Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Disappointed with lack of pre-departure beverage (PDB) & other experiences

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Disappointed with lack of pre-departure beverage (PDB) & other experiences

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14, 2019, 11:52 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
No PDB in Polaris on EWR-TLV. There was a bottle of water at each seat, although it was in the seat-side cupboard which was closed so I suspect at least some people wouldn't have realized it was there...
Old Apr 14, 2019, 11:58 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
Originally Posted by docbert
There was a bottle of water at each seat, although it was in the seat-side cupboard which was closed so I suspect at least some people wouldn't have realized it was there...
(bolding mine)

Well that's just ridiculous. Don't think I've ever encountered that, on ANY airline.
What's the point to provide such secret hydration?

I wonder who thought that was a good idea?
Old Apr 14, 2019, 12:16 pm

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by narvik
(bolding mine)

Well that's just ridiculous. Don't think I've ever encountered that, on ANY airline.
What's the point to provide such secret hydration?

I wonder who thought that was a good idea?
LH 747 has the water bottle and amenity kit in a small enclosed compartment below the pocket with the aircraft safety card information.

I have seen more water bottles being given out after departure rather than sitting out in the open — I think bottles may disappear during boarding.
narvik likes this.
Old Apr 14, 2019, 12:21 pm

Originally Posted by arttravel
I have seen more water bottles being given out after departure rather than sitting out in the open — I think bottles may disappear during boarding.
So for fear of them being nicked, they hide them away?
How would this not apply to the other amenities, then? Water is more likely of being pinched?
Oh the world we live in....
arttravel likes this.
Old Apr 14, 2019, 1:31 pm

Programs: UA
How would this not apply to the other amenities, then? Water is more likely of being pinched?
On the LH 747 the amenity kit is hidden with the water.

On a practical level it makes sense, where else to put the water? On top of the pile of bedding or on the shared arm rest?

And as for things being pinched, I think of the lotions etc in the bathrooms which are practically bolted to the sink area .....

As to PDB, UA 1823 on Friday had great service with the PDB (ORD to LGA). My other two UA flights were international and had no problem with PDB or finding the water, but as I usually fly LH transatlantic I am used to looking for the water in a compartment.
Old Apr 14, 2019, 3:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by arttravel

LH 747 has the water bottle and amenity kit in a small enclosed compartment below the pocket with the aircraft safety card information.

Both the water bottles and amenities kits should be given out as customers are seated as part of the PDB order, at least in the second cabin as coach passengers are likely the culprits stealing the water and amenity kits, and possibly bedding items too.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 1:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

HNL-SFO reddish-eye (9pm scheduled departure) Crew was delayed an hour and a half. Still got a PDB, refilled with a double (both the refill and the double were proactively offered). These FAs are the best...
Old Apr 25, 2019, 12:53 pm

Programs: United GS; AA EXP; Marriott Ambassador
New low today.

On United Express now. Flight is on time. FA has been picking nose and then licking his fingers (!!!) for the past 15 minutes while playing with an iPad.

I’m glad he has no intention to offer PDB. I have no intention to get anything from him inflight either.

The other FA yawned while making safety announcement.
Old Apr 25, 2019, 12:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by bdw1120
New low today.

On United Express now. Flight is on time. FA has been picking nose and then licking his fingers (!!!) for the past 15 minutes while playing with an iPad.

I’m glad he has no intention to offer PDB. I have no intention to get anything from him inflight either.

Tasty!

David
Old Apr 25, 2019, 4:49 pm
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
I've had my business class comforter taken by a coach passenger during boarding, while I was sitting in the seat. The passenger saw the comforter in the baggage compartment, and just took it. I barked at her and said that it was mine, and she puts it back.
Old Apr 25, 2019, 7:22 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Several of my recent flights have been sans-PDB. I overheard FAs on one asking if they had time for PDBs (this was one of several where the flight was late because the prior flight hadn't left the gate by our scheduled boarding time), and the purser had said, "We'll play it by ear."

I get the desire for a quick board and turnaround... is it that hard to do PDBs, though?
Old Apr 25, 2019, 7:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by bdw1120
New low today.

Please do everyone a favor and report this behavior - that FA needs to be pulled. Who knows what they've been doing on flights with food service.
Old Apr 25, 2019, 8:31 pm

Programs: United GS; AA EXP; Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by bocastephen
Please do everyone a favor and report this behavior - that FA needs to be pulled. Who knows what they've been doing on flights with food service.
I will report. Worse things followed - he dozed off during take-off. I thought flight attendants were there for our safety??
Old Apr 26, 2019, 9:23 pm
Suspended

Would u be motivated for a low paying job too?
Old Apr 26, 2019, 10:00 pm

Originally Posted by sanfran8080
Would u be motivated for a low paying job too?
Paying double to this FA wouldn't stop the nose-picking & licking, nor keep him awake.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.