Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Same-Day Travel Change (SDC) Fees/Questions (with Wiki) {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 4, 2015, 2:01 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This wiki was created to distill SDC (and related standby) down to a set of rules in the hopes of benefiting others.

The official "rules" can be found here. In practice, some of the rules almost always apply, and some are more flexible.

Note there have been reports of SDC to one segment removing confirmed CPU upgrades on downline segments. If maintaining the confirmed upgrade is important then these changes should be handled with care.

Most Frequently Asked Question: When do I call/go online to make the change?
Follow this flowchart:
Question 1: Are you within 24 hours of your currently scheduled UA(*) operated flight that you're trying to change off of? If yes, continue to Question 2. If no, continue to answer 1.
Question 2: Are you within 24 hours of the first UA operated flight you're trying to change on to? If yes, continue to to Answer 2. If no, continue to Answer 1.
Answer 1: No, you cannot call/go online yet to make an SDC.
Answer 2: Yes, then you can call/go online to make an SDC.

General Baseline Rules

These are the general rules that usually apply to SDC's; falling outside these rules usually requires payment of a full change fee and the fare difference:
  • The departure time of the first segment of the old itinerary and the departure time of the first segment of the new itinerary must both be within 24 hours of the moment that the change is made.
  • Only applies to UA/UX operated flights, domestic or international. Changing from a non-UA operated to UA operated may be possible.
  • The ultimate origin and destination airports must remain the same.
  • Routing can be changed (addition, deletion, or change of connection points) but the routing rules of the original fare usually apply.
  • All remaining unflown segments in single fared itinerary are considered together (i.e., if you're flying WWW-XXX-YYY-ZZZ, you can go to a kiosk at XXX and potentially fly XXX-AAA-ZZZ or XXX-ZZZ direct).
  • SDC can be done an unlimited number of times, and can therefore be used to extend a trip indefinitely (pending availability).
  • SDC costs $75 for Members and Silvers - the fee is waived for Golds and up (plus any applicable fare difference, see below). *G's may also get free SDC, although there is no mention of this in the official rules. Once in-route, fees for an earlier connecting flight may be waived per GG SDC Line 118.
  • Non-elites on the same PNR benefit from any waived fees for SDC.
  • No fare difference is charged so long as there is availability on all of the new segments in the originally ticketed fare class. Fare class availability in all classes often opens up after T-24 and almost always opens up at T-3 unless the plane is very full.
  • SDC on bulk tickets, including United Specials, is not permitted.
  • SDC is permitted on both domestic and international itineraries.

How to SDC

SDC can be accomplished in a few different places (in rough order of likelihood of being able to get the rules bent):
  • United mobile app
  • Kiosk
  • Phone
  • On united.com, right now only the "Search Other Flight Options" button during On-Line Check-In (OLCI) works. This has spotty availability, particularly if the change would involve paying an additional fare due to fare bucket non-availability.
  • Counter/Gate (although reports are that most airport agents are not familiar with the SDC policy and may not allow you to SDC to a valid itinerary--you can try to direct them to look up GG SDC, but they often won't understand that what you're trying to do is permitted by those rules)
Please note that the United.com “change flight” link before checking in within T-24, is broken. The website may not show all available options and will often attempt to collect the change fee rather than the SDC fee (if any).

NB: An SDC where the original itinerary (in one direction) has three or more segments cannot be done online.

Nuances and Loose Rules

Now for the hard part: figuring out where the flexibility is in the rules. This list is compiled from the responses to people saying "Can I do X?" where X is something that is not clearly permitted by the rules. One's likelihood of success here depends a bit on the method used for the SDC.

