SDC) Fees/Questions *now with WikiPost* {pre-2015 Archive}
Print Wikipost

UA Same-Day Travel Change (SDC) Fees/Questions (with Wiki) {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16, 2018, 12:08 am

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
Originally Posted by onthesam
I have a P fare ORD-SLC Saturday evening. Any reason to think SDC to the 12:45 would not be in the cards? P=5 on the 175...
If anything, P fares are relatively safe. If it zeroes out due to buy-ups and upgrades, just wait till about T-3 and check. Assuming more buy-ups haven't completely filled out the cabin, P will open up.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 6:38 pm

Programs: AS G75K, UA Silver
The loose SDC rules still appear to exist. I just flew ZRH-EWR-SFO-IAD-SEA. It seemed like I could effectively fly for a straight week based on the routings offered at each stop

A question on standby:
If I book an X award for an evening flight, can I list as a standby for a morning flight even if X never opens up?
Old Mar 16, 2018, 10:43 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Amex Plat, UA Club Card, National EE, Global Entry, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by pushmyredbutton
The loose SDC rules still appear to exist. I just flew ZRH-EWR-SFO-IAD-SEA. It seemed like I could effectively fly for a straight week based on the routings offered at each stop

A question on standby:
If I book an X award for an evening flight, can I list as a standby for a morning flight even if X never opens up?
Yes, however, not sure if you have business saver and the same rules apply. If they do, that would be awesome!
Old Mar 19, 2018, 1:42 am

Programs: Continental OnePass
I've never done a SDC before but I have an itinerary coming up in a few weeks in which I am in no rush to reach the destination so I though i may try a SDC (I'm Platinum) to get more PQM. I have read the wiki, but I have a few questions.

1. So I have to wait until I am within 24 hours of both the itinerary I have reserved AND the itinerary I want to switch to, right?

2. Does it matter whether the reservation was made directly through united or through a TA?

3. I assume the return potion of my journey will be unaffected?

4. Where do I actually go in the app to request a SDC? Do I view my itinerary and then scroll down to the big yellow button saying change flights, or somewhere else?

Thanks.
Old Mar 19, 2018, 7:01 am

Originally Posted by swiftaw
I've never done a SDC before but I have an itinerary coming up in a few weeks in which I am in no rush to reach the destination so I though i may try a SDC (I'm Platinum) to get more PQM. I have read the wiki, but I have a few questions.

1. So I have to wait until I am within 24 hours of both the itinerary I have reserved AND the itinerary I want to switch to, right?

2. Does it matter whether the reservation was made directly through united or through a TA?

3. I assume the return potion of my journey will be unaffected?

4. Where do I actually go in the app to request a SDC? Do I view my itinerary and then scroll down to the big yellow button saying change flights, or somewhere else?

Thanks.
1. Yes to both
2. Depends. I've had SDC not offered sometimes if booked through a TA. It depends on the type of ticket your TA issued. If there's no online option, call. You might have to HUCA a couple times.
3. Yes; unaffected.
4. After you have checked in, refresh your reservation. When you click it a popup window should appear with something that says "Travel Options". Once you click that you'll get the normal page that says "Upgrade to Business for $XXXX dollars, Change Flight, Change Seats.". You want the change flights one. Again, if this is booked through a TA, that option may not appear.
Old Mar 19, 2018, 7:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by laxmillenial
4. After you have checked in, refresh your reservation. When you click it a popup window should appear with something that says "Travel Options". Once you click that you'll get the normal page that says "Upgrade to Business for $XXXX dollars, Change Flight, Change Seats.". You want the change flights one. Again, if this is booked through a TA, that option may not appear.
You should (may) get the same option during the check-in process also, just before you finalize your check-in.

It pays to check back from time to time, as inventory can shift around and the available options will change.
Old Mar 19, 2018, 9:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jsloan
You should (may) get the same option during the check-in process also, just before you finalize your check-in.

It pays to check back from time to time, as inventory can shift around and the available options will change.
It can change quite often, even when the flight is the next day (i.e. not in the 'levelling out' time frame). I have seen connections being offered then disappearing again in the span of ten minutes.
Old Mar 19, 2018, 10:16 am

Programs: UA 1k, AS 75k, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist
Can I SDC a segment on an award flight where I'm waitlisted for I space? Will I still be waitlisted for I space?
Old Mar 19, 2018, 10:21 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM
Originally Posted by zymm
Can I SDC a segment on an award flight where I'm waitlisted for I space? Will I still be waitlisted for I space?
Yes and no, respectively. A good/nice agent might be able to preserve the WL, but I think it's out of policy (24h rule applies for I(N) as well as R).
Old Mar 19, 2018, 12:39 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum
ATL-YYZ

