Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Same-Day Travel Change (SDC) Fees/Questions (with Wiki) {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 4, 2015, 2:01 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This wiki was created to distill SDC (and related standby) down to a set of rules in the hopes of benefiting others.

The official "rules" can be found here. In practice, some of the rules almost always apply, and some are more flexible.

Note there have been reports of SDC to one segment removing confirmed CPU upgrades on downline segments. If maintaining the confirmed upgrade is important then these changes should be handled with care.

Most Frequently Asked Question: When do I call/go online to make the change?
Follow this flowchart:
Question 1: Are you within 24 hours of your currently scheduled UA(*) operated flight that you're trying to change off of? If yes, continue to Question 2. If no, continue to answer 1.
Question 2: Are you within 24 hours of the first UA operated flight you're trying to change on to? If yes, continue to to Answer 2. If no, continue to Answer 1.
Answer 1: No, you cannot call/go online yet to make an SDC.
Answer 2: Yes, then you can call/go online to make an SDC.

General Baseline Rules

These are the general rules that usually apply to SDC's; falling outside these rules usually requires payment of a full change fee and the fare difference:
  • The departure time of the first segment of the old itinerary and the departure time of the first segment of the new itinerary must both be within 24 hours of the moment that the change is made.
  • Only applies to UA/UX operated flights, domestic or international. Changing from a non-UA operated to UA operated may be possible.
  • The ultimate origin and destination airports must remain the same.
  • Routing can be changed (addition, deletion, or change of connection points) but the routing rules of the original fare usually apply.
  • All remaining unflown segments in single fared itinerary are considered together (i.e., if you're flying WWW-XXX-YYY-ZZZ, you can go to a kiosk at XXX and potentially fly XXX-AAA-ZZZ or XXX-ZZZ direct).
  • SDC can be done an unlimited number of times, and can therefore be used to extend a trip indefinitely (pending availability).
  • SDC costs $75 for Members and Silvers - the fee is waived for Golds and up (plus any applicable fare difference, see below). *G's may also get free SDC, although there is no mention of this in the official rules. Once in-route, fees for an earlier connecting flight may be waived per GG SDC Line 118.
  • Non-elites on the same PNR benefit from any waived fees for SDC.
  • No fare difference is charged so long as there is availability on all of the new segments in the originally ticketed fare class. Fare class availability in all classes often opens up after T-24 and almost always opens up at T-3 unless the plane is very full.
  • SDC on bulk tickets, including United Specials, is not permitted.
  • SDC is permitted on both domestic and international itineraries.

How to SDC

SDC can be accomplished in a few different places (in rough order of likelihood of being able to get the rules bent):
  • United mobile app
  • Kiosk
  • Phone
  • On united.com, right now only the "Search Other Flight Options" button during On-Line Check-In (OLCI) works. This has spotty availability, particularly if the change would involve paying an additional fare due to fare bucket non-availability.
  • Counter/Gate (although reports are that most airport agents are not familiar with the SDC policy and may not allow you to SDC to a valid itinerary--you can try to direct them to look up GG SDC, but they often won't understand that what you're trying to do is permitted by those rules)
Please note that the United.com “change flight” link before checking in within T-24, is broken. The website may not show all available options and will often attempt to collect the change fee rather than the SDC fee (if any).

NB: An SDC where the original itinerary (in one direction) has three or more segments cannot be done online.

Nuances and Loose Rules

Now for the hard part: figuring out where the flexibility is in the rules. This list is compiled from the responses to people saying "Can I do X?" where X is something that is not clearly permitted by the rules. One's likelihood of success here depends a bit on the method used for the SDC.

