Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Disappointed with lack of pre-departure beverage (PDB) & other experiences

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Disappointed with lack of pre-departure beverage (PDB) & other experiences

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2019, 3:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm fairly new to United. I'm 2/2 on pdb (SFO-OGG and back on 752).

I flew them once last year (SFO-PHX; my first purchase with my CSR) and I think I got a pdb then too, but it was too long ago to be sure.

What I like about UA PDB is that it's full bar. On AS they have gone to sparkling wine (which I don't drink), juice (which I also don't drink) or water. And half the time they don't bother to offer it. Even on JL (in F!!) the only pdb options were champagne (again, which I don't drink) or water (or maybe juice, I don't remeber) I asked for a beer and I was told I could get one after takeoff. Service was beyond outstanding but I was very surprised to be limited in PDB choice.

I appreciate being able to get a scotch or a beer before takeoff. So, good job, UA.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 8:27 am

Programs: DYKWIA, But I'm a "Diamond Guest" UA 1K/2MM
Originally Posted by manstein58
UA 3401 CLT/EWR. Boarded 1140 then delayed until 1300 because gas guys overloaded tanks. FA did not offer FC Cabin anything. Flirting with GA and surfing on i phone took priority. Over an hour
I would send a complaint to GS. It is described as part of the service. Neglecting to provide it constitutes a failure.
Kannai likes this.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 4:27 pm

Programs: UA-GS 1MM), Hertz Pres Circle, Starriott Titanium)
UA322

Been sitting on UA322 CLE-IAH. Was first to board, still not so much as a water offered after nearly 30 min of sitting here with flight fully boarded, no delay.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 4:29 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Originally Posted by LordHamster
Been sitting on UA322 CLE-IAH. Was first to board, still not so much as a water offered after nearly 30 min of sitting here with flight fully boarded, no delay.
Did you ask for something?
Old Mar 20, 2019, 4:34 pm

Programs: Hilton-Diamond Lifetime Platinum AA UA, WN-CP, SPG Gold.
I was not offered s PDD, and sat in 2 A. DCA IND, So upset I could cry,

The FA were late, it was their fault,

Got home safe, all I care about..
Old Mar 20, 2019, 4:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM
Sorta OT ... about a month ago traveling LAX-SAT I boarded with the 1Ks after all the pax with small children and military personnel. I was the second person to take their seat in the F cabin. As the other F pax and I were taking our seats, the FA subsequently started asking every other F pax what they wanted for their PDB! We looked at each other, both confused about why we had been passed over. Did she just assume that we weren't sitting up front for some reason?

But we eventually got our PDBs, too ... and arrived at SAT safely. So all ended up right with the world (aboard UA #5755 , that is) that evening.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 4:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by satman40
I was not offered s PDD, and sat in 2 A. DCA IND, So upset I could cry,

The FA were late, it was their fault,

Got home safe, all I care about..
Were you flying AA?
Old Mar 21, 2019, 7:26 am

Programs: Hilton-Diamond Lifetime Platinum AA UA, WN-CP, SPG Gold.
Yes, and no drink, only one during the flight and no refills,

Not a good group of FA, late to work, and even later in the job,
Old Mar 25, 2019, 1:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Three more no-PDB: two mainline sub-2h flights, one to-US Polaris (one FA wandered around with a tray of OJ, but never stopped by me). No delays.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 2:30 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Sometimes, FA gave PDBs to early-boarding pax and he/she was busy on food ordering while I settled down due to late boarding. On B772 with four-across seating in a row, the middle pax could be often forgotten. I was passed over for PDBs on my last B772 flights. Did I get upset? No, I was happy to get the upgrades (CPU/RPU) and could lie flat for 4-5 hours.
I have to say that some FAs were not too concentrated on their job to make every passenger happy.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 2:51 am

Programs: UA Gold (1K 2016–2023 by miracle extensions; RIP 1K status), 1MM
Zero PDBs in Polaris—at least the back cabin—on UA837 SFO to HND on 3/25. Boarding had been very delayed because of weather in SFO but I was shocked they couldn't even walk around with a tray of drinks. Maybe it's the result of them cutting that one staff position.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 9:45 am

Programs: American EXP; British Airways Gold
Originally Posted by Kannai
Zero PDBs in Polaris—at least the back cabin—on UA837 SFO to HND on 3/25. Boarding had been very delayed because of weather in SFO but I was shocked they couldn't even walk around with a tray of drinks. Maybe it's the result of them cutting that one staff position.
Just flew LAX-EWR-LAX on the 787-10 in Polaris Business. Both flights full.

LAX-EWR scheduled to depart 9:15pm. Crew definitely not lazy, but seemed somewhat overwhelmed with the tasks to perform. Did receive a cold bottled water prior to departure.

EWR-LAX scheduled to depart 7:00am. More senior crew seemed relaxed and familiar with the aircraft. Full PDB served. ^
Old Mar 26, 2019, 7:02 pm

Programs: UA Gold (1K 2016–2023 by miracle extensions; RIP 1K status), 1MM
Originally Posted by jcatman

LAX-EWR scheduled to depart 9:15pm. Crew definitely not lazy, but seemed somewhat overwhelmed with the tasks to perform. Did receive a cold bottled water prior to departure.
Yeah, on my SFO NRT, there was a large bottle of water at each seat, but the crew were rushing around, at least in the rear Polaris cabin, and seemed, as you write, overwhelmed.
Old Mar 31, 2019, 4:34 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
3/3 for PDBs on United this year, sure better than my upgrade percentage which is 3/8
Old Mar 31, 2019, 8:44 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Million Miler, Marriott platinum, lifetime platinum
I can safely say I havet NOT had a PDB in at least 50 flights. And none of those include just water. The least amount of serviced offered was a tray of water, Oj, or Processo. Once offered that tray, I asked for something else, and it was no problem.
United747 and VegasGambler like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.