For each item, the following codes apply:
Y = officially permitted and possible using any method
A = not permitted but perhaps possible using an agent (phone/counter), perhaps having to HUACA
A* = mixed reports of success with an agent (phone/counter),
N* = possible only if you find a very accommodating agent
N = little or no reported success.
  • Violating various non-routing fare rules (day/time, minimum stay, etc.): Y
  • Change destination to ultra-close airport (see the old S*FAR/STANDBY): A
  • Change destination to a co-terminal: N*
  • Change destination to an entirely different place: N
  • Change itinerary at the beginning to include illegal layovers (> 4 hours): N*
  • Change itinerary at the layover point (using kiosk, app, or agent) to create an otherwise illegal layover: Y
  • Change itinerary at the beginning to add a layover point not permitted by the routing rules: N*
  • Change itinerary at a layover point to add another layover not permitted (either in terms of number of segments or routing rules) by the routing rules: Y
  • Change to a flight exactly 24 hours before or after the original flight: N*
  • Change to a flight exactly 24 hours before the original flight, if the previous day's flight has been delayed: Y (based on one report)
  • Combining separately-fared segments to do SDC (e.g. XXX-YYY+YYY-ZZZ -> XXX-ZZZ): A
  • Change UA-codeshare, non-UA-metal segment to UA metal: A
  • Change from UA metal to UA-codeshare, non-UA-metal segment: N (see post 1813 for one exception)
  • Change from UA-codeshare, non-UA-metal segment to a different UA-codeshare, non-UA-metal segment: ??
  • Change on a non-UA ticketed segment: N* (with potential dire consequences)
  • Change from an upgraded flight into Y on the new flight: Y
  • Change from a GPU-upgraded flight into J/F on the new flight: A
  • Change from a CPU-upgraded flight and get confirmed into available R space on the new flight: N*
  • Change from an instrument-upgraded flight and get confirmed into available R space on the new flight: A*
  • Non-elite on different PNR benefiting from Elite's waived-fee SDC: A
  • Change at origin airport after tendering a checked bag: N
  • Change at layover airport when a bag has been checked: N

If you encounter issues with an agent (phone or counter/gate), you can ask the agent to reference GG SDC. Additionally, GG SDC line 61 specifically references that fare classes are supposed to level out 3.5 hours before departure, so you might be able to use that to your advantage if fare classes have not leveled out and you're trying to ask an agent to open up the correct inventory or force you onto the flight.

Note -- as of 11/27/2017: A datapoint indicates that UA may have updated its GG rule regarding leveling out to state the following:

Code:
EVERYDAY AWARD AND REVENUE BUCKETS ARE TO LEVEL OUT WITHIN 2H OF DEPARTURE
Standby
You may stand by if seats are not available in the purchased fare class. In these cases, the same-day change fee will apply, but will not be charged unless you are assigned a seat on your alternate flight. Changes in routing are not allowed when standing by. Standby may be requested on the day of departure at an airport kiosk or with a United representative at the airport. Once you are added to the flight standby list, you can check your real-time standby status at united.com/flightstatus or on your mobile device at mobile.united.com/info.

Instead of paying a same-day change discounted fee, can I stand by for my desired flight for free?
No. The only time you may standby for free is when the fare does not have any penalties for making changes, or when standing by involuntarily due to a flight irregularity.

Can I pay the same-day change discount fee with cash?
Cash will only be accepted by a United airport representative when the change is available to be confirmed, not for standby travel.

original posting by mgcsinc, initiated by jackal

Previous threads:
UA Same-Day Travel Change (SDC) Fees/Questions *now with WikiPost* {pre-2015 Archive}
Print Wikipost

UA Same-Day Travel Change (SDC) Fees/Questions (with Wiki) {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2018, 7:42 pm

Programs: UA 1K 0.7MM (trying to get to 1MM!)
Originally Posted by StuckinITH
Would that work if you are trying to do the standby for a flight at 6:00 PM in the evening when you were supposed to fly at 6:00 AM in the morning and then connect to an international flight?

Here's what happened. My wife and I were due to fly at 6:00 AM from Small City to ORD then connect to flight ORD-PVG at 9:45 AM. At 3:00 PM the day before, the weatherman announced a winter storm warning with 6 to 8 inches of snow finishing at 7:00 AM the next morning. We live in an area where the chance that the roads would be cleaned during the night is nil. We decided to go to the airport to try to catch the 6:00 PM flight to ORD. We get there and ask for a SDC (we did not know if our fare was available for that) or to go on stand-by to ORD (we knew that flight was half empty). Answer from agent: "I have worked here 18 years and you cannot do standbys on the previous evening. It has to be on the same day". Then typing, typing, typing on his computer, asking for help from colleagues who did not know the system, more typing, typing, typing and finally he produces our boarding passes. So, it seems that we managed to SDC without having to pay a fare difference. But I still would want to know if what we wanted to do was totally illegal. Would a standby be allowed in this case?
I think the confusion is coming from the use of the word "standby"...the gate agent was correct, from what I understand, you can only "standby" for a flight on the same day, but SDC (Same Day Change) allows for changing to flights within 24 hours of your booked flight.
Old Jan 24, 2018, 7:58 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold

But I still would want to know if what we wanted to do was totally illegal. Would a standby be allowed in this case?
If Silver as your profile says, methinks you should have been charged SDC fee of $50. There is that whole seats available / not available and standby to see if they open up, but it's been so long since I've dealt with that ......

