Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Disappointed with lack of pre-departure beverage (PDB) & other experiences

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Disappointed with lack of pre-departure beverage (PDB) & other experiences

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7, 2018, 5:15 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
My last two experiences:

HKG-ORD in December 2017: I asked the FA what was the sparkling wine they were serving for the PDB. Unprompted, he said that he's sorry but the champagne can only be opened in the air.

MUC-ORD in May 2018: the passenger across the aisle asked for a beer for the PDB. He was told he had to wait until the plane was in the air.

But, I will ask on my return from PVG.
Old Jul 31, 2018, 12:58 pm

Thumbs down Flight Attendant Service Orientation

Living in Houston, I fly United as often as possible--and usually in first. But, I can't figure out the timing of the service. Sometimes, service starts quickly, and sometimes not.

Last week, I flew from Dallas to Houston. We were offered a beverage before take off, and quickly after we hit the air.

This week, I flew from Houston to Atlanta. The weather was perfect, so that was not a factor. No pre-flight beverage. But, the flight was more than half way complete before the first class customers were even offered a drink. And coach took even longer.

Shortly after take off, the first class flight attendant went to the back of the plain. She didn't come back for more than a half hour. I assume the flight attendants were chatting, since there was no service going on anywhere on the plane.
LordHamster likes this.
Old Jul 31, 2018, 1:33 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
Originally Posted by southbeachbum
...I assume the flight attendants were chatting....
If they were really chatting, it is not out-of-line with UA's official policy on FA duties then (in order of importance):

1) Making loud noise in Galley & update all FA on latest gossip
2) Establish cabin temperature suitable for FA
3) FA comfort
4) Passenger safety
5) Passenger comfort
CMK10, joder, mikeyf and 1 others like this.
Old Jul 31, 2018, 1:47 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by StuckinITH
My last two experiences:

HKG-ORD in December 2017: I asked the FA what was the sparkling wine they were serving for the PDB. Unprompted, he said that he's sorry but the champagne can only be opened in the air.

MUC-ORD in May 2018: the passenger across the aisle asked for a beer for the PDB. He was told he had to wait until the plane was in the air.

But, I will ask on my return from PVG.
So, I did ask a FA during midflight when the FAs were in a less hectic stressed state than at boarding. The FA said that for example on a ORD-PVG flight they only have a small number of little bottles of alcohol until the plane is in the air. Returning on PVG-ORD, the container with all the alcohols can be opened as soon as the passengers start boarding the plane. It's totally opposite to what I heard for years so I'm as clueless as before. Anyways, I'm not going to test this on my next Polaris flight as I prefer not to mix drinks.
Old Jul 31, 2018, 1:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Overall, have found this to be getting worse of late for domestic UAX operations, even with no irrops.

Very spotty getting offered a beverage at all. In fact, even boarding early while waiting for ATC release, still no PBD offered.

One flight was told only non-alcoholic beverages available for PBD...
Old Sep 1, 2018, 5:14 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by goodeats21
Overall, have found this to be getting worse of late for domestic UAX operations, even with no irrops.

Very spotty getting offered a beverage at all. In fact, even boarding early while waiting for ATC release, still no PBD offered.

I agree! I flew SkyWest Airlines dba United Express five times in the last couple of weeks. No PDB for three of them. I had the same crew on the same aircraft on two of them. Nevertheless, I complained to Customer Care after the trips and got some ETCs for my feedbacks. I got PDB from mainline flights every time during the same period.
Happy travels.
Aussienarelle likes this.
Old Sep 1, 2018, 10:20 am

Programs: AA, UA, WN
Originally Posted by Kmxu
I agree! I flew SkyWest Airlines dba United Express five times in the last couple of weeks. No PDB for three of them.
On average for me UAX full pdb is around 30%. Each time I did proactively ask for an alcoholic beverage and was told "only water" or "up in the air". These are flights that depart early or ontime so my issue is that mesa or republic might be telling their FAs not to offer full pbd. I write in each time with no compensation asked for just to document this to UA. They won't know unless folks bring this to their attention.

Wonder if UAX has to pay for catering costs or is covered by UA? If the former then the cost cutting strategy could be done without UAs knowledge and then all UAX has to claim for each flight "there is no time" to escape their contract obligations.

This post ia not to disparage UAX FAs as once in the air IME 95% are top notch, so the preflight service doesn't match with the in air service...my conclusion is that they are being trained not to do full PDB.
Aussienarelle likes this.
Old Sep 1, 2018, 12:50 pm

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
I get very confused whether there is PDB service - sometimes it is provided and sometimes not.

Most of the time the flights are leaving before the scheduled time so it is not due to making the flight late. I usually just want some water (or coffee if it is an early morning flight).

Very inconsistent - such that I am not even certain if it is standard anymore.
Old Oct 8, 2018, 4:05 pm

Programs: UAL GS & Million Miler; Delta Lifetime Gold; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Platinum; Legion Etrangere
{H}ave other fliers noticed that the predeparture beverage is going the way of the dodo and the ivory-billed woodpecker?

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Oct 8, 2018 at 4:14 pm Reason: clean-up after move
Old Oct 8, 2018, 6:40 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by manstein58
{H}ave other fliers noticed that the predeparture beverage is going the way of the dodo and the ivory-billed woodpecker?
+1,000 - seems the new departure pushback goals have had many downstream effects.....
Old Oct 8, 2018, 6:51 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
I had three domestic first class flights last week and on all of them I received a pre-departure beverage (and my choice of beverage as well). Only on one flight we were served once the doors were closed…
Old Oct 8, 2018, 6:58 pm

Programs: AC SE
Originally Posted by goodeats21

Yes, I find UAX is terrible for this. On a recent trip with 4 segments (2 on mainline, 2 on express), I was 2/2 for PDB on mainline and 0/2 on the UAX flights. The FA's had plenty of time to offer a PDB before pushback, but didn't. Mainline can be somewhat inconsistent, but I find UAX is far worse at offering PDB.
Old Oct 8, 2018, 9:17 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Million Miler, Marriott platinum, lifetime platinum
I have been lucky, I can't remember the last flight I had with no service, and full bar, and early AM.
Flying Machine likes this.
Old Oct 15, 2018, 10:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
UA499 ORD-SFO today. 739. Perfectly normal on time boarding. No PBDs offered.
Originally Posted by narvik
If they were really chatting, it is not out-of-line with UA's official policy on FA duties then (in order of importance):

1) Making loud noise in Galley & update all FA on latest gossip
2) Establish cabin temperature suitable for FA
3) FA comfort
4) Passenger safety
5) Passenger comfort
2.5) Complaim about how they’re only this flight since they didn’t get the schedule they wanted.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Oct 15, 2018 at 12:03 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Oct 15, 2018, 12:31 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I had a flight that boarded late and the FA's skipped PDB's but apologized to the F cabin after closing the door explaining that they had to get the flight out on time. That is the right way to do it if there is a lapse in service. We boarded a full 738 in 20 minutes instead of 35 minutes, so I guess it was fair. Service on the flight was otherwise good.
iluv2fly likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.