For each item, the following codes apply:
Y = officially permitted and possible using any method
A = not permitted but perhaps possible using an agent (phone/counter), perhaps having to HUACA
A* = mixed reports of success with an agent (phone/counter),
N* = possible only if you find a very accommodating agent
N = little or no reported success.
  • Violating various non-routing fare rules (day/time, minimum stay, etc.): Y
  • Change destination to ultra-close airport (see the old S*FAR/STANDBY): A
  • Change destination to a co-terminal: N*
  • Change destination to an entirely different place: N
  • Change itinerary at the beginning to include illegal layovers (> 4 hours): N*
  • Change itinerary at the layover point (using kiosk, app, or agent) to create an otherwise illegal layover: Y
  • Change itinerary at the beginning to add a layover point not permitted by the routing rules: N*
  • Change itinerary at a layover point to add another layover not permitted (either in terms of number of segments or routing rules) by the routing rules: Y
  • Change to a flight exactly 24 hours before or after the original flight: N*
  • Change to a flight exactly 24 hours before the original flight, if the previous day's flight has been delayed: Y (based on one report)
  • Combining separately-fared segments to do SDC (e.g. XXX-YYY+YYY-ZZZ -> XXX-ZZZ): A
  • Change UA-codeshare, non-UA-metal segment to UA metal: A
  • Change from UA metal to UA-codeshare, non-UA-metal segment: N (see post 1813 for one exception)
  • Change from UA-codeshare, non-UA-metal segment to a different UA-codeshare, non-UA-metal segment: ??
  • Change on a non-UA ticketed segment: N* (with potential dire consequences)
  • Change from an upgraded flight into Y on the new flight: Y
  • Change from a GPU-upgraded flight into J/F on the new flight: A
  • Change from a CPU-upgraded flight and get confirmed into available R space on the new flight: N*
  • Change from an instrument-upgraded flight and get confirmed into available R space on the new flight: A*
  • Non-elite on different PNR benefiting from Elite's waived-fee SDC: A
  • Change at origin airport after tendering a checked bag: N
  • Change at layover airport when a bag has been checked: N

If you encounter issues with an agent (phone or counter/gate), you can ask the agent to reference GG SDC. Additionally, GG SDC line 61 specifically references that fare classes are supposed to level out 3.5 hours before departure, so you might be able to use that to your advantage if fare classes have not leveled out and you're trying to ask an agent to open up the correct inventory or force you onto the flight.

Note -- as of 11/27/2017: A datapoint indicates that UA may have updated its GG rule regarding leveling out to state the following:

Code:
EVERYDAY AWARD AND REVENUE BUCKETS ARE TO LEVEL OUT WITHIN 2H OF DEPARTURE
Standby
You may stand by if seats are not available in the purchased fare class. In these cases, the same-day change fee will apply, but will not be charged unless you are assigned a seat on your alternate flight. Changes in routing are not allowed when standing by. Standby may be requested on the day of departure at an airport kiosk or with a United representative at the airport. Once you are added to the flight standby list, you can check your real-time standby status at united.com/flightstatus or on your mobile device at mobile.united.com/info.

Instead of paying a same-day change discounted fee, can I stand by for my desired flight for free?
No. The only time you may standby for free is when the fare does not have any penalties for making changes, or when standing by involuntarily due to a flight irregularity.

Can I pay the same-day change discount fee with cash?
Cash will only be accepted by a United airport representative when the change is available to be confirmed, not for standby travel.

original posting by mgcsinc, initiated by jackal

Previous threads:
UA Same-Day Travel Change (SDC) Fees/Questions *now with WikiPost* {pre-2015 Archive}
Print Wikipost

UA Same-Day Travel Change (SDC) Fees/Questions (with Wiki) {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25, 2018, 6:10 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by jsloan
Yes, exactly; if you can find inventory, that's exactly what you can do. Of course, if the P space disappears, you may find yourself having to take a flight that you never actually wanted to be on.
Right. I guess the bright side of UA only flying to PTY from two cities is that I can’t get stuck with anything too bad.

The reason that you can't change to FLL-EWR-PTY for $51 is that EWR isn't an allowed transfer point on a UA FLL-PTY fare. (It is, after all, in nearly the exact wrong direction . IAH is the only valid transfer point, and that's only because they don't have any hub that's less out of the way. FLL-PTY is 1171 miles; FLL-IAH-PTY is 2737, and FLL-EWR-PTY is 3265.
That’s what I figured, but I wasn’t positive since EWR consistently popped up as a “change flights” option and I wasn’t sure if it would show impermissible transfer points.

Am I correct that those rules go out the window, within reason, once one is within the SDC window, or could I be wasting my time by trying to push back my March 1 trip long enough to try to SDC to the March 2 EWR-PTY?

Thanks again for your help. You’ve added a lot to this thread, and to the UA forum generally.
Old Feb 25, 2018, 6:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by joe_miami
Right. I guess the bright side of UA only flying to PTY from two cities is that I can’t get stuck with anything too bad.

That’s what I figured, but I wasn’t positive since EWR consistently popped up as a “change flights” option and I wasn’t sure if it would show impermissible transfer points.

Am I correct that those rules go out the window, within reason, once one is within the SDC window, or could I be wasting my time by trying to push back my March 1 trip long enough to try to SDC to the March 2 EWR-PTY?

