Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

North TATL 757 fuel stops / diversion delays [2015]

Old Jan 4, 2015, 12:30 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Due to winter (most common Dec/Jan) weather/jetstream conditions for northern TATL flights, the 757-200's UA uses for the thin european routes need to make fuel stop / diversions. Typically at Bangor (BGR) / Goose Bay(YYR) / Gander (YQX) /St. John's (YYT), ....
The most commonly affected European routes are Barcelona (BCN), Berlin (TXL), Hamburg (HAM), Madrid (MAD), Oslo (OSL), Stockholm (ARN)

Interesting maps
Weather Model - North Atlantic Jet Stream Wind
North Atlantic Jet Stream Forecasts

Related / previous threads
Why does United put 757s on certain flights from EWR to europe

[757-200 diversions] CO starting hubs at Gander, Goose Bay, etc. [threads merged] pmCO

UA69 (ARN-EWR): Wrong plane, wrong fuel calculations, or bad weather?

2013 Westbound TATL 757 "Short Stops"

Consolidated "United 757 TATL Fuel Stop" Thread [Merged] 2012
Print Wikipost

Old Feb 23, 2015, 1:22 pm

Programs: UA 2P. Former DL FO in the Golden Age of Mileage Runs
39 on Feb 16

We were almost diverted OSL-EWR. GA made announcement in the lounge at OSL that we were going to be making a stop in BGR, much to the dismay of many of the pax (especially those who lived in Maine and would have been happy to get off the plane there, if it were allowed). We got on and the pilot talked us through the issues (headwinds) and said that he was negotiating a new flight plan with the company to avoid the stop, explaining that the 20 minutes it would delay the flight would allow us to fly direct. Which actually was the case; we got cleared for a route way up over Greenland and made it in to EWR without issue (as far as I can tell, no Channel 9 on those COdbaUA 757s).
Old Mar 28, 2015, 7:39 pm

Programs: UA Gold-MM, AA Gold-MM, F9-Silver, Hyatt Something, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Seems like CDG-EWR should be added to the list. Looks like maybe 5 diversions in the last month or so.
Old Mar 28, 2015, 9:24 pm

Originally Posted by hobo13
Seems like CDG-EWR should be added to the list. Looks like maybe 5 diversions in the last month or so.
Well to be fair the 757 CDG - EWR that diverted the other day diverted because of MX issues not because of running out of gas. It also diverted to LHR and is finally back in EWR after about 2 days of trying to get it fixed.
Old Mar 29, 2015, 12:16 am

Programs: UA 1k
Originally Posted by SunLover
Don't give Jeff any ideas; or pretty soon we will see the introduction of TATL RJ's...

SunLover
I think Jeff will next move to the Brazzy EMB-120 TATL! United's new mantra (inherited from CO days) "As small as possible"
Old Mar 29, 2015, 6:02 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

UA 123 LHR-IAD diverted to BGR Friday, yesterday and today. Main reason I chose UA919 for my upcoming flight when I could have confirmed upgrades on UA 123 on the same date.
Old Mar 29, 2015, 6:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
UA123 is having some visitors in Bangor today:

UA 75 HAM-BGR-EWR

UA 125 TXL-BGR-EWR

UA 55 CDG-BGR-EWR
Old Mar 29, 2015, 7:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by 3Cforme

UA 75 HAM-BGR-EWR

UA 125 TXL-BGR-EWR

UA 55 CDG-BGR-EWR
How can this be efficient for UA? For 3-4 months per year they have a ton of diversions (costly), misconnecting pax and claims for compensation/hotels etc. which of course they are liable for.
Delta can fly their 752s just fine; UA can't. They either fix this problem or they stop flying 752s to Europe ... it's that simple. I avoid them whenever I can, MX and diversions make for an unpleasant combo.
Old Mar 29, 2015, 7:34 am

Originally Posted by 3Cforme

UA 75 HAM-BGR-EWR

UA 125 TXL-BGR-EWR

UA 55 CDG-BGR-EWR
Add 71 AMS - EWR to that list.
Old Mar 29, 2015, 7:44 am

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
Originally Posted by JOSECONLSCREW28
Add 71 AMS - EWR to that list.
The jet stream is ferocious this week. The other day I was on UA924 IAD-LHR with a flight time of 5:55. Our ground speed was approaching 800mph.

I'm happy I chose UA919 for my return tomorrow -- it's a 777-200ER and hopefully will make it without visiting BGR

Last edited by wxguy; Mar 29, 2015 at 1:42 pm
Old Mar 29, 2015, 10:47 am

Programs: Million Miler, 1K - Basically spend a lot of time on planes
Originally Posted by cfischer
How can this be efficient for UA? For 3-4 months per year they have a ton of diversions (costly), misconnecting pax and claims for compensation/hotels etc. which of course they are liable for.
Delta can fly their 752s just fine; UA can't. They either fix this problem or they stop flying 752s to Europe ... it's that simple. I avoid them whenever I can, MX and diversions make for an unpleasant combo.
It should also be mentioned at the booking process for any ticket that is booked Europe to USA on 752 during the winter months that there is a reasonable chance of diverting. They sell these flights on the basis that they are nonstop, people pay a premium based on them being sold as nonstop. People avoid other competing carriers because they are sold as nonstop.

It's not like its a surprise to UA each year, it's been like this every year for a long time. Either upgrade the aircraft for the winter months, or weight restrict them to the point where the nonstop can always make it. United will say it isn't profitable to weight restrict it, but it's not profitable for the passenger to get jerked around each time it happens. It's just another item on a LONG list where UA doesn't quite value the customer like the other carriers do.
Old Mar 29, 2015, 10:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by CO_Nonrev_elite
United will say it isn't profitable to weight restrict it, but it's not profitable for the passenger to get jerked around each time it happens.
ah, but at that point it's the passengers' problem and not UA's :-:

on that topic, when these diversions occur, are passengers typically compensated?

are hotels/meals provided for misconnecting pax?

i've never experienced a diversion because i've only ever flown TATL on a 752 once (and will never do it again if it can be reasonably avoided).
Old Mar 29, 2015, 12:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by PV_Premier
ah, but at that point it's the passengers' problem and not UA's :-:

on that topic, when these diversions occur, are passengers typically compensated?

are hotels/meals provided for misconnecting pax?

i've never experienced a diversion because i've only ever flown TATL on a 752 once (and will never do it again if it can be reasonably avoided).
EU Reg 261 applies ... and UA often manages to get them in late enough to qualify . Diversions have yielded compensation and accommodation in the rare cases that I have experienced them. Not sure how this turns out for most Y pax ...
Old Mar 29, 2015, 1:02 pm

Programs: Million Miler, 1K - Basically spend a lot of time on planes

No, United blames them on the weather (stronger winds than anticipated) even though they are like this every year
Old Mar 29, 2015, 1:04 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, DL Silver, UA Gold, *A Gold, OW Emerald
UA LHR to IAD

UA 123 LHR to IAD diverted to Bangor today. It is scheduled to arrive IAD about five hours late. The other two flights are B777's and are scheduled to be about forty minutes late.
Old Mar 29, 2015, 2:42 pm

Programs: UA MM 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium Elite
I'm sure UA has done the math, and they prefer to make the stop over weight restricting or having a bigger aircraft.

I avoid the 757 on TATL as I'm based in ORD and like connecting in Europe over a EWR stop. People do prefer the non stop from EWR, I wouldn't risk it though.

UA should really make a comment when booking, that due to winds, the flight may require a stop.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.