Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Disappointed with lack of pre-departure beverage (PDB) & other experiences

Disappointed with lack of pre-departure beverage (PDB) & other experiences

Old Apr 26, 2019, 10:03 pm

Programs: UA 1 MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by sanfran8080
Would u be motivated for a low paying job too?
I bet both UA and the FA union agree on what motivation a FA sleeping during takeoff needs.
Old Apr 27, 2019, 2:25 am

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Originally Posted by exerda
Several of my recent flights have been sans-PDB. I overheard FAs on one asking if they had time for PDBs (this was one of several where the flight was late because the prior flight hadn't left the gate by our scheduled boarding time), and the purser had said, "We'll play it by ear."

I get the desire for a quick board and turnaround... is it that hard to do PDBs, though?
Very impressed on Thursday. SAN-LAX: PDB proactively offered to everyone and the same during the flight (FC as coach got the water service). Same day return LAX-SAN: PDB and drink service. For such a short flight very impressive. They ran out of light beer (for the gentleman next to me) as apparently catering only puts two light beers on the flight - on a 6.45pm departure that seemed odd to me but the pax.next to me had a Stella instead.

Kudos to the FAs on both flights.
Old Apr 29, 2019, 5:55 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K 3MM (former 12 yr GS), Bonvoy Amb/LT Plat
Ua907 ord-fra 4/29

None offered in Polaris. Asked why not. “We didn’t have time”. BS. We were late departure but not by much. Plenty of time. Another lazy crew.
LordHamster likes this.

Last edited by tcdtcd; Apr 29, 2019 at 5:56 pm Reason: Routing in reverse
Old Apr 29, 2019, 7:10 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
Originally Posted by tcdtcd
None offered in Polaris. Asked why not. “We didn’t have time”. BS. We were late departure but not by much. Plenty of time. Another lazy crew.
(bolding mine)

Did the rest of the flight's service reflect that also?
Old Apr 30, 2019, 5:28 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond
UA 832 EWR - FLL April 30, boarded on time, pulled back on time at 10:30 AM, but still no PDB offered to anyone.
LordHamster likes this.
Old Apr 30, 2019, 9:07 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Million Miler, Marriott platinum, lifetime platinum
I can't remember the last flight I had with no PDB. I know it's happened, but it's been a while. Glad for that!
Old Apr 30, 2019, 10:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Just had a lack of PDB on a ORD-west coast flight. Plane was catered and ready to go but the FAs just sat at the front chatting away. Finally one asked the other, "Should we offer them a beverage? Do we have the time?" We had plenty of time. It was a 739 with 20 F seats. Finally an FA comes around and asks our drink order. Problem is only the folks in row 1 got their beverage. No clue why no one else got theirs.

Not the end of the world to me but the overall FA experience was pure laziness. They served the meal, offered a drink and we never saw them again until we hit bad turbulence over the Rockies and the pilot told them to be seated. After the turbulence ended they disappeared again. No beverage offerings.

-RM
Old May 1, 2019, 7:05 am

Programs: UA Million Miler, Lifetime United Club member
Originally Posted by tcdtcd
That's complete BS. Is anyone listening, UA? I honestly think that the vast majority of the problems with UA are due to lackadaisical crew members. No commitment to the company. No urgency to please the people who make their paychecks possible. Instead, a vastly entitled bunch that is always looking for a way to get out of doing their job to the fullest.

As compared to WN where "folks" (Joe Biden's favorite word) give a darn.
Old May 1, 2019, 1:04 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K 3MM (former 12 yr GS), Bonvoy Amb/LT Plat
Originally Posted by narvik
(bolding mine)

Did the rest of the flight's service reflect that also?
They were average at best throughout, but better than pre-departure.
narvik likes this.
Old May 1, 2019, 1:33 pm

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Originally Posted by elitefreak
That's complete BS. Is anyone listening, UA? I honestly think that the vast majority of the problems with UA are due to lackadaisical crew members. No commitment to the company. No urgency to please the people who make their paychecks possible. Instead, a vastly entitled bunch that is always looking for a way to get out of doing their job to the fullest.

As compared to WN where "folks" (Joe Biden's favorite word) give a darn.
The issue for UA is the inconsistency as there are wonderful crew members who go above and beyond and make it a wonderful experience, including PDBs in rushed circumstances. Then you get some who are obviously disillusioned with the company/jaded from too many difficult passengers/should find a new job that they would enjoy more. I am not sure how you fix it but as a passenger I always acknowledge and thank great service and at times the FAs seemed surprised which is disappointing as they must not get too much positive reinforcement and I have seen some real jerks (pax) and unfortunately sat next to some of them. I am not an apologist for UA and that everything is fantastic as that is not the case, but I do think most of us are just trying to get through the day the best way we can and sometimes our jobs can get overwhelming.

I must say the lack of PDB impacts me more on domestic flights with a tight connection or originating from the airport and have just come through security and the coffee/tomato juice/water is very welcomed, versus a Polaris flight where I have enjoyed the lounge and do not really need a PDB when I board - but do realize it is part of the advertised perks of flying Polaris, but I would rather get my slippers and PJs than a PDB.
Old May 1, 2019, 4:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If I'm not offered a PDB I'm more than willing to ask.

In my (admittedly limited) experience on UA, though, I've always been offered. So far, so good!
Old May 2, 2019, 10:49 pm

Shout-out to the crew of UA1444 IAH-DFW on May 2. This flight is so short that a lot of times the flight attendants don’t even get up to do an in-flight service and since we were over 2 hours delayed I was not expecting a PDB... but the flight attendants did a full PDB service.
onthesam and VegasGambler like this.
Old May 3, 2019, 12:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Menefreghismo
Shout-out to the crew of UA1444 IAH-DFW on May 2. This flight is so short that a lot of times the flight attendants don’t even get up to do an in-flight service and since we were over 2 hours delayed I was not expecting a PDB... but the flight attendants did a full PDB service.
Similar to my situation on HNL-SFO about a month ago. We were delayed an hour or so waiting for the crew to get in on a late flight for a red-eye. I was expecting a tired, frustrated crew who just wanted to go home. Instead, I was greeted with a smile, and offered a PDB with a refill. They quickly dealt with a bag that someone put in wheels-out on one of the middle overhead bins on the 772 (the bins are very shallow and will not close unless the bags are put in sideways). Despite all the bins looking full, they made room for the bag through some masterful Tetris and everything was fine. You never would have guessed that the crew was at the end of a long day at work -- they were friendly and professional.

Maybe I'm just extremely lucky but my recent UA flights have had some of the best FAs I've ever had on any airline, anywhere.
Old May 3, 2019, 1:17 am

Originally Posted by VegasGambler
Maybe I'm just extremely lucky but my recent UA flights have had some of the best FAs I've ever had on any airline, anywhere.
Hmm... Any airline, anywhere...United... Maybe you are lucky...or maybe that PDB and a refill is doing the trick?
Old May 3, 2019, 2:36 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, UA Gold
Had a flight EWR-IAD last week. We were "delayed" but thanks to flight time padding we weren't. No rush at boarding, but still no PDB. Also, no offer to hang my coat until I gestured, and it was hung at the back of the cabin instead of the closet (A320). It also wasn't given back to me so I had to swim upstream to get it on landing!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.