Thanks again for your help. You’ve added a lot to this thread, and to the UA forum generally.
Happy to help It's not that it's an impermissible transfer point -- you're welcome to fly FLL-IAD-CKB-ORD-CAK-EWR-PTY if you want. It's just that it creates a fare break -- your existing FLL-PTY fare won't cover that routing, so it has to compute two combinable fares to get you there -- one to EWR and then one to PTY. It will actually sometimes do this to save you money even if it's not strictly required -- for example, AUS-LAX-LAS is a valid transfer on an AUS-LAS fare; however, I frequently get offered a broken AUS-LAX and LAX-LAS fare instead, because cheap fares exist in both the AUS-LAX and LAX-LAS markets that don't exist on AUS-LAS.

This is a big issue for SDC, BTW -- once you've purchased a broken fare, you're more or less committed to transferring through the fare break points; in my example, I wouldn't be able to SDC to AUS-IAH-LAS, because I don't have an AUS-LAS fare.

As for your specific situation -- it's a bit of a grey area. Technically, SDC is just a change fee waiver, and differences of fare are supposed to apply. However, as you know, the app has been showing all kinds of weird options recently -- and even before it went nuts, it was common to have an extra routing option that wasn't technically valid. (Example: I would commonly see AUS-ORD-SEA even though ORD isn't a valid connection point for this route).

So -- there's a good chance that the app would allow this, and there's a decent chance that an agent would allow it if you had to call. But the agent would not be incorrect to request the $2000 fare difference, and the best you could do would be HUCA. In other words, I don't think it would be a waste of time, but I do think there's a non-zero chance that you get stuck into flying an itinerary that's not the one you wanted. Given the way that the app has been behaving recently -- I was offered IAH-SFO-AUS recently on a no-IRROPS day -- I'd say your chances are pretty good; I just wanted to be sure to point out that there are no guarantees.
Old Feb 25, 2018, 6:32 pm

Programs: A3 *G
Flying LAX-ORD-DTW next week. LAX-ORD is overnight. Is it possible to SDC to move the LAX-ORD flight 22 hours earlier, but keep ORD-DTW as it is? I want to spend one day in Chicago.

I am A3*G.
Old Feb 25, 2018, 6:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kendall.jozyah
Flying LAX-ORD-DTW next week. LAX-ORD is overnight. Is it possible to SDC to move the LAX-ORD flight 22 hours earlier, but keep ORD-DTW as it is? I want to spend one day in Chicago.

I am A3*G.
Welcome to FlyerTalk!

That probably can't be done in a single change. However, you might be able to do it with two changes -- first change to LAX-ORD-DTW, with a normal connection, and then, 24 hours before departure of the flight you actually want (and after having departed LAX, but before the scheduled departure of your new ORD-DTW flight), change again. You may be charged twice for this (free SDC is not a defined benefit for *G, although there are some reports that you might get it anyway).
Old Feb 25, 2018, 7:14 pm
Suspended

Happy to help It's not that it's an impermissible transfer point -- you're welcome to fly FLL-IAD-CKB-ORD-CAK-EWR-PTY if you want. It's just that it creates a fare break -- your existing FLL-PTY fare won't cover that routing, so it has to compute two combinable fares to get you there -- one to EWR and then one to PTY. ...
Very helpful. Thanks again for your time.
Old Feb 25, 2018, 10:41 pm

I know, per reports here, that the app won’t allow SDC after checking a bag. Does this also include international flights such as AAA-BBB-CCC, where one’s bag will be claimed in BBB before clearing Customs? Thanks.
Yes.
Along those lines...

Upcoming flight... MUC to ORD (LH First), ORD to FLL (UA First)
FF ticket using LH miles.
No status with LH.
I am UA Gold.
I had them put my UA number on the reservation as a 'secondary' program, but the primary is the LH #.
I will be checking a bag.

1. If we get in early, can I do SDC without paying a fee even though the ticket was purchased using LH miles? (I can see my reservation at UA.)
2. Understood the app won't let me do SDC. Can the agent do it when I recheck my bag?
3. Pretty sure the answer is no, but can I change FLL to MIA with SDC?
Old Feb 25, 2018, 10:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
You can't SDC unless the ticket is on 016 stock.
Old Feb 25, 2018, 10:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Global321
1. If we get in early, can I do SDC without paying a fee even though the ticket was purchased using LH miles? (I can see my reservation at UA.)
2. Understood the app won't let me do SDC. Can the agent do it when I recheck my bag?
3. Pretty sure the answer is no, but can I change FLL to MIA with SDC?
1&2 - SDC requires UA-issued tickets. If you have further LH flights on the ticket, you shouldn't even try it as it may mess those up. If you don't, you might try it but should expect that it won't work. UA can't reissue or revalidate a ticket that they didn't issue, so an SDC will likely leave your record out of sync with no way to fix it.

I'd suggest standby, but that probably won't work with checked luggage.