Originally Posted by mpiotrow

I think the confusion is coming from the use of the word "standby"...the gate agent was correct, from what I understand, you can only "standby" for a flight on the same day, but SDC (Same Day Change) allows for changing to flights within 24 hours of your booked flight.
Ya, standby rules are different, though I don't recall if you can standby on previous day even if within 24 hours.

At any rate, glad it worked out.
Old Jan 24, 2018, 8:12 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by EmailKid
If Silver as your profile says, methinks you should have been charged SDC fee of $50. There is that whole seats available / not available and standby to see if they open up, but it's been so long since I've dealt with that ......

Ya, standby rules are different, though I don't recall if you can standby on previous day even if within 24 hours.

At any rate, glad it worked out.
I'm UA 1K.

I think we panicked a little because we could not do the check-in 24 hours prior to our flight due to the fact that UA needed to see our visas for China. So, we really needed to be at the airport at 5:00 AM. To do that we needed to take a Uber at 4:20 AM. With the snow storm we were not confident we would get a Uber. This is our first real winter in this place so we are still learning how things function. We were worried that we would be no shows for our first flight and the $5600 we spent would be gone.

Last edited by StuckinITH; Jan 25, 2018 at 5:11 am
Old Jan 24, 2018, 8:35 pm

Programs: UA 1K, CO Plat, NW Plat, Marriott Premiere Plat, SPG Plat, Priority Gold, Hilton Gold
The actual rule is 24 hours for both. If you get an agent that says otherwise, get a different agent - some agents are thoroughly convinced it's literal same calendar day and they are incorrect. I've same-day-standby'd to flights the next calendar day myself on more than one occasion. Sometimes it takes some talking-to with the agents; I know I had to put in quite a bit of effort with an ORD lounge dragon recently to do it - she insisted I couldn't but when she called the help desk they did it no problem.

Of course, you still have to be at the airport to do it.
Old Jan 24, 2018, 8:36 pm

Programs: UA 1K, CO Plat, NW Plat, Marriott Premiere Plat, SPG Plat, Priority Gold, Hilton Gold
But what I still want to know is, can I same-day-standby from ANY airport, or does it have to be THE airport I'm departing from?
Old Jan 24, 2018, 9:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by raehl311
But what I still want to know is, can I same-day-standby from ANY airport, or does it have to be THE airport I'm departing from?
If you're asking, if you have a ticket from BOS to IAH, can you standby for a flight from EWR to IAH instead, the answer is no. If you are asking, if you have a ticket from BOS to IAH to LAX, can you standby for an earlier IAH to LAX flight while you're at BOS, the answer is yes -- if the agent is willing to do it for you. Not all will be.
Old Jan 24, 2018, 9:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Would that work if you are trying to do the standby for a flight at 6:00 PM in the evening when you were supposed to fly at 6:00 AM in the morning and then connect to an international flight?
Once you miss the 6 am flight, your itinerary gets cancelled. That's what would happen if you no-showed. Now there is the flat tire rule, and agents can certainly re-instate and rebook (assuming space is still available), but not something that I would ever try. The thing I don't understand about trying to standby for a later flight is what happens if you don't make it. If you standby earlier and miss, you still have your original flights you can travel on. But if its later, and you don't have the original confirmed seats available since your flight already left, what happens if you don't clear?

Originally Posted by aacharya
Your companion keeps your status in terms of the PNR if this is the outbound automatically - can even be done on the app.
If this is the return, you'll have to call in to waive the fee.
I actually just looked at my companion's app, and it's showing "Confirmed Seat $0" in the change flight section for the available flights to SDC to...
Originally Posted by fumje
FWIW I had a couple experiences flying with a Silver status companion late last year, and it appeared that the app afforded my companion free SDC even on the return of a split reservation. Did not attempt to execute, but if the app offers it I've never had trouble confirming.
IME, this changed a while ago, for the better, maybe about 2 years ago. There are other reports in one of the CPU threads, I think. My experience used to be like aacharya mentioned. But its definitely been a long time, and I believe it's been the way the last couple of posters are reporting for around a year or two. Given I've had agents pull up records of a companion that was split off previously without me giving them any info. that they would be able to find it from not too long after the merger, I think the split reservation has always notated the original PNR and has had the ability to tag the status, but for some reason, there was either a bug where the automated systems weren't seeing it, or it was improved to be able to see that automatically where it hadn't before.