I have a K class economy fare scheduled for early Monday departure March 26. Two of us; we are ticketed together. ATL-YYZ non-stop. Would like to change it to Sunday departure. I have no status with United, but belong to their club and have United credit card. I called and the agent said a SDC is 24 hour window and in the same fare bucket. There is no availability at this point; to change would cost me 200.00 change fee plus 500.00+ one way fare so that is out of the question. If fare class opens up will be 75.00 change fee 24 hour window of travel. My question is--can I same day stand-by at the airport on Sunday--and pay the 75.00 fee--but I won’t have to pay up for fare class? How do I check a bag if that is the case? The agent I called was very dismissive and not helpful. This is an Air Canada code share but was booked on United web site so I believe I am good there--correct? Thanks in advance for any and all advice.
Old Mar 19, 2018, 12:42 pm

Programs: UA1K
you cannot SDC on non-UA flights. since you are on AC you are out of luck. as for standby, i am not sure. whatever the AC standby rules would apply.
Old Mar 19, 2018, 12:43 pm

Originally Posted by joyoustravel
I have a K class economy fare scheduled for early Monday departure March 26. Two of us; we are ticketed together. ATL-YYZ non-stop. Would like to change it to Sunday departure. I have no status with United, but belong to their club and have United credit card. I called and the agent said a SDC is 24 hour window and in the same fare bucket. There is no availability at this point; to change would cost me 200.00 change fee plus 500.00+ one way fare so that is out of the question. If fare class opens up will be 75.00 change fee 24 hour window of travel. My question is--can I same day stand-by at the airport on Sunday--and pay the 75.00 fee--but I won’t have to pay up for fare class? How do I check a bag if that is the case? The agent I called was very dismissive and not helpful. This is an Air Canada code share but was booked on United web site so I believe I am good there--correct? Thanks in advance for any and all advice.
Your flights are operated by Air Canada. Therefore, they are not eligible for SDC.

You cannot do a 'different-day' standby, meaning go to airport on Sunday and try to go 'standby' for that flight, instead of your original Monday flight. Standbys must be on the same calendar day. All of these things however, assume the flight is Operated by United, which in your case, is not.
Old Mar 19, 2018, 12:55 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
I’m flying XXX-IAH-FLL on a K fare next week and would like to SDC to the same itinerary the afternoon before (i.e., about 16 hours earlier). The two individual flights are K9 and seem wide open, but searching together shows K0. If K were to reopen for this itinerary, how soon should I expect it? If it’s more like T-3 instead of T-24, that would leave a mad dash to the airport. Thanks.
Old Mar 19, 2018, 2:15 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum
Stand by options

Originally Posted by laxmillenial
Your flights are operated by Air Canada. Therefore, they are not eligible for SDC.

You cannot do a 'different-day' standby, meaning go to airport on Sunday and try to go 'standby' for that flight, instead of your original Monday flight. Standbys must be on the same calendar day. All of these things however, assume the flight is Operated by United, which in your case, is not.
The agent I spoke with this a.m. said it was a 24 hour window. Before or after. However, I don’t want to get to the airport and realize a phone agent was wrong. Also, I believe my ticket starts with 016--and on United website it says tickets starting with those numbers qualify as United. ( I am a 2 million miler with Delta--so I know my way around at Delta. This is all new to me, sorry for any redundancy.) United and Air Canada are code-share partners-- you are saying is even tho that is the case--no way will Air Canada accommodate me on a stand by basis?
Old Mar 19, 2018, 2:30 pm

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
Originally Posted by joyoustravel
The agent I spoke with this a.m. said it was a 24 hour window. Before or after. However, I don’t want to get to the airport and realize a phone agent was wrong. Also, I believe my ticket starts with 016--and on United website it says tickets starting with those numbers qualify as United. ( I am a 2 million miler with Delta--so I know my way around at Delta. This is all new to me, sorry for any redundancy.) United and Air Canada are code-share partners-- you are saying is even tho that is the case--no way will Air Canada accommodate me on a stand by basis?
UA's rules don't apply to your itinerary - once you check in Sunday, it will be with Air Canada with the AC PNR. AC's rules appear to be same-day - you need to check the AC forum or call an agent. It's possible, depending on your fare, to do a Same-Day Confirmed standby for $75 (or more if you are on a Tango fare). That money will go to AC, not UA. More here. As I mentioned, I'm not sure if you can go from Monday to Sunday like you are trying to do... Per the link you could go to the airport as 'regular' standby (nothing confirmed), but that has obvious risks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.