If you do manage to get either of these to work, I imagine that you could get the fee waived, because my understanding is that a CO-era policy waives the SDC fee when you're doing it at a connection point anyway, and even if that doesn't work, I'd hope that having the UA number on your reservation (and your UA card on the app, to present if necessary) should probably do the trick. But I'd expect to spend the entire layover in ORD.

3 - No.
Old Feb 26, 2018, 1:28 am

1&2 - SDC requires UA-issued tickets. If you have further LH flights on the ticket, you shouldn't even try it as it may mess those up. If you don't, you might try it but should expect that it won't work. UA can't reissue or revalidate a ticket that they didn't issue, so an SDC will likely leave your record out of sync with no way to fix it.

I'd suggest standby, but that probably won't work with checked luggage.

If you do manage to get either of these to work, I imagine that you could get the fee waived, because my understanding is that a CO-era policy waives the SDC fee when you're doing it at a connection point anyway, and even if that doesn't work, I'd hope that having the UA number on your reservation (and your UA card on the app, to present if necessary) should probably do the trick. But I'd expect to spend the entire layover in ORD.

3 - No.
Appreciate the knowledge and the advice. ORD-FLL is the final leg, so nothing to mess up after.

And yes, great if it works, but I have zero expectations for success. I will report back if I am successful.
Old Feb 26, 2018, 9:39 am

Programs: UA 1K
Booked on a multi city ticket for today flying SIN-NRT then HND-SFO-YYC

tried to make a SDC to change the HND to a NRTflight instead but was denied on the basis that the origin airport can’t be changed. They were happy to make the change for a fee of $300, but not as a free SDC, and they wouldn’t waive the change fee, even for a 1k. Just thought I’d report this experience for the wiki
Old Feb 26, 2018, 11:46 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum Elite, National Executive, United Gold
I think this is a YMMV situation. I've frequently changed flights from LGA to EWR and vice versa - I think this is probably not allowed but I've never had to HUCA. It's too bad you would not be able to access the NRT UC when you land to see if they would be more accomodating. Maybe try the check-in staff at NRT as a last stitch effort before the landside transfer to HND.

Originally Posted by david_oz
Booked on a multi city ticket for today flying SIN-NRT then HND-SFO-YYC

tried to make a SDC to change the HND to a NRTflight instead but was denied on the basis that the origin airport can’t be changed. They were happy to make the change for a fee of $300, but not as a free SDC, and they wouldn’t waive the change fee, even for a 1k. Just thought I’d report this experience for the wiki
Old Feb 26, 2018, 12:12 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Originally Posted by 764toHI
I think this is a YMMV situation. I've frequently changed flights from LGA to EWR and vice versa - I think this is probably not allowed but I've never had to HUCA. It's too bad you would not be able to access the NRT UC when you land to see if they would be more accomodating. Maybe try the check-in staff at NRT as a last stitch effort before the landside transfer to HND.
I find the UA staff at NRT to be most accommodating, and some of the sincerest nicest people you run across in the system. They have always helped and they have a late afternoon nonstop to San Francisco which would work rather than taking the bus (Or other transportation mode) to Haneda
Old Feb 26, 2018, 7:19 pm
Suspended

Just wanted to say thanks again to jsloan for all of the help here.

Quick question for everyone else: UA only flies to PTY from EWR and IAH. Has anyone flying to PTY via IAH and originating in FLL (or anywhere in Florida) ever been given an SDC option via EWR? It’s obviously out of the way, but there have been some crazy SDC reports lately. Thanks.
Old Feb 26, 2018, 8:46 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Just wanted to say thanks again to jsloan for all of the help here.

Quick question for everyone else: UA only flies to PTY from EWR and IAH. Has anyone flying to PTY via IAH and originating in FLL (or anywhere in Florida) ever been given an SDC option via EWR? It’s obviously out of the way, but there have been some crazy SDC reports lately. Thanks.
Why the urgency to go via EWR ( are you trying to create a stop over) or is it'miles or something else??

I just read through the thread and I see that you want to change to the following day too A flight that only operates on Fridays from EWR. I'm real curious to see how this one's going to play out. You're asking lots of questions but I'm not quite understanding why perhaps you can give us a little bit more color. Safe travels

Last edited by Flying Machine; Feb 26, 2018 at 8:53 pm
Old Feb 26, 2018, 8:51 pm
Suspended

No urgency at all, but it would get me an extra full day in FLL, an extra ~1,000 PQM, and, most importantly, I’d get to try out this flight before deciding on future bookings. (I’ll have at least two and maybe three trips to PTY this summer originating from the New York area.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.