The actual rule is 24 hours for both. If you get an agent that says otherwise, get a different agent - some agents are thoroughly convinced it's literal same calendar day and they are incorrect. I've same-day-standby'd to flights the next calendar day myself on more than one occasion. Sometimes it takes some talking-to with the agents; I know I had to put in quite a bit of effort with an ORD lounge dragon recently to do it - she insisted I couldn't but when she called the help desk they did it no problem.

Of course, you still have to be at the airport to do it.
I believe standby is actually supposed to be same day only. Some agents may be flexible and use the same as SDC rules (within 24 hours). Here is what United's same day changes page says about standby (bolding mine):

You may stand by if seats are not available in the purchased fare class. In these cases, the same-day change fee will apply, but will not be charged unless you are assigned a seat on your alternate flight. Changes in routing are not allowed when standing by. Standby may be requested on the day of departure at an airport kiosk or with a United representative at the airport. Once you are added to the flight standby list, you can check your real-time standby status at united.com/flightstatus or on your mobile device at mobile.united.com/info.
IMO, it's not 100% clear, but does imply standby is same actual day, not within 24 hours. Now I'm not suggesting agents haven't done it...I'm sure plenty have. But that doesn't mean its really in line with policy - I've seen agents break rules many, many times.

You can only do standby (or SDC) from the airport you are departing from. Co-terminals don't apply to standby or SDC, at least per the rules. You may get an agent who will do it, but technically, it requires a change fee and fare difference for the new routing. Standby doesn't even allow different routing, so its definitely not allowed, anyway.

Originally Posted by jsloan
If you're asking, if you have a ticket from BOS to IAH, can you standby for a flight from EWR to IAH instead, the answer is no. If you are asking, if you have a ticket from BOS to IAH to LAX, can you standby for an earlier IAH to LAX flight while you're at BOS, the answer is yes -- if the agent is willing to do it for you. Not all will be.
Note the latter situation is clearly out of policy for standby - routing changes are not allowed (see the text I quoted above...sentence before the bolded one). Certainly there are agents who might be willing to do it, but I'd not expect it.
Old Jan 24, 2018, 9:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
The actual rule is 24 hours for both.
Standby is same day only.
Old Jan 24, 2018, 11:04 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Unfortunately, given that half of what you said there is incorrect, I'm not sure I trust any of it...

- Any ticket agent can do a Same Day Standby, you don't need to go through security to get to a gate agent to do it.
- You can definitely same-day standby on the same 24 hour window as SDC.
Some problems with the above
-- Standby can only be done day of travel, not the full 24-hour windows of SDC
Standby may be requested on the day of departure at an airport kiosk or with a United representative at the airport.
-- While Standby can be done by a counter agent, it will not get you airside without a gate or DM pass -- and you will have to be at the gate to clear standby (done less than 30 minutes to departure - generally closer to 20 minutes).
Old Jan 24, 2018, 11:04 pm

Programs: UA Gold, SPG Gold
I've requested a standby 24hr before the flight on a prior day at a kiosk.
Old Jan 24, 2018, 11:13 pm

Programs: UA Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Standby may be requested on the day of departure at an airport kiosk or with a United representative at the airport.
-- While Standby can be done by a counter agent, it will not get you airside without a gate or DM pass -- and you will have to be at the gate to clear standby (done less than 30 minutes to departure - generally closer to 20 minutes).
The kiosk will print a standby boarding pass which you can use to get through security. Non Revenue Standby (employee travel) get the same boarding pass.
Old Jan 25, 2018, 12:28 am

I really don't think this is true in practice. I have definitely done standby from the last flight of the day to a flight the next day, and I have done standby on a flight the night before for a flight booked the following morning. The only times I've had issues is agents who want to enforce the 4-hour connection rule when I'm at a connection.

This is not true. If you are on standby for a flight, you can ABSOLUTELY get a boarding pass for that flight. (Although if we were to believe standby is day of departure only, you wouldn't need one since you could just use the pass from whatever your original flight was.)

