Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

North TATL 757 fuel stops / diversion delays [2015]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 4, 2015, 12:30 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Due to winter (most common Dec/Jan) weather/jetstream conditions for northern TATL flights, the 757-200's UA uses for the thin european routes need to make fuel stop / diversions. Typically at Bangor (BGR) / Goose Bay(YYR) / Gander (YQX) /St. John's (YYT), ....
The most commonly affected European routes are Barcelona (BCN), Berlin (TXL), Hamburg (HAM), Madrid (MAD), Oslo (OSL), Stockholm (ARN)

Interesting maps
Weather Model - North Atlantic Jet Stream Wind
North Atlantic Jet Stream Forecasts

Related / previous threads
Why does United put 757s on certain flights from EWR to europe

[757-200 diversions] CO starting hubs at Gander, Goose Bay, etc. [threads merged] pmCO

UA69 (ARN-EWR): Wrong plane, wrong fuel calculations, or bad weather?

2013 Westbound TATL 757 "Short Stops"

Consolidated "United 757 TATL Fuel Stop" Thread [Merged] 2012
Print Wikipost

North TATL 757 fuel stops / diversion delays [2015]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2015, 12:17 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, DL Plat
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
We just don't seem to hear that much about them on OALs (I'm an avid reader of the AA forum and there's really no equivalent to this thread).
Nor DL, which is where I lurk since I went dual-status last year. I've pretty much settled into a pattern of SkyTeam for Europe, *A for Asia, and whomever is cheapest for domestic...

Still high-status on two alliances, but I have to say that it's been awhile since I've had the privilege of enjoying the poutine at Gander's cafeteria after a diverted flight. I guess maybe I miss it a little.
Old Jan 5, 2015, 12:17 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
More broadly though, there seem to be at least 3-4 UA int'l cancellations daily now, touching on all aircrafts (47s/67s/77s/87s too). We just don't seem to hear that much about them on OALs (I'm an avid reader of the AA forum and there's really no equivalent to this thread). So I'm curious to see if the data backs that up.

Remember...the operations were supposed to be "fixed"...two years ago now.
For all

Reminder, this thread is for TATL / fuel stop related issues and let's not drift off into the greater operation issues in this thread -- there are multiple threads for that.

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator
Old Jan 5, 2015, 12:29 pm

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by TA
Wouldn't this just be a direct reflection of each airline's fleet composition? Basically indicates that if you fly 757-200s to Europe, you will experience winter diversions -- not much surprise about that, right?
Another comparison point is Icelandair, who fly nothing but 757's TATL, including KEF-SEA, KEF-PDX, KEF-MCO and KEF-DEN, flights that are north of 3100 miles on a circle map. Of course, it may also be run outside the jet stream that keeps the east coast TATL flights bogged down....
Old Jan 5, 2015, 12:29 pm

Programs: AA/US PlatPro & 1.05MM, DL Plat (challenge), UA dirt
Originally Posted by Owenc
Isn't Lisbon within the range??
I wonder that if it was a planned fuel staff, the UA staff at LIS or reservation agents would proactively place passengers on the TP LIS-EWR flight as that does not seem to have the same issues (since it is an A332)?
Old Jan 5, 2015, 12:33 pm

Programs: UA MM 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium Elite
I'm guessing, UA has more 757's doing these flights than competitors, which is why more diversions??

UA should probably just eliminate some of these flights in January and get some bigger aircraft to do EWR-Star Hubs.

Also, I'm guessing flights like EWR-MCO are taking hits also, as those are usually 757's.
Old Jan 5, 2015, 12:37 pm

Originally Posted by LASUA1K
I'm guessing, UA has more 757's doing these flights than competitors, which is why more diversions??

UA should probably just eliminate some of these flights in January and get some bigger aircraft to do EWR-Star Hubs.

Also, I'm guessing flights like EWR-MCO are taking hits also, as those are usually 757's.
I supposed we should be thankful that UA is using 757s on TATLs since AS is proving that ANC-HNL works (at 2777 miles) with a 738, which is 600 or so miles short of LIS-EWR (at 3384 miles).
Old Jan 5, 2015, 12:40 pm

Originally Posted by fgirard
I supposed we should be thankful that UA is using 757s on TATLs since AS is proving that ANC-HNL works (at 2777 miles) with a 738, which is 600 or so miles short of LIS-EWR (at 3384 miles).
400 miles more to here. We have seen that a 737 could definitely work fully loaded in the summer but based on yesterdays performance i'm not sure a 737 would even make it to Halifax which 2500 miles away.
Old Jan 5, 2015, 12:43 pm

400 miles more to here.
I just looked up the distance of BFS-EWR and that is only at 3177, and with the new 739s, the range is much better than the 738s.
Old Jan 5, 2015, 12:43 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
I'm guessing, UA has more 757's doing these flights than competitors, which is why more diversions?? ...
and UA is service more of the second tier cities.

.... UA should probably just eliminate some of these flights in January and get some bigger aircraft to do EWR-Star Hubs. ...
That may do more damage to the long thin 2nd tier business that diversions issues for a month or so each year.

.... Also, I'm guessing flights like EWR-MCO are taking hits also, as those are usually 757's.
2-3 flights of th eaily 8+ are these same 752s -- but UA may be able to minimize the domino effect by some careful aircraft usage management.
Old Jan 5, 2015, 12:45 pm

I just looked up the distance of BFS-EWR and that is only at 3177, and with the new 739s, the range is much better than the 738s.
What do you mean what is the range of those? Its 3100 miles from my house so I just rounded it, 40 mile wouldn't make a difference.
Old Jan 5, 2015, 12:45 pm

400 miles more to here. We have seen that a 737 could definitely work fully loaded in the summer but based on yesterdays performance i'm not sure a 737 would even make it to Halifax which 2500 miles away.
I thoroughly enjoy the BA A318 JFK-LCY, LCY-SNN-JFK service, but it seems that today's SK951, SVG-IAH is not stopping for fuel.
Old Jan 5, 2015, 12:46 pm

You also need to look at the wind effect.

The BFS delay seem to be more than just a jetstream issue but a problem at EWR as it was arriving. Based on past history that was a anomaly and probably should not be of general concern.

The regular fuel stop issue for UA is the Northern European cities
Old Jan 5, 2015, 12:48 pm

I thoroughly enjoy the BA A318 JFK-LCY, LCY-SNN-JFK service, but it seems that today's SK951, SVG-IAH is not stopping for fuel.
Well that is a little different as the plane only has 30 or so people on board..
Old Jan 5, 2015, 12:48 pm

What do you mean what is the range of those? Its 3100 miles from my house so I just rounded it, 40 mile wouldn't make a difference.
the 737-900 has a range of 3200NM, which is equivalent to 3682mi.
Old Jan 5, 2015, 12:50 pm

But don't they have the er version? I don't doubt it could do it from here. I think it was explained before that it was pointless having a subfleet just for the British Isles and also the fact that the cargo would be reduced.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.