As for my question, it seems I should have been more specific...

I originally had nested tickets booked AAA-BBB-AAA and then BBB-CCC-BBB, with AAA-BBB Wednesday and BBB-CCC Thursday. Plans changed so I SDC'd my AAA-BBB flight to Thursday morning. I would like to change my BBB-CCC to Friday, but don't have conformable inventory. If I CAN move BBB-CCC, I would push AAA-BBB back as well, but I would have to make that decision at AAA as I'd be trying to stay at AAA longer. (Basically I no longer have to be at CCC as early as I thought when I bought the ticket, so if I can stay at AAA longer, better.)

So the question is can I initiate a standby of BBB-CCC at AAA. (No changes of origin and destination).

Last edited by raehl311; Jan 25, 2018 at 12:44 am
Old Jan 25, 2018, 1:46 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
... If you are on standby for a flight, you can ABSOLUTELY get a boarding pass for that flight. (Although if we were to believe standby is day of departure only, you wouldn't need one since you could just use the pass from whatever your original flight was.) ...
we may be quibbling on words, you don't have a BP as you are not confirmed -- but rather probably have a Departure Management pass (DM). However, if you do have a later BP than that will work.

... So the question is can I initiate a standby of BBB-CCC at AAA. (No changes of origin and destination).
Why does this matter? Standby's don't clear until just prior to departure (after upgrades) and your priority position is based on your status, so unless there are irrops, you will be at the top of the Standby list as soon as your request at the departure airport.

I do believe that there was a report a few years ago about someone who did get on the waitlist at a different airport but the policy was only departure airport. UA prefers for you to actually be at the airport and available for the flight..
Old Jan 25, 2018, 2:14 am

we may be quibbling on words, you don't have a BP as you are not confirmed -- but rather probably have a Departure Management pass (DM). However, if you do have a later BP than that will work.
Probably... you can definitely get something that will get you past security. And the agent will give it to you as a matter of course when adding you to the standby list. It looks like a boarding pass, just doesn't have a seat assignment and is marked STBY, so I've always called it a boarding pass. I suppose that's not exactly accurate since they won't let you actually board with it.

Why does this matter? Standby's don't clear until just prior to departure (after upgrades) and your priority position is based on your status, so unless there are irrops, you will be at the top of the Standby list as soon as your request at the departure airport.

I do believe that there was a report a few years ago about someone who did get on the waitlist at a different airport but the policy was only departure airport. UA prefers for you to actually be at the airport and available for the flight..
I think you're assuming I'm trying to standby for an EARLIER flight - I'm trying to standby for a LATER flight. I don't think anybody cares if I'm ready and at the airport for a flight that leaves in 16 hours...

I.e., I'm confirmed on a flight departing in an hour. I want to fly on a later flight in 12 hours. There is no availability for my fare class on the flight I want, so I want to do a same day standby instead. The question is, do I have to request the standby at the airport those flights depart from, or can I do it from any airport?

Last edited by raehl311; Jan 25, 2018 at 3:25 am
Old Jan 25, 2018, 7:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think you're assuming I'm trying to standby for an EARLIER flight - I'm trying to standby for a LATER flight. I don't think anybody cares if I'm ready and at the airport for a flight that leaves in 16 hours...

I.e., I'm confirmed on a flight departing in an hour. I want to fly on a later flight in 12 hours. There is no availability for my fare class on the flight I want, so I want to do a same day standby instead. The question is, do I have to request the standby at the airport those flights depart from, or can I do it from any airport?
I would be shocked if you found a UA agent willing to allow you to standby for a later flight from a remote station. Once the departure time passes for your original flight, your downline segments -- including the standby segment -- would be cancelled and need to be reconstituted anyway. I doubt an agent is going to want to help you get stuck at BBB. Since there is no rule that specifically authorizes it, and, as WineCountryUA points out, the rule that does exist seems to forbid it, I'd expect UA agents simply to tell you that you "can't do that," especially when they realize that you're trying to standby for a later flight than you're currently ticketed on.

Note that SDC itself does not require inventory in your fare class, but a fare difference will be charged if applicable. If it's worth it to extend your stay in AAA, and if the flight inventory isn't actually zeroed out, you might look into the fare difference for the lowest available fare on your preferred BBB-